PDA

View Full Version : Refs Fixing Games In The NFL ...

SteelerEmpire
12-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Man. I sure hope not. But the guy in this article scared me with the insight he provided in this segment. In my opinion this is a must watch for anyone that enjoys sports. What I got from it is that it gives us an "insiders" perspective on "how its done"... HOPEFULLY its not like this in the NFL... ...unbelievable story... But with some of the outrageous calls we regularly see in some games, it makes you wonder.
Especially with all the holding on Harrison that is'ent called, and opposing team fans accusations of the refs "giving the Steelers games".... (we know the latter is'ent true)...

Watch parts 1-3 if you can...

LINK: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5914330n

BrandonCarr39
12-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Man. I sure hope not. But the guy in this article scared me with the insight he provided in this segment. In my opinion this is a must watch for anyone that enjoys sports. What I got from it is that it gives us an "insiders" perspective on "how its done"... HOPEFULLY its not like this in the NFL... ...unbelievable story... But with some of the outrageous calls we regularly see in some games, it makes you wonder.
Especially with all the holding on Harrison that is'ent called, and opposing team fans accusations of the refs "giving the Steelers games".... (we know the latter is'ent true)...

Watch parts 1-3 if you can...

LINK: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5914330n

Have you seen that 1991 Bruce Willis/Daman Wayans movie "The Last Boyscout"? The plot centered around Willis and Wayans uncovering a plan by the elite to legalize gambling in professional sports, and bribing politicians in doing so as well.

Honestly - I can't say if these games are fixed, but last night's Cowboys/Saints game looked pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty questionable to me. Reggie Bush was hardly injured, but for some reason Payton sat him. Jeremey Shockey was healthy enough to play, but was inactive. Payton left that LT all alone on Ware the entire game, despite getting abused the entire game. Some of the playcalling by Payton and Gregg Williams was pretty suspicious. The refs, IMHO, gave all the favorable calls to Dallas.

No - I'm not trying to be dogmatic about that, or anything else, but at the same time, you have to wonder if Vegas and gambling has the final say over professional sports. Just like that LA Stallions owner in "The Last Boyscout" said, "That's billions...NINE Zeros!".

And to add to this too - all week we heard how Demarcus Ware was going to be out for 2 weeks, and was going to be a "game time decision", at best, their Dec swoons continuing, Wade and Roy Williams were smack talking and guaranteeing wins, the Saints were coming back home where they play their best football, etc - not a bad way to tempt gamblers into placing their bets for New Orleans?

Or how about last year when a red hot Eagles team was guaranteed to smack the Skins around this time last year, but they lost the game b/c Andy Reid called 25 straight pass plays and misused timeouts in the 2nd half? Only to somehow miraculously make the NFC Championship game in the coming weeks?

BTW - a buddy of mine from Pennsylvania told me that Gov. Ed Rendell shoved gambling down everyone's throats, despite the entire state NOT wanting it.

AllD
12-20-2009, 10:13 AM
The bad calls the refs make are due to poor eyesight, favoritism, stupidity, but corruption has not yet been proved.

I say put a ref in the booth with 20 all seeing camera angles to reduce all of the above mentioned. That might eliminate some of the phantom calls against Ward and the lack of holding on Harrison.

Also, if there is an industry wide fix in the NFL, it would actually hurt gambling companies because it would make predicting the outcome of a game virtually impossible using convention.

Preacher
12-20-2009, 10:52 AM
OK.

My buddy was a ref for hockey. He was even a linesman for a few Major Junior games.

he said that at that level, a ref will only see about 50% of what is happening, because everyone is simply so big and so fast.

Now remember, that is three sets of eyes and 10 people on the ice.

Take that to the next level (professional), put 22 people on a field, many of whom are even bigger than hockey players, and only 4 more sets of eyes?

You'd be lucky to get 40% of things actually seen.

So I don't blame "bad reffing", "Favoritism" or "Stupidity." Because beyond all those things, the refs have to call the games by the rule books, not by what we think looks bad or good.

That is why I SELDOM get on a ref. 9 times out of 10, if they called it, either they called it right, or it was sold to them well by an opposing player, which is also part of the game.

beSteelmyheart
12-20-2009, 08:24 PM
That is so strange how you posted this today after I was talking about hearing his interview on talk radio & wondering aloud to my fiancee if that is the case with the NFL refs, & if they have something against James Harrison!!! The media covering the game will even often show an obvious "holding" situation that wasn't called by the refs! I'm starting to wonder if it's getting to be scripted like professional wrestling or has it been all along? No, I hope it never comes to that.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2009, 09:14 PM
If it would have come down to the 18-0 Colts vs the 18-0 Saints in the Superbowl...I'd have questioned game fixing big time. That's for sure.

I don't think I'm alone in that...I still think its really odd that the Patriots went to the Super Bowl after 9/11 on a tuck rule and then got a penalty call on the steelers that forced us to punt again which they then returned for a touchdown...

I blame the "smoking man"

klick81
12-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I don't think I'm alone in that...I still think its really odd that the Patriots went to the Super Bowl after 9/11

Nope, many people I know and myself included find this to be TOO much of a coincidence.

The Patriot
12-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Nope, many people I know and myself included find this to be TOO much of a coincidence.

:toofunny:

We inspired a nation with an improbable run. And then we inspired the nation another two times. Then we lost and the economy tanked.

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 10:47 PM

We inspired a nation with an improbable run. And then we inspired the nation another two times. Then we lost and the economy tanked.

Then the nation found out you all had a bunch of video cameras and lost all respect for you.

BrandonCarr39
12-20-2009, 10:50 PM
If it would have come down to the 18-0 Colts vs the 18-0 Saints in the Superbowl...I'd have questioned game fixing big time. That's for sure.

I don't think I'm alone in that...I still think its really odd that the Patriots went to the Super Bowl after 9/11 on a tuck rule and then got a penalty call on the steelers that forced us to punt again which they then returned for a touchdown...

I blame the "smoking man"

I was thinking the same thing too - and less not forget that ref in the NBA they made the scapegoat(forgot his name, Tim somebody) when all was said and done. I mean during that 2002 Lakers/Kings WCF, even the more well respective sports writers in the country were calling out the officiating in that to be THE worst they've ever seen! I guess before the fan really hit the ceiling, Daniel Stern HAD to find a scapegoat.

Also - about Carolina's smacking of Minnesota tonight - sorry, I still don't buy it. Like I said above, I don't think games are completely fixed like professional wrestling, but at the same time, you have to wonder if Vegas has some of the final say over these games. I thought the Cowboys/Saints game last night was pretty suspicious.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2009, 10:51 PM

LOL! Good counter.

MasterOfPuppets
12-20-2009, 11:26 PM
I was thinking the same thing too - and less not forget that ref in the NBA they made the scapegoat(forgot his name, Tim somebody) when all was said and done. I mean during that 2002 Lakers/Kings WCF, even the more well respective sports writers in the country were calling out the officiating in that to be THE worst they've ever seen! I guess before the fan really hit the ceiling, Daniel Stern HAD to find a scapegoat.

Also - about Carolina's smacking of Minnesota tonight - sorry, I still don't buy it. Like I said above, I don't think games are completely fixed like professional wrestling, but at the same time, you have to wonder if Vegas has some of the final say over these games. I thought the Cowboys/Saints game last night was pretty suspicious.
then there's the bengals going undefeated in the afc north ... thats gotta raise a few eyebrows.... what were the odds of that happening ? ..:wtf:

fansince'76
12-20-2009, 11:34 PM
The Immaculate Reception.

The Catch.

The Music City Miracle.

Nope, not fixed.