PDA

View Full Version : Al Gore Admits His Melting Ice Cap Predictions Were Bogus

Fire Haley
12-15-2009, 05:37 PM
A ManBearPig sighting...

Copenhagen climate summit: Al Gore condemned over Arctic ice melting prediction

Speaking at the Copenhagen climate change summit, Mr Gore said new computer modelling suggests there is a 75 per cent chance of the entire polar ice cap melting during the summertime by 2014.

However, he faced embarrassment last night after Dr Wieslav Maslowski, the climatologist whose work the prediction was based on, refuted his claims.

Dr Maslowski, of the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, told The Times: “It’s unclear to me how this figure was arrived at.

“I would never try to estimate likelihood at anything as exact as this.”

The blunder follows the controversy over hacked emails from the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit, which sceptics claim suggest scientists manipulated data to strengthen their argument that global warming is man-made

Dr Maslowki said that his latest results give a six-year projection for the melting of 80 per cent of the ice, but he said he expects some ice to remain beyond 2020.

He added: “I was very explicit that we were talking about near-ice-free conditions and not completely ice-free conditions in the northern ocean.”

Following Dr Maslowski’s comments, Mr Gore’s office later said the 75 per cent figure was one used by Dr Maslowksi as a “ballpark figure” several years ago in a conversation with Mr Gore.

Mr Gore’s speech also provoked criticism from leading members of the climate science community, who described the projection as “aggressive”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-climate-change-confe/6815470/Copenhagen-climate-summit-Al-Gore-condemned-over-Arctic-ice-melting-prediction.html

-----------------------------

What a farce.

Meanwhile, China says, screw you guys, we're going home.

Shouldn't we be happy China gets lower pollution standards now that they make all our stuff?

"What's good for the syndicate is good for the country"

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 05:40 PM
You mean that despite the previous two ice ages coming and going in the previous 4 billion years we aren't to blame for the "irreversible damage" over just the last 100 years????

YAAAY!!!! I can keep my F150!!!! YAAAAAY!!!!!

Al Gore is a dope. :coffee:

Fire Haley
12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Follow the money, it's all about the money.

fansince'76
12-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Speaking at the Copenhagen climate change summit, Mr Gore said new computer modelling suggests there is a 75 per cent chance of the entire polar ice cap melting during the summertime by 2014.

Good thing for us the world is gonna end on December 21, 2012, huh? :chuckle:

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 06:19 PM

lol.

Why wasn't Gore held responsible for the Y2K panic? Ya know, since he invented the internet and all. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
12-15-2009, 06:50 PM
More unintended consequences

Energy efficient traffic lights can't melt snow

MILWAUKEE – Cities around the country that have installed energy-efficient traffic lights are discovering a hazardous downside: The bulbs don't burn hot enough to melt snow and can become crusted over in a storm — a problem blamed for dozens of accidents and at least one death.

"I've never had to put up with this in the past," said Duane Kassens, a driver from West Bend who got into a fender-bender recently because he couldn't see the lights. "The police officer told me the new lights weren't melting the snow. How is that safe?"

Many communities have switched to LED bulbs in their traffic lights because they use 90 percent less energy than the old incandescent variety, last far longer and save money. Their great advantage is also their drawback: They do not waste energy by producing heat.

Authorities in several states are testing possible solutions, including installing weather shields, adding heating elements like those used in airport runway lights, or coating the lights with water-repellent substances.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091215/ap_on_re_us/us_snow_covered_stoplights

Fire Haley
12-15-2009, 06:56 PM
This is the stuff I love to read

Journalists Freeze Waiting To Get Into Global Warming Conference

A group of journalists stood for many hours in near-freezing temperatures Monday waiting to get into the United Nations climate change conference in Copenhagen.

