View Full Version : Steelers' Roethlisberger has words for Bus

mesaSteeler
12-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Steelers' Roethlisberger has words for Bus
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_658357.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 18, 2009

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger responded to comments Thursday that former teammate Jerome Bettis made on a syndicated radio program that the Steelers' season "is basically over'' following their 13-6 loss to the Cleveland Browns.

"When you lose your spirit, then everything is pretty much gone,'' Bettis said on the Dan Patrick Show. "It tells me the leadership isn't there.''

Said Roethlisberger: "I guess he's entitled to his opinion. He's not on this team, he's not in this locker room, so he's just taking an outside view as all of you (media) guys are. If you don't know, I don't think you should speak on it.''

Roethlisberger addressed a number of topics yesterday during his weekly session with the media, including the Steelers' five-game losing streak the longest of his football career.

"Not in high school, not here, and I don't think so in college,'' Roethlisberger said. "For me, you get upset, you get disappointed. I hate losing more than anything. You have to play your best football to try to get out of it.''

WR Limas Sweed (illness) missed his second consecutive day of practice yesterday. LB James Farrior (not injury related), WR Hines Ward (hamstring) and C Justin Hartwig (knee) returned to practice, but Hartwig was limited. G Chris Kemoeatu (wrist) was limited for the second consecutive day.

DIGITS

3 Consecutive Steelers' home wins against Green Bay.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

HometownGal
12-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Said Roethlisberger: "I guess he's entitled to his opinion. He's not on this team, he's not in this locker room, so he's just taking an outside view as all of you (media) guys are. If you don't know, I don't think you should speak on it.''

:applaudit::applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit:
That is all.

Rockonsteel
12-18-2009, 08:11 AM
I don't understand why the Steelers are getting all pissed off about people's reaction to them losing. They're not just losing, they're doing it in the most embarassing way imaginable. I'm sorry, when you follow up last season's great effort, with the single most pathetic season for a defending Super Bowl champion ever, it's going to create quite a stir amongst the natives.

Losing to 4 teams with 5 or fewer wins, and struggling with another is unacceptable. Jerome said nothing wrong. He's only calling it like he sees it, like we all see it. I know nobody wants to hear that they stink, even when they know they do. But, hey, the truth hurts. Does Ben expect JB to just give some fluff opinion because he played with and won a SB with these guys?

Bottomline, they put themselves in the position they're in. They've made themselves the punchline of the league for this season. They've made themselves easy marks for the pundits. Now, they've got to drink their medicine. Playing the "they're not in this locker room, so they don't know", card doesn't cut it at this point. You don't have to be in the locker room to see that there are major, major problems. Sorry Ben, but until the Steelers put forth a better effort on the field, people, even former teammates like JB and Logan are going to continue to call them out.

Rockon

xfl2001fan
12-18-2009, 08:25 AM
I don't understand why the Steelers are getting all pissed off about people's reaction to them losing. They're not just losing, they're doing it in the most embarassing way imaginable. I'm sorry, when you follow up last season's great effort, with the single most pathetic season for a defending Super Bowl champion ever, it's going to create quite a stir amongst the natives.

The 2003 Buccaneers were 6-7 following their SB win...and went on to have a 7-9 season.

I'm sure, as a fan of the Steelers, it feels pretty bad right now (not that you'd really know what bad is...) but it could be worse...and it has been for other teams fans that have supported a SB winner.

Rockonsteel
12-18-2009, 08:52 AM
The 2003 Buccaneers were 6-7 following their SB win...and went on to have a 7-9 season.

I'm sure, as a fan of the Steelers, it feels pretty bad right now (not that you'd really know what bad is...) but it could be worse...and it has been for other teams fans that have supported a SB winner.

Did the '03 Bucs lose to the likes of the 3 win Raiders, the 3 win Chiefs, the 2 win Browns, and the 5 win Bears, who aren't even that good? I don't think so. I also recall that Bucs roster having a lot of turnover due to age and free agency. This team returned almost completely intact. It's not even a comparison.

Rockonsteel
12-18-2009, 09:07 AM
The Bucs also had a journeyman QB, who got hot for a season. He was hurt the next year. Chris Simms and Brian Griese started most of the games for the Bucs in '04. The Steelers have a franchise QB in his prime. Do you really think the scenarios are comparable?

NJarhead
12-18-2009, 11:25 AM
"I guess he's entitled to his opinion. He's not on this team, he's not in this locker room, so he's just taking an outside view as all of you (media) guys are. If you don't know, I don't think you should speak on it.''

That is all.

