PDA

View Full Version : Bettis: The Steelers have Lost their Spirit

BlastFurnace
12-16-2009, 11:40 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/16/bettis-steelers-lost-their-spirit/

"The Steelers are done. It's not official yet, but pretty much. When you lose your spirit, then everything is pretty much gone," Bettis said on the Dan Patrick Show Wednesday. "And that's what I saw when they hit the field against the Cleveland Browns."

We've heard Bettis speak on a variety of football topics and he's usually cautious to throw a team, especially his former team, under the . . . well, you know.

"It tells me the leadership isn't there," Bettis said. "There was a lack of commitment. The season is basically over."

Bettis doesn't think that Mike Tomlin's message is getting through to the team. Tomlin has largely avoided criticism during the team's collapse, but Bettis' words are noteworthy.

"I know there had to be a disconnect between the head coach's message and the players. You hear coach Tomlin talking about unleashing hell, and they go out and lay an egg . . . I don't think the players responded to it in practice, either week in practice: The Oakland week or the Cleveland week."

Tomlin isn't going anywhere, so Bettis' comments make us think the Steelers could be in for some dramatic roster movement this offseason to find players willing to listen.

Who performs over the next three weeks may go a long way towards deciding what Steelers get to stay.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
So are we in a rebuilding stage?

Sharkissle29
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
So are we in a rebuilding stage?

i dont think you should call it rebuilding, more like remodeling

SteelerEmpire
12-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Drop the hammer on em Tomlin... the situation calls for it. Theirs a LONG list of individuals that would love the opportunity to play football for the Pittsburgh Steelers... as well as coaches wanting to be on the coaching staff...

steelreserve
12-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Tomlin isn't going anywhere, so Bettis' comments make us think the Steelers could be in for some dramatic roster movement this offseason to find players willing to listen.

Who performs over the next three weeks may go a long way towards deciding what Steelers get to stay.

I don't know if that's necessarily the case. Just the fact that it's a new season will probably go a long way toward refocusing people next year. And maybe if some young guys get playing time and do well, or if they do well in training camp, that'll light a fire under the rest of the guys, kind of a reality check that you need to produce results to keep your job. But I don't see any wholesale roster moves just for the sake of sending a message.

If it's true that the team has checked out mentally and just wants to get this season behind them ... well, yeah, it'll be pretty difficult to salvage much from the last three games, whether they're technically still alive for the playoffs or not.

madtowndrunkard
12-16-2009, 12:58 PM
This team is WAY too talented to just blow up.

I see the need for a few minor upgrades player wise. The biggest changes need to be made to the coaching staff. You cannot get rid of all your players because they have no faith in the coaching staff. If nothing changes coaching wise we'll have the same issues next year and bringing in new players isnt going to fix it. The corp of our team is going no where.

To fix this situation Tomlin needs to look in the mirror. He needs to show he holds his staff accountable for this monumental collapse. Meaning most everyone on the offensive side of the ball should be shown the door. We need new blood on offense coaching this team. The offense needs to be re energized and I think an experienced and proven OC would make a world of difference.

The ST's coaches need to be replaced for obvious reasons. No discussion needed.

Defensively Coach Lebeau knows what he's doing. I think most of our issues defensively had to do with injuries and a few of underachievers ( Taylor, Gay, and Timmons.) One would hope that Timmons, Gay, and Hood will improve next year. Adding a good corner and up grading our FS would go along way IMO to making our defense deadly once again. Hampton is a big ? I feel that we need to re sign him, but it may not be in the cards. If we need to replace Hampton then I suspect it will be with our #1 draft pick.

As for Bettis's comments - this isnt the first time this kind of thing has been said. I think it speaks volumes about what the players think of Tomlin and his staff. I'm sure ownership will give him one more year to right the ship.

If I were running the team I'd do everything in my power to bring back Coach Cowher. Say what you want about Tomlin (good or bad) there's no doubt Cowher is the better coach. And I'm not saying Tomlin is a bad coach. I personally think the verdict is still out on Tomlin. Next year will tell us if he's good or not. But if I want to win games now....I have more faith in Cowher, who happens to be a proven future HOF coach.

T.Richardson
12-16-2009, 01:00 PM

I see the need for a few minor upgrades player wise. The biggest changes need to be made to the coaching staff. You cannot get rid of all your players because they have no faith in the coaching staff. If nothing changes coaching wise we'll have the same issues next year and bringing in new players isnt going to fix it. The corp of our team is going no where.

