PDA

View Full Version : How hard do you have to work to lose the Chiefs, Browns and Raiders?

Hayeksheroes
12-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Safety Ryan Clark, one of the team's leading spokesmen, upbraided the local media for its coverage during the team's five-game losing streak. He also called out fans, saying they do not "understand" how hard the players work.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09350/1021511-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0ZtiNgIPs

What a moron? No class. Don't call out the fans. The Steelers are the best fans in the world, you overpaid prissy. We you puke all over the field against the the most pathetic teams in the NFL, you bet we are going to call you out.

Do you know how hard the average fan has to work to pay for a game ticket, direct tv and your salary?

I can put up with a lot. But this spoiled rotten millionaire needs to strap his chin strap, put in his mouth piece and shut his pie hole.

StainlessStill
12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Safety Ryan Clark, one of the team's leading spokesmen, upbraided the local media for its coverage during the team's five-game losing streak. He also called out fans, saying they do not "understand" how hard the players work.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09350/1021511-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0ZtiNgIPs

What a moron? No class. Don't call out the fans. The Steelers are the best fans in the world, you overpaid prissy. We you puke all over the field against the the most pathetic teams in the NFL, you bet we are going to call you out.

Do you know how hard the average fan has to work to pay for a game ticket, direct tv and your salary?

I can put up with a lot. But this spoiled rotten millionaire needs to strap his chin strap, put in his mouth piece and shut his pie hole.

I agree. Clark is a big mouth who rubs me the wrong way. He's done it more than once and for some reason I don't like it. The Detroit Lions work hard too. Whoopty Dooh, obviously hard work doesn't mean jack shit when winning football games now does it? MAKING PLAYS IS.

I give these athletes all the credit in the world, and we understand and appreciate them for doing what they do and risk injury on the field. Little does he know, is that he is getting paid millions of dollars to respect the fans who spend their even hard earned money into seeing his piss poor play on the field on Sunday's. The fans will be fans, regardless of hard work, we are going to give it to them when they SUCK.

SteelCityMom
12-16-2009, 06:33 PM
:noidea: I didn't see anything wrong with what he said. He's frustrated, just like many players and fans are...but unlike the fans, he's not on the outside of the situation looking in.

IMO if you read the WHOLE article, it sounds like he's just responding to some hate mail he's gotten. He actually did give props to most of the fans.

"We have passionate fans, and I love playing in Pittsburgh. You know, I've never been in a place that cares more about their sports, their heroes . . . I love playing here. That one fan or those 10 fans doesn't discount the whole Steeler Nation."

"I'm not upset with the guy. I don't want to go to his house or fight him. That's his opinion and that's how he feels. I don't know what he does for a living. Whether he's an accountant. I can't go talk to him about how he crunches numbers. I can't go talk to him about how he teaches his class and things like that."

He's got a point there.

St33lersguy
12-16-2009, 06:53 PM
"You watch the Eagles, you watch the big plays. You watch things given up. And I started checking other media outlets. You don't hear the things about them in their media that you hear about us. So either we're held to a higher standard or the people that write about us are turds.

No the reason the media criticizes the Steelers and not the Eagles is because the Eagles are 9-4, 1st place in the NFC East,and on a 4 game winning streak instead of 6-7, on a 5 game losing streak losing to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Clowns.

"We're still the fourth-ranked defense in the NFL," Clark noted. "And I think it's becoming increasingly more evident that we are held to a different standard, which is OK."

That's mainly due to the #1 rushing defense in the NFL. The pass D is only 13th in the NFL is tied for 12th in giving up 40+ yard plays, and is tied for 27th in the NFL in interceptions with 8, 3 of them by Polamalu who started in 5 games.

Maybe Clark should stop being a crybaby and take out his frustration on the field. It is also evident that his arguements on for why the media and fans "are being too unfair" can be easily countered with logical reasons. So Mr. Clark do us all a favor and shut up and focus on playing football

tony hipchest
12-16-2009, 07:11 PM
:chuckle: best soundbite and interview on the team. also got some hate mail and posted it in the locker room.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/12/16/clark-lashes-out/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

To understand just how much things have changed for the Steelers, look no further than Ryan Clark.

Last year, the loquacious safety won the Chief Award, which is given annually to the player that is most cooperative with the media.

Today, Clark teed off on the Pittsburgh media, calling reporters ďturdsĒ and calling them out for what he says has been unfair coverage of the team, which has lost five games in a row.

Clarkís rant last nearly 12 minutes, and he ended it by saying reporters would take what sound bites they wanted and play up the most controversial ones.

Given the implication that the media would misrepresent what Clark said, here is a transcript of his interview.

Q: You have gotten hate mail?

A: ďYeah, itís on the board. Yíall can go read it. We posted it. I thought it was funny.Ē

Q: Did you get more than one letter?

A: ďYeah, I had a bunch but that was the best one. That one was really articulated well. The guy put a lot of thought in it. He used the wrong first name for a couple of guys but that is OK because I really see he did his research and his homework of why we stink so bad. It was funny. I got a good laugh out of it because you canít worry about it."