Plus One!

fansince'76
12-18-2009, 11:28 AM

Want to shut the media up about it, Ben? Start winning again and stop losing to shit teams you should be beating by 4 TDs+.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Did the '03 Bucs lose to the likes of the 3 win Raiders, the 3 win Chiefs, the 2 win Browns, and the 5 win Bears, who aren't even that good? I don't think so. I also recall that Bucs roster having a lot of turnover due to age and free agency. This team returned almost completely intact. It's not even a comparison.

Exactly!!!

Glace
12-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Want to shut the media up about it, Ben? Start winning again and stop losing to shit teams you should be beating by 4 TDs+.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

pghfrank1948
12-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I wish the players would get pissed off just like the Steeler Nation. It seems to me they should play pissed off and maybe they might win a damn game. Home loss to the awful raiders, sheetz, loss to the damn stains, double yoi, the three worse teams to lose to, triple yoi. K.C Im a fn win orlose but it sure is nice when they win, Go Steelers. The Bus knows what he is talking about!!

SteelersinCA
12-18-2009, 11:48 AM
This back and forth confirms to me what we already knew, the team lacks leadership. There is no reason Ben should be getting into a battle of words with anyone. It's a shame when you are expected to think Ben has matured.

Rockonsteel
12-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Yup...that what he said!!

Spidey
12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
We're bound to have lost a little spirit after the past 5 weeks, but the main reason we are losing is poor execution and shonky game planning come Sunday.

You can have all the spirit you like, spirit don't make you drop interceptions and get you in the shotgun on 3rd and short!

BlastFurnace
12-18-2009, 12:06 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
12-18-2009, 12:08 PM
This back and forth confirms to me what we already knew, the team lacks leadership. There is no reason Ben should be getting into a battle of words with anyone. It's a shame when you are expected to think Ben has matured.

Ben has absolutely no room to talk right now. What the media is saying...right or wrong...appears right because the team has played like a bottom 5 team for about 5 weeks.now.

If Ben wants to shut everyone up, then play better.

SteelGhost
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM

Losing to 4 teams with 5 or fewer wins, and struggling with another is unacceptable. Jerome said nothing wrong. He's only calling it like he sees it, like we all see it. I know nobody wants to hear that they stink, even when they know they do. But, hey, the truth hurts. Does Ben expect JB to just give some fluff opinion because he played with and won a SB with these guys?

Bottomline, they put themselves in the position they're in. They've made themselves the punchline of the league for this season. They've made themselves easy marks for the pundits. Now, they've got to drink their medicine. Playing the "they're not in this locker room, so they don't know", card doesn't cut it at this point. You don't have to be in the locker room to see that there are major, major problems. Sorry Ben, but until the Steelers put forth a better effort on the field, people, even former teammates like JB and Logan are going to continue to call them out.

Rockon

So true Rockonsteel, it's not rocket science to see the evident stuff, playing bad with the Titans, Lions, losing to the Bears, Chiefs, Raiders and Browns after winning the sixth Lombardi is clear evidence that something is wrong with all the organization. I'm not B&Moaning, I just want my team to fix the issues, I've followed B & G for almost 4 decades and this season has been really dissapointing despite of the fact that I'm "half full glass" kind of fan.

SteelGhost
12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Ben has absolutely no room to talk right now. What the media is saying...right or wrong...appears right because the team has played like a bottom 5 team for about 5 weeks.now.

If Ben wants to shut everyone up, then play better.

:thumbsup:

xbroughneck
12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger responded to comments Thursday that former teammate Jerome Bettis made on a syndicated radio program that the Steelers' season "is basically over'' following their 13-6 loss to the Cleveland Browns.

"When you lose your spirit, then everything is pretty much gone,'' Bettis said on the Dan Patrick Show. "It tells me the leadership isn't there.''

Roethlisberger addressed a number of topics yesterday during his weekly session with the media, including the Steelers' five-game losing streak the longest of his football career.

So there IS leadership in the locker room.

OK leader. You've lost to bad teams this year. What are YOU doing as a leader Mr. Roethlisberger? You're right. The bus isn't in there and is only voicing his opinion.

YOU are in there. YOU aren't making the playoffs this year and apparently the leadership isn't getting the most from the rest of the players. How do you fix it? Here's something.

WHY DIDNT YOU RUN THE BALL MORE IN THE CLEVELAND GAME LEADER? You can audible out of the passing play that's called by Arians. You feel the weather, you SHOULD KNOW (as leader) that you're facing the browns and they aren't good against the run. The pass isn't working in that situation. What are you doing as the leader?