With U.N. security letting in only those cleared last week, hundreds of accredited delegates, journalists and NGO representatives were left to stand for hours in near-freezing temperatures before being let through. "It was crazy," AP's Seth Borenstein said. "You couldn't leave the line. You couldn't go to the bathroom, you couldn't eat. Then snowflakes started falling. One woman even said, 'if lightning strikes me, would they take me out of line?'"

People started handing out food -- one gave out tangerines, another croissants. A man screamed "I don't need food. I need socks! I'm freezing my ass off out here." At one point, a U.N. official announced the wait would be longer, prompting the crowd to boo and chant "Let Us In!" [...]

Seth himself stepped into the line at 7:55 a.m. and was through at 3:15 p.m., but only after another AP reporter, John Heilprin, "saved my bacon" by persuading a U.N. security guard to go out and fetch him. "John was afraid to go out himself in case they wouldn't let him back in ... the first thing I did when I saw him was give him a big hug. I have never been so grateful to be indoors." Seth's neighbors in line? "Oh they're still out there."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2009/12/15/journalists-freeze-waiting-get-global-warming-conference

smokin3000gt
12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
You mean that despite the previous two ice ages coming and going in the previous 4 billion years we aren't to blame for the "irreversible damage" over just the last 100 years????

YAAAY!!!! I can keep my F150!!!! YAAAAAY!!!!!

Al Gore is a dope. :coffee:

Only if it is the V6 that burns peanut oil and mouse farts.

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Only if it is the V6 that burns peanut oil and mouse farts.

Nuh uh! Al Gore said. :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Gore is a tool. He wont talk to anyone that challenges his theory. Global Warming is a hoax so they renamed it Climate Change. Humans are not responsible for this in any way and we are gonna kill industry in this country because of this crap. How come Russia and China dont seem worried about it? They know is a hoax. Also did yall hear where CO2 is now considered a dangerous gas that adds to climate change. We breath co2 and turn it into oxygen. Proof this crap is a joke

stillers4me
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Never let a few facts get in the way of an oppurtunity for exploitation.

GBMelBlount
12-15-2009, 09:15 PM
I like Al Gore.

He is not your typical greedy selfish bastard who lies and deceives people simply to line his own pockets.

He actually cares about us .....and the planet.

Go Al! :cheer:

stillers4me
12-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I like Al Gore.

He is not your typical greedy selfish bastard who lies and deceives people simply to line his own pockets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/sarcasm2.gif

Fixed it for ya. :wink02:

smokin3000gt
12-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Yay Al!!

http://thepointofitall.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/captainplanet.jpg

:cheer:

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 09:26 PM
I like Al Gore.

:rofl:

High five on that one!

Somebody's been having a bowl of funny for breakfast lately. lol

GBMelBlount
12-15-2009, 09:51 PM
:rofl:

Somebody's been having a bowl of funny for breakfast lately. lol

Yes, I just had my daily feel good bowl of "liberals care"....yummy....

It's chock full of nuts. :chuckle:

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Yes, I just had my daily feel good bowl of "liberals care"....yummy....

It's chock full of nuts. :chuckle:

:chuckle:

Yet another zinger! :rofl:

tony hipchest
12-15-2009, 10:05 PM
so instead of a 75% chance that the entire ice cap is melted in 2014, we get a 6 year projection that only 80% will be gone in 6 years, and a few ice cubes should still be there in 2020? :cheer:

i feel so much better now. :rolleyes:

in other great news al gore predicted that there was a 75% chance that all my family and loved ones would be dead in 2014. dr. maslowski cleared that up by saying only 80% of my family would be in a coma and on life support in 2015. :thumbsup:

you guys are funny.

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 10:12 PM
you guys are funny.

I know.

Everybody funny. Now you funny too.

GBMelBlount
12-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I know (Tony).

Everybody funny. Now you funny too.

Bwaaaahaaaahaaaa! OMG! I cannot even breath I am laughing so hard!!!!!!!!

C'mon Tony, lighten up, we realize Al Gore is right, we're just having fun....:sofunny:

Borski
12-15-2009, 10:52 PM
More unintended consequences

Energy efficient traffic lights can't melt snow

MILWAUKEE – Cities around the country that have installed energy-efficient traffic lights are discovering a hazardous downside: The bulbs don't burn hot enough to melt snow and can become crusted over in a storm — a problem blamed for dozens of accidents and at least one death.

"I've never had to put up with this in the past," said Duane Kassens, a driver from West Bend who got into a fender-bender recently because he couldn't see the lights. "The police officer told me the new lights weren't melting the snow. How is that safe?"

Many communities have switched to LED bulbs in their traffic lights because they use 90 percent less energy than the old incandescent variety, last far longer and save money. Their great advantage is also their drawback: They do not waste energy by producing heat.

Authorities in several states are testing possible solutions, including installing weather shields, adding heating elements like those used in airport runway lights, or coating the lights with water-repellent substances.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091215/ap_on_re_us/us_snow_covered_stoplights

I greatly prefer the LED lights, they are much easier to see then some of the older traffic lights where they are so dim sometimes you cant tell wich light is lit til you get right up on them. Also the snow problem could easly be fixed by adding some kind of little heater just to warm it enough during snow storms.

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I greatly prefer the LED lights, they are much easier to see then some of the older traffic lights where they are so dim sometimes you cant tell wich light is lit til you get right up on them. Also the snow problem could easly be fixed by adding some kind of little heater just to warm it enough during snow storms.

LED's make crappy Christmas lights though. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 09:20 AM
There's nothing wrong with trying to be more efficient, with cleaning up our act (There IS that giant cesspool of garbage the size of Texas out in the South Pacific), and with trying to come up with new reliabl cheap clean renewable energy.

Just do all that without in steps, and WITHOUT overburdening the very aspects of our society that literally drive the economy of this and every other country in the World.

fansince'76
12-16-2009, 09:25 AM
in other great news al gore predicted that there was a 75% chance that all my family and loved ones would be dead in 2014. dr. maslowski cleared that up by saying only 80% of my family would be in a coma and on life support in 2015. :thumbsup:

Dr. Maslowski also made the usual disclaimer for when this model is also proven to be dead wrong (like pretty much every other one that has attempted to model anything as complex as global climate patterns has been):

Dr Maslowski, of the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, told The Times: “It’s unclear to me how this figure was arrived at.

“I would never try to estimate likelihood at anything as exact as this.”

The world is coming to an end, unless of course, it actually doesn't. Next. :yawn:

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Again, I'll start trusting all these computer models for what will be happening to us in 5, 10, or 50 years as SOON as they can start accurately predicting the weather for, oh, say....tomorrow!

Remember reading that there were some weather models done back in the 60's WITHOUT computers, basically just intuitively projected that turned out to be more accurate than any of the most advanced computer models of today.

Fire Haley
12-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Again, I'll start trusting all these computer models for what will be happening to us in 5, 10, or 50 years as SOON as they can start accurately predicting the weather for, oh, say....tomorrow!.

You mean like how we're supposed to be having half a dozen Katrina-like hurricanes every year now like the Weather Channel hysterical drama queens keep predicting?

BWAHAHAAHAH - it's all a hoax.

Quietest hurricane season in over a decade.

http://www2.wnct.com/nct/news/local/article/2009s_atlantic_basin_hurricane_season_quietest_in_ over_a_decade/80313/

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
You mean like how we're supposed to be having half a dozen Katrina-like hurricanes every year now like the Weather Channel hysterical drama queens keep predicting?

BWAHAHAAHAH - it's all a hoax.

Quietest hurricane season in over a decade.

http://www2.wnct.com/nct/news/local/article/2009s_atlantic_basin_hurricane_season_quietest_in_ over_a_decade/80313/

The worst aspect of that is that people simply don't BELIEVE it. They believe in Global Warming. So, when "The News" says that "all" these "increasing" hurricanes and storms are due to Global Warming, it's simply swallowed as truth...

