PDA

View Full Version : Onside Kick... Makes sense?

Pages : 1 [2]

TheWarDen86
12-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Even Mike Tomlins 8 year old thought it was a dumb call.

Yep, the 8 year old mentality seems to be contagious around here anymore.

:coffee:

steelax04
12-23-2009, 01:28 PM
But seriously, think about it. You're playing Madden and find yourself in the exact same situation. Who here *wouldn't* go for the onside with that much time left?

You forgot that no one on this msg board would ever be playing such a close game in Madden... we're all OC geniuses! :chuckle:

GoSlash27
12-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I'd also like to point out that it didn't "almost work out". It *did* work out. We got the ball back with 2:00 on the clock, our offense on the field, and Big Ben (the master of the 2 minute drill) against a defense that he had thoroughly owned all day long.

There's no earthly reason to not go for the onside other than not having it occur to you.

*edit* removed for excessive stupidity on my part

stlrtruck
12-23-2009, 02:52 PM
You forgot that no one on this msg board would ever be playing such a close game in Madden... we're all OC geniuses! :chuckle:

I don't know about you, but when I play Madden, I AM THE FOOTBALL GOD! :chuckle:

Preacher
12-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I don't know about you, but when I play Madden, I AM THE FOOTBALL GOD! :chuckle:

Funny thing is, ALL I DO on Madden is the onside kicks!!

But in real life, this time, this kick made a WHOLE lot of sense.

The problem was actually, EXECUTION. Imagine that. 1. Skippy didn't quite kick it far enough and 2. Ike grabbed it before it crossed the line.

tony hipchest
12-23-2009, 06:59 PM
in all reality it was very stupid.

ike taylor on the "hands" team is all you need to know.

Preacher
12-23-2009, 07:01 PM

I disagree with it being stupid.

Ike Taylor on the hands team... That however, has validity. (Maybe it was to fool them? :wink02:)

AllD
12-23-2009, 07:03 PM
It was a dumb gamble. You can spin it as a good decision based on the poor defense, but he forgot that special teams has not executed all season. The bottom line is BB kept him from being humiliated and it kept the BA haters down for one more week.

Preacher
12-23-2009, 07:05 PM
It was a dumb gamble. You can spin it as a good decision based on the poor defense, but he forgot that special teams has not executed all season. The bottom line is BB kept him from being humiliated and it kept the BA haters down for one more week.

THis is the argument I keep shaking my head at.

THe gamble was NOT THAT WE WOULDNT RECOVER IT. That we wouldn't was almost a given in the logic... it was a cherry on top if we recovered it.

The GAMBLE was that if they DID recover it, they would score with enough time for us to drive the ball again.

THAT was what the dice were thrown on . . . and he won.

Vincent
12-24-2009, 06:24 AM

What he said.

GoSlash27
12-24-2009, 10:42 AM
I disagree with it being stupid.

Ike Taylor on the hands team... That however, has validity. (Maybe it was to fool them? )
The one time Ike comes up with the ball cleanly... :chuckle:

Seriously, I don't get the reasoning behind the "bad call" argument. Maybe if someone explained it to me... :noidea:

Preacher
12-24-2009, 02:42 PM
The one time Ike comes up with the ball cleanly... :chuckle:

Seriously, I don't get the reasoning behind the "bad call" argument. Maybe if someone explained it to me... :noidea:

I agree. Somehow, everyone seems to think the gamble was whether we would actually get the ball back on the kickoff, when it was really . . . would they score with