Look. I LOVE Ben. And he's right in what he said about the Bus.

So I expect some answers from him since we all know, that as the QB, he SHOULD be one of the leaders on the team. Since we constantly hear how he loves Bruce Arians offense...

solardave
12-18-2009, 01:14 PM
That is all.

AMEN!!

MACH1
12-18-2009, 01:50 PM
So there IS leadership in the locker room.

OK leader. You've lost to bad teams this year. What are YOU doing as a leader Mr. Roethlisberger? You're right. The bus isn't in there and is only voicing his opinion.

YOU are in there. YOU aren't making the playoffs this year and apparently the leadership isn't getting the most from the rest of the players. How do you fix it? Here's something.

WHY DIDNT YOU RUN THE BALL MORE IN THE CLEVELAND GAME LEADER? You can audible out of the passing play that's called by Arians. You feel the weather, you SHOULD KNOW (as leader) that you're facing the browns and they aren't good against the run. The pass isn't working in that situation. What are you doing as the leader?

Look. I LOVE Ben. And he's right in what he said about the Bus.

So I expect some answers from him since we all know, that as the QB, he SHOULD be one of the leaders on the team. Since we constantly hear how he loves Bruce Arians offense...

Who's going to run the ball when your in shotgun with 5 wide and no rb on the field?

WH
12-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Who's going to run the ball when your in shotgun with 5 wide and no rb on the field?
Ben, QB sneak.

steelreserve
12-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Isn't it kind of the media's JOB to speak on it? Or are they just supposed to sit there with their dick in their hand?

Obviously, no one knows what's going on in the locker room as well as the people who are inside it, but it ought to be pretty obvious that under circumstances like these, everybody and their dog is going to have some kind of theory to speculate about, so it shouldn't come as any surprise.

WH
12-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Isn't it kind of the media's JOB to speak on it? Or are they just supposed to sit there with their dick in their hand?

Obviously, no one knows what's going on in the locker room as well as the people who are inside it, but it ought to be pretty obvious that under circumstances like these, everybody and their dog is going to have some kind of theory to speculate about, so it shouldn't come as any surprise.

The media is like all of us on the message boards, we all have an opinion. Except they get paid good money to give us theirs

Steelers17
12-18-2009, 02:32 PM

I see where you are going here!

Edman
12-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Bus is only echoing what everyone is saying.

Ben, I don't care what you did, but what you did then cannot excuse what is happening now. You're currently on a five game losing streak and you just got your ass kicked by the 2-11 Cleveland Browns on National TV. You were embarrassed at home by a bunch of Oakland Scrubs , you were embarrassed again by the Cincinnati Bengals effectively handing them the AFC North, and you turned the Kansas City Defense into the Steel Curtain, in what is probably the most embarrassing and disappointing Steelers seasons EVER. How does it feel to put up yet another Title Defense clunker when your QB proteges the Manning Brothers and Brady at least made the playoffs after winning it all. The Steelers will be lucky to finish 8-8.

You have no, absolutely NO words to say. Bus can say whatever the hell he wants. And what he happened to say was the truth. You and the team suck this year. Thank you for 2008, but the performances you and "the locker room" put up this season were profoundly disgusting. Even after Tomlin stood behind you guys.

Stop being a ****ing celebrity, stop sucking ass on the field and people will shut their mouths about you and the team.

Rockonsteel
12-18-2009, 03:01 PM

Ben, I don't care what you did, but what you did then cannot excuse what is happening now. You're currently on a five game losing streak and you just got your ass kicked by the 2-11 Cleveland Browns on National TV. You were embarrassed at home by a bunch of Oakland Scrubs , you were embarrassed again by the Cincinnati Bengals effectively handing them the AFC North, and you turned the Kansas City Defense into the Steel Curtain, in what is probably the most embarrassing and disappointing Steelers seasons EVER. How does it feel to put up yet another Title Defense clunker when your QB proteges the Manning Brothers and Brady at least made the playoffs after winning it all. The Steelers will be lucky to finish 8-8.

You have no, absolutely NO words to say. Bus can say whatever the hell he wants. And what he happened to say was the truth. You and the team suck this year. Thank you for 2008, but the performances you and "the locker room" put up this season were profoundly disgusting. Even after Tomlin stood behind you guys.

Stop being a ****ing celebrity, stop sucking ass on the field and people will shut their mouths about you and the team.

Yesssiiiirrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Steelerfreak58
12-18-2009, 03:01 PM

TADA! Simply put yet elegant and to the point.