To fix this situation Tomlin needs to look in the mirror. He needs to show he holds his staff accountable for this monumental collapse. Meaning most everyone on the offensive side of the ball should be shown the door. We need new blood on offense coaching this team. The offense needs to be re energized and I think an experienced and proven OC would make a world of difference.

Defensively Coach Lebeau knows what he's doing. I think most of our issues defensively had to do with injuries and a few of underachievers ( Taylor, Gay, and Timmons.) One would hope that Timmons, Gay, and Hood will improve next year. Adding a good corner and up grading our FS would go along way IMO to making our defense deadly once again. Hampton is a big ? I feel that we need to re sign him, but it may not be in the cards. If we need to replace Hampton then I suspect it will be with our #1 draft pick.

As for Bettis's comments - this isnt the first time this kind of thing has been said. I think it speaks volumes about what the players think of Tomlin and his staff. I'm sure ownership will give him one more year to right the ship.

If I were running the team I'd do everything in my power to bring back Coach Cowher. Say what you want about Tomlin (good or bad) there's no doubt Cowher is the better coach. And I'm not saying Tomlin is a bad coach. I personally think the verdict is still out on Tomlin. Next year will tell us if he's good or not.

No...just no.

The_WARDen
12-16-2009, 01:06 PM

If I were running the team I'd do everything in my power to bring back Coach Cowher. Say what you want about Tomlin (good or bad) there's no doubt Cowher is the better coach. And I'm not saying Tomlin is a bad coach. I personally think the verdict is still out on Tomlin. Next year will tell us if he's good or not. But if I want to win games now....I have more faith in Cowher, who happens to be a proven future HOF coach.

WOW!!

:rofl:
:popcorn:

WH
12-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Madtown....

are you being sarcastic?

TheWarDen86
12-16-2009, 03:11 PM
No...just no.

WOW!!

:rofl:
:popcorn:

Madtown....

are you being sarcastic?

What they said.

devilsdancefloor
12-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Madtown....

are you being sarcastic?

nah he is serious i think he drunk post and then passes out

Men of Steel
12-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Matown... are you mad? :doh:

LVSteelersfan
12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!! Pretty funny stuff here. No way Cowher would come back and I watched enough Cowher losing in the playoffs over the years to not want him back. Besides he rooted for the wrong team in the Stanley Cup playoffs last year. That was a slap in the face to Pittsburgh. Cowher will go to a big city to coach. One that gets lots of press like a New York team or possibly Dallas. Dallas's coach is on the way out this year. He is a joke.

Nighthawk
12-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Personally I don't see anything wrong with what Mad said. He said the coaches need to be held responsible and especially the Offensive and ST coaches. It's something there has been an outcry for all season that our OC, Line coach, and ST coach needs to be replaced. Not sure why people are laughing at his post for it?

The last paragraph - while people will agree or not agree is just his opinion... nothing wrong with it.

madtowndrunkard
12-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Personally I don't see anything wrong with what Mad said. He said the coaches need to be held responsible and especially the Offensive and ST coaches. It's something there has been an outcry for all season that our OC, Line coach, and ST coach needs to be replaced. Not sure why people are laughing at his post for it?

The last paragraph - while people will agree or not agree is just his opinion... nothing wrong with it.

I expected those responses. They can't argue it really. I mean seriously does anyone really think Mike Tomlin is a better coach then Bill Cowher? Yea I know for a fact Cowher will never come back ....Obviously that will never happen but I merely stated a fact. Cowher is a better coach then Mike Tomiln and if you were the GM you to would do what ever you could to make this a winning team. Name one better coaching candidate then Bill Cowher right now? You can't....the city of Pittsburgh is just full of haters....that frankly never appreciated what they got.

I think after 3 seasons of watching Tomlin coach plus decades of Cowher and Noll you can make a pretty fair assessment that Tomlin is on the bottom of that list. He's still got time to change that but after this season I have my doubts.

Of course the main point of my previous post was not about Cowher vs Tomlin. It was about what Bettis said and what needs to be done if Tomlin wants to fix the current situation for next year. I guess they think we should just fire all the players.

Super Fan
12-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I think Tomlin treats professional players like college players....It does not work........

markymarc
12-18-2009, 02:11 PM
"It tells me the leadership isn't there," Bettis said. "There was a lack of commitment. The season is basically over."

This is the only quote I need to read from Jerome Bettis. I believe he is 100% correct with that statement.