PDA

View Full Version : Nobody asked me, but . . .

mesaSteeler
12-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Nobody asked me, but . . .
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx
By Bob Smizik | Friday, 12:30 a.m.

* Since someone accused me yesterday of calling Bruce Arians ``an offensive genius,’’ I’d like to take this time to define my stance on the much-maligned Steelers offensive coordinator. I have never called him a genius or any term remotely similar. I have frequently defended him because I think the criticisms of him range from unfair to ridiculous. He’s not the best offensive coordinator in the league and he’s not the worst. The Steelers did not win a Super Bowl last year in spite of him.

* I often have introduced the yards-per-game and yards-per-play statistic to defend Arians. I have used these numbers only to show Arians is not a blathering idiot when it comes to play calling and not to suggest he‘s a genius. A team is not fourth in the AFC and ninth in NFL in those categories with an offensive coordinator whose play-calling is as predictably as Arians’ critics contend.

* I often have introduced to the discussion time of possession, a statistic in which the Steelers rank fourth in the NFL. This is not meant to praise Arians but only to point out the Steelers defense has not been on the field too long, as many contend.

* I have been critical of Arians for not running enough this season and believe a ground game is the heart of a great offense. Hopefully, Arians is gaining more confidence in Rashard Mendenhall because the Steelers Bruce Ariansneed to emphasize the run Sunday against the Green Bay Packers.

* This may or may not be affecting his play, but Ben Roethlisberger looks to heavy.

(Rest of article not about the Steelers. - mesa)

BigBen'sSwagger
12-18-2009, 07:38 AM
As the Emperor Chaz stated "Stats are for losers"

1. Tired of seeing empty backfield when you are facing some of the worst rush defenses in the league.

2. 3rd and 1 in a shotgun formation not once twice???

3. Bruce is the WORST OC in the league

4. We won the Superbowl last year with Mitch Berger but I don't see him back again this year. Did we win the Superbowl despite him? If the answer is yes then I guess we could have won the Superbowl despite Bruce too.

I aint accusing you of saying B.A. is a genious just showing why I think he is the WORST OC in the league.

Texasteel
12-18-2009, 07:41 AM
The Browns game cost BA a lot of support, including much of mine, but blaming him for all the bad play both on the offense a defense, which some here have, still is not fair. He may loss his job or get demoted next year and if that happens I will not complain about it. How ever I still do not see him as the drooling idiot that some are making him out to be. This team won as a team, coaches and players, and lost as a team, coaches and players. If they win again this year or next, which I believe they will, it will be as a team, coaches and players. Of course as with everyone else, this is just my opinion.

HometownGal
12-18-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm with you, Tex. I still stand by my position that BA is not the reason why this team is on a downslope right now and if the FO/Tomlin deem it necessary to give him a pink slip at the end of the season, though I won't like it - I'll support their decision. I believe the man has been unfairly scapegoated and maligned and when/if he is no longer a part of the team, the haters will find someone else to hate on, even if the Steelers finish undefeated next season, win the division and conference titles and the Super Bowl. I read enough hate around here after the Steelers won last year's big game to support my opinion on that.

SteelMember
12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
* This may or may not be affecting his play, but Ben Roethlisberger looks to heavy.

"You look like the piss boy."

"Well, you look like a bucket of Sh!t."

:poke:

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Eh, what does Smizik know, anyway, da bum! It's the SF braintrust, baby! That's what counts!

markymarc
12-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Funny how Bob wants to pull out stats to prove his point and I applaud him for that. So I am just curious if Bob decided to check out where the Steelers currently rank for scoring offense. I will give you a hint Bob and it's not in the top ten. As of today we rank #16. I could be totally wrong, but if you have a top ten offense shouldn't you also be in the top ten for scoring if your offense is truly that good?

This team has a few problems that need to be worked out and yes that does include Bruce Arians. The defense, special teams and offense can all be blamed for our 7 losses this season. I can't wait to see how Bruce Arians and the offense attack the #2 ranked defense in the Packers tomorrow.

zulater
12-19-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm with you, Tex. I still stand by my position that BA is not the reason why this team is on a downslope right now and if the FO/Tomlin deem it necessary to give him a pink slip at the end of the season, though I won't like it - I'll support their decision. I believe the man has been unfairly scapegoated and maligned and when/if he is no longer a part of the team, the haters will find someone else to hate on, even if the Steelers finish undefeated next season, win the division and conference titles and the Super Bowl. I read enough hate around here after the Steelers won last year's big game to support my opinion on that.

Calling people "haters" because they don't think Bruce Arains is the right man to be this teams OC is being a bit of a hater yourself imo.

I thought it was time to change running backs earlair this year because I see Willie Parker as a guy who's running with old legs. Or at least that's what i thought, but now I realize I was just a player hater. :mad:

If I express the opinion that Bryant McFadden is missed and that William Gay probably isn't starter material am I a hater? I suppose so. :noidea:

I like Jeff Hartwig but don't think he's up to the Steelers needs as a center? Or at least i thought I liked him, but apparently I don't like him because I'm a hater. :doh:

Rockonsteel
12-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Calling people "haters" because they don't think Bruce Arains is the right man to be this teams OC is being a bit of a hater yourself imo.

I thought it was time to change running backs earlair this year because I see Willie Parker as a guy who's running with old legs. Or at least that's what i thought, but now I realize I was just a player hater. :mad:

If I express the opinion that Bryant McFadden is missed and that William Gay probably isn't starter material am I a hater? I suppose so. :noidea:

I like Jeff Hartwig but don't think he's up to the Steelers needs as a center? Or at least i thought I liked him, but apparently I don't like him because I'm a hater. :doh:

HATER IN THE HOUSE!!!! :chuckle:

Have some Haterade!! :chug:

X-Terminator
12-20-2009, 12:43 AM

Have you been reading this board over the past 2-3 seasons? If you have, then you would know exactly why this sentiment exists. It has nothing to do with people not thinking Arians is the right man for the OC job. It has EVERYTHING to do with him being blamed for everything under the sun, such as my favorite - blaming him for the defense not being able to hold leads late in games. If you want to criticize him for his marriage to the empty set or his playcalling in the red zone/3rd and short...that's fine. Blaming him for the defense's problems? Ridiculous. This has been explained to you and everyone else who has raised this question time and time again, but it continues to be overlooked. The bottom line is that EVERYONE shares in the blame for this debacle, and no one person deserves all of it. But that's not how it works in The Nation, unfortunately.

Preacher
12-20-2009, 12:46 AM

Oh I don't know. Have you found any and every reason to rip on him? Is nothing Arians does good enough for you? If I were to go back and look at your posts since you signed up... would I find ANYTHING that you said which was supportive or positive, or did you choose ONLY to see the negative?

If your answer is yes... then Hater applies to you. If not, then hater doesn't apply.

No need to get ugly about it.

Gnutella
12-20-2009, 03:25 AM
I first remember criticizing Bruce Arians following our playoff loss to Jacksonville, when he had Ben Roethlisberger run a QB sweep on third-and-long. I thought that was the wrong call to make in such a situation, especially since the only way they were moving the ball was through the air. This poor decision indirectly led to the Steelers losing the game.

The following season is when I officially became an Arians skeptic. The complete lack of adjustment during the human sacrifice in Philadelphia is what made me lose trust in him. I don't remember seeing any draw plays or screen passes in that game, and I only remember one play-action pass. That won't cut it against a blitz-happy defense that's killing your offensive line and your QB. Furthermore, the contrast in efficiency and productivity between his play-calling and Roethlisberger's -- in favor of Roethlisberger's -- became increasingly evident as the season progressed.

