PDA

View Full Version : Gay and Carter

Eztarget
12-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Please release these two ass clowns after the season.

steelerfan29_99
12-20-2009, 07:43 PM
I say their both good backups...but NOT starters...this defense is missing something big time and it's not just Troy..against GB they couldn't stop my kids pop warner team..definately not the Steelers Defense we're use to seeing..I say changes need to start from the top and start from there..:banging:

ljk2442
12-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I totally agree, Gay can stay only if hes playing the dime and nickel... and only has to play to zone... he cannot cover one on one, he cant tackle, carter is slow, old, and garbage!

it would be great if we brought in a proven young corner!

CanadianSteel
12-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Carter was all over the field today, unfortunately a day late and a dollar short each time.....

Gay was also all over the field....literally, laying down on it after each Paker receiver put a juke on his ass.....

xbroughneck
12-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I hate talking bad about Steelers who are trying their best and simply don't have the physical ability to do the task required of them.

I have a hard time believing Tyrone Carter is the best backup safety the Steelers can get. I also have a hard time believing William Gay is a solid #2 corner in this league.

In the off season I would like to see one of two scenarios happen.

#1 Steelers draft the best corner available and have him compete with Gay for the starting spot. Then pick up a faster safety via free agency.

#2 Steelers draft the best SAFETY available and bring in a solid #2 corner.

The offense is good enough right now. Even if Ben gets hurt the offense will be good enough to win without him (as long as the defense has all it's starters).

This season has proven that if key starters on defense get hurt the Steelers do not have enough in the secondary to stop people from moving the ball.

SteelerFanInCA
12-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Is it me or does Gay seem to fall down every game?

steelers7807
12-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Carter tries but does not have the skill or talent to be a full time starter. A backup not a starter. But I don't think they thought Troy was going to be out this long.

steel9guy
12-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd keep Carter and be patient with Gay. I know he's horrible this year but that can change.

NJarhead
12-20-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm hopeful that Gay just isn't ready yet. Burnett looks promising and Carter does have the heart (as said by someone earlier) just not the talent.

I think Ike Taylor is waaaay overhyped myself, but my question is: If Gay is consistently getting exposed, why isn't Deshea starting? He's never been fast, but he's always been smart.

Part of our problem has been tackling as well.

Preacher
12-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Once again.

I fail to see why people are baggin on Carter... Just because he couldn't chase a play down FROM ACROSS THE FIELD?

Or is everyone assuming the long TD was Carter's fault.

I go back to what Ryan Clark said . . . . you don't know the coverages, you don't know who was supposed to be there.

He is right.

And yes, I think TC is probably one of the best BACKUP Safeties WE are going to get... because anyone that has the talent to be the BEST Backup in the league, will be good enough to start on a number of teams.

SteelerFanInTX210
12-20-2009, 09:41 PM
He is not even qualified to be a backup. He is a back up now, and hes pissing me off with his blown coverage and missed tackles and Gay is just plain poop, i cannot stand to even watch them play and what really makes me mad is when they make a little tackle or pass break up they get all excited, when they SUCK! I dont blame Tomlin for the onside kick because he knows the defense is absolute crap, he had to take a chance.

supa_fly_steeler
12-20-2009, 09:43 PM
all of our secondary were horrible this year, last year gay filled in awesome for mcfadden, so we all know he can get the job done as well as ike, but really does losin polamalu expose so much coverage and make the players look better than they actually are?

KitsapSteve
12-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Just Tackle, Is that too hard you get Millions to tackle,
Forget getting the Pick it wont happen, TACKLE!

Sharkissle29
12-21-2009, 12:53 AM
unfortunately there are no good CB's in free agency this upcoming year...

Preacher
12-21-2009, 12:57 AM
unfortunately there are no good CB's in free agency this upcoming year...

that's ok. We don't pick up big CB's in FA anyway.

devilsdancefloor
12-21-2009, 01:04 AM
2 things that drives me insane about carter is when someone is running at him instead of meeting him to tackle him he stands and waits on him & he seems during crucial time of the game NOT knowing what to do or not get the play some how. i really think the safety play is out of wack because of communication i think clark can look at troy or vice versa and they know whats going :noidea:

Steelers24/7
12-21-2009, 01:24 AM
I don't know how it is possible to fall down for no apparent reason, but to pull it off multiple times a game is an incredible feat. Gay for the Pro Bowl!

Merchant
12-21-2009, 01:35 AM
omg I wanted to KILL carter today.. that first TD should have been a KNOCKOUT punch. and what does he do??

and how about that Ryan Grant TD run?? that was his tackle to make, and he didn't even come close.

god I miss Troy...

Steelman16
12-21-2009, 01:52 AM
I think Carter is a more than capable backup, especially playing behind an absolute beast in Troy Polamalu. And in trying to be like him, both Ryan Clark and Carter go for the big hit too often when they should just make the solid tackle. I've noticed it a lot. Clark especially.