It's worse elsewhere...I listen to a BBC radio show on occasion called "World Have Your Say". Global Warming is a frequent topic. People from other Countries seem to have TOTALLY bought into this, to the point where they are absolutely convinced that we are all going to die in a catastrophic Climate Change event in a few years. They consider anyone who even QUESTIONS the theory to be an absolute crackpot. It's actually scary to see how this junk science has swept the globe in a relatively short period of time.

Fire Haley
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
The soap opera with the global warming hoax continues.

A few weeks ago, stories circulated that e-mails between scientists at major universities had been uncovered. These e-mails were exchanged between staunch global warming proponents. The crux of the e-mails was to cover up any incriminating data, which could refute the global warming argument.

This is not science. This is fraud. The earth’s temperature may be rising or lowering. That determination should be made by honest climatologists not by Michael Mann of Penn State University and Phil Jones of the Climate Research Union in England. These two hucksters are ivory tower crooks. They schemed to tell the world that climate change is real and imminent. Jones stepped down from his position at the CRU. If he were worth his scientific salt, he would’ve come clean with his data and refuted the e-mails. Instead he was a coward who ran and hid. Mann should be run out of academe. We could get Joe-Pa, Penn State’s head football coach, to kick Mann out of Happy Valley.

Obama’s Science Czar, John Holdren is as guilty as Mann and Jones in this whole global warming hoax. To make the issue more comical, these so-called experts or liars along with leaders around the world are convening at a climate change summit in Copenhagen even after this fraudulent con game has been exposed. The only reason to conduct the convention was not to change the earth’s climate but the call girls of Copenhagen offered to provide their services to the attendees for free. So these mousy ‘nit-nerds’ like Holdren who couldn’t pick up a female if she jumped on his lap weren’t going to pass on that opportunity, carbon footprint or not.

The Copenhagen conference will pressure the United States to pay billions and compromise our industry to placate these liars. Meanwhile China and India, the biggest polluters on this planet, will sacrifice nothing. Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil producer, will laugh at these people or shut off oil production if they’re threatened with any sanctions.

The intention of these frauds is to cash in on the global warming scare mongering. Al Gore has done it and he’s reaped millions. The fact that Al Gore was front and center of the global warming crusade should be the first indication that the global warming was a hoax. Gore is the consummate hypocrite and fraud himself. We know his carbon footprint is the size of Pluto. He travels in luxury in a Gulfstream Jet. His own residence uses 12 times more energy than the average American homeowner. Some concern for the environment Gore has. Though Gore never had a concern for anyone but himself. He stands to make millions on the cap and trade offsets. He would never publicly admit that.

Gore and the liberals are coming to the professors’ defense citing the e-mails were illegally obtained. When did a liberal ever criticize a whistle blower? When did the New York Times or the major networks ever turn down a good scoop? The Washington Post canonized Deep Throat. He was primary source for reporter Bob Woodward during the Nixon Watergate scandal.

Jones and Mann had the same greedy intentions of reaping from the cap and trade revenue stream. If these two frauds want to really save the planet, they could put their so-called expertise to good use. They could develop methods to harness solar and wind power that they vehemently demand the rest of us utilize. Or find a way to make our cars run on salt water.

They’ll be wealthy beyond their wildest dreams without sharing a penny with Al Gore.

http://www.examiner.com/x-26060-Oakland-County-Republican-Examiner~y2009m12d16-The-soap-opera-with-the-global-warming-hoax-continues

Fire Haley
12-16-2009, 03:08 PM
"Don't tase me bro"

http://newsimages.emerald.synacor.com/ap_photos//c25a5dbd-e7ae-45a5-ae92-407663f22c72.jpeg

Danish riot policeman beats a demonstrator who climbed on top of a police vehicle during a demonstration outside the Bella Center, the venue of the U.N. Climate Conference, in Copenhagen Wednesday Dec. 16, 2009

Steelerstrength
12-16-2009, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE= YAAAY!!!! I can keep my F150!!!! YAAAAAY!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

I gotta have my truck! Question, because I own an F-150 Platinum Crew, and a ZO6, is that balanced by the fact that I bought my wife a Prius? BTW, she loves that car, and averages 46 mpg!

Steelerstrength
12-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Gore is a tool. He wont talk to anyone that challenges his theory. Global Warming is a hoax so they renamed it Climate Change. Humans are not responsible for this in any way and we are gonna kill industry in this country because of this crap. How come Russia and China dont seem worried about it? They know is a hoax. Also did yall hear where CO2 is now considered a dangerous gas that adds to climate change. We breath co2 and turn it into oxygen. Proof this crap is a joke

Uh, did you really intend to say that we inhale Co2 and exhale oxygen? Let's just refer to it as a minor mix-up.

The gym I train at is going through ventilation issues regarding the lack of fresh air integrated into their system. They were recycling existing air without integrating any fresh air at all. I personally tested the Co2 emissions, which are suggested by OSHA to be limited at 1,000 ppm for indoors, and the concentration tested at up to 2,591 ppm. Headache, fatigue, dry mouth, nausea, are all symptoms of a high Co2 concentration level, which is listed as anything over 1,500 ppm.

More of an FYI.

GBMelBlount
12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
....I own an F-150 Platinum Crew, and a ZO6, is that balanced by the fact that I bought my wife a Prius?

I'm not sure D.

That is something that God,

errrr, ummmm, I meant Al gore, will have to decide. :flap:

NJarhead
12-16-2009, 03:58 PM
I gotta have my truck! Question, because I own an F-150 Platinum Crew, and a ZO6, is that balanced by the fact that I bought my wife a Prius? BTW, she loves that car, and averages 46 mpg!

I'm not sure D.

That is something that God,

errrr, ummmm, I meant Al gore, will have to decide. :flap:

Hmmm. You may need to balance that out with more efficient light bulbs in your house and perhaps some LED Christmas lights for the tree. :chuckle:

MACH1
12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Hmmm. You may need to balance that out with more efficient light bulbs in your house and perhaps some LED Christmas lights for the tree. :chuckle:

I balance out my 9 miles to the gallon Mach1 with my F150. Does that count. :chuckle:

Oh and the Mach only makes appearances in the summer time.

Indo
12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
I balance out my 9 miles to the gallon Mach1 with my F150. Does that count. :chuckle:

Oh and the Mach only makes appearances in the summer time.

post a photo of it
( I have to live vicariously thru those that actually have cool cars...
when I was in High school my (female) geometry teacher drove a Shelby Cobra with slick, fat rear tires.
I mention that she was female because the muscle-car thing is usually a guy thing...but believe me---good lookin' woman roaring up the road was SEXY

Fire Haley
12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Climategate goes SERIAL: now the Russians confirm that UK climate scientists manipulated data to exaggerate global warming

Climategate just got much, much bigger. And all thanks to the Russians who, with perfect timing, dropped this bombshell just as the world’s leaders are gathering in Copenhagen to discuss ways of carbon-taxing us all back to the dark ages.

A discussion of the November 2009 Climatic Research Unit e-mail hacking incident, referred to by some sources as “Climategate,” continues against the backdrop of the abortive UN Climate Conference in Copenhagen (COP15) discussing alternative agreements to replace the 1997 Kyoto Protocol that aimed to combat global warming.

The incident involved an e-mail server used by the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Norwich, East England. Unknown persons stole and anonymously disseminated thousands of e-mails and other documents dealing with the global-warming issue made over the course of 13 years.

Controversy arose after various allegations were made including that climate scientists colluded to withhold scientific evidence and manipulated data to make the case for global warming appear stronger than it is.