Q: What was the premise of the letter?

A: ď'Ryan, you and your defense really suck.' He revisited it twice. I think he mightíve been an English major because you have to state your point in the beginning and then you have to swing back around to it in the end to bring it go full circle. I was very impressed with what he had written.Ē

Q: Is it hard to separate all of the good feelings from last year with the fans and now when you are getting hate mail?

A: ďI am not upset at the guy, I donít want to go to his house and fight him. That is his opinion and thatís how he feels. I donít know what he does for a living. I donít know if he is an accountant. I canít go talk to him about how he crunches numbers. I canít talk to him on how he teaches his class and things like that. That is the only difference about it. They get to tell us how they feel and itís cool. We get paid a lot of money to do a job. When we win, we are, ĎAw, man, we are doing it for our fans.í When you lose, you donít have a fan. It is what it is.Ē

Q: Why not delete the e-mail?

A: ďIt wasnít an e-mail. I guess I wouldíve hit delete if it was an e-mail. It was a piece of paper.Ē

Q: Why not just throw the letter away?

A: ďI am not upset about it. They asked me questions about it. I am not upset. I put it on the board. Itís funny. Come on man, that donít matter. Who is he? Heís a jag (Editorís note: the letter written to Clark was signed ĎJAGí). Heís just a guy.Ē

:laughing: see link for rest...

msafford
12-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I heart Ryan Clark.

HometownGal
12-16-2009, 07:24 PM
:noidea: I didn't see anything wrong with what he said. He's frustrated, just like many players and fans are...but unlike the fans, he's not on the outside of the situation looking in.

IMO if you read the WHOLE article, it sounds like he's just responding to some hate mail he's gotten. He actually did give props to most of the fans.

He's got a point there.

Whether he's an accountant. I can't go talk to him about how he crunches numbers. I can't go talk to him about how he teaches his class and things like that."

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I can't even begin to imagine how he (and some of the other guys) would feel if they read some of the comments from the HC's and OC's- in-waiting around here. :horror:

SteelCityMom
12-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks for posting the whole interview and not just the snippets that people like Douchette just want to report on.

Clark makes several valid points and really puts a lot into perspective.

mesaSteeler
12-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Steelers Clark rips media, fans
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx
By Bob Smizik | Wednesday, 8:15 p.m.

Ryan Clark, normally one of good guys in the Steelers locker room, turned angry and ugly yesterday. He lashed out at the media and fans. It was uncharacteristic of Clark, who received the Chief Award last season from the local pro football writers for his cooperation with the media.

Ryan ClarkEd Bouchette has the whole story here.

What’s your take on this? Is Clark totally out of line? Or does he have a point?

If he’s wrong, does he get a break because of the frustrations of the season?

As someone who has been on the wrong end of these player outbursts, they can be uncomfortable, particularly when directed at one individual.

From the positive side, it turned a slow news day into a faster one.

My take is to give Clark the benefit of the doubt on this one. He was wrong, dead wrong, but sometimes these guys get down and lose their temper just like the rest of us.

stlrtruck
12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
I understand he's upset but for him to call out the fans, that's just absurd. He's not in DC anymore. This is Steelers Nation and we unlike any other fans in the world.

mesaSteeler
12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Steelers' Clark says media, fans overlook hard work
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09350/1021511-100.stm

The losing has frustrated the Steelers in different ways and today one of their veteran leaders lashed out in a new manner.

He also promised his frustration would be held in check.

"The one thing I'm not going to do, I'm not going to be depressed. I'm not going to go home and beat my wife, you know what I mean? I'm going to get on my knees every night and pray and thank God for the blessings I have every night."

Ryan, presented the Chief Award last season by the local pro football writers for his cooperation with the news media, turned his criticism on them.

"You watch the Eagles, you watch the big plays. You watch things given up. And I started checking other media outlets. You don't hear the things about them in their media that you hear about us. So either we're held to a higher standard or the people that write about us are turds.

Clark posted a letter he received from a fan on the team's bulletin board in the locker room. He said the writer basically details "why we stink so bad." He invited reporters to read it but a club spokesman removed it before that happened.

"It's obviously frustrating, but it's not going to be despair," Clark said. "You get hate mail from fans, they tell you that you [stink] and all that. And that's fine, because there's a reason they watch the game.

"This year, increasingly, it's made me realize that you have to play for your organization, you have to play for your teammates, you have to play for yourself, for your family because the people on the outside don't understand the frustration you go through. They don't understand the work you put into it every day. A lot of people think we come in here and practice a couple of hours and then go out on Sunday and go play the game. That's not how it is.

"This becomes your life, this takes over your life. We're working hard, man. None of us are going out there like I want to give up a play today. None of us are going out there like we want to lose."

