PDA

View Full Version : "but the Colts win games without a running game..."

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I've been seeing this comment in numerous posts lately. The problem is that Arians thinks the exact same way! Now I love Ben and I wouldn't trade him for any qb in the league, but BEN IS NOT MANNING!

This idiotic assessment of how your run an offense is what got us in trouble. Arians does not know how to use the talent around him and it seems that he thinks on the same level as the fans that post this BS and that isn't a good thing.

Your thoughts...
:doh:

TheWarDen86
12-15-2009, 04:59 PM
:rolleyes:

The Arians argument is OLD. What is this, thread 10?

:coffee:

Preacher
12-15-2009, 05:00 PM

:chuckle:

Over the last year and ahalf, try like thread 110.

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Over the last year and ahalf, try like thread 110.

True, I was just reading some through some posts and it got the best of me. Should have cooled off before I made another post about it.

fansince'76
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
The Colts' D, for all its faults, also produces turnovers and makes plays when it has to (see red zone INT of Orton this past Sunday as the latest example), something our defense has failed to do during this 5-game skid.

Preacher
12-15-2009, 05:07 PM
The Colts' D, for all its faults, also produces turnovers and makes plays when it has to (see red zone INT of Orton in a tight game this past Sunday as the latest example), something our defense has failed to do during this 5-game skid.

Yep.

Not only that, but they are able to run when they have to. Kind of interesting that they have one of the few 100 yard SB RB's in the last 15 years.

SteelGhost
12-15-2009, 05:23 PM
... but .... The Colts play "empty backfield stubborness" on 3rd and 1 too ???? :rofl:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-15-2009, 06:02 PM
The Steelers can't be built like the Colts because
A) The Steelers O-Line is not good enough
B) The Steelers receivers are not good enough
Ben is really not the problem here.

casteeler
12-15-2009, 06:05 PM
what i'm tired of is people thinking that the pittsburgh running game should be mendenhall and parker. i like mendenhall but we need a big back, if we had one then3rd and 1 wouldn't be an issue.plus i don't know about you guys but with recent cuncussions big ben sneeking on 4th and inches makes me very very nervous.so it's seems logical to have a mendenhall- big back one two punch.... sorry parker

Preacher
12-15-2009, 06:07 PM
The Steelers can't be built like the Colts because
A) The Steelers O-Line is not good enough
B) The Steelers receivers are not good enough
Ben is really not the problem here.

Sorry to disagree with you there, but I would put our three top WR's against anyone else in the league.

Let Peyton Manning throw to our top three guys and see what happens.

The line... well, they have come a long way from last year. But there is still a problem there. Now, however, I think it is a lot more scheming than anything else.

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Sorry to disagree with you there, but I would put our three top WR's against anyone else in the league.

The line... well, they have come a long way from last year. But there is still a problem there. Now, however, I think it is a lot more scheming than anything else.

This

JHSilverback
12-16-2009, 12:02 AM

agreed...id rather set up the run which allows the play action pass and will buy ben more time in the pocket

pepsyman1
12-16-2009, 01:40 AM

Peyton is definitely a unique QB that has the ability to seemingly turn pro football into a video game...He's a rarity...even when you think back to someone like Joe Montana and the 49ers, they always had a dependable running game as part of their gameplan, even if it was a smaller percentage of their offense than the pass. There isn't another QB that does the INTENSE studying that Manning does. Manning usually knows not only all the offensive assignments for his team, but frequently assesses all the defenses assignments of an opponent the moment he walks up to the line. If anyone else in the league thinks they are gonna emulate what Manning does, they are gonna run into trouble. I don't think there is another QB in the league that works through his progressions and makes decisions as quick as Manning does...hence, a second reason why he's only been sacked 10 times all year. And Preacher is right, our receivers are definitely the equal of what the Colts have now.

Aussie_steeler
12-16-2009, 02:10 AM
But I win games on Madden without a running game. Does that mean that I have Manning like qualities or my receivers are an elite group that overcome my shortcomings as a QB?

mesaSteeler
12-16-2009, 05:50 AM
The Colts play in a dome we do not.

HometownGal
12-16-2009, 07:43 AM

Not to fret, buddy. If BA gets canned at the end of the season, they'll just find another witch to hunt next season.