This is the DEFENDING SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS and they are acting as if the media is going to be doing anything different? This year they look like the DEFENDING SUPER BOWL CHUMPS not CHAMPS.

Losing to KC, Jokeland, and the Stains 3 is just not going to get you much good press so as a team STFU and do something about it by winning the last three with a bit of pride and finish off the season with a winning record at least and maybe just maybe if your lucky enough a chance to be in the playoffs.

WH
12-18-2009, 03:06 PM

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/9f6912dc13eae5389b645f9de8c66b75c54744f5_m.gif

Glace
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM

That...was....AWESOME!
:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

SMR
12-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Rockon

You took the words outta my mouth!
Thank you for telling it like it is like the Bus does!

SMR
12-18-2009, 05:46 PM

:tt04::helmet::tt04:

Larry
12-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Shut up Ben, start leading this team.

NEPAsteeler
12-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Pull out some victories and the media will leave us alone. :noidea:

Preacher
12-18-2009, 06:50 PM
So let me get this straight.

Now we are ripping on Ben for

1. Standing up for the team- does that make him a bad teammate...or a good one?

2. Standing up to a friend of his for his current teammates... does that make him a REally bad teammate?

3. Showing emotion about what is happening... but wait, I thought they didn't care.

4. a partial quote from a much larger press conference.

Sure, we are SO supportive of our team. :rofl: How long before the Bradshaw (oops Roethlisberger) in a noose effigies come out again?

devilsdancefloor
12-18-2009, 06:58 PM
i know bussy gets paid to be the media guy now, but in the back of my head i just wonder if he is trying to motivate from afar? plus i am glad to see a little fire from ben

Preacher
12-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I really am a little surprised Bus hasn't been offered a RB coach position with the Steelers.

Glace
12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Nobody is really ripping on Ben.....and it's true for any of them speaking up right now. If they want to shut people up...they need to get out there and get a victory....or at least a hard-fought battle. Not rolling over and handing the worst team in the league a victory.

St33lersguy
12-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Rockon

:thumbsup:
Really sad that he and others like Ryan Clark complain about the media and don't want us expressing our opinions about whats wrong just because we're not in the locker room when they have embarrassed themselves against inferior teams.

HometownGal
12-19-2009, 09:10 AM

2. Standing up to a friend of his for his current teammates... does that make him a REally bad teammate?

3. Showing emotion about what is happening... but wait, I thought they didn't care.

Sure, we are SO supportive of our team. :rofl: How long before the Bradshaw (oops Roethlisberger) in a noose effigies come out again?

Bravo!!! :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Couldn't have said it any better. :thumbsup:

Shut up, Bus, and go back to counting the green at your restaurant.

Rockonsteel
12-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Sure, we are SO supportive of our team. How long before the Bradshaw (oops Roethlisberger) in a noose effigies come out again?

Bravo!!! :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Couldn't have said it any better. :thumbsup:

Shut up, Bus, and go back to counting the green at your restaurant.

Some of you are incredible with your myopic view on things. God forbid, somebody is calling the Steelers on their gross underachievement this season. They're lucky they're not being arrested and sued for gross negligence.

It's not about attacking Ben. It's about the fact that they are playing like crap, and people are not going to sugarcoat it. Not the fans, not the national media and not his friends/ex-teammates that get paid a decent amount to speak the truth and call it like they see it.

It's about the fact that they shouldn't be worrying about what Jerome or Mike Logan or anybody else has to say at this point. They have enough problems in their lap. That's the last thing they should be focused on. He could've simply said "that's their opinion", and moved on. Like I said, nobody wants to hear they stink, even when they do. Especially when you shouldn't.

It's about the fact that if they weren't mired in a five game losing streak, to some god-awful teams, they wouldn't have to worry about Jerome or Logan or anybody else questioning their effort.

After this team beat the Broncos in Denver, to culminate a five game winning streak(who knew that night, that a month and a half later, that would be their last victory?), the media was foaming at the mouth ready to hop head first onto the Steelers bandwagon. Then they got derailed by the Bengals and Chiefs, uh-oh. Ok...hiccup. Well, guess what? The hiccups haven't gone away. The Steelers have become that little girl who can't stop sneezing. She sneezes light 12,000 times a day. The Steelers are losing games at the rate that a stuck pig loses blood. Now, the media talks about the miserable effort the Steelers have been putting forth the last five weeks. Until that changes, Ben and Ryan can expect more of the same.

Rockon :hatsoff:

4xSBChamps
12-19-2009, 10:07 AM

a year after winning SB 17, San Phagcisco went 3-6 in a strike-shortened 1982 season, finishing 3rd in the NFC West, behind such powers as Atlanta & New Orleans

4xSBChamps
12-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I really am a little surprised Bus hasn't been offered a RB coach position with the Steelers.

..... do you think this offense NEEDS a running-back coach?

:noidea:

fanof#43
12-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't know what is causing the slump, and I don't want know. I just want it to end and to see the guys start putting more games in the W column. I'm still trying to figure out how the Browns sacked Big Ben 8, yes, eight times. What happened to the rest of the offense. Was he the only one on the field. I've seen the line hold for so long that Ben could have taken a nap back there. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes and I'm not trying to be an armchair QB, but, come on.

Jmat
12-19-2009, 02:16 PM
So Ben and his team fine when the fans and the media are kissing their ass and worshiping them when they are winning. But we're all a bunch of jagoffs when we call them out when they are playing like shit.

I love Ben but he can really come across as a whiny, arrogant bitch when he wants to.

WH
12-19-2009, 02:21 PM
So Ben and his team fine when the fans and the media are kissing their ass and worshiping them when they are winning. But we're all a bunch of jagoffs when we call them out when they are playing like shit.

I love Ben but he can really come across as a whiny, arrogant bitch. fixed

Buy my Jersey and Shut the hell up.

Edman
12-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Nobody is jumping on Ben for speaking up. People are jumping on Ben for speaking out on the Bus for his criticism of the team in a poor attempt to justify their five weeks of awfulness. When you're playing well and winning, people will praise you. As we all did in February when you raised #6. We even praised you when you were 6-2. But it's not 2008 anymore, and you're not 6-2 anymore. You're 6-7. It's 2009, and it's likely the last week when the Steelers are in playoff conversation.

Ben and the team have done nothing the past month and a half worthy of praise, but well worthy of criticism. They expect the people and the media are going to throw them a bone and kiss their asses for their shitty play and complete lack of heart the past five weeks, and especially Last Thursday in Cleveland. Well, It doesn't work that way in Pittsburgh, or anywhere for that matter. If you get the praise, you better be ready to take the criticism too. Especially when you're playing like utter crap. If Ben doesn't like it, too bad for him.

I appreciate everything the guy has done for us, but he's way off base here.

WH
12-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Nobody is jumping on Ben for speaking up. People are jumping on Ben for speaking out on the Bus for his criticism of the team in a poor attempt to justify their five weeks of awfulness. When you're playing well and winning, people will praise you. As we all did in February when you raised #6. We even praised you when you were 6-2. But it's not 2008 anymore, and you're not 6-2 anymore. You're 6-7. It's 2009, and it's likely the last week when the Steelers are in playoff conversation.

Ben and the team have done nothing the past month and a half worthy of praise, but well worthy of criticism. They expect the people and the media are going to throw them a bone and kiss their asses for their shitty play and complete lack of heart the past five weeks, and especially Last Thursday in Cleveland. Well, It doesn't work that way in Pittsburgh, or anywhere for that matter. If you get the praise, you better be ready to take the criticism too. Especially when you're playing like utter crap. If Ben doesn't like it, too bad for him.

I appreciate everything the guy has done for us, but he's way off base here.

You get one too.

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/9f6912dc13eae5389b645f9de8c66b75c54744f5_m.gif

ALTHOUGH, Jerome Bettis owes Ben Roethlisberger his entire legacy. Ben saved him from being a goat, forever. You all know what I'm talking about.

Gnutella
12-19-2009, 03:42 PM
I think Roethlisberger took offense to the claim that there was no leadership in the locker room, and that's why he reacted the way he did.

There are a couple of things about his style on the field and his attitude off the field that I wish he'd change, but it really must be trendy for people outside of Pittsburgh to treat him like sh*t.

plenewken
12-19-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how the Browns sacked Big Ben 8, yes, eight times.

As awful as it sounds, it's still 1 less than last year against the Eagles who also scored a safety in what's arguably one of the biggest Steelers offensive debacles ever. But let's not focus on the 9 sacks alone, Ben avoided 5 more sacks that day by getting rid of the ball.

When the Steelers offense sucks, it sucks big time!

Gnutella
12-19-2009, 04:08 PM
As awful as it sounds, it's still 1 less than last year against the Eagles who also scored a safety in what's arguably one of the biggest Steelers offensive debacles ever. But let's not focus on the 9 sacks alone, Ben avoided 5 more sacks that day by getting rid of the ball.

When the Steelers offense sucks, it sucks big time!