Clark, as he finished last season, again is the second-leading tackler on the Steelers defense, which finished No. 1 in 2008 and ranks No. 4 today. A big difference in that defense has come in the passing game; they ranked No. 1 in 2008 against the pass, allowing only two completions longer than 40 yards. They rank 13th today and have allowed seven beyond 40 this season, five during their current losing streak.

"We're still the fourth-ranked defense in the NFL," Clark noted. "And I think it's becoming increasingly more evident that we are held to a different standard, which is OK."

Clark said he will not try to find the fellow who wrote him the critical letter he posted on the bulletin board.

"I'm not upset with the guy. I don't want to go to his house or fight him. That's his opinion and that's how he feels. I don't know what he does for a living. Whether he's an accountant. I can't go talk to him about how he crunches numbers. I can't go talk to him about how he teaches his class and things like that."

Clark, on the last year of his contract, did say he loves playing here, despite the shortcomings he pointed out.

"We have passionate fans, and I love playing in Pittsburgh. You know, I've never been in a place that cares more about their sports, their heroes . . . I love playing here. That one fan or those 10 fans doesn't discount the whole Steeler Nation."

As for those in the media who cover the Steelers, Clark said he does not blame them for critical pieces of the team in general during this losing streak. He took issue with what he termed individuals being called out wrongly.

"I think it's gotten to a point where guys are getting attacked personally,'' Clark said. "Names are being called and things like that, where sometimes it's not those people.

"When I mess up, I tell y'all. There's never a time when y'all come to me after a game and I feel like I've messed up on a play and I don't say it. Sometimes it's not me and I still say it.

"But when you start pointing fingers and saying it's this guy and it's that guy and it's wrong, I think it is unfair. As a whole have we performed the way we're supposed to? No. Do we deserve to be talked about as disappointing? Yes, we do, because we're disappointed in ourselves. Sometimes the coverage of it, especially locally, has been, I'm not going to say unfair, but it's just been wrong."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09350/1021511-100.stm#ixzz0ZuDUiRFi

Steelerfreak58
12-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Meh he is frustrated that a team that should be in full command of their division and possibly the second seed in the playoffs is more then likely going to be watching the post season from home. Can't blame the guy he is pissed and when your pissed you say shit you might want to have not said at some point. At least he is being vocal and not sitting quietly by letting the season close without as much as saying a word.

Godfather
12-16-2009, 08:50 PM
The funny thing is him using the Eagles as a contrast. The Philly sportswriters are downright brutal.

steelwalls
12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
The funny thing is him using the Eagles as a contrast. The Philly sportswriters are downright brutal.

lol.... you got that right I was about to post the same thing.

SteelersMongol
12-16-2009, 09:31 PM
"...It's obviously frustrating, but there's not going to be despair," Clark said. "You get hate mail from fans, they tell you that you (expletive) and all that. And that's fine, because there's a reason they watch the game..."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81505eb9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

How do they send hate mails? I wanna send love letters 2 my guys in B&G, but I don't know how. Where & how do U get their mailing addresses is what I wanna know. Help, please.

Shea
12-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what he said either, and I read the complete article. Can't quite understand the posters here that are ripping him.

He's frustrated and rightfully so. Not to mention that some of his comments were downright funny. I might just have to buy me a Clark jersey after reading that. :sofunny:

fansince'76
12-16-2009, 09:52 PM
How do they send hate mails? I wanna send love letters 2 my guys in B&G, but I don't know how. Where & how do U get their mailing addresses is what I wanna know. Help, please.

Fan Mail and Player Autographs
You can mail fan mail for current players only to:

Pittsburgh Steelers
Attn: (Insert Player's Name)
3400 South Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope to return any items. The Steelers are not responsible for any items mailed to players nor can the team guarantee a reply.

http://news.steelers.com/article/69219/

smokin3000gt
12-16-2009, 10:37 PM

I have to say that I agree with Clark somewhat here. I can't believe all the spoiled, whiny ass, bitch about everything fans I have seen around here as of late. I can only imagine how much worse it is in Pittsburgh.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Well since he cites the Eagles and their great fans, the same one who pelted Santa with snow balls. Feel free after this year to go to philly and ask for a contract. Clark will not last as long as a snow ball in the summer heat with that franchise.

X-Terminator
12-16-2009, 11:30 PM
What a moron? No class. Don't call out the fans. The Steelers are the best fans in the world...

...when they're winning. When they aren't winning, well, you get what has happened on this board for the past month.

The only reason why you and many others in this thread are pissed is because Clark had the balls to speak up and shine the light of truth on Steeler Nation. We have one of the most fair-weather fan bases in the league, not to mention fickle as hell. Just 2 weeks ago, just about everyone was saying how indispensable he was, and how the Steelers should re-sign him. Now, he's worthless and should go play for the Eagles. He should get an extension for saying that, not run out of town.

tony hipchest
12-16-2009, 11:43 PM
...when they're winning. When they aren't winning, well, you get what has happened on this board for the past month.

The only reason why you and many others in this thread are pissed is because Clark had the balls to speak up and shine the light of truth on Steeler Nation. We have one of the most fair-weather fan bases in the league, not to mention fickle as hell. Just 2 weeks ago, just about everyone was saying how indispensable he was, and how the Steelers should re-sign him. Now, he's worthless and should go play for the Eagles. He should get an extension for saying that, not run out of town.you dont really expect to see people on this board leaping for joy, and ballwashing over a 5 game losing steak by the superbowl champs do you?

only the giants in 87 with replacement players have done as bad in defense of their trophy.

the steelers havent lost 6 in a row since going 1-13 in '69.

why do people expect "hapy-happy-joy-joy"?

with that being said i agree with everything in your post.

i am elated to finally see a steeler player pissed off. :tt02: i stand behind clark 100% and certainly hope he can accept a contract the steelers offer.

MasterOfPuppets
12-17-2009, 12:17 AM
i bet arians get tons of fan mail....:chuckle:

Preacher
12-17-2009, 12:39 AM
The funniest thing...

Is that He is the MOST MAD not at the fans, but at the Press for screwing up the reporting and getting things just flat wrong.

I think sometimes, though, when media outlets guess, ĎOh, I think they were in this coverage and so-and-so should have been playing this or so-and-so should have been playing this coverage Öí Yíall donít know. Period. You all do not know. I think itís gotten to the point where guys are getting attacked personally, names are being called and things like that when sometimes itís not those people. When I mess up, I tell yíall. Thereís never been a time when youíve come to me after a game. Sometimes itís not me and I still say it. But when you start pointing fingers, itís this guy and itís that guy and itís wrong, I think it is unfair. As a whole, have we performed the way weíre supposed to? No. Do we deserve to be talked about as disappointing? Yes, we do because we are disappointed in ourselves. But I think sometimes the coverage of it, especially locally, has been Ö Iím not going to say itís unfair but itís just been wrong. If youíre going to point a finger and say, ĎRyan Clark was in the middle of the field and he got bombed oní and I did? Cool. But if youíre wrong, if thatís not what happened, then it is unfair. That would be like me pointing out and saying, ĎHeís a jerk because he said thisí and I got the wrong guy. Now your name is in the mud, somewhere where it shouldnít be. If we win, yíall canít talk about us and thatís the bottom line. If we go out here and win, yíall canít talk about us and thatís the approach we have to take. Iíve learned a lot about playing here this year. You donít learn as much when you win because itís all happy, itís all fluff and we may give credit to guys who donít have as much credit but nobody talk about that. But itís been a tough year, just losing period.Ē

Ryan Clark is dead on right.

We DONT know the schemes, we DONT know the assignments, we DONT know the calls on the play.

.24lockdown
12-17-2009, 01:24 AM
The funniest thing...

Is that He is the MOST MAD not at the fans, but at the Press for screwing up the reporting and getting things just flat wrong.

We DONT know the schemes, we DONT know the assignments, we DONT know the calls on the play.

No Preach that can't be right! But Ike and Gay are the worst corners in the NFL and have never been good!:sofunny:

This is why I have never understood fan criticism of players in the secondary

MasterOfPuppets
12-17-2009, 03:32 AM
The funniest thing...

but we DO know the end results. when the end results become a pattern of failure, no matter if its player execution or play calling, it still falls squarely on the coaches shoulders. its thier job to prepare the players from day 1 of training camp till the last game of the year. being a coach is no different than being a supervisor of a manufacturing company or a construction company. there's a level of expectation, and when thats not met, the sh*t rolls downhill. the owner rips the president, the president rips the super, the super rips the workers.

redst3
12-17-2009, 04:41 AM

I thought we lost 6 straight in 1999???

Rick5895
12-17-2009, 06:14 AM
I can understand Ryan's frustration at losing, even playing recreational sports and coaching I hate to lose. I understand his frustration in the criticism of fans and media. I for one would like to see him back next year, but we still need safety help in the draft.
All that being said, this is part of the territory of being a highly paid professional athlete. Fans are entitled to criticize the product they see on the field. As fans we pay our hard earned money for tickets, hotel rooms, on mechandise to see our teams and favorite players play. Offering criticisms on a forum doesn't make a person a band wagon jumper or a fair weather fan. Personal attacks ( and I don't mean someone telling them they aren't any good), threats of violence and violence cross the line and no player or coach or the families of these guys should have to put up with that.
I will always take at least one weekend a year, spend the hard earned money I make to come to the great city of Pittsburgh to watch the MIGHTY STEELERS play and I will cheer or critisize depending on the circumstance but still leave knowing this is the greatest of all teams, win or lose.

zulater
12-17-2009, 06:17 AM
The funniest thing...

But we know the results. And there's no excuse for a team with this much talent to lose to the Bears, the Chiefs, the Radiers and the Browns in the same season. And Ryan Clark in particuliar should keep his yap shut. I might not know the defense they were in on certain plays or what his assignment was, but I sure as hell know he's not supposed to be in no mans land as often as he is. Or that he's supposed to miss so many tackles or drop easy interceptions. The last time this team won was with Ryan clark playing cheerleader on the sidelines. Maybe that wasn't a coincidence?

Rockonsteel
12-17-2009, 06:53 AM
you dont really expect to see people on this board leaping for joy, and ballwashing over a 5 game losing steak by the superbowl champs do you?

only the giants in 87 with replacement players have done as bad in defense of their trophy.

why do people expect "hapy-happy-joy-joy"?

with that being said i agree with everything in your post.

i am elated to finally see a steeler player pissed off. :tt02: i stand behind clark 100% and certainly hope he can accept a contract the steelers offer.

And, that my friends, is what I call a $$money post$$!!! :applaudit:

Fans are not abandoning the Steelers because they're losing. :doh:

We don't expect a SB every year. We also don't expect a team of this caliber to lose games to the likes of the Chiefs, Browns, Bears and Raiders, teams that other teams are crushing with great frequency. :banging:

Given the talent on this team, and the schedule they had this season, there's no way in hell they should be in the position they're in now, and fans are pissed off. And rightfully so. :mad:

Sounds like Ryan Clark is pissed off. And rightfully so. Hopefully a few more guys in that locker room get pissed off, and they start taking it out on the opponent. :helmet:

I was telling somebody the other day, it almost feels like they haven't won a game since the Super Bowl. This is completely insane. :noidea:

But, no matter what.....:tt: :tt02: :tt04: :tt03:

Rockon :hatsoff:

BigBen'sSwagger
12-17-2009, 06:58 AM

He's got a point there.

Sure he's got a point now lets look at it a little differently. How many times does Ryan come to a teachers work and cheer for them and spend a lot of his hard earned money to support what the fan does??? How many athletes have a fat head of their fans and how much of their hard earned dollars pay to support their fans???

Ryan is in a buisness that places what he does under a microscope just the way it is. Fans are calling you and the secondary out because we see big pass plays losing games we should be winning. The only defense is for Ryan to shut up and play hopefully cover his man and maybe make a big play once in a while to win a game or at least turn the tide of a game. Haven't seen him do much this whole year to be on such a high horse and losing to the chefs, raiders and browns puts the whole team in a bad light.

Hammer67
12-17-2009, 07:28 AM
If I had a bunch of douches who don't know anything about my job telling me I stink, I would be pissed too!

On that note...who has the time or energy to WRITE a letter to a player telling them they stink? That's just too obsessive and borderline creepy.

Sometimes the passion of Steelers Nation just rubs me the wrong way. I just think it is counterproductive to be so emotionally invested in something that a) isn't making you a living, or b) you aren't creatively involved with. At the end of the day they lost 5 relatively close games where a pass or a missed tackle could have made the difference in win/loss. It happens. It sucks for them now, but, wow are we spoiled around here!!!

Go Ryan!!!

X-Terminator
12-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Fans are not abandoning the Steelers because they're losing. :doh:

No, that's the definition of a bandwagon fan (though we do have our share). I say they're fair-weathered, meaning they don't shut up when the team is winning, but when they're losing, we get crap like "I'm not watching any more games this year" or "I'm putting away my Steelers gear for the season" or the way many of you act around here after they lose one freaking game. It's the very definition of a fair-weather fan, and I stand by my view that Steelers fans are among the biggest fair-weather fans in the league.

We don't expect a SB every year.

I wholeheartedly disagree. The sense of entitlement that many of the fans have is...disturbing, for the lack of a better term. Many of those in The Nation DO in fact expect a Super Bowl every year, again, based on the way they act. Neither the organization nor the team owes the fans a damn thing. And please, save the speech about spending your hard-earned money supporting them. It doesn't change that fact.

We also don't expect a team of this caliber to lose games to the likes of the Chiefs, Browns, Bears and Raiders, teams that other teams are crushing with great frequency. :banging:

Given the talent on this team, and the schedule they had this season, there's no way in hell they should be in the position they're in now, and fans are pissed off. And rightfully so. :mad:

Nobody did, and nobody's happy about it. It's very disappointing, no question about it. But hey, shyt happens sometimes. You simply cannot expect the team to win every single year.

Sounds like Ryan Clark is pissed off. And rightfully so. Hopefully a few more guys in that locker room get pissed off, and they start taking it out on the opponent. :helmet:

Agreed.

I was telling somebody the other day, it almost feels like they haven't won a game since the Super Bowl. This is completely insane. :noidea:

But, no matter what.....:tt: :tt02: :tt04: :tt03:

Rockon :hatsoff:

It's because nobody saw it coming. Let's just hope they finish strong.

Rockonsteel
12-17-2009, 09:43 AM
No, that's the definition of a bandwagon fan (though we do have our share). I say they're fair-weathered, meaning they don't shut up when the team is winning, but when they're losing, we get crap like "I'm not watching any more games this year" or "I'm putting away my Steelers gear for the season" or the way many of you act around here after they lose one freaking game. It's the very definition of a fair-weather fan, and I stand by my view that Steelers fans are among the biggest fair-weather fans in the league.

