PDA

View Full Version : Best Vocals

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-19-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm sitting here at work and in the background I can here the movie "Rio Bravo". Suddenly I hear Dean Martin singing.

WOW!! I seriously had forgotten how smoooooooth of a voice the man had. I literally sat back in my seat and .....just listened.

Makes me wonder. Who has/had the best voice...ever?

Just because I mentioned him I will throw Dean Martin out there as a very strong possiblity for best male vocals. On the female side I have to go with Karen Carpenter.

I have never owned a CD/Album/Cassette of either...but truly respect their ability.

Give me your thoughts on best male vocalist and best female vocalist of all time.

43Hitman
12-19-2009, 01:57 PM
One of the guys I really like to hear sing is Jeff Tate of Queensryche, and for female vocals I would have to say Whitney pre crack.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-19-2009, 02:00 PM
One of the guys I really like to hear sing is Jeff Tate of Queensryche, and for female vocals I would have to say Whitney pre crack.

Good call on Whitney.

For Rock Vocals....I always thought Foreigner's Lou Gramm had an incredible range.

MACH1
12-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Not an Elvis fan, but I guess he'd be on the list.

The one that surprised me was Gomer Pyle, Jim Nabors.

SteelCityMom
12-19-2009, 03:11 PM
For female my favorites are Sarah Brightman or Ella Fitzgerald. Another favorite of mine is Tarja Turunen, former lead singer of Nightwish.

Favorite male vocalists...Jim Morrison, Freddy Mercury and Maynard (Tool) in that order. Antonio Banderas has one of the sexiest singing voices ever as well. Oh and Bradley Nowell (RIP) from Sublime....:drool:

7SteelGal43
12-19-2009, 03:38 PM
male vocals: Billy Joel
female vocals: Karen Carpenter

KeiselPower99
12-19-2009, 03:52 PM
For female my favorites are Sarah Brightman or Ella Fitzgerald. Another favorite of mine is Tarja Turunen, former lead singer of Nightwish.

Favorite male vocalists...Jim Morrison, Freddy Mercury and Maynard (Tool) in that order. Antonio Banderas has one of the sexiest singing voices ever as well. Oh and Bradley Nowell (RIP) from Sublime....:drool:

Tarja is one helluva singer. I enjoyed Nightwish with her and her solo stuff isnt too bad either. Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil is a good singer as well. My favorite singers is Layne Staley from Alice In Chains. Also Phil Anselmo from Pantera/Down/Superjoint Ritual and Southern Isolation is a man of differant vocal styles. Joe Altier from Brand New Sin can really belt out a tune!

Vincent
12-19-2009, 04:36 PM
For female my favorites are Sarah Brightman or Ella Fitzgerald.

With Brightman and Bocelli doing Con Te Partiṛ, one could make the argument that the best have appeared on the same track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUG4pH3pPrs

Another version...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-B9SxSQPLq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-B9SxSQPLq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I believe I once listened to that track for, how does the saying go, a whole month one night.:chuckle:

SteelCityMom
12-19-2009, 05:06 PM
With Brightman and Bocelli doing Con Te Partiṛ, one could make the argument that the best have appeared on the same track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUG4pH3pPrs

Another version...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-B9SxSQPLq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-B9SxSQPLq8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I believe I once listened to that track for, how does the saying go, a whole month one night.:chuckle:

Bocelli has such a gorgeous voice, they make a great duo.

Not my favorite pairing with Sarah, but this is where I fell in love with Antonio's voice. It doesn't hurt that I was mildly obsessed with Phantom of the Opera for a good 15 years lol. Just gives me goosebumps when he sings.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S88rkpPu8_g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S88rkpPu8_g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GBMelBlount
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Not an Elvis fan, but I guess he'd be on the list.

The one that surprised me was Gomer Pyle, Jim Nabors.

I'm sure he could really hit those high notes in between pillow bites. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
12-19-2009, 05:26 PM
I always thought Bob Dylan had a smooth voice....

OK, that was flat out lie.

James Taylor has an amazingly soulful & soothing voice. He is my hands down favorite.

As for females, Taylor Swift has an amazingly soothing and sultry voice.

BlastFurnace
12-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Josh Groban is my favorite male vocalist

Preacher
12-19-2009, 10:02 PM
For female voice, well, I have to go Aretha Franklin. But that is more for the power and quality of voice instead of smoothness.

For male voice, I don't know. Geoff Tate is a great singer, unbelievable range, but I don't know if I could put him in the best male voice ever range.

Funny, an Elvis song just came on the TV, yes, he does have a really good voice, but...

It is hard to choose. Part of me is very partial to Colm Wilkinson... The original Canadian Phantom.

rrcs5TcwfL0

tony hipchest
12-19-2009, 10:17 PM
i expect noone to agree with me, but glenn danzig is my favorite. what he sings and his style just doesnt appeal to the masses.

i dig how the elvis, orbison, and morrisson influences are strong, though.