And if he would have gotten rid of the ball four more times, like he had the opportunity to, he would have had only four sacks.

stb_steeler
12-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Kind of sounds like a he said she said thing.......

iloveben7
12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I love Ben but he can really come across as a whiny, arrogant bitch when he wants to.
Ben isn't whining, that would be Brady or Manning.
I guess you haven't figured out yet that he has a pretty big chip on his shoulder and is extremely competitive and just won't take that kind of comment sitting down.

I bet you would all do the same thing too when someone who used to be your teammate said the exact same thing about you. I know the team has been struggling, but I think it would annoy anyone when someone that is NOT on the team and doesn't know what's going on makes a comment like that. But wait that's the media's job and they get paid for doing the easiest job in the world.

Preacher
12-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Sure, we are SO supportive of our team. How long before the Bradshaw (oops Roethlisberger) in a noose effigies come out again?

Some of you are incredible with your myopic view on things. God forbid, somebody is calling the Steelers on their gross underachievement this season. They're lucky they're not being arrested and sued for gross negligence.

It's not about attacking Ben. It's about the fact that they are playing like crap, and people are not going to sugarcoat it. Not the fans, not the national media and not his friends/ex-teammates that get paid a decent amount to speak the truth and call it like they see it.

It's about the fact that they shouldn't be worrying about what Jerome or Mike Logan or anybody else has to say at this point. They have enough problems in their lap. That's the last thing they should be focused on. He could've simply said "that's their opinion", and moved on. Like I said, nobody wants to hear they stink, even when they do. Especially when you shouldn't.

It's about the fact that if they weren't mired in a five game losing streak, to some god-awful teams, they wouldn't have to worry about Jerome or Logan or anybody else questioning their effort.

After this team beat the Broncos in Denver, to culminate a five game winning streak(who knew that night, that a month and a half later, that would be their last victory?), the media was foaming at the mouth ready to hop head first onto the Steelers bandwagon. Then they got derailed by the Bengals and Chiefs, uh-oh. Ok...hiccup. Well, guess what? The hiccups haven't gone away. The Steelers have become that little girl who can't stop sneezing. She sneezes light 12,000 times a day. The Steelers are losing games at the rate that a stuck pig loses blood. Now, the media talks about the miserable effort the Steelers have been putting forth the last five weeks. Until that changes, Ben and Ryan can expect more of the same.

Rockon :hatsoff:

I see. So what you are saying is that Ben should simply be quiet, like the rest of them, not say a word at all, while everyone else is dumping on them... and then allow all the great coaches and OC's on this board and dozens like this one... plus the press to all claim that "they just don't care".

Because you know as well as I do, that if Ben and Clark didn't say anything... There would have been a thread started here by now with a title such as "Steelers just don't care" and the OP writing something about how all the press is bagging on the team and there is no fire from the leaders in the press about it.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. Look, I understand you are frustrated. That is great and wonderful. But please understand this. There are people on this board that have done NOTHING but complain about this team and their coaches from day one. If we win a game by 3 points, we should have won by 7, if by 7 we should have won by 14, if 14, we should have won by 21.

If we win by 28 points, then they complain about how we scored so many points instead of not running the football more. IF we ran the football more and still scored... then they complain about not running the football in the I formation. If we ran it in the I formation and won it by 28 points then they complain about how it was against a soft defense. If the defense was a top defense then they complain about how we didn't score in the 4th quarter. IF we scored half the points in the 4th quarter, they complain about how we ran up the score and that isn't classy steelers football.

See why some of us are just a little jaded to people who whine around here?

And please . . . don't break out the "Well this time it is true argument." A broken clock is right twice a day. If you (general, not you, in particular) whine about enough things, eventually, you'll hit one that ends up becoming true.

None of us here doubt that there are problems... that things need to be fixed... or are not frustrated by how the Steelers have played, Contrary to popular opinion (You know, that you have to whine incessantly about the team to actually be someone that "Cares" about winning).

Some of us just have a view of reality that incessant whining does nothing but generally brings down the community it is being done in...which is exactly what has happened to this board over the last 3 years.

Rockonsteel
12-19-2009, 06:12 PM
I see. So what you are saying is that Ben should simply be quiet, like the rest of them, not say a word at all, while everyone else is dumping on them... and then allow all the great coaches and OC's on this board and dozens like this one... plus the press to all claim that "they just don't care".

Because you know as well as I do, that if Ben and Clark didn't say anything... There would have been a thread started here by now with a title such as "Steelers just don't care" and the OP writing something about how all the press is bagging on the team and there is no fire from the leaders in the press about it.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. Look, I understand you are frustrated. That is great and wonderful. But please understand this. There are people on this board that have done NOTHING but complain about this team and their coaches from day one. If we win a game by 3 points, we should have won by 7, if by 7 we should have won by 14, if 14, we should have won by 21.

If we win by 28 points, then they complain about how we scored so many points instead of not running the football more. IF we ran the football more and still scored... then they complain about not running the football in the I formation. If we ran it in the I formation and won it by 28 points then they complain about how it was against a soft defense. If the defense was a top defense then they complain about how we didn't score in the 4th quarter. IF we scored half the points in the 4th quarter, they complain about how we ran up the score and that isn't classy steelers football.

And please . . . don't break out the "Well this time it is true argument." A broken clock is right twice a day. If you (general, not you, in particular) whine about enough things, eventually, you'll hit one that ends up becoming true.

None of us here doubt that there are problems... that things need to be fixed... or are not frustrated by how the Steelers have played, Contrary to popular opinion (You know, that you have to whine incessantly about the team to actually be someone that "Cares" about winning).

Some of us just have a view of reality that incessant whining does nothing but generally brings down the community it is being done in...which is exactly what has happened to this board over the last 3 years.

I hear ya,man, Bottomline, we all wanna this team get back to championship caliber, Pittsburgh Steeler football, that they so capable of playing. It's one thing to stink it up when you don't have the horses, but with talent on this team, injuries or not, they shouldn't be collapsing monumentally like this.

Like I said in another thread, I'm not saying Ben or anybody else should shut up. I'm saying that when you play like they have you're gonna get heat. Instead of wasting energy focusing on what's being said, collectively channel that into digging your way out of this hole you worked so hard to dig yourself into.

Rockon

HometownGal
12-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Post of the month! :applaudit::drink::thumbsup:

However, you forgot that if the Steelers don't win by 50+ points, it's just not good enough and if the O puts up 20+ points and have a lead late in the game which is negated by the D's poor 4Q play, the O and Arians be damned because the D was "on the field too long". :coffee:

Spoken for truth. :shake02:

Instead of wasting energy focusing on what's being said, collectively channel that into digging your way out of this hole you worked so hard to dig yourself into.

I think some of the whiners around here could do themselves (and the rest of us) an enormous justice if, instead of belaboring the same broken records over and over and over again, maybe they could find some positive energy within themselves and channel it into their support for a team and franchise who have given them so much to be grateful for instead of acting like a bunch of spoiled brats who feel that the Steelers owe them a playoff appearance and a Super Bowl win every season.

rich4eagle
12-19-2009, 07:35 PM
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

"Not in high school, not here, and I don't think so in college,'' Roethlisberger said. "For me, you get upset, you get disappointed. I hate losing more than anything. You have to play your best football to try to get out of it.''

WR Limas Sweed (illness) missed his second consecutive day of practice yesterday. LB James Farrior (not injury related), WR Hines Ward (hamstring) and C Justin Hartwig (knee) returned to practice, but Hartwig was limited. G Chris Kemoeatu (wrist) was limited for the second consecutive day.

DIGITS

3 Consecutive Steelers' home wins against Green Bay.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Go Ben sumtimes stuff happens................Ben is a winner and proven/................let's hope they rally around him vs the naysayers...................:tt::tt04::tt03::tt02:

The_WARDen
12-19-2009, 08:06 PM

Bravo! :thumbsup:

The_WARDen
12-19-2009, 08:08 PM

No...actually, that'd be you.
:popcorn:

Rockonsteel
12-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Post of the month! :applaudit::drink::thumbsup:

However, you forgot that if the Steelers don't win by 50+ points, it's just not good enough and if the O puts up 20+ points and have a lead late in the game which is negated by the D's poor 4Q play, the O and Arians be damned because the D was "on the field too long". :coffee:

Spoken for truth. :shake02:

I think some of the whiners around here could do themselves (and the rest of us) an enormous justice if, instead of belaboring the same broken records over and over and over again, maybe they could find some positive energy within themselves and channel it into their support for a team and franchise who have given them so much to be grateful for instead of acting like a bunch of spoiled brats who feel that the Steelers owe them a playoff appearance and a Super Bowl win every season.