I wholeheartedly disagree. The sense of entitlement that many of the fans have is...disturbing, for the lack of a better term. Many of those in The Nation DO in fact expect a Super Bowl every year, again, based on the way they act. Neither the organization nor the team owes the fans a damn thing. And please, save the speech about spending your hard-earned money supporting them. It doesn't change that fact.

Nobody did, and nobody's happy about it. It's very disappointing, no question about it. But hey, shyt happens sometimes. You simply cannot expect the team to win every single year.

Agreed.

It's because nobody saw it coming. Let's just hope they finish strong.

Good and fair responses all! I still rock all my gear. And I'm still gonna be parked in front of the tv for each one of these remaining three games....and any additional games should some form of minor miracle occur, and this team makes the postseason.

I really do think fans could deal with not repeating as SB champs a whole lot better if they weren't getting these pathetic efforts against the crappiest teams in the league. Last season, this team showed so much heart and grit . This year they're showing none.

WH
12-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Clark going off is awesome. However, going off on a bunch of media folk is only going to make him the bad guy in a few articles. If Ryan Clark thought he was under a microscope a week ago, he'll be under a bigger one now. He's best to feel better about what he said and never read the news sheets again.

Ryan is probably pissed because of the defense getting booed (is that spelled correctly?) in Heinz Field. Booing the players that you loved less than a year ago is low class. If you have a feeling in your heart that you are going to boo the team you love......send me your tickets, because I would be happy to be there Win or Loss.

I, personally, would love to see the Steelers turn it around now, somehow get into the playoffs, and somehow win the SB. Then Ryan Clark can say I would like the thank my family, teammates, and the fans that didn't abandon us back in december.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't expect a Superbowl every year but I expect my team to play to a certain expectation. Win games against lesser teams and a few against the more quality opponents. I am let down when my team loses to a subpar team 3 times in one year. I question their heart when I see pictures of them huddled next to a heater before a cold game. WTF??? This is not your dad's Steelers that is for sure but I sure do want the old Steelers back.

Remember nobody put a gun to Ryan's head and told him he had to play football...at least I don't think so. You made the decision now live with the consequences.

All this being said I like Ryan and hope he stays. I think this is just the showing signs of the frustration this team is going through. Time to get on a winning streak and get back to Steeler Football. I've been waiting all year.

Bluedust
12-17-2009, 11:58 AM
I knew a kid in high school who got straight F's, he was so proud of his effort.

revefsreleets
12-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Eh, what does Clark know? He's JUST an NFL player, and by all accounts one who is a true student of the game. The REAL intelligentsia posts right here on this board...

zulater
12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Eh, what does Clark know? He's JUST an NFL player, and by all accounts one who is a true student of the game. The REAL intelligentsia posts right here on this board...

Yeah nothing wrong with that team. Everythings's just grand, losing to the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns was just bad luck.

Think I could trade in this coffee for one of your kool aids? :coffee:

revefsreleets
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah nothing wrong with that team. Everythings's just grand, losing to the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns was just bad luck.

Think I could trade in this coffee for one of your kool aids? :coffee:

Who are you again?

Nobody is suggesting that there aren't myriad problems with this team. But Clark has a point. You, however, do not...

zulater
12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Who are you again?

Nobody is suggesting that there aren't myriad problems with this team. But Clark has a point. You, however, do not...

Oh I don't have enough message board rank to address a mighty poster like you? Classic. :chuckle::

Clark was being a whiny ass, you're being a myopic homer and also an elitist better than thou supposed "real fan." IMO of course.

I'm just being a guy who wants coaches and players to shut up and deliver . And failing to deliver just shut and take their lumps like a pro.

BTW I'm not hurt by Clark's comments. I don't care if players view fans as meatballs. If I was in their shoes I probably would too. My only request of athletes is do your job without complaint and be decent to kids whenever possible.

supa_fly_steeler
12-17-2009, 01:05 PM
ryan clark is fing awesome. it was a good read.

tony hipchest
12-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Who are you again?

he is member number 5256.

and you sir, are member number 5353.

lol :toofunny:

zulater
12-18-2009, 05:22 AM

:applaudit: :drink:

redst3
12-18-2009, 06:49 AM
Man, there is more hard hitting in this thread than there is in the Steelers secondary.

Signed, Member #480

stlrtruck
12-18-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm just being a guy who wants coaches and players to shut up and deliver . And failing to deliver just shut and take their lumps like a pro.

BTW I'm not hurt by Clark's comments. I don't care if players view fans as meatballs. If I was in their shoes I probably would too. My only request of athletes is do your job without complaint and be decent to kids whenever possible.