As far as Gay, he's young, still developing, and has been picked on by every team we've played. All of our corners have had a shabby year, but Gay takes the heat for it. I think he's in the mold of Townsend, not very fast, but could be smart. He's still working on that part. Until then though, he's a liability in the secondary.

However, I do think we need to bring in a corner and safety in the offseason. Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett were nice additions, but we need a stud.

shinoff2183
12-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Idk which games you guys have been watching but If I had to choose Id pick gay over Ike. Ike has been horrible this year, besides this one game, can you find a game he wasnt beat on,. Atleast gay attempts a tackle. I think gay did pretty good tonight.

FacemeIke
12-21-2009, 10:27 AM
That secondary is so messed up that I'll let Lebeau figure it out. Someone is to blame though for all of the blown coverages and long td receptions we've given up. I'm inclined to think that our safeties have been out of position a lot. I like Carter, but I'd be happy if we drafted a safety to back up Troy next year and replace Clark once his contract is up. Gay gives up way too much cushion and falls way too often. If those things don't change then we need to find a replacement and move him back to nickle.

Rick5895
12-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Our safety play has not been good without Troy. Carter is missing too many tackles, he had a great game against Denver, but is not equipped with the speed or ability to be an every game starter. Gay, IMO, is just not a good starting CB. I am not so sure we have to go and draft one high. I think we have a couple of kids that will be good players down the road (Burnett, Lewis) We need safety help, and we might just be able to get that in the draft. Clark will likely be gone after this season so we will have to find someone to lay that spot in the offseason. IN the draft we are also going to have to find a replacement for Hampton. I am hoping he will return for another year or two, but we still need a replacement for him.

madtowndrunkard
12-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Please release these two ass clowns after the season.

Well carter is what he is.... a back up who clearly cannot be a starter.

Gay is in his 2nd season.....1st as a starter. I'll give him a year or two before I'm ready to throw him to the curb.

that said I think secondary is the #1 priority this off season. I can't think of one player in the secondary that has lived up to expectations this year. Townsend's career is coming to an end. Clark is good enough when Troy is on the field. His weaknesses are exposed when Troy's off the field. Ike is as inconsistent as they come. I think he lacks focus because I've seen Ike play at probowl levels and get embarrassed numerous times. His lack of play making ability IMO makes Ike nothing more then a #2 corner. Our depth in the secondary is obviously a serious issue. So I'd like to see our #1 pick used on a corner or a FS. Either that or bring in a good FA corner.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Gay is actually in his 3rd season and this is a contract year. I expect to see him signed relatively inexpensive as his play hasnt been stellar. Carter is also in the final year of his contract and I expect the Steelers will try and extend Clark, but not Carter.

As for drafting CB, I doubt that it happens. Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis were drafted to play CB and I believe Taylor, Gay, Burnett, Lewis will be the core at CB next year. I do expect to see the Steelers select a safety in the first 3 rounds however, as that position needs some depth.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
William Gay might be the worst starting cornerback this franchise has had, possibly ever. I've never seen a guy seem so out of position, or falling down, or taking bad angles in some time. The ability of this team to play pressure defense relies heavy on solid CB play...we don't have that. Lewis should get a chance - he couldn't be much worse.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Gay is actually in his 3rd season and this is a contract year. I expect to see him signed relatively inexpensive as his play hasnt been stellar. Carter is also in the final year of his contract and I expect the Steelers will try and extend Clark, but not Carter.

As for drafting CB, I doubt that it happens. Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis were drafted to play CB and I believe Taylor, Gay, Burnett, Lewis will be the core at CB next year. I do expect to see the Steelers select a safety in the first 3 rounds however, as that position needs some depth.

One could only hope that they will sign someone that will return Gay to the role he does best....nickel back.

steelerchad
12-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm hopeful that Gay just isn't ready yet. Burnett looks promising and Carter does have the heart (as said by someone earlier) just not the talent.

I think Ike Taylor is waaaay overhyped myself, but my question is: If Gay is consistently getting exposed, why isn't Deshea starting? He's never been fast, but he's always been smart.

Part of our problem has been tackling as well.

Because you said it, Deshea has never been fast, and at this point in time he could even be called slow. He wouldn't have the speed to stay with a #2 wideout every play.

The biggest problem I have with the secondary is no turnovers being caused and poor tackling. The Steelers always allowed alot of short completions, but they were always there to make the solid tackle. This year, I'm seeing 10 yard passes go the distance on a regular basis.

And when is the last time someone actually picked off a pass? That's what the Steelers used to do to an offense. Make them go 12 plays for 75 yards, bending but never breaking. Either getting the mistake for a pick at some point or stiffening in the redzone and holding to 3. Neither is happening with this version of the Steelers D.

ricardisimo
12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Some of the draft boards have us taking Taylor Mays. It would be interesting to have two USC safeties playing at the same time. However, I'd rather we win some more and lose out on the chance to get Mays. We tend to do well in the middle rounds, and I'm sure there will be a gem at safety there.

I still think Gay has promise. However, he has not been the same player since AP ran over him on national TV. He needs more confidence, and some fine-tuning on positioning. He's young, and that's still fixable. I'm more concerned with Ike and Clark. Those two are way too experienced to be giving up all those plays and committing so many penalties. And of course, Ike's hands are unlikely to get any better at this point in his career.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Question:

If we benched William Gay, would he sit 10 yards behind the bench like his coverage skills?

Shellshock
12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Gay=Sammy Walker

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Because you said it, Deshea has never been fast, and at this point in time he could even be called slow. He wouldn't have the speed to stay with a #2 wideout every play.

The biggest problem I have with the secondary is no turnovers being caused and poor tackling. The Steelers always allowed alot of short completions, but they were always there to make the solid tackle. This year, I'm seeing 10 yard passes go the distance on a regular basis.

And when is the last time someone actually picked off a pass? That's what the Steelers used to do to an offense. Make them go 12 plays for 75 yards, bending but never breaking. Either getting the mistake for a pick at some point or stiffening in the redzone and holding to 3. Neither is happening with this version of the Steelers D.

Two words: Ty Law.

SteelGhost
12-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Gay, Carter .....and Taylor have been playing below expectations this season, IMHO. Townsend may be gone, time to revamp the secondary unit. I agree with the tackling, it's been horrible :doh:

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Tyrone Carter was a good backup SS for a long while. Unfortunately he has just got old and slow.

You can see that he continually puts himself in the right spot and that he knows his coverages.

He just isnt fast enough to play coverage in the nfl anymore

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Gay=Sammy Walker

I'm thinking more like Harvey Clayton

MasterOfPuppets
12-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Gay=Sammy Walker
also....gay = tom brady

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 05:52 PM
also....gay = tom brady

ooh, ooh, my turn:

Joe Buck = Gay = Troy Aikman.

I WIN! :chuckle:

KitsapSteve
12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
What did someone actually say they saw William Gay make a tackle , I missed it when did that happen, and Carter please quit acting like you are Troy, YOUR NOT, Just make the Hit and make the tackle.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
12-21-2009, 06:54 PM
If I were him, I'd change my number to something like 44 and then change my name to Bill Straight... I'd do just about anything to make people forget about me...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-21-2009, 07:40 PM
What did someone actually say they saw William Gay make a tackle , I missed it when did that happen, and Carter please quit acting like you are Troy, YOUR NOT, Just make the Hit and make the tackle.

You must not watch Steeler games then because accourding to NFL.com(as of December 21st) Gay is 44th in the league in solo tackles with 65. :coffee:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&statisticCategory=SACKS&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_TOTAL_TACKLES&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2009&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=0&d-447263-p=1

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
You must not watch Steeler games then because accourding to NFL.com(as of December 21st) Gay is 44th in the league in solo tackles with 65. :coffee:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&statisticCategory=SACKS&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_TOTAL_TACKLES&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2009&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=0&d-447263-p=1

Too bad they don't track missed tackles and getting burned.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
12-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Too bad they don't track missed tackles and getting burned.

Yup. I'm not trying to say Gay misses tackles. I just don't like the claim that he does not make any tackles when he is one of the top 50 solo tacklers in the league. (Although, this number is likely contributed to by poor coverage.)

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Yup. I'm not trying to say Gay misses tackles. I just don't like the claim that he does not make any tackles when he is one of the top 50 solo tacklers in the league. (Although, this number is likely contributed to by poor coverage.)

Agreed. I stated this elsewhere, but I'm a little miffed that he consistently gives a 10-15 yard cushion on 3rd & 1.

Rick5895
12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Some of the draft boards have us taking Taylor Mays. It would be interesting to have two USC safeties playing at the same time. However, I'd rather we win some more and lose out on the chance to get Mays. We tend to do well in the middle rounds, and I'm sure there will be a gem at safety there.

I still think Gay has promise. However, he has not been the same player since AP ran over him on national TV. He needs more confidence, and some fine-tuning on positioning. He's young, and that's still fixable. I'm more concerned with Ike and Clark. Those two are way too experienced to be giving up all those plays and committing so many penalties. And of course, Ike's hands are unlikely to get any better at this point in his career.
Taylor Mays is having some issues with coverage this year at SC. So much that it is likely to affect his draft status. He is a hitter and has speed and would be intriguing if we were able to snag him.

markymarc
12-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Like others have stated William Gay should be our nickel CB. I realize he is young, but at this point he is not a starting CB in the NFL. I know that McFadden has been abused in Arizona, but I truly believe we miss him in the secondary right now.

And don't even get me started on Tyronne Carter. TC had 1 good game this year and that was when he filled in for Ryan Clark against Denver. All of the other games he showed why he no longer should be playing in the NFL. His skill set doesn't allow him to cover WRs and TEs and he often takes very bad angles when trying to tackle. IMO there is no reason why Ryan Mundy should not be starting ahead of TC right now.

We have all witnessed TC bad play and right now Ryan Mundy could be getting valuable playing time to see if he can be a good backup or not. I am so glad this is the last year of TC's contract. It's time to find a legitimate back up at SS and FS.