This season, I think he's done a better job than he did last season, and he's even called a couple of good games. The problem is, we need more than just a couple of good games from him, and the bad still outweighs the good. Furthermore, his situational play-calling is among the worst I've seen as a Steeler fan. The game against the Browns reminded me too much of the game Mike Mularkey called in 2003 against the Jets (38 pass attempts in a blizzard!).

I'm not letting the players off the hook either; the WRs haven't been consistent, Rashard Mendenhall still doesn't demonstrate the kind of ball security that I want from a RB, and Roethlisberger needs to kick his one-INT-per game habit. Also, the special teams usually leaves the offense with a very long field, which I think explains part of the disparity between yards per game and points per game. It's harder to put together an 85-yard scoring drive than it is a 70-yard scoring drive.

Be all that as it may, I'm still not convinced that Arians is putting the offense in the best position to succeed, especially given the talent the unit has. He's done less with more. Between this and a relationship with Roethlisberger that Jim Wexell has called "codependent," a change has to happen -- and since Roethlisberger is the long-term franchise QB, Arians must either have his influence reduced, or terminated altogether.

Our offense has gone from one extreme to the other. We used to have an unhealthy bias toward the run, and now we have an unhealthy bias toward the pass. I understand that Roethlisberger doesn't want to play such a limited role in the offense, only throwing 20 to 25 times per game, and I agree with that. However, I don't want him throwing 35 to 40 times per game either, especially when we don't have to. No QB should have to throw that often regardless of how good he is. Even Drew Brees, as good as he is, has a career record of 2-18 when throwing the ball 40 or more times.

What I want is for a truly BALANCED offense. That means 25 to 35 runs per game, and 25 to 35 passes per game.

zulater
12-20-2009, 06:08 AM
Oh I don't know. Have you found any and every reason to rip on him? Is nothing Arians does good enough for you? If I were to go back and look at your posts since you signed up... would I find ANYTHING that you said which was supportive or positive, or did you choose ONLY to see the negative?

If your answer is yes... then Hater applies to you. If not, then hater doesn't apply.

No need to get ugly about it.

http://draftsteel.com/ff/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5763

You tell me. :coffee:

Texasteel
12-20-2009, 06:45 AM

This is the same person that complained about being talked down to in another thread. Maybe your snarky just because that is your personality.

Everyone here has a right to their opinion, That even includes HTG, Preacher, and my self. Mine is the BA has done a good job at times and a bad job at times, just like every other coach. He is not the best there is at what he does, but does not deserve the beating he normally gets. I also believe that there are some here that bad mouth him mostly because they don't like him, and take every opportunity to blame him for all the problems with this team, yes including the defensive collapse.

Don't know if your one of those or not, but that could be called a hater.

HometownGal
12-20-2009, 08:47 AM

All I can say here, zu, is if the shoe fits - wear it. :drink:

P.S. I wasn't just referring to the hate on Arians. You obviously missed the part of my post where I said:

the haters will find someone else to hate on, even if the Steelers finish undefeated next season, win the division and conference titles and the Super Bowl. I read enough hate around here after the Steelers won last year's big game to support my opinion on that.

If you would have been here last season after we won the Super Bowl, you'd understand why I feel the way I do.

steelpride12
12-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I agree with Tex. I mean how can you honestly jump all over BA and blame him for the Steelers being 6 and 7. He is not the one controlling the defense and special teams. He is not out on the field receiving the calls and executing.
Its true he has plenty to blame for the offensive troubles, but that is a minor detail to the mess this whole team has been dealing with this bottom half of the season.

Rick5895
12-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Funny how Bob wants to pull out stats to prove his point and I applaud him for that. So I am just curious if Bob decided to check out where the Steelers currently rank for scoring offense. I will give you a hint Bob and it's not in the top ten. As of today we rank #16. I could be totally wrong, but if you have a top ten offense shouldn't you also be in the top ten for scoring if your offense is truly that good?