Preacher
12-19-2009, 10:21 PM
i expect noone to agree with me, but glenn danzig is my favorite. what he sings and his style just doesnt appeal to the masses.

Danzig's voice fits his music really well, but I don't think it crosses well.

If you are talking about a voice that fits the genre, well, I gotta say Ozzy.

fansince'76
12-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Male: Arthur Brown (incredible operatic range)

Female: Karen Carpenter

SteelCityMom
12-19-2009, 11:44 PM

Love Danzig's voice, both with The Misfits and solo. Blood and Tears and Going Down to Die give me goosebumps every time.

Peter Steele is an all time fave of mine too, not a lot of people really appreciate his voice though.

MattsMe
12-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Male - Tom Waits, and of course Dylan :chuckle:
Female - Iris Dement, and Janis Joplin.

But we're talking about smoothest voice here, so I gotta go with...heck I don't know.

Just some of my personal favorites. Although I really like Danzig too.

Waits' version of "I don't wanna grow up" is an all time favorite of mine, and contains brilliant words to live by in my opinion. The video's great too, and I check it out on youtube at least once a week.

augustashark
12-20-2009, 01:53 AM
This may get many laughs, but when it comes to range I would have to chose Prince. Not a big fan of his, but the range is pretty impressive.

MACH1
12-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Female got to add Annie Lenox and for male Sammy Hagar

GBMelBlount
12-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Female got to add Annie Lenox and for male Sammy Hagar

Pure vocalist, I gotta agree Mach, Annie Lenox is on of my all time fave's. I love her rendition of Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade fo Pale"

Although I am not real keen on her "Look at me, I'm an androgynous child!" look in the video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3UMpBqzVW4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3UMpBqzVW4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HometownGal
12-20-2009, 08:55 AM
I am a huge fan of Tony Bennett and just love his voice. Karen Carpenter ranks up on my top female vocalist list.

As far as range goes, I'd have to go with:

Male: Josh Groban, Jon Secada, and my favorite singer of all time - Steve Perry.

Female: Pat Benatar, Babs Streisand and Martina McBride.

GoSlash27
12-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Excellent thread, LLT! :thumbsup:

I've got to put a nomination out there for Kate Pierson from the B-52s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLOjmY--TA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FjSchBoch0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-C0D0I3ZTY

My personal favorite is Norah Jones. What a fantastic voice!
5NDuj-MyVyA

silver & black
12-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't honestly think you can name a "best" vocalist... male or female. It is way too subjective, and the style of music in which the respective vocalists perform, has to be taken into account.

Having said that... male singers: I have always thought Rob Halford had/has an amazing voice and range. Ronnie James Dio... Steven Tyler... Ian Gillan... Lemmy Kilmister (as an example of being very good for the style he performs in). Who else could ever sing for Motorhead and make it sound right?

Female singers: Doro Pesh (I just like her voice :wink02:)... Pat Benatar... Anne Wilson... Annie Lennox.

Two of my favorite female vocalists from Celtic Woman: Hayley Westenra and Lisa Kelly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfO6JpR5Ip8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_45W-Lq7ftw

KeiselPower99
12-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't honestly think you can name a "best" vocalist... male or female. It is way too subjective, and the style of music in which the respective vocalists perform, has to be taken into account.

Having said that... male singers: I have always thought Rob Halford had/has an amazing voice and range. Ronnie James Dio... Steven Tyler... Ian Gillan... Lemmy Kilmister (as an example of being very good for the style he performs in). Who else could ever sing for Motorhead and make it sound right?

Female singers: Doro Pesh (I just like her voice :wink02:)... Pat Benatar... Anne Wilson... Annie Lennox.

Two of my favorite female vocalists from Celtic Woman: Hayley Westenra and Lisa Kelly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfO6JpR5Ip8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_45W-Lq7ftw

Never in my wildest dreams would I think Lemmys name would come up for best vocalist. Lemmy is God!!!

hindes204
12-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Mariah Carey has an amazing voice.....as did Whitney before she ruined herself. Alicia Keys is another good one. Im also a big fan of Sinatra....my way is such a great song.

silver & black
12-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Never in my wildest dreams would I think Lemmys name would come up for best vocalist. Lemmy is God!!!

Lemmy is obviously NOT a good vocalist, or the owner of a smooth, flowing voice... but he does what he does better than anyone else could do it... IMO. Ronnie James Dio would absolutely suck as the singer for Motorhead... jus as Lemmy would suck trying to sing the type of stuff Dio does. It's all very subjective.

BlastFurnace
12-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Mariah Carey has an amazing voice.....as did Whitney before she ruined herself. Alicia Keys is another good one. Im also a big fan of Sinatra....my way is such a great song.