1 Thu Sep 10, 2009 Titans W 13-10 (OT) 1-0 65,110
2 Sun Sep 20, 2009 @Bears L 14-17 1-1 62,231 Bears 5-8
3 Sun Sep 27, 2009 @Bengals L 20-23 1-2 64,538
4 Sun Oct 4, 2009 Chargers W 38-28 2-2 64,045
5 Sun Oct 11, 2009 @Lions W 28-20 3-2 59,333
6 Sun Oct 18, 2009 Browns W 27-14 4-2 64,398
7 Sun Oct 25, 2009 Vikings W 27-17 5-2 65,597
8 --- BYE WEEK ---
9 Mon Nov 9, 2009 @Broncos W 28-10 6-2 76,716
10 Sun Nov 15, 2009 Bengals L 12-18 6-3 65,392
11 Sun Nov 22, 2009 @Chiefs L 24-27 (OT) 6-4 70,261 Chiefs 3-10
12 Sun Nov 29, 2009 @Ravens L 17-20 (OT) 6-5 71,314
13 Sun Dec 6, 2009 Raiders L 24-27 6-6 61,820 Raiders 4-9
14 Thu Dec 10, 2009 @Browns L 6-13 6-7 69,009 Browns 2-11

Pretty much sums it up right there...

X-Terminator
12-19-2009, 10:19 PM

Unfortunately, you and I both know that isn't going to happen. The sense of entitlement among the fans has reached critical mass.

This has been the longest 10 days I've been through around here, and January 4 can't get here soon enough.

Preacher
12-19-2009, 10:32 PM
1 Thu Sep 10, 2009 Titans W 13-10 (OT) 1-0 65,110
2 Sun Sep 20, 2009 @Bears L 14-17 1-1 62,231 Bears 5-8
3 Sun Sep 27, 2009 @Bengals L 20-23 1-2 64,538
4 Sun Oct 4, 2009 Chargers W 38-28 2-2 64,045
5 Sun Oct 11, 2009 @Lions W 28-20 3-2 59,333
6 Sun Oct 18, 2009 Browns W 27-14 4-2 64,398
7 Sun Oct 25, 2009 Vikings W 27-17 5-2 65,597
8 --- BYE WEEK ---
9 Mon Nov 9, 2009 @Broncos W 28-10 6-2 76,716
10 Sun Nov 15, 2009 Bengals L 12-18 6-3 65,392
11 Sun Nov 22, 2009 @Chiefs L 24-27 (OT) 6-4 70,261 Chiefs 3-10
12 Sun Nov 29, 2009 @Ravens L 17-20 (OT) 6-5 71,314
13 Sun Dec 6, 2009 Raiders L 24-27 6-6 61,820 Raiders 4-9
14 Thu Dec 10, 2009 @Browns L 6-13 6-7 69,009 Browns 2-11

Pretty much sums it up right there...

Actually, I believe HTG's point is summed up by THESE games (underlined, including one which we were a fieldgoal away from 20). In each of these games, the other team came back in the second half to win.

HometownGal
12-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Actually, I believe HTG's point is summed up by THESE games (underlined, including one which we were a fieldgoal away from 20). In each of these games, the other team came back in the second half to win.

Geez Louise Father - praise be the Saints that others get it around here. :banging: The Steelers D almost blew another second half lead in the Lions game, as well.

Rick5895
12-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Ben didn't like what Bus said, too bad. He responded, to me thats great! It shows some life, same with Clark, the frustration is boiling over. I would be disappointed if I didn't hear them come out and say something. That being said , critism comes with the territory, deal with it. All these forums get to the same tired avenues, the people who solely blame the defense collapses or the people that solely blame the play calling of B.A. I don't like Arians I think he doesnt call a good game, however, it's not all his fault, the D has struggled at crucial times as has our special teams. This appears to be a very mentally worn down team, and when teams are mentally worn down they make 2 or 3 mistakes more than usually do in games, in this league that is enough to lose a game.
The media has a job to do, they do it, accept it and move on with it, although I do appreciate the passion clark and ben showed.
Remember you're never as good as people think when your at your best and never as bad as people think when you are at your worst!!

steelpride12
12-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Well the Steelers are going to just have to deal with all this media junk I don't care who it comes from. When you go from Super Bowl champs to 6 and 7 during a season of high hopes its no surprise they are jumping all over this team.

The Steelers just need to stay their course and play their hearts out the rest of the season and just ignore what the media has to say.

tmacsteelerfan
12-20-2009, 10:42 AM
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Jmat
12-20-2009, 11:31 AM
No...actually, that'd be you.
:popcorn:

Um.....okay.:coffee:

Preacher
12-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Um.....okay.:coffee:

:toofunny:

Just struck me as funny.

iloveben7
12-21-2009, 03:48 AM
what are all the Ben bashers saying now???
Only the 10th player for pass for over 500 yards and only the 3rd to throw for 500+ and no INT's.