This team has a few problems that need to be worked out and yes that does include Bruce Arians. The defense, special teams and offense can all be blamed for our 7 losses this season. I can't wait to see how Bruce Arians and the offense attack the #2 ranked defense in the Packers tomorrow.

Absolutely right on the mark here.
I have said this before, Srians does a great job between the 20's, but he is really suspect inside the redzone, which is reflected in our points output. The last half of the season we have just not scored in the red zone. Even though the D really sh** the bed against Oakland, 3 red zone trips 3 points in the first half, ridiculas, this all being said this is a total team collapse, not just O D or specials.
We have had injuries on D, but the ST and O haven't,. I for one wold like to see Arians back, in a capacity other than OC. IMO

stillers4me
12-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Absolutely right on the mark here.
I have said this before, Srians does a great job between the 20's, but he is really suspect inside the redzone, which is reflected in our points output. The last half of the season we have just not scored in the red zone. Even though the D really sh** the bed against Oakland, 3 red zone trips 3 points in the first half, ridiculas, this all being said this is a total team collapse, not just O D or specials.
We have had injuries on D, but the ST and O haven't,. I for one wold like to see Arians back, in a capacity other than OC. IMO

The redzone problem with Arian's offense is nothing new.

We wouldn't even have sniffed the playoffs (or won a superbowl) last year without defensive turnovers or Ben's last minute heroics. We left way too many points on the field.

Rockonsteel
12-20-2009, 11:12 AM

We wouldn't even have sniffed the playoffs (or won a superbowl) last year without defensive turnovers or Ben's last minute heroics. We left way too many points on the field.

Exactly. The offense puts way too much pressure on the defense. When you leave as many points on the field early in games as they do, you end up in position where fourth quarter drives by the other team can kill you. As, previously stated, if the offense score more than three points in three red zone attempts in the first half against the Raiders, that fourth quarter collapse never happens. That game is a blowout and the Raiders never build the confidence and belief necessary to win a game like that. And the performance against the Browns? Is pathetic a strong enough word? Probably not, but we'll go with it. I think the very definition of pathetic just got defended.

zulater
12-20-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree with Tex. I mean how can you honestly jump all over BA and blame him for the Steelers being 6 and 7. He is not the one controlling the defense and special teams. He is not out on the field receiving the calls and executing.
Its true he has plenty to blame for the offensive troubles, but that is a minor detail to the mess this whole team has been dealing with this bottom half of the season.

I don't blame him for 6-7. I just don't think he's much more than average at his job ( at best) and I want excellent.

zulater
12-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Arains lost me on first and goal at the Chiefs 9 when he came out empty back set. The resulting interception turned that game and season on it's head. Ben got hit as he released the ball, you needlessly telegraphed you play selection. That was it for me ever defending Bruce Arains again.

Texasteel
12-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Exactly. The offense puts way too much pressure on the defense. When you leave as many points on the field early in games as they do, you end up in position where fourth quarter drives by the other team can kill you. As, previously stated, if the offense score more than three points in three red zone attempts in the first half against the Raiders, that fourth quarter collapse never happens. That game is a blowout and the Raiders never build the confidence and belief necessary to win a game like that. And the performance against the Browns? Is pathetic a strong enough word? Probably not, but we'll go with it. I think the very definition of pathetic just got defended.

The defense puts way to much pressure on the offense when they know they are going to give up points in the 4th qu. I don't beleive that statment or the one you made. This is still a team sport and the defense IMO has been doing a worse job than the offense has, even though I am not that happy with the offense at times. Plus if you are going to blame BA for points left on the field you need to look at how they were left. Ints. fumbles and pass plays the work very well but the receiver just dropped the ball. BA shares in the blame, but it is just unfair to point at him and say "He is the reason we didn't score. He is the reason we are not winning."

The team is not playing well, coaches and player, and that is why we are not winning. Lets change that today guys.

Rockonsteel
12-20-2009, 12:10 PM
The defense puts way to much pressure on the offense when they know they are going to give up points in the 4th qu. I don't beleive that statment or the one you made. This is still a team sport and the defense IMO has been doing a worse job than the offense has, even though I am not that happy with the offense at times. Plus if you are going to blame BA for points left on the field you need to look at how they were left. Ints. fumbles and pass plays the work very well but the receiver just dropped the ball. BA shares in the blame, but it is just unfair to point at him and say "He is the reason we didn't score. He is the reason we are not winning."

The team is not playing well, coaches and player, and that is why we are not winning. Lets change that today guys.

Let me ask you this. And this is for the others who see fit to defend Bruce Arians, as well.

Do you believe that there needs to be a change in offensive philosophy?

Or do you think this is the best scheme/system for the personnel on this team?

And, if you think a change is needed, do you believe that change in philosophy can be made without changing the person implementing said philosophy?

4xSBChamps
12-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Tired of seeing empty backfield when you are facing some of the worst rush defenses in the league.

3rd and 1 in a shotgun formation not once twice???

..... not-necessarily aimed at Arians in particular, and more of an in-general observation, but 'what-the-HELL has happened to the game I grew-up with?'

b6cCXNBeVfc

"Football is first and foremost a running game.

That will never change"

~ Vince Lombardi ~

LVSteelersfan
12-20-2009, 12:45 PM
I still don't hate Arians but his red zone calls are unebelievable almost all the time. How many times have we either lost the ball down there, missed a 4th and 1 or kicked a field goal this season instead of scoring a TD? Sorry, but that empty backfield set is stupid, stupid, stupid. Ben gets sacked at what seems like more than 50% of the time on that set alone. And if he doesn't get sacked, he gets hit and it ends up as an INT in the end zone. Put a darn blocker back there PLEASE. There is no way anyone can defend Arians on his red zone calls. The defense has pretty much stunk up the field, but they have reasons with Aaron Smith and Polomolu out most of the season. Stupid Madden game. The offense has no reason to not have won at least 5 of those six games with the amount of times they have been in the red zone and failed. And yes, a field goal is a failure. Good teams score TDs when they get down there.

zulater
12-20-2009, 12:59 PM
This is the same person that complained about being talked down to in another thread. Maybe your snarky just because that is your personality.

Everyone here has a right to their opinion, That even includes HTG, Preacher, and my self. Mine is the BA has done a good job at times and a bad job at times, just like every other coach. He is not the best there is at what he does, but does not deserve the beating he normally gets. I also believe that there are some here that bad mouth him mostly because they don't like him, and take every opportunity to blame him for all the problems with this team, yes including the defensive collapse.

Don't know if your one of those or not, but that could be called a hater.

Did you even bother to look at the link I provided? :shake01:

I've more than given Arains the benifit of the doubt. But as I said before the final straw was empty back set on first and goal from the Chiefs 9. Like Elin with Tiger, at some point you say enough already and walk away from the situation asap. Now obviously I don't have the power to make any determiniation on Arains fate. And if the Steelers retain Bruce 'll be dissapointed but hope that enough fear was intstilled in him that he'll do a better job next year. In fact I'll even say this. If the Steelers can eliminate the mental errors offensively the next 3 weeks, i.e. unaccounted for blitzers, refrain from running empty back sets in unneccessary situations et al... Then I'll tell you what I wont say a word against the guy all offseason on this site. :hatsoff:

zulater
12-20-2009, 01:02 PM

The lack of defensive turnovers more than anything else is whats done in the Steelers this season.

tony hipchest
12-20-2009, 01:14 PM
i dont think anyone is really denying that it has been a team effort in losing, but at this point arians playcalling appears and lack of situational football awareness seems to be the weakest link.

troy and smith will be back next year for the defense.

special teams have already been addressed with a myriad of personel changes (i expect ligashesky to be fired).

well.... that leaves arians as the weakest link. :hunch: not to say he is horrible, we just need to explore every opportunity to upgrade and constantly evolve and get better. our offense has devolved as the year went on.