Mariah Carey is awesome. I also like Leann Rimes.

vasteeler
12-21-2009, 10:52 AM
man i cant beleive no has mentioned robert plant (only the zep years)

GutterflowerSteel
12-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Favorite female vocalist: Ann Wilson of Heart
Favorite males: John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls, Ray Gillen of Badlands (R.I.P.), Ronnie James Dio

Shellshock
12-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Lou Gramm or Freddy Mercury.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll second Freddie Mercury. That guy was a helluva gifted singer.
MMz-wi50ACU

supa_fly_steeler
12-21-2009, 04:31 PM
lil wayne :D.

freddy mercury had a very distinguished voice, could always recognise it.

beSteelmyheart
12-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Like Silver & Black said, it's subjective...Mariah Carey's high notes can make me want to stick an icepick in my ear if Im trapped & forced to listen to it..

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Like Silver & Black said, it's subjective...Mariah Carey's high notes can make me want to stick an icepick in my ear if Im trapped & forced to listen to it..
True. Pure range and modulation are far down the list. If a singer relies on too much on them, it sounds forced. Mariah sounds forced on every song she does; like she's showing off instead of really feeling what she's singing...
Example: LJMnES7WoT4
Here, this song is more than Merry Clayton can really handle. Too much range and power. But it's the point where her voice breaks (2:58) where she conveys how much she *feels* this song, and it's hauntingly beautiful. Might just be the single most incredible vocal performance in history. It sends chills down my spine...
Mariah would have ruined this song.

devilsdancefloor
12-21-2009, 11:52 PM
male vocals: Glenn danzig (blood and tears & sistinas) Fred mercury, Rob halford & Ozzy

Female vocals: Doro Pesch (not to bad on the eyes either) Anne Lennox, Amy Lee & Joan jett

KeiselPower99
12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
DANZIG!!!!!

SteelMember
12-22-2009, 11:54 AM
What? No Celine Dion.

The self proclaimed "greatest singer of all time".

I know. That was a SNL skit... but still funny. :chuckle:

There's just too many I like. Maybe we should narrow it down by music type. :noidea:

(ROCK)

Female - Ann Wilson, Sheryl Crow

Male - Ozzy, Chris Cornell, Scott Weiland, Ian Astbury

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Bob Dylan!

Just Kidding :)

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Heard some GREAT female names thrown out....I cant argue with Martina McBride, Karen Carpenter, Ann Wilson, Whitney Houston..etc.

Loved a lot of the male names thrown out also...but was surprised that no one mentioned Sinatra. Another "smooth" singer not mentioned is Harry Connick Jr.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 10:05 AM
what? No Phil Collins love? or what about Sting?

Patsy Cline also should get a mention because she makes a grown man get chills with her voice.

Also, Amy Whinehouse, her stuff is a little lame, lyrically with too much cursing, but that girl has some Pipes.

Annie Lennox is a great call, I saw her mentioned a few times.

Kate Bush actually is an amazing singer .

Grace Slick could get a nod. as well as Stevie Nicks

Freddie Mercury gets the love cause that guy Did Sing Like A Champion!

7SteelGal43
01-14-2010, 12:34 AM
OK, when I first answered this, I said Billy Joel for my fave male vocalist, and I love Billy, have been a huuuuuuuge fan of his since I was a teen. But I was just watching a Sawyer Brown video, and I must say Mark Miller has THE MOST incredible voice. I have to go put on that CD now. :chuckle:

urgle burgle
01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
singer as well. My favorite singers is Layne Staley from Alice In Chains.

bing bing bing....we have a winner! my fave...also my favorite band of all time.
too bad the dumb ass had to fall to drug waste (which we knew would happen)
some of his best stuff is his stint with Mad Season.

for chick...one of my alltime faves is tiffany arbuckle (i think) from Plum.

urgle burgle
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
man i cant beleive no has mentioned robert plant (only the zep years)

good selection...hes up there definately. his crossover with allison krauss is really good.

kittenfantastico76
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
So many great mentions in this thread!

Male: Freddy Mercury vs. Bob Seger
Honorable Mention Male: Ian Astbury of The Cult - I love his voice and their music.
(I love all the mentions of Danzig as well! Love his voice)

Female: I'm at a loss for an ultimate favorite but so many great ones have come up in this thread.

Polamalu Princess
01-17-2010, 11:30 AM
So many great mentions in this thread!

Male: Freddy Mercury vs. Bob Seger
Honorable Mention Male: Ian Astbury of The Cult - I love his voice and their music.
(I love all the mentions of Danzig as well! Love his voice)

Female: I'm at a loss for an ultimate favorite but so many great ones have come up in this thread.

I love Bob Segar.

hindes204
01-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Heard some GREAT female names thrown out....I cant argue with Martina McBride, Karen Carpenter, Ann Wilson, Whitney Houston..etc.

Loved a lot of the male names thrown out also...but was surprised that no one mentioned Sinatra. Another "smooth" singer not mentioned is Harry Connick Jr.

I mentioned Sinatra in my previous post, that guy was an awesome singer

supa_fly_steeler
01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Pacman Jones when he released his single that never hit the charts.