The_WARDen
12-16-2009, 07:47 AM

umm...Peyton could throw to 3 guys name Moe and make them look good.

T.Richardson
12-16-2009, 08:06 AM
umm...Peyton could throw to 3 guys name Moe and make them look good.

Peyton could call an audible 3 times at the line, and throw a TD pass to The_WARDen, he is THAT good!

The_WARDen
12-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Peyton could call an audible 3 times at the line, and throw a TD pass to The_WARDen, he is THAT good!

depending on where we were on the field, his line would probably need to block a bit longer than usual for the pattern to develop... ie - to give me time to get my slow ass down the field and into the end zone.

BritishSteel
12-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Well the Colts do run the ball when they have to. Not very well, but they can do enough. They've also been drafting and getting free agents on the basis of having a strongly pass-focused offence since they got Manning, so they're miles further down the line in setting up players, playbooks and drilling players year after year in the 'airing-it-out' school of football. We've been doing it two seasons, and even last season we ran the ball when we needed to.

TheWarDen86
12-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Not to fret, buddy. If BA gets canned at the end of the season, they'll just find another witch to hunt next season.

Oh, I believe it.

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 10:50 AM
If BA is the culprit all the braintrust members seem to believe that he is, why isn;t his name being bandied about by disgruntled Steelers players? Tomlin? The FO?

There is a LOT of blame being handed out, but, honestly, all things being equal, NOT as much as expected at the guy (sarcasm) so CLEARLY the root of all the Steelers woes.

fansince'76
12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
But I win games on Madden without a running game. Does that mean that I have Manning like qualities or my receivers are an elite group that overcome my shortcomings as a QB?

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Atranox
12-16-2009, 11:26 AM
what i'm tired of is people thinking that the pittsburgh running game should be mendenhall and parker. i like mendenhall but we need a big back, if we had one then3rd and 1 wouldn't be an issue.plus i don't know about you guys but with recent cuncussions big ben sneeking on 4th and inches makes me very very nervous.so it's seems logical to have a mendenhall- big back one two punch.... sorry parker

What's getting old is people clamoring for a "big back", as if that's going to solve our issues. We do just fine in short-yardage situations WHEN we run. The problem is that we don't do it enough.

Mendenhall is more than capable of handing 3rd & 4th & 1's ... he's one of the stronger running backs in the league. Just because he isn't 260 lbs doesn't mean that he isn't a capable short-yardage options. One of the best short-yardage backs is Maurice Jones-Drew, and he's a far cry from a "big back".

MACH1
12-16-2009, 11:34 AM
If BA is the culprit all the braintrust members seem to believe that he is, why isn;t his name being bandied about by disgruntled Steelers players? Tomlin? The FO?

There is a LOT of blame being handed out, but, honestly, all things being equal, NOT as much as expected at the guy (sarcasm) so CLEARLY the root of all the Steelers woes.

If he was such the genius some people make him out to be, why don't you hear his name come up on the hot list of future head coach's or any HC job possibility for that matter?

casteeler
12-16-2009, 11:37 AM
What's getting old is people clamoring for a "big back", as if that's going to solve our issues. We do just fine in shrt-yardage situation WHEN we run. The problem is that we don't do it enough.

Mendenhall is more than capable of handing 3rd & 4th & 1's ... he's one of the stronger running backs in the league. Just because he isn't 260 lbs doesn't mean that he isn't a capable short-yardage options. One of the best short-yardage backs is Maurice Jones-Drew, and he's a far cry from a "big back".

if he is capable then why shotgun on 3rd&1? i seem to remember @balt 3rd and short going with a sweep and not making it and then there is the 15 yard attemps on 3rd and6 or so.I realize that the o-line is not what it once was

The_WARDen
12-16-2009, 12:10 PM

No..that means that you obviously don't have BA calling the plays.

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
If he was such the genius some people make him out to be, why don't you hear his name come up on the hot list of future head coach's or any HC job possibility for that matter?

Nobody said he was.

And LOSING coordinators don't get HC jobs.

ANSWER my question instead of asking others for a change....

MACH1
12-16-2009, 01:37 PM

How do you know their not? Maybe thats part of the problem. Just because it's not public knowledge doesn't mean it isn't there. ie. Keeping it in house in the locker room.

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
How do you know their not? Maybe thats part of the problem. Just because it's not public knowledge doesn't mean it isn't there. ie. Keeping it in house in the locker room.

Why are they questioning EVERYTHING else then? They can keep some secrets, but not others?

It's illogical. He's being scapegoated, plain and simple. The FO very well MIGHT make a sacrificial lamb out of him. I'm not totally against that, either, if they can bring in someone better.

I WANT the Steelers to win. I just don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

WH
12-16-2009, 03:02 PM
The Colts win without a running game because Bruce Arians was Peyton Mannings QB coach when he first came into the league and coached him up to be the amazing QB he is. So says Peyton Manning.

revefsreleets
12-17-2009, 11:34 AM
If you're mocking me, that's fine...but please get the sentiment at least sort of resembling anything remotely CLOSE to what I actually said first, please.

markymarc
12-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Come on revefsreleets.......even you are intelligent enough to understand that it wouldn't be the Steelers style to bash a player or coach in the public. While Mike Tomlin made a semi-attempt to call out Ike Taylor and William Gay prior to the Browns game and we all know how that turned out.

That's not Mike Tomlin's style or anyone in the FO. For all we know the FO and Tomlin still love having Bruce Arians as the OC or they can't wait until the season is over and finally get rid of him. Bruce Arians along with other coaches and players are part of the problem. In the off season the entire Steeler Nation will find out what the Steelers organization feels is the problem and we will see if and when any changes are made.

IMO changes are needed on the coaching and player level in order to get this turned around and get back to winning again. I am actually very excited to see how Mike Tomlin responds to his first big head coaching challenge. I think it will be a fun off season.

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Come on revefsreleets.......even you are intelligent enough to understand that it wouldn't be the Steelers style to bash a player or coach in the public. While Mike Tomlin made a semi-attempt to call out Ike Taylor and William Gay prior to the Browns game and we all know how that turned out.

That's not Mike Tomlin's style or anyone in the FO. For all we know the FO and Tomlin still love having Bruce Arians as the OC or they can't wait until the season is over and finally get rid of him. Bruce Arians along with other coaches and players are part of the problem. In the off season the entire Steeler Nation will find out what the Steelers organization feels is the problem and we will see if and when any changes are made.

IMO changes are needed on the coaching and player level in order to get this turned around and get back to winning again. I am actually very excited to see how Mike Tomlin responds to his first big head coaching challenge. I think it will be a fun off season.

That's not accurate at all. The Steelers ARE publicly calling out players AND coaches.

How, exactly, does YOU denying the reality reflect adversely on MY intelligence? Especially when you start the post with a thinly veiled insult about how I'm clearly less knowledgeable than you?

devilsdancefloor
12-18-2009, 06:14 PM
i sadly get to see alot more colts games than steelers (unless i find the game streaming somewhere). The colts are awesome for 16 games a year! Manning is awesome for those games. But come play off time he chokes. The reason why is because he has NO run game & he cant play in bad weather. The defense this year has been better even without bob sanders. Plus tom moore is a hell of a coach. did i miss a press conference where coach T or a player called out a player or coach?

markymarc
12-19-2009, 10:25 PM
That's not accurate at all. The Steelers ARE publicly calling out players AND coaches.

How, exactly, does YOU denying the reality reflect adversely on MY intelligence? Especially when you start the post with a thinly veiled insult about how I'm clearly less knowledgeable than you?

You really can be a bitter person! I was not questioning your intelligence. I have heard Mike Tomlin call out 2 players so far this season and that was Ike Taylor and William Gay after the Raiders game. And to me that wasn't really calling them out, but his way of trying to motivate them to play better. He talked about benching and that never happened! Then you have players like Hines Ward talking about the coaches not putting them in positions to win games.

My point was that it's not typical protocol for the Steelers coaches, players or FO individuals to question or call out others in the media. This season is quite different due to a 5 game losing streak to teams like the Raiders, Browns, Chiefs, Bengals and Ravens.

But hey I guess we will find out this off season how the FO and Mike Tomlin truly feel about this coaching staff. If Bruce Arians is kept on as OC then you can pound your chest and say to everyone I was right and question most members intelligence on this board who have criticized Arians. But of course then you could see Arians demoted or let go.