6 points vs. the browns. :doh:

Texasteel
12-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Did you even bother to look at the link I provided? :shake01:

I've more than given Arains the benifit of the doubt. But as I said before the final straw was empty back set on first and goal from the Chiefs 9. Like Elin with Tiger, at some point you say enough already and walk away from the situation asap. Now obviously I don't have the power to make any determiniation on Arains fate. And if the Steelers retain Bruce 'll be dissapointed but hope that enough fear was intstilled in him that he'll do a better job next year. In fact I'll even say this. If the Steelers can eliminate the mental errors offensively the next 3 weeks, i.e. unaccounted for blitzers, refrain from running empty back sets in unneccessary situations et al... Then I'll tell you what I wont say a word against the guy all offseason on this site. :hatsoff:

I don't know what your link has to do with what I posted, it seems you just want a chance to talk down to someone else.:shake01:

The one thing we can agree on is that if BA stays or gos, we both hope for the best in the future. I believe next year will be better either way.

WH
12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't know what your link has to do with what I posted, it seems you just want a chance to talk down to someone else.:shake01:

The one thing we can agree on is that if BA stays or gos, we both hope for the best in the future. I believe next year will be better either way.

Read that thread, look for Zulater and what he said in regards to Bruce Arians as OC. He gave him a B.

It's in retort to HTG saying if he did nothing but hate all season he was a hater.

by posting that link from a different board, from weeks ago, where he gave Bruce a B grade in his opinion, is trying to illustrate that he's not just hating to witch hunt. He's calling a spade a spade.
:drink:

zulater
12-20-2009, 01:45 PM
How in the world am I talking down to you tex?

Now here's the link I provided earlair. I post under the same name there as here. Now explain how I'm an Arains hater? Doubting after time that someone is the right man for the job is not hate, it's objective opinion. Now that doesn't mean you have to agree with it. But I've already explained where and why Arains lost me.

My only problem with anyone who disagrees with me is when they label me with dismissive words such as hater. To me that comes across as if my opinion was formed on malice and without forethought. Which I strongly disagree with and can factually prove otherwise.

Texasteel
12-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Let me ask you this. And this is for the others who see fit to defend Bruce Arians, as well.

Do you believe that there needs to be a change in offensive philosophy?

Or do you think this is the best scheme/system for the personnel on this team?

And, if you think a change is needed, do you believe that change in philosophy can be made without changing the person implementing said philosophy?

I would like to see the game plan tweaked a bit. I was yelling at the TV when we went to the pass on 3rd and 1 just like everyone else, but I also know that this league, has be slanted toward the pass the last few years. I also know that no game plan can work without the execution of the players. We have a A-1 QB the has been stopping drives with ints, and receivers that have been doing the same thing by dropping easy catches. I am also not buying the argument that the offense has been putting to much pressure on the defense or that the defense has been on the field to long. If your asking me if I think BA has made mistake, yes I do. The thought he did a poor job in the KC game and the Browns game was horrid. If your asking me if I think we can win with him as our OC the answer is still yes. If he gos or stays this is still a winning team, and they will be back next year.

I just simply will not white wash the rest of the team with the "It all Arians fault."

WH
12-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Can you really blame people that complain about Bruce Arians in a ''Complain about Bruce Arians'' thread? I mean, if you make a ''I hate William Gay'' or ''Ike is terrible'' thread, I'd be more than happy to come and talk about them......it's just no one is creating those threads. Bruce Arians threads are like Hanson....very popular for a short amount of time......

Texasteel
12-20-2009, 02:11 PM
How in the world am I talking down to you tex?

Now here's the link I provided earlair. I post under the same name there as here. Now explain how I'm an Arains hater? Doubting after time that someone is the right man for the job is not hate, it's objective opinion. Now that doesn't mean you have to agree with it. But I've already explained where and why Arains lost me.

My only problem with anyone who disagrees with me is when they label me with dismissive words such as hater. To me that comes across as if my opinion was formed on malice and without forethought. Which I strongly disagree with and can factually prove otherwise.

Did you even bother to read the link I provided.:shake01:

That is condescending and I believe was meant to be.

If you finish reading my post I said I don't know if you are a hater or not. Thats not for me to say. I will tell you that I believe there are some here that have made their decisions out of malice for the guy. I have read post that you can sense the happiness when things go bad just so they can hammer on BA some more. I again am not saying that is you. I hope it isn't.

Although I think BA may be a little better that average, I can understand the desire for excellence.

Rockonsteel
12-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I would like to see the game plan tweaked a bit. I was yelling at the TV when we went to the pass on 3rd and 1 just like everyone else, but I also know that this league, has be slanted toward the pass the last few years. I also know that no game plan can work without the execution of the players. We have a A-1 QB the has been stopping drives with ints, and receivers that have been doing the same thing by dropping easy catches. I am also not buying the argument that the offense has been putting to much pressure on the defense or that the defense has been on the field to long. If your asking me if I think BA has made mistake, yes I do. The thought he did a poor job in the KC game and the Browns game was horrid. If your asking me if I think we can win with him as our OC the answer is still yes. If he gos or stays this is still a winning team, and they will be back next year.

I just simply will not white wash the rest of the team with the "It all Arians fault."

I hear ya. I just don't think the guy is very good at his job at all. I never have. I was disappointed when he got the job, and he has done little to change my mind. I would like to see an upgrade. I think this team needs an upgrade, someone who can actually maximize the talent in this offense instead of handicapping it with a philosophy that de-empahsizes the running game, has no place for a FB and is constantly in shotgun, 5 wide on 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2.

And as far as the team winning the SB last year...how many of those big plays and last minute comebacks were the result of the play breaking down,and Ben doing his magic, as opposed to the results of some brilliant play design by Arians? The large majority, including said SB. The talent on this offense seriously masks Arians deficiencies as a playcaller and gameplanner.

zulater
12-20-2009, 02:40 PM
:pissed:Did you even bother to read the link I provided.:shake01:

That is condescending and I believe was meant to be.

If you finish reading my post I said I don't know if you are a hater or not. Thats not for me to say. I will tell you that I believe there are some here that have made their decisions out of malice for the guy. I have read post that you can sense the happiness when things go bad just so they can hammer on BA some more. I again am not saying that is you. I hope it isn't.

Although I think BA may be a little better that average, I can understand the desire for excellence.

Tex, that was not meant to be condensending. I was just trying to show you with posts that were made months ago that I've tried to b e supportive of Arains in the past. There was no rush to judgement on my part.

As far as whitewashing the rest of the team, I've even said on this thread the single biggest factor in the Steelers demise is the lack of forced turnovers by the defense. 8 interceptions ( 3 by Troy) is absolutley pathetic.

Texasteel
12-20-2009, 03:02 PM
:pissed:

Tex, that was not meant to be condensending. I was just trying to show you with posts that were made months ago that I've tried to b e supportive of Arains in the past. There was no rush to judgement on my part.

As far as whitewashing the rest of the team, I've even said on this thread the single biggest factor in the Steelers demise is the lack of forced turnovers by the defense. 8 interceptions ( 3 by Troy) is absolutley pathetic.

Don't forget that absence of Smith. That seems to have be lost in the loss of Troy, and I think is just as big of a factor. Hopefully if anything good comes of this it will be bringing Hood up to speed a little quicker.

zulater
12-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Don't forget that absence of Smith. That seems to have be lost in the loss of Troy, and I think is just as big of a factor. Hopefully if anything good comes of this it will be bringing Hood up to speed a little quicker.

Oh no question there. The defense may have lost it's two most important players in Aaron and Troy. ( sorry Lamar and James) :wink02: That's why it was so important for the offense to take it's game to higher level this year.