PDA

View Full Version : If you were the Steelers' powers that be (nothing to do with current state of team)

Bng_Hevn
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
If you were in charge as the HC, owner etc and you had a walk-on during training camp who embodied the ultimate NFL LB who had all the physical and mental traits to really succeed in the NFL at a very high level, what would you do under the following scenario.

Let's say the fellow is a walk-on because, in this scenario, he "chose" the Steelers. It can be adapted to a drafted rookie too but that would be a bit more complicated.

So, you have this fellow come in and he has the speed, strength, work ethic etc and you suit him up for all the pre-season games and he simply wreaks havoc on opposing teams. You decide you want to sign the guy, knowing if you don't he'll test the waters in Baltimore, another division rival or God forbid, NE.

So, you present him with a contract and you haggle back and forth. You iron out the deal which, given his potential, is very cap friendly.

His one demand? He wants to wear jersey #58.

Not b/c he is a Lambert fan, but because his father wore the number in one fashion or another, whether it be a jersey number, the badge number on a fireman's helmet or is associated with a military unit. For whatever reason, the reason is *not* because Lambert wore it.

Would you call Jack and apologize or let the kid walk?

???

Glloydfan
12-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Play him no apologies. I'm sure Jack would understand.

NJarhead
12-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, players are free to wear any number except Ernie Stautner's #70.

It's out of respect that a few numbers are avoided.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Hmmm interesting to say the least.

Ok my take is the Steelers don't retire jersey's they retire lockers for a reason. I would sit him down and ask him a few questions about what that jersey represents in the eyes of Steeler Nation and what all that number carries with it. As long as he understands that and is still willing to wear it then I think he must have something to prove and would let him wear it. No oppologies to Splat Lambert needed, because no matter what happens we all know he made that # famous.

Glloydfan
12-17-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree no need for number to remind me of lambert... And if he played like Jack?

steelerjim58
12-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Since the number isn't officially retired { although it should be} I guess it would be ok. If it were retired I would say see ya son.

Angus Burgher
12-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Only if he was willingly to rip out his front teeth.

NJarhead
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Only if he was willingly to rip out his front teeth.

:toofunny:

Classic.

Bng_Hevn
12-17-2009, 05:59 PM
The Steelers don't retire jerseys, but they intentionally don't hand them out. 75 is another one I believe.

Crow-Magnon
12-17-2009, 06:07 PM
The Steelers don't retire jerseys, but they intentionally don't hand them out. 75 is another one I believe.

Wow, I never knew that! I guess that's a good thing, or they would have run out of a lot of jersey numbers by now.

No retired jerseys

Logo on only one side of the helmet

No cheerleaders

I gotta admit; the Steelers are a different franchise.

No matter. I'd tell the dude to pound sand. "Here, take this number, and if you're anywhere near as good as #58, the next mook who wants your jersey number will be told the same as you just were." :chuckle:

steelreserve
12-17-2009, 06:13 PM
When's this ever going to happen?

If he's drafted, he has no choice but to stick around on our terms.

If he was undrafted, he's going to be thanking his lucky stars he's even got a shot at making the practice squad, much less the regular roster. Basically, guys who are undrafted are in no position to be making demands like that. Unless they have an attitude problem, in which case they can go ahead and try out for some other team anyway.

On the other hand, if he just ASKED RESPECTFULLY, I'd probably be inclined to give it to him.

NJarhead
12-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow, I never knew that! I guess that's a good thing, or they would have run out of a lot of jersey numbers by now.

No retired jerseys

Logo on only one side of the helmet

No cheerleaders

I gotta admit; the Steelers are a different franchise.

No matter. I'd tell the dude to pound sand. "Here, take this number, and if you're anywhere near as good as #58, the next mook who wants your jersey number will be told the same as you just were." :chuckle:

One retired jersey. Ernie Stautner. Number 70.

Joey Porter actually first wore #95 but wanted a different number from the get go because he wanted to make his own name for himself.

Crow-Magnon
12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
One retired jersey. Ernie Stautner. Number 70.

Joey Porter actually first wore #95 but wanted a different number from the get go because he wanted to make his own name for himself.

Jeezus! What in hell did HE do to get his jersey retired? It must be earth-shattering if Lambert, Harris, Bradshaw, et al haven't had their jerseys retired.

Did he restore sight to the blind? :chuckle: Is he the original Steeler?

devilsdancefloor
12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
there are a few jersey numbers when i see them on another player i kinda freak like 31 & 47. i probably would freak a bit if i ever seen anyone where 75 or 52 as well. And they better be one hell of a player:tt04::tt04::tt04:

markymarc
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I would tell that player to figure out a brand new number because wearing #58 is just not happening.