Climategate has already affected Russia. On Tuesday, the Moscow-based Institute of Economic Analysis (IEA) issued a report claiming that the Hadley Center for Climate Change based at the headquarters of the British Meteorological Office in Exeter (Devon, England) had probably tampered with Russian-climate data.

The IEA believes that Russian meteorological-station data did not substantiate the anthropogenic global-warming theory. Analysts say Russian meteorological stations cover most of the country’s territory, and that the Hadley Center had used data submitted by only 25% of such stations in its reports. Over 40% of Russian territory was not included in global-temperature calculations for some other reasons, rather than the lack of meteorological stations and observations.

The data of stations located in areas not listed in the Hadley Climate Research Unit Temperature UK (HadCRUT) survey often does not show any substantial warming in the late 20th century and the early 21st century.

The HadCRUT database includes specific stations providing incomplete data and highlighting the global-warming process, rather than stations facilitating uninterrupted observations.

On the whole, climatologists use the incomplete findings of meteorological stations far more often than those providing complete observations.

IEA analysts say climatologists use the data of stations located in large populated centers that are influenced by the urban-warming effect more frequently than the correct data of remote stations.

The scale of global warming was exaggerated due to temperature distortions for Russia accounting for 12.5% of the world’s land mass. The IEA said it was necessary to recalculate all global-temperature data in order to assess the scale of such exaggeration.

Global-temperature data will have to be modified if similar climate-date procedures have been used from other national data because the calculations used by COP15 analysts, including financial calculations, are based on HadCRUT research.

What the Russians are suggesting here, in other words, is that the entire global temperature record used by the IPCC to inform world government policy is a crock.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100020126/climategate-goes-serial-now-the-russians-confirm-that-uk-climate-scientists-manipulated-data-to-exaggerate-global-warming/

beSteelmyheart
12-16-2009, 08:34 PM

I hope so, I'm getting so sick of this crap. Instead of being a slave/worker bee for greedy corporations & politicians maybe I'll get to try my hand at being a slave for an alien culture...Maybe at least I'll get free travel..

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 08:38 PM
One of Michael Crichton's strongest and most salient points was that the data is HIGHLY dubious when it's coming from dubious sources. Yes, NASA's data from the US and peripheral area's is almost certainly 100% legit....but as you drift further away, the date gets less and less trustworthy....

This certainly confirms that....and then we have to roll back on the old "garbage in, garbage out" scenario...

Fire Haley
12-17-2009, 07:06 PM
we have to roll back on the old "garbage in, garbage out" scenario...

Unfortunately, all the young minds are-being/have-been brainwashed and condtioned by our school systems to believe all the hysteria.

Yes - "scientists" and their grant money too. They just fail to see they are being manipulated by the very corporations the hippies wanted torn down.

Money rules, no matter if it comes from oil or gas or electric.

Write that down.

It's all a cult thing now.

Fire Haley
12-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Chavez barstormed through chanting communist logans and denouncing capitalism.

Obama came, he spoke, and no one cared.

India and China stood up together and walked out.

Copenhagen = epic fail.

Fire Haley
12-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Hugo is always good for a laugh.....

Chavez says U.S. climate proposals laughable

COPENHAGEN, Dec 18 (Reuters) - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez called the United States "the great polluter" on Friday and accused President Barack Obama of trying to fix a climate deal behind the backs of other leaders.

"The emperor who comes in the middle of the night and in the darkness, then behind everyone's back and in an anti-democratic way cooks up a document....that we will not accept," Chavez told a U.N. climate summit in Copenhagen. ...

At another UN meeting in 2006, Chavez took on then-President George W. Bush, calling him a "devil" and adding that the podium where Bush had spoken a day earlier "still smells of sulfur today." Chavez continued in that vein in Copenhagen, saying: "I still smell sulfur. I still smell sulfur in this world."

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LDE5BH1IJ.htm