PDA

View Full Version : What is it with Pennsylvania teams winning championships recently?

BrandonCarr39
12-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Steelers win their 6th Super Bowl

Phillies win the World Series, then make it back the following year

Penguins win the Stanley Cup

Eagles make the NFC Championship game starting from the 6th seed, and are making another SB run this year

Really - what is it all of a sudden with all of these Pennsylvania teams making run at championships recently?

SteelCityMom
12-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Steelers win their 6th Super Bowl

Phillies win the World Series, then make it back the following year

Penguins win the Stanley Cup

Eagles make the NFC Championship game starting from the 6th seed, and are making another SB run this year

Really - what is it all of a sudden with all of these Pennsylvania teams making run at championships recently?

Don't forget the Hershey Bears (AHL) who won the Calder Cup again this year (and have won it more than any AHL team). They are the Washington Capitals farm team though. They beat the baby Pens in the 2nd round of the AHL playoffs.

It's definitely been an exciting time though.

NEPAsteeler
12-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I've noticed that too. Guess we just rock at sports here in PA. :chuckle:

As for the Hershey Bears, they're on a roll again this year too. As for the Baby Pens, well, let's just say they could be doing better. :banging:

Nadroj 20
12-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Pittsburgh was pretty successful in college basketball last year as well, being ranked #1 overall at one point in the season and earning a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament....made it to the elite 8 and was beat at the buzzer so theyve had success as well.

jev7452
12-20-2009, 12:15 PM
and Pitt football being damn good for the first time in awile up until their last 2 games.. even though i'm a penn state fan and we did medicore

tony hipchest
12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
its in the water. it just so happens the pirates are TOO close to the water.

BrandonCarr39
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
A buddy of mine in Pennsylvania told me how the Keystone State is just CRAZY over their Steelers and Eagles(and their college, baseball, basketball, et al teams as well). And I thought Texas sports fans were crazy...

Even though Eagles/Phillies fans may be obnoxious - you have to give them alot of credit, they show alot of passion for their local teams.

Angus Burgher
12-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Don't worry. Philly will choke in the playoffs this year. Count on that.

supa_fly_steeler
12-22-2009, 10:01 PM
dont worry teh pirates will win big sometime soon lol

Venom
12-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Sorry that my Yankees busted the bubble for the Phillies . But I'm a big Philly fan when you guys play the Mets . I hate the Mets !!!!! Looks like with the upgrading the Phillies and Yankees have done so far , I think we will see each other again in October .

St33lersguy
12-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Even though Eagles/Phillies fans may be obnoxious - you have to give them alot of credit, they show alot of passion for their local teams.

They are only passionate when their teams are winning. Most of them are fair weather fans and annoyances

Angus Burgher
12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
They are only passionate when their teams are winning. Most of them are fair weather fans and annoyances

Yup. The players even admit to this.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-29-2009, 06:15 PM

All of them are annoyances. I would only go to Philadelphia if they removed the Philadelphians from the city for my visit.

HometownGal
12-30-2009, 05:47 AM

They are about as fair-weathered as it gets, T. The only time they show passion is when they're pelting an opposing team player or Santie Claus with snowballs.

Personally, I like the Eagles and if the Saints don't win the NFCC, I'll be pulling for them if they make it to the big game. I can't stomach their fans, but I like the team and Reid.

steelerdude15
01-15-2010, 09:47 PM
It would be really nice to see the Pirates win a world series or even have a winning record for once:noidea:

pepsyman1
01-15-2010, 10:25 PM

I live near Philly and grew up watching the Phillies and Eagles (not an Eagles fan, but they were always on TV)...having been around Philly fans my whole life I can tell you they are a little strange. They ARE passionate in their own way. Although they might SEEM like bandwagon fans to those outside the media they always show up at the Stadium. Through most of the early part of this decade this Phillies were miserable and their front office was known for not putting out much effort into bringing talent to the team, but Phillies attendance has always been strong. As for the Eagles, the fans show up...they're just facing the type of frustration we were facing before Bill Cowher finally got a Superbowl victory. The biggest problem with Philly fans is that they get NASTY and OBNOXIOUS when they are losing...something that I've never really seen in any quantity when attending Steelers games.

Venom
01-16-2010, 04:21 PM
And thats why I was sooooooo happy when my Yankees beat them last year !!!

SMR
01-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Nevertheless, I'm mighty proud to say that PA has really stepped up alot these pass years in the sports world. I grew up in PA and now live in Ohio. I'm still a PA boy at heart. Go PSU, go Stillers, go Pens!

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Nadroj 20
01-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Sorry that my Yankees busted the bubble for the Phillies . But I'm a big Philly fan when you guys play the Mets . I hate the Mets !!!!! Looks like with the upgrading the Phillies and Yankees have done so far , I think we will see each other again in October .

I like the Braves so i dont like the mets either.....or the philles actually haha :thumbsup: