PDA

View Full Version : Therrien vs Tomlin. Penguins vs. Steelers

plenewken
12-16-2009, 03:24 PM
The first got the ax when his team was on the verge of not making the playoffs last year after going to the Stanley Cup the year before. As you know, the Penguins won the Stanley Cup under the new coach.
The second is pretty much in the same position as Therrien was, but he'll most likely survive the debacle.

Does this mean Lemieux is more demanding than the Rooneys?

I'm not saying Tomlin should be fired, I'm just asking for your opinion on the subject.

JEFF4i
12-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Wow, go go correlative logic with an emphasis on far reaching correlations.

No it doesn't mean Lemieux is more demanding than the Rooneys, they are very different owners with very different teams in very different situations.

Luckily for Pittsburgh and myself, they both are good at what they do.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
No, it means that hockey is a much more "play for now" sport, where coach firings and trades are much more rampant than in football.

WH
12-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Therrien had the equivalent of 4 football seasons to get his shit together. So I would say the SFO and the PFO are equally as patient.

SteelCityMom
12-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Therrien had the equivalent of 4 football seasons to get his shit together. So I would say the SFO and the PFO are equally as patient.

Exactly.

A hockey season is roughly 7 months long and includes 82 games. It's typically broken up into quarters. Even a quarter season of hockey is longer (has more games) than regular season of football. Tomlin would have to go on a 3 year (horrid) losing streak to get fired the way Therrien did.

HometownGal
12-16-2009, 06:59 PM
The first got the ax when his team was on the verge of not making the playoffs last year after going to the Stanley Cup the year before. As you know, the Penguins won the Stanley Cup under the new coach.
The second is pretty much in the same position as Therrien was, but he'll most likely survive the debacle.

I'm not saying Tomlin should be fired, I'm just asking for your opinion on the subject.

Apples and oranges.

Prior to last season's Stanley Cup win, the Pens hadn't won a Stanley Cup for 16 seasons and Therrien had a plethora of fresh, young talent that wasn't being utilized in accordance with the goals Mario set out to accomplish. It also was a well known fact around the Burgh that Therrien wasn't liked much by his players as he ruled with an iron fist, so to speak. Tomlin, on the other hand, came in and won a Super Bowl in his second season with the Steelers becoming the youngest HC to do so. He put forth a philosophy that not only won over the FO, but the players, and they performed at a high level against all odds of them going to and winning the Super Bowl with such a tough schedule. Prior to Tomlin's hiring, the Steelers won the big prize 2 years ago and had a history of playoff appearances, division and conference titles, unlike the Pens. The situations are almost polar opposites in theory.

zulater
12-16-2009, 09:15 PM
A little off subject but in the same area code.

Shero is the best GM in hockey. I don't think that gets said enough. :thumbsup:

Also my son and I are going to the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia tommorow to watch the Pens play the Flyers. :tt:

4xSBChamps
12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Like-him-or-not, Therrien did bring accountability to the players, challenge Malkin to become the player he is today (when Crosby was hurt in early '08, Malkin carried the team on his back, at Therrien's urging) today, and it was refreshening to hear a coach 'tell it like it is'

agL3NHgb8Rk

imagine a football coach saying "what does guy will say if we take..... 50% of der salary, because dey only play 50% of de time?"

The Penguins would've never won the Cup last year with him behind the bench, but he took them within 2 games of the Championship the year before, and he does deserve some of the credit for the team that won in '09:
besides, hockey is a much-more 'fluid' game, with late season trades changing team-chemistry shortly before the playoffs start, unlike football

X-Terminator
12-16-2009, 11:47 PM

No.

/THREAD

HometownGal
12-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Shero is the best GM in hockey. I don't think that gets said enough. :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree with you more. The guy is money in the bank at putting pieces of the puzzle together perfectly. :drink:

Also my son and I are going to the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia tommorow to watch the Pens play the Flyers. :tt:

Have a great time, zu, and don't forget the hard helmets. :chuckle:

The_WARDen
12-17-2009, 06:54 AM

This is so stupid that I can't believe I'm even replying but here goes..

