PDA

View Full Version : Was Hood the wrong pick?

Steel Glory
12-19-2009, 01:20 AM
I know we picked Hood last year in the first round, but he wasn't even on my radar for the Steelers pick. I would have much rather seen an ILB like Lauranitis or Mauluga at their pick. Would you agree? :noidea:

Aussie_steeler
12-19-2009, 01:48 AM
He probably was the BPA. Mauluga's profile just doesnt fit the steelers desired qualities.

If we could jump in that magic time machine I would probably trade back and pick up Phil Loadholt OT and Sean Smith CB / FS.

supa_fly_steeler
12-19-2009, 06:52 AM
I would rather pick someone like rolando mcclain, brandon spikes or micah johnson this year, than to someone like maulauaga :P

revefsreleets
12-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Careful....I was told Laurinaitis was overrated, and possibly even a bust.

I'd sure love to have his 104 tackles (an AMAZING NINETY ONE of which are solos), 1 sack, and 2 picks right now.

But Hood may turn out okay....we'll need an ILB soon, so it's one of those waiting games to see who we get and how they compare...

BehindSteelCurtain
12-20-2009, 06:58 PM
I would rather pick someone like rolando mcclain, brandon spikes or micah johnson this year, than to someone like maulauaga :P

I'd really like McClain this year. As for Hood, give him time. He could be a franchise 3-4 DE for the next 10 years like Smith.

Steely McSmash
12-20-2009, 09:29 PM
My guess is that in few years Hood will be good but probably not ridiculously so. Considering the time needed for DL guys to get up to speed, I think it's a sound decision still considering the age of the DLine. He might end up playing at NT in years to come

In retrospect considering our needs now that we didn't know then, I'd say these guys would have been great:

Louis Delmas, FS
Patrick Chung, SS
James Laurinitis, ILB
Jairus Byrd, CB

Eben Britton has turned out well. He probably would have been my pick at the time.

Sean Smith and Will Beatty turned out to be great values late in the second.

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2009, 10:18 PM

I'd sure love to have his 104 tackles (an AMAZING NINETY ONE of which are solos), 1 sack, and 2 picks right now.

But Hood may turn out okay....we'll need an ILB soon, so it's one of those waiting games to see who we get and how they compare...

He is now playing in a 4-3 at MLB. I cant remember the scouting reports but wasnt he really projected as more suited to the 4-3. Still though he would have been a more than suitable fit in the 3-4.

We have passed on some good ILB's in the past two drafts....... Laurinaitis, Mauluga, Pozluzny, Lofton, Dan Connor so when we get our next one he'd better be a purpose built inside line backer built for the blitzburg 3-4 and not another Timmons clone

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 10:31 AM

Who said that? Links please or it didn't happen.

Do I think Laurinaitus is a good player? Yep. Do I think the need of a Dlineman was more important in last years draft versus a LB? Absolutely. So if you were referring to our conversation in the gameday thread, let's try and keep it in context mmmkay. If you weren't, then so be it.

Dylan
12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Don't judge hood to quickly...for one this rookie class has been really productive, so in retrospect hood is actually doing a decent job but is being outshadowed by others...mike wallace for example.....last year hood would be considered amazing compared to those picks. mendenhall didnt do anything his first year and look at him now

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Who said that? Links please or it didn't happen.

Do I think Laurinaitus is a good player? Yep. Do I think the need of a Dlineman was more important in last years draft versus a LB? Absolutely. So if you were referring to our conversation in the gameday thread, let's try and keep it in context mmmkay. If you weren't, then so be it.

Please....there are a lot more people than just YOU posting on this board. It's one thing to get your skirt in a bunch because you're sensitive to criticism, it's quite another to launch a vendetta against my every post just because you don't like being called out.

There were PLENTY of people who flat out stated that Lil Animal sucks. There is massive anti-OSU sentiment on this board, and plenty of people who let their emotions cloud all logic, even when doing so flies in the face of all reason and empirical data. You're coming close to lumping yourself in with them...

SteelMember
12-22-2009, 11:20 AM
There were PLENTY of people who flat out stated that Lil Animal sucks. There is massive anti-OSU sentiment on this board, and plenty of people who let their emotions cloud all logic, even when doing so flies in the face of all reason and empirical data. You're coming close to lumping yourself in with them...

I don't remember that.

What I do remember is that you guaranteed that he would be a first round pick, and you had to eat your hat on it.

Figuratively, I suppose because I never got to see the video. :flap:

:hatsoff:

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 11:32 AM

Links?

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Links?

No thanks....you're welcome to look them up yourself though. I know it's harder to actually do a little legwork than to just blindly toss out insults because someone called you out on some bullshit, but sometimes life is rough like that.

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
No thanks....you're welcome to look them up yourself though. I know it's harder to actually do a little legwork than to just blindly toss out insults because someone called you out on some bullshit, but sometimes life is rough like that.

Hahaha, you're the one making the claim that people were dissing on your lil' animal. So either provide proof of this claim or stop running your mouth. :blah::blah:

And what is the BS you supposedly called me out on?:noidea:

Just in case you forgot. Here are your words Einstein

steelcity1974
12-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Everything is easier in hindsight, and not to say that Hood won't become a stud...but...how cool would it be to have fat Troy (Rey Maualuga) out there with Troy? Considering the way Farrior is playing this year, that might have been a good pick.

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Hahaha, you're the one making the claim that people were dissing on your lil' animal. So either provide proof of this claim or stop running your mouth. :blah::blah:

And what is the BS you supposedly called me out on?:noidea:

Just in case you forgot. Here are your words Einstein

You're VERY sensitive aren't you....all because I had the temerity to publicly disagree with you when you were wrong.

LOL...well, whatever....carry on...

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 04:07 PM
You're VERY sensitive aren't you....all because I had the temerity to publicly disagree with you when you were wrong.

LOL...well, whatever....carry on...

Deflection. Provide links or shut up.

Aussie_steeler
12-22-2009, 04:16 PM
The more I think about the Ziggy Hood pick the more I start to wonder about the real intentions.

The steelers never draft a DE in the first round. They only ever like to spend first round picks on NT's ( Casey Hampton)

Chris Hoke is a stout 6'2 305 and strong as an ox.
Casey was drafted at around 6'1 310 if I remember correctly

I am starting to believe that Ziggy is our next NT once Casey leaves ( via free agency this year or retires at the end of his next contract)

Ziggy is strong, fast and obviously can carry a little more weight on that frame. He has a high work rate and will do anything for the team.

He may just be our NT of the future. If not, worst case scenario is that he makes on helluva DE.

tony hipchest
12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Links?he wont attempt to post links to his make believe and lies and longer. the last time he tried, he was further exposed as a liar.

fwiw, i am certain that had hood not fell into our lap, lebeau woulda been true to his word and the steelers wouldve selected lil animal (and i woulda loved the selection), but in no way would he be seeing 91 solo tackles in the steelers defense. theres a reason he starts for the rams. they suck. its a far cry starting for the steelers.

but as aussi stated, we have passed on a multitude of ilb's who have slipped into the 2nd round in recent years. many wanted the steelers to take paul poz at 16.

i believe our resident expert revs initially stated that james wouldnt fall past detroit or san diego in the early 20's, and i too, am wondering how that crow flavored hat tastes. :hatsoff:

hood was simply too valuable to pass on, and i have no buyers remorse. im sure he would be starting and kicking ass for the rams too.

BKAnthem
12-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I wanted to see an O lineman taken....a guard and Tackle..they could have had Britton or Loadholt and Caldwell...instead we have Kris Farris Jr. a 3 rounder getting passed over by a free agent....

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 10:22 PM
he wont attempt to post links to his make believe and lies and longer. the last time he tried, he was further exposed as a liar.

fwiw, i am certain that had hood not fell into our lap, lebeau woulda been true to his word and the steelers wouldve selected lil animal (and i woulda loved the selection), but in no way would he be seeing 91 solo tackles in the steelers defense. theres a reason he starts for the rams. they suck. its a far cry starting for the steelers.

but as aussi stated, we have passed on a multitude of ilb's who have slipped into the 2nd round in recent years. many wanted the steelers to take paul poz at 16.

i believe our resident expert revs initially stated that james wouldnt fall past detroit or san diego in the early 20's, and i too, am wondering how that crow flavored hat tastes. :hatsoff:

hood was simply too valuable to pass on, and i have no buyers remorse. im sure he would be starting and kicking ass for the rams too.

I agree. Hood was the best pick in our position.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Alright being called a liar by a liar, and a bullshitter by a bullshitter is too much. This is all in the War Room. I could find more, but why? This little bit proves my point, and ONCE AGAIN, Tony is shown to be talking out his ass, and now his little buddy 43 is along for the ride.

Away we go:

4/18/09 Psychoward- Ha, if we always drafted for our needs, this team would suck. Luckily our FO is smarter than that. Laurinatis does show some signs of being a bust at the next level,

4/20/09 Steel Head (no shock here, one of the most idiotic posters EVER)- smoke screen

Laurinaitis sucks

More from this brainiac, same day- no, just watched him enough to see how overrated he is

taking him at #32 would be a huge reach and he won't last to #64 so I'm not worried at all that the Steelers will make the mistake of drafting him

Atlsteelsr- 4/21
As tomlin would say
“That boy’s as ordinary as a bowl of grits,”

Can't wait to hear the crying and bitching and whining THIS will generate...

43Hitman
12-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Sounds like your getting you're feelings hurt over someone else's opinion, which I find very ironic. Lighten up Francis! Also if you actually read my posts, you would read that I never dissed your love child lil' animal. I said that Hood was the better pick for the TEAM, at our current position. It only took two days of me calling you out before you actually referenced posts, although I still see no links, so you could be just making this up.

P.S. You're the only one crying and bitching about lil' animal.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Sounds like your getting you're feelings hurt over someone else's opinion, which I find very ironic. Lighten up Francis! Also if you actually read my posts, you would read that I never dissed your love child lil' animal. I said that Hood was the better pick for the TEAM, at our current position. It only took two days of me calling you out before you actually referenced posts, although I still see no links, so you could be just making this up.

P.S. You're the only one crying and bitching about lil' animal.

Yeah, I'm making it all up.

You wanted examples of people saying the guy sucked, and I gave examples. As with everything I post, I'll back it up, just like I did here.

That's the difference between pulling garbage out of your ass and actually knowing what the eff you're talking about...

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I wanted to see an O lineman taken....a guard and Tackle..they could have had Britton or Loadholt and Caldwell...instead we have Kris Farris Jr. a 3 rounder getting passed over by a free agent....

Steelers would have had to spend a 1st round pick on any of those 3 guys (Loadholt, Britton or Caldwell) as they were all gone by the Steelers 2nd round pick. Advocating taking a RT or the 5th best interior lineman with the #32 pick isnt the best thing IMO.

The real thing to have wanted if you coveted an O lineman, was trading up to get Michael Oher when he slid beyond pick #20.

As for Laurinitis(sp) I said he reminded me of Posluzny and would be a high 2nd round pick(where I think he went), while others thought he was a top 20 pick and would eat their hat if he was there at #32.

Others reportedly said Dick Lebeau told James that he would select him if he was there at #32......I guess coach dad was misquoted.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Steelers would have had to spend a 1st round pick on any of those 3 guys (Loadholt, Britton or Caldwell) as they were all gone by the Steelers 2nd round pick. Advocating taking a RT or the 5th best interior lineman with the #32 pick isnt the best thing IMO.

The real thing to have wanted if you coveted an O lineman, was trading up to get Michael Oher when he slid beyond pick #20.

As for Laurinitis(sp) I said he reminded me of Posluzny and would be a high 2nd round pick(where I think he went), while others thought he was a top 20 pick and would eat their hat if he was there at #32.

Others reportedly said Dick Lebeau told James that he would select him if he was there at #32......I guess coach dad was misquoted.

Imagine that! The resident of the SF braintrust attempting (lamely) to insult me again. Shocking!

The dude has been an absolute stud. He's in the top 10 in tackles, tied for 3rd for solo's as a rook. He plays for a bad team, otherwise we'd be hearing a lot more about him. He's also statistically blowing away Maualuga, the board braintrust's concensus best ILB in last years draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Imagine that! The resident of the SF braintrust attempting (lamely) to insult me again. Shocking!

You insult yourself in almost every post you make.

Originally Posted by revefsreleets
He(Laurinaitis) won't be there...I already said I'd eat my hat if he lasts that long.

Quote:

But he'll be gone by 20 or so anyway...

Quote:Originally Posted by revefsreleets

The Rams got one helluva steal for Lil Animal at 35...and I bet that he has a much more storied career than either Matthews or Cushing, both of whom are not nearly as complete a LB as Laurinaitis.

Marcus Freemen can play in and out. He's a stud...love to have him, but he'll be gone by 64 (and James Farrior, God love him, can't play forever).

It's Donald Washington, and I'm thinking more as #64 at the end of rd 2. He won't be there in the 3rd

43Hitman
12-23-2009, 12:29 PM
The true beauty of all this is it's now here, in black and white, and we can all not only watch Laurinaitis get drafted in the 1st round, but also watch and track his NFL career...so I'll be proven right over time...

Wrong.

He won't be there...I already said I'd eat my hat if he lasts that long.

How did that hat taste? Was it an OSU hat? Or was it a homer hat?

But that's not the "Steeler Way". They'll go BPA and if he's there at 32, he's definitely BPA. Besides, Foote will be gone next year, and Farrior is no spring chicken, so there's a need there sooner rather than a lot later.

More fail..I can go on and on, but I think the writing is on the wall.err in your posts. You really should stop, you're starting to embarrass yourself. Maybe if you change your name back to Suit, no one will notice.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 12:35 PM
You insult yourself in almost every post you make.

He(Laurinaitis) won't be there...I already said I'd eat my hat if he lasts that long.

Quote:

The Rams got one helluva steal for Lil Animal at 35...and I bet that he has a much more storied career than either Matthews or Cushing, both of whom are not nearly as complete a LB as Laurinaitis.

Marcus Freemen can play in and out. He's a stud...love to have him, but he'll be gone by 64 (and James Farrior, God love him, can't play forever).

It's Donald Washington, and I'm thinking more as #64 at the end of rd 2. He won't be there in the 3rd
Do you REALLY want to play this game? NOBODY on this board has posted more draft prognosis than you. I'm sure it would take only a few cursory looks for me to find plenty of material you've posted that has been flat-out wrong.

LOL at myself, though, for the Freeman and Washington posts...my over-exuberance towards my Buckeyes DOES sometimes cloud my judgment. And I'll openly admit as much. I also admitted I was wrong about Laurinaitis. You should try it sometimes...it's good for the soul to own up to your own mistakes.

By the by, even though my prognostications were VERY early on, I wasn't horrifically off on Freeman or Washington. Washington was KC's 2nd pick in last years draft, very early in the 4th Rd, and Freeman was the Bears pick in the 5th.

Not sure how that amounts to insulting myself. And thanks for being so predictable...it's like you're literally falling all over yourself to find things to bash me over the head with.

Hmmmm. Mustv'e struck a nerve, huh?:rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Revs, I have openly admitted that I was wrong about several draft picks. I never thought the Chris Johnson was gonna be a guy that can run between the tackles, I thought Duke Robinson was going to be a 2nd round pick at OG, I thought Javon Kearse was gonna be a tweener bust like Huey Richardson.

But, I dont make such concrete statements the way you did about the draft position of OSU guys like Lauriniatis, Freeman, Washington with the promise of eating my hat....and bash USC LB's like Cushing, Matthews, Maualuga. Then you profess not to be a homer. :rolleyes: Face it, the Trojans owned your Bucks, so you got a hate on.....at least you dont have to play them in a bowl game this year.

J.L. is turning out to make all the tackles on a team without much of a defensive supporting cast, very much the way Posluzny was with Buffalo. I still think Hood was the best pick at #32 for the Steelers.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Revs, I have openly admitted that I was wrong about several draft picks. I never thought the Chris Johnson was gonna be a guy that can run between the tackles, I thought Duke Robinson was going to be a 2nd round pick at OG, I thought Javon Kearse was gonna be a tweener bust like Huey Richardson.

But, I dont make such concrete statements the way you did about the draft position of OSU guys like Lauriniatis, Freeman, Washington with the promise of eating my hat....and bash USC LB's like Cushing, Matthews, Maualuga. Then you profess not to be a homer. :rolleyes: Face it, the Trojans owned your Bucks, so you got a hate on.....at least you dont have to play them in a bowl game this year.

J.L. is turning out to make all the tackles on a team without much of a defensive supporting cast, very much the way Posluzny was with Buffalo. I still think Hood was the best pick at #32 for the Steelers.

Cushing and Matthews are OLB's, and we don't need OLB's. I was surprised by Cushing. Matthews is about what I said he was, a one-dimensional pass rusher. I think he has 40 tackles all year. Laurinaitis is and was an ILB. We NEED an ILB, and he's a damned good one. Hood will turn out to be a great pick-up, i'm sure, and that need was more immediate.

And STOP with claiming I hate players based on where they play in college! Somehow this POS argument has picked up steam simply by people who don't like me repeating it often. It's a garbage argument. One of my favorite Steelers is Troy Polamalu. HE played for USC. Another is James Harrison, who played at my alma maters arch-rival. You can't just make stuff up then later claim it's true simply because it's been repeated often. That's "Tony Logic", makes no sense, and the main part of the reason I ignore his posts now...

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Revs, are there any non-Steeler players that you like that went to USC, Michigan or Texas??? That may help refute the belief that you are a hater of those teams and their players.

MasterOfPuppets
12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
is freeman even still in the nfl ? he got cut from buffalo's practice squad ...:doh:

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Marcus Freeman is on the Texans PS, I think.

Michigan Players-
Jake Long
Anthony Carter

USC Players-
Ronnie Lott
Junior Seau
Marcus Allen
Bruce Matthews Sr.
Jack Del Rio

Texas Players-
Earl Campbell, one of my favorite RB's of all-time
Derrick Johnson, one of my favorite LB's of all time

Steel Glory
12-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Funny how my thread has kind of turned into a pissing match between you guys.

Anyways, I should have put on the front that in retrospect would you have picked someone that was available other than Hood, based on their play and production. I know I would rather have Jarius Byrd or Louis Delmas over Hood right now. Those ones are pretty obvious choices though :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Funny how my thread has kind of turned into a pissing match between you guys.

Anyways, I should have put on the front that in retrospect would you have picked someone that was available other than Hood, based on their play and production. I know I would rather have Jarius Byrd or Louis Delmas over Hood right now. Those ones are pretty obvious choices though :wink02:

Yeah, but the funny thing is that Mike Doss had a better rookie season than Troy Polamalu, but who would you rather have now?? I still stand behind the pick of Hood being better than say........Jarius Byrd, as it will be better in the long run.

revefsreleets
12-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Ironically, I never stated that I though Hood would be anything less than a great pick down the road for the Steelers.

Problem is, there is so much ANTI-OSU sentiment on this board, to the point where otherwise pretty sharp posters just start getting silly simply because they hate the success of the program, that it forces me to go too far the other way to compensate.

Laurinaitis, barring injury, will be good for a long, long time to come. He'd have been a fine pick had we selected him at 32, but we needed DL much worse. Because I said he should have gone top 20, and he didn't, it's turned into a whole "thing" about how he wasn't WORTH a top 20 pick, NOT because he wasn't, in reality (because he clearly was), but because I was the one who made the original prognostication.

This isn't abut what's ACTUALLY right or wrong, it's about a few people making sure they call out the fact that I was wrong, and banging me over the head with it...

43Hitman
12-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Ironically, I never stated that I though Hood would be anything less than a great pick down the road for the Steelers.

Problem is, there is so much ANTI-OSU sentiment on this board, to the point where otherwise pretty sharp posters just start getting silly simply because they hate the success of the program, that it forces me to go too far the other way to compensate.

Laurinaitis, barring injury, will be good for a long, long time to come. He'd have been a fine pick had we selected him at 32, but we needed DL much worse. Because I said he should have gone top 20, and he didn't, it's turned into a whole "thing" about how he wasn't WORTH a top 20 pick, NOT because he wasn't, in reality (because he clearly was), but because I was the one who made the original prognostication.

This isn't abut what's ACTUALLY right or wrong, it's about a few people making sure they call out the fact that I was wrong, and banging me over the head with it...

:toofunny::toofunny::rofl::rofl:

Sharkissle29
12-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Congratulations to Ziggy for his first EXCELLENT NFL game.

If the game today is any indication of what he will be in the future, i LOVE the pick.....love the motor

Steel Glory
12-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, after watching him play today he looked good. He is showing why he was picked. I'm starting to turn around on him.

JoeCool5
12-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Hood played well today but this was the first game he impressed in. Besides today, he's looked average.

Dylan
12-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Hood played well today but this was the first game he impressed in. Besides today, he's looked average.

well that is because, yesterdays game was the only game he got a decent amount of playing time....and he did it against a good baltimore oline, so give him some props

revefsreleets
12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
There is no doubt Hood is going to be a fine addition...I expect him to get better each game now...

He's going to make some mistakes here and there, though...

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-28-2009, 11:44 AM

Yes...Hood only looks good when he plays. :doh:

taztroy43
12-31-2009, 12:50 AM
He probably was the BPA. Mauluga's profile just doesnt fit the steelers desired qualities.

If we could jump in that magic time machine I would probably trade back and pick up Phil Loadholt OT and Sean Smith CB / FS.

I agree with you completely on the Sean Smith pick....I was pulling for him come draft day in the first round!!! Man I can't believe he went so low in the second....we actually had a chance to nab him but they(dolphins) picked him like two picks before ours(the steelers pick)!!!! Man he would of been way better than Gay.... Smith probably would of taken over for him mid season.....Gay should get demoted or even cut....He's the most obvious weakness on our defense!!!!!! I just got tired of him....i don't think he should be playing in the NFL....i apologize to all the Gay fans....but at least I'm being realistic about him!!!!!

St33lersguy
01-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Ziggy Hood was the right pick they needed a D-lineman and he played well, we'll see how this pans out. We can always get ourselves a LB this year anyway