:iagree:

Excellent post

pghfrank1948
12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
You dont call the fans out. Steeler Nation is second to none for staying with the team through thick and thin. We are not the Bungle fans!!! A bunch of bandwagon riders, I know I live in Ohio. Clark should shut up and do his job and be grateful he gets paid to play a kids game for a living. Steelers will come out of this slump no doubt if they all just shut up and focus.

Indo
12-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Uh, he is member number 5296

Let's try to get these important things correct!:wink02:

signed---Accuracy Police, Badge # 11222

SteelCityMom
12-18-2009, 12:05 PM
You dont call the fans out. Steeler Nation is second to none for staying with the team through thick and thin. We are not the Bungle fans!!! A bunch of bandwagon riders, I know I live in Ohio. Clark should shut up and do his job and be grateful he gets paid to play a kids game for a living. Steelers will come out of this slump no doubt if they all just shut up and focus.

He was not calling all of Steeler Nation out. Read the article again. He was calling out the media and made some comments about a few fans that sent him hate mail. He actually gave props to Steelers fans and called them the best fans in football...

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Oh I don't have enough message board rank to address a mighty poster like you? Classic. :chuckle::

Clark was being a whiny ass, you're being a myopic homer and also an elitist better than thou supposed "real fan." IMO of course.

I was just wondering who the newest self-professed football guru and member of the elite SF braintrust was. Hard to keep track of all the resident geniuses, and more are joining every day, it seems...whoopee!

WH
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I was just wondering who the newest self-professed football guru and member of the elite SF braintrust was.
See: Mirror:tt02::tt03:

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 12:27 PM
See: Mirror:tt02::tt03:

I'm STILL waiting for something, anything, of value from you whineshard...

SteelerFanInStl
12-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I like Ryan Clark and believe that he's making some valid points but I wish that he'd concentrate more on his tackling and learn how to wrap up instead of just trying to knock the guys head off.

WH
12-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm STILL waiting for something, anything, of value from you whineshard...

I'm sure 14000 posts in people are still waiting for the same from you, other than your usual narcissistic vitriol.

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm sure 14000 posts in people are still waiting for the same from you, other than your usual narcissistic vitriol.

Dictionary.com!

Kudos to you...see, I made you elevate your game! You took the time to look up some new vocabulary words. And you wanted to say I made no contributions....shame on you:toofunny:

Anyway, your time is better spent trying to form some sound arguments for others on this board than trying to elevate yourself by lamely attempting to devalue me....that's weak and transparent, and I won't respond to you again.

zulater
12-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I was just wondering who the newest self-professed football guru and member of the elite SF braintrust was. Hard to keep track of all the resident geniuses, and more are joining every day, it seems...whoopee!

The word douchebag comes to mind here. And I didn't need to go to the dictionary for it either. But if I had, might your picture have been there for the secondary definition?

zulater
12-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Getting back to the subject matter.

No defending NFL champion had prevously ever lost 5 games in a row the following season.

But fear not, the Steelers still have goals to achieve to place themselves below all others. The 63 Chiefs in defense of their AFL title lost five in a row, tied the 6th and lost the 7th. So they can stand alone in Pro football history with a loss to the Packers this week. :doh:

btw I want the Steelers to win out. But I'm not counting on it. :tt02:

markymarc
12-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Damn this losing streak has generated an NFL soap opera team! I wonder what will happen if the Steelers end up losing against the Packers tomorrow.

WH
12-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Dictionary.com!

Kudos to you...see, I made you elevate your game! You took the time to look up some new vocabulary words. And you wanted to say I made no contributions....shame on you:toofunny:

Anyway, your time is better spent trying to form some sound arguments for others on this board than trying to elevate yourself by lamely attempting to devalue me....that's weak and transparent, and I won't respond to you again.

WOW!
Sir, I repeat: Pot, meet kettle.

revefsreleets
12-20-2009, 03:34 PM
The word douchebag comes to mind here. And I didn't need to go to the dictionary for it either. But if I had, might your picture have been there for the secondary definition?

So your post is to.....um....call me a douchebag?

Really?

And you want to coach the Steelers offense?

Yawn.

Hammer67
12-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Children, please...

steelcity1974
12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
I give this guy a break for the comments because it is VERY clear the guy has heart. He is just as frustrated as we are and he took his frustrations out on those that are criticizing his effort. Even though I'm not questioning his heart, I AM questioning his talent. When was the last time he made an impact on a game like Troy? Bottom line is he isn't the same without Troy out there. This season he is being asked to TACKLE guys and KNOCK DOWN PASSES instead of just drilling the hell out of guys who limp into the secondary after barely getting past Troy. I think we should trade Clark, Gay, Ike, Carter, and Burnett to the Ravens for Ed Reed. We could play a 3-6-2 formation with Troy and Reed...no need for CBs.

zulater
12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
So your post is to.....um....call me a douchebag?

Really?

And you want to coach the Steelers offense?

Yawn.

I don't remember the part where I said I wanted to coach the Steelers offense? Maybe you can find that post for me? :noidea:

But since you brought it up. I don't have to be Col. Sanders to know the difference between chicken salad and chicken shit. And I don't have to be an offensive coordinater to know that a 2-1 pass to run ratio against the 31st ranked run defense with reported 45 mph cross winds isn't the recipe for success either.

I've commended Arains for his game plan this past week. And I know that the pass to run ratio was roughly the same as the previous week. But the empty back sets on 3rd and shorts and first and tens were mostly absent .Also the blitz recogniction and pick ups were night and day as compared to the Browns game.

Of course what that has to do with anything I said previously on this thread is beyond me?

Last thing.

I think I'll continue to call 'em as I see them if it's all the same to you. :coffee:

HometownGal
12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't have to be Col. Sanders to know the difference between chicken salad and chicken shit.

KFC now has chicken salad? :yummy: :wink:

I think Frank Perdue (the guy who was the spitting image of his chickens) more fits the bill. :chuckle:

markymarc
12-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Mmmmmmm......grilled chicken sounds good right about now.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't remember the part where I said I wanted to coach the Steelers offense? Maybe you can find that post for me? :noidea:

But since you brought it up. I don't have to be Col. Sanders to know the difference between chicken salad and chicken shit. And I don't have to be an offensive coordinater to know that a 2-1 pass to run ratio against the 31st ranked run defense with reported 45 mph cross winds isn't the recipe for success either.

I've commended Arains for his game plan this past week. And I know that the pass to run ratio was roughly the same as the previous week. But the empty back sets on 3rd and shorts and first and tens were mostly absent .Also the blitz recogniction and pick ups were night and day as compared to the Browns game.

Of course what that has to do with anything I said previously on this thread is beyond me?

Last thing.

I think I'll continue to call 'em as I see them if it's all the same to you. :coffee:

And I'll continue to call you on your bullshit as long as most of what you post is....well, bullshit.

I love how you just prance in here, post up some garbage, then not only expect everyone else to honor it as if it's some kind of gospel truth about football, but attack everyone who doens't jump on the anti-Arians bandwagon based solely on YOUR posts. Newsflash: The board is already littered with know-it-alls who have all the solutions and can't stand to be put in their place when they are called out for posting stupid nonsense. We've been debating Arians LONG before YOU showed up. There are probably more Arians bashing THREADS on this board than you have posts.

markymarc
12-24-2009, 09:40 AM
We've been debating Arians LONG before YOU showed up. There are probably more Arians bashing THREADS on this board than you have posts.

Kind of funny how the topic of Bruce Arians continues to be such a popular argument among the entire Steeler Nation.

zulater
12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
And I'll continue to call you on your bullshit as long as most of what you post is....well, bullshit.

I love how you just prance in here, post up some garbage, then not only expect everyone else to honor it as if it's some kind of gospel truth about football, but attack everyone who doens't jump on the anti-Arians bandwagon based solely on YOUR posts. Newsflash: The board is already littered with know-it-alls who have all the solutions and can't stand to be put in their place when they are called out for posting stupid nonsense. We've been debating Arians LONG before YOU showed up. There are probably more Arians bashing THREADS on this board than you have posts.

That's fine and I'll continue to call you douchebag, well because quite frankly that's what you come across as. And from what I've seen around the board I don't believe I'm alone in that opinion. :blah:

Bu regardless Merry Christmas to you! :hatsoff: Your opinion of me is duly noted. But irrelevant all the same.:coffee:

zulater
12-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Kind of funny how the topic of Bruce Arians continues to be such a popular argument among the entire Steeler Nation.

Why wouldn't it be? That the ( not so ) special teams, the o-line, Ben's decision making, the secondary, James Farriors's age etc... are all relative topics to the team we like most .I suppose we could all come on here and wax poetic about the Rooney's, Steelers tradition, and the like. :noidea: It least it would cure my insomnia then. :chuckle:

WH
12-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Without us discussing the things Zulater said, there would be all of 4 threads

OMG I love the Steelers [1, 2, 3, ]
How much do you think the Steelers rule [1,2,3]
Draft Time![1,2,3]
Preseason [1,2,3]

zulater
12-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Without us discussing the things Zulater said, there would be all of 4 threads

OMG I love the Steelers [1, 2, 3, ]
How much do you think the Steelers rule [1,2,3]
Draft Time![1,2,3]
Preseason [1,2,3]

:rofl:

markymarc
12-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Why wouldn't it be? That the ( not so ) special teams, the o-line, Ben's decision making, the secondary, James Farriors's age etc... are all relative topics to the team we like most .I suppose we could all come on here and wax poetic about the Rooney's, Steelers tradition, and the like. :noidea: It least it would cure my insomnia then. :chuckle:

Maybe you misunderstood because I am NOT a Bruce Arians fan :thumbsup:

zulater
12-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Maybe you misunderstood because I am NOT a Bruce Arians fan :thumbsup:

Actually I thought that might be the case, but I was on a roll so I had to go with the flow. I still had things in me that needed to come out with others in mind and your post was my conduit. :wink02: