PDA

View Full Version : 8 Prime time Thursday/Saturday Games On NFL Network In 2006

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Although the NFL had attempted to negotiate with Comcast to obtain another bidder for rights fees, the attached story in The New York Times states that 8 regular season games in 2006 that will be played in prime time on Thursdays and Saturdays will be "broadcast" on NFL Network.

I get NFL Network through DirecTV but I am not certain how widely available it is on cable systems. This may not seem like a big deal for now, but, leaving aside my surprise the league can take away games from Fox and CBS, this could be the start of the NFL taking games away from the networks to either force cable systems to carry NFL Network for a sweet fee or setting up its own "Sunday Ticket" pay per view programming (for those who have it, check out your Sunday Ticket contract - I believe it only gives DirecTV rights to sell games broadcast on CBS and Fox).

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/28/sports/football/28nfl.html

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 01:03 PM
this REALLY sucks. a terrible sign for the future. A bonanza for Directv, sports bars,maybe even short term for the NFL. But for fans and the longterm future of the league that has up until now always understood TV and accessibility, its really sad.

Brady12
01-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Wow, that is terrible, Games on Thursday?

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Looks like I'll have to start calling in sick on Fridays now too.

Livinginthe past
01-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Isn't it the same with just about every sport?

In their desperation to get as many golden eggs from the goose as possible they end up killing it altogether.

Fans who cant see their team on a reasonably regular basis will end up losing support - merchandising profits will fall - the knock on effect being salaries not being paid etc etc

The NFL is one of the greatest sporting franchises in the world - the quest for parity keeps most teams fanbase interested well into weeks 10-17.

NM

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Wow, that is terrible, Games on Thursday?

duh!! no, its that you have to get Directv to watch it!!!

hardwork
01-28-2006, 04:07 PM
"All games will be simulcast on local broadcast stations in the markets of the teams playing."

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 04:10 PM
"All games will be simulcast on local broadcast stations in the markets of the teams playing."

that'll help me a lot in frickin Florence,SC. that seals it. im moving back to New England.

hardwork
01-28-2006, 04:14 PM
that'll help me a lot in frickin Florence,SC. that seals it. im moving back to New England.

What? You don't live here, and you don't get the NFL network?

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 04:43 PM
What? You don't live here, and you don't get the NFL network?

no, stupid Directv down here doesnt carry local stations so i wouldnt have the Networks or local news etc... not very helpful when a hurricane comes.

so we get comcast.