Teams in hockey change coaches like they change their underwear so it's an apples to oranges comparison.

There's also the fact that Tomlin is a champ and Therrien was a chump. Winning championships byes a guy some credit believe it or not.

Okay, carry on with the nonsense.

:popcorn:

WH
12-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Shero is the best GM in hockey. : This is about 99% true. He's a brillian trade deadline, free agency GM. But his Drafting skills aren't the best in hockey.

But that's just splitting hairs.

X-Terminator
12-17-2009, 08:57 AM
This is about 99% true. He's a brillian trade deadline, free agency GM. But his Drafting skills aren't the best in hockey.

But that's just splitting hairs.

In fairness, in 3 of his first 4 drafts, the Pens have picked 20th overall (2007) did not have a pick in the first 3 rounds (2008) and 30th (2009). The only time he didn't have a low round or no early round pick was his first season as GM in 2006, when he drafted Jordan Staal 2nd overall. So the jury is still out on his drafts.

Anyway, we're getting off the beaten path here.

WH
12-17-2009, 10:37 AM
In fairness, in 3 of his first 4 drafts, the Pens have picked 20th overall (2007) did not have a pick in the first 3 rounds (2008) and 30th (2009). The only time he didn't have a low round or no early round pick was his first season as GM in 2006, when he drafted Jordan Staal 2nd overall. So the jury is still out on his drafts.

Anyway, we're getting off the beaten path here.

Oh agreed, and if that aspect of his job is the only thing I ever can say anything about (and it wasn't even that negative by all means) him, than he can stay around 'til the cows come home.

If we're doing Pens Steelers comparisons a better comparison would be Bruce Arians and Michele Therrien.

Both good developmental coaches, but terrible at game time gameplanning and mid game adjustments.

zulater
12-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Flyer fans agains proved they're the biggest knuckle draggers in the league when they derided and jeered a fallen Ruslan Fedetenko. I mean the guy was on the ice, at the time it looked as if a serious concussion wasn't out of the question and these morons, I'd say up to 60% of the arena were mocking a fallen opposing player. I'm pretty hardened to the ways of idiots, but damn I found that extremely distastefull.

Otherwise it was a pretty good game. The best thing was the Pens won, probably with their B- game, while the Flyers played as well as they have all season and the best they could do is play the Pens to a draw at home. :yep:

Oh yeah it also funny to see how stupid Sid makes Flyer fans look. :rofl:

4xSBChamps
12-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Flyer fans agains proved they're the biggest knuckle draggers in the league when they derided and jeered a fallen Ruslan Fedetenko.

I mean the guy was on the ice, at the time it looked as if a serious concussion wasn't out of the question and these morons, I'd say up to 60% of the arena were mocking a fallen opposing player.

..... and this surprises you how?????

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%202009-2010/PhilthadelphiaPhlyerSTH.jpg

X-Terminator
12-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Flyer fans agains proved they're the biggest knuckle draggers in the league when they derided and jeered a fallen Ruslan Fedetenko. I mean the guy was on the ice, at the time it looked as if a serious concussion wasn't out of the question and these morons, I'd say up to 60% of the arena were mocking a fallen opposing player. I'm pretty hardened to the ways of idiots, but damn I found that extremely distastefull.

Otherwise it was a pretty good game. The best thing was the Pens won, probably with their B- game, while the Flyers played as well as they have all season and the best they could do is play the Pens to a draw at home. :yep:

Oh yeah it also funny to see how stupid Sid makes Flyer fans look. :rofl:

Dude, it's Philthadelphia. You were expecting something different? I mean, Tank broke into the league with the Flyers, but that doesn't matter to them. The thing is that they actually embrace and revel in that kind of behavior, which is both sad and pathetic at the same time. We should pay New Jersey to take them off our hands - I'm sure they can use another place for New York to dump its garbage.

Like I say after every time they beat those thugs in prison orange...

PHUCK FILLY.

BTW, we have a Pens forum here - check it out: http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

HometownGal
12-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Guys - this thread is being hijacked and is going off topic. If you want to discuss the Filthadelphians, you can do so in the Pens Tidbits thread in the Sports Discussions forum. :drink: