PDA

View Full Version : Jamarcus Russell reaches new low

zulater
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8151007c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

( see item 6)

. Hitting a new low

Embattled Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell hit a new low last week when he came in for the injured Bruce Gradkowski and promptly got sacked six times in 22 pass plays. A sack every 3.6 pass attempts is a disgrace. One Redskins player told me last week that when Russell entered the game, the Raiders acted like they knew they didn't have a chance. Well, that message rang true with the front office and coaches, because, with Gradkowski still out, Charlie Frye gets the start this week over Russell. Frye has started two games since 2006. Russell is nearing the end of his Raiders career if he doesn't shape up soon

My god! You're the number 1 overall pick in the draft just 3 years back and Charlie effing Frye is starting over you?! :rofl:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Yep! Al Davis sure knows how to pick 'em.

Psyychoward86
12-19-2009, 03:02 PM
:finger:

fordfan485
12-19-2009, 03:25 PM
You know you would think that if they cant get a rookie salary system like the NBA they would at least put in some type of clause where if you suck as bad as Russel they would loose some money or at least make the contracts extremely incentive based. that way if the guy sucks you arnt paying him 32 million guaranteed to ride the bench.

steelreserve
12-19-2009, 04:20 PM
This is what happens when you make a guy the No. 1 pick basically because of one game in college. Nice job, Al.

Yeah, they do need to have some kind of rookie salary limit, because this way, if you have a top-five pick, you're basically stuck overpaying him no matter what you do. Something's wrong when rookies that haven't played a single game are suddenly the second or third highest-payed player in the entire league.

In the Raiders' case, though, I have no doubt that even if they did pas a rookie salary cap, Al Davis would still find a way to screw it up.

MasterOfPuppets
12-19-2009, 07:30 PM
i was shocked when they cut garcia ... :doh:

steelreserve
12-19-2009, 08:50 PM

I heard a big part of that decision was because Garcia was disgruntled. Disgruntled about the Raiders being pathetic and having a piss-poor attitude.

tony hipchest
12-19-2009, 09:44 PM
im certain this is a kirwan article as i heard the andre carter interview when he said this.

i had a horrible feeling before the steelers vs. raiders game, knowing we were robbed of the opportunity to tee off on russell. not horrible as in we would lose, but horrible as in i thought we would destroy them, give our defense some confidence, and have a 30 point win. with gradkowski i figured they may have a chance to keep it to a 14 point game and make it seem closer than it was.

I heard a big part of that decision was because Garcia was disgruntled. Disgruntled about the Raiders being pathetic and having a piss-poor attitude.
yeah, garcia pretty much told them he wasnt interested and they were better off releasing him.

"thanks, but no thanks"

if they had started garcia or gradkowski from the get go they would possibly be a mid pack team right with the steelers.

then again they passed on harvin and took heywood bay.

then again, they actually drafted JaMorca. what a mess. they coulda had leftwich as a FA.

Angus Burgher
12-20-2009, 11:41 PM
WHOA, JaMarcBust came in and won the game today for Oakland! Maybe he's finally turned the corner!

Nah, he still sucks. Still, it's good to know that we weren't the only ones to lose to Al Davis' insane asylum.

shinoff2183
12-21-2009, 12:54 AM
I think russel is just missing something, I dont know what it is, but I believe he can be a good QB it just seem something is missing.

XxKnightxX
12-21-2009, 01:02 AM
I think russel is just missing something, I dont know what it is, but I believe he can be a good QB it just seem something is missing.

Work ethic, coverage recognition, and accuracy in his throws,

Angus Burgher
12-21-2009, 01:06 AM
I was just going to say "talent" but yeah, that's a little bit more accurate.

silver & black
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
This is what happens when you make a guy the No. 1 pick basically because of one game in college. Nice job, Al.

Yeah, they do need to have some kind of rookie salary limit, because this way, if you have a top-five pick, you're basically stuck overpaying him no matter what you do. Something's wrong when rookies that haven't played a single game are suddenly the second or third highest-payed player in the entire league.

In the Raiders' case, though, I have no doubt that even if they did pas a rookie salary cap, Al Davis would still find a way to screw it up.

:iagree:

silver & black
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Garcia was NOT cut. He asked for his release.

silver & black
12-21-2009, 07:51 PM

Yeah... it's called heart... desire... work ethic. Screw Russell. He can't be off my team fast enough!

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah... it's called heart... desire... work ethic. Screw Russell. He can't be off my team fast enough!

He's a bigger bum than Ryan Leaf was. While I don't feel bad for Al Davis, I am a bit angry along with Raiders' fans that this kind of "hold-out, pay me so I can suck" crap can happen to a team.

AllD
12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
He got his upfront $ and he will be out of the NFL in two weeks. Nobody is going to pay him the $10 million on his contract for next season.

steelerdave1969
12-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Silver & Black.. what I like most about you is you give it to us straight from the heart my friend. I have a very good friend that liked the Russell pick when it was made.. I kept trying to tell him he was no good.. but did he listen?... nope... well he hates the guy now and wishes they would just cut him. Now I think we all know that would be kind of crazy cuz of all the Money they have involved in him. I think the Raiders have a great RB tandem IF they could get some Offensive Linemen to help them out. They even have some nice talent at WR, so what do they do next?.. well.. Its All up to Uncle Al Davis... and that is scary
Merry Christmas My Friend and God Bless

silver & black
12-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Silver & Black.. what I like most about you is you give it to us straight from the heart my friend. I have a very good friend that liked the Russell pick when it was made.. I kept trying to tell him he was no good.. but did he listen?... nope... well he hates the guy now and wishes they would just cut him. Now I think we all know that would be kind of crazy cuz of all the Money they have involved in him. I think the Raiders have a great RB tandem IF they could get some Offensive Linemen to help them out. They even have some nice talent at WR, so what do they do next?.. well.. Its All up to Uncle Al Davis... and that is scary
Merry Christmas My Friend and God Bless

I hated the pick from the start. I knew he would be a bust... there were too many red flags before he was ever drafted. As average as Gradkowski is, I wouldn't mind at all if he were the starting QB next season. I see nothing but upside with him. Losman might pan out too.

As far as the RB's... I'm not real keen on McFadden. I didn't hate the pick as much as the Russell pick, but I still didn't want him. He goes down way too easy, and he still fumbles way too much. He has great hands though... if they would just use him on screens and short dump passes, he could be dangerous. I'm just not sold on him as an honest to goodness RB in the NFL.

I hope Al drafts some O line help... and a real MLB... our LB's suck! There are so many things that need addressed on the Raiders that it will take at least 3 more drafts to fix it all... and that is only if Al can/Wwill pick FOOTBAL PLAYERS instead of track stars and athletic freaks.

You and your family have a great Christmas too... and may God bless you also.

MasterOfPuppets
12-22-2009, 05:56 PM
after that big comeback victory orchestrated by Jman himself...i'd say the raiduhs got big return on thier 72 mill....:chuckle:

silver & black
12-22-2009, 06:18 PM
after that big comeback victory orchestrated by Jman himself...i'd say the raiduhs got big return on thier 72 mill....:chuckle:

To tell you the truth, I almost wish we would have lost. JR winning that game just gave Al a reason to keep him... and that is not good! :banging:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-23-2009, 03:11 PM
So after Russel led the team to a comeback win, Cable says that if Frye can play Sunday he will start.

A big point of contention between Al Davis and Lane Kiffin was the fact that Kiffin didn't want JR as the pick and he didn't start him soon enough hos rookie year. I think Cable is trying to get fired by not playing JR, which is what Al Davis wants because of what he's being paid and where he was taken in the draft.

MasterOfPuppets
12-23-2009, 03:22 PM
To tell you the truth, I almost wish we would have lost. JR winning that game just gave Al a reason to keep him... and that is not good! :banging:
so do these wins buy cable another year ? i think so.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Go Charlie! Go Zips!
http://www.thephatphree.com/_photos/fear-the-roo-1024.jpg

His first game as a starter was a lot better than his last. He had a nice scamper for 26 yards.

silver & black
12-23-2009, 05:25 PM
so do these wins buy cable another year ? i think so.

I'd like to say I know the answer to that, but I don't.

I don't think Cable is a very good coach, but the players seem to play for him. I would be fine with keeping him if Al would hire a real OC... Cable is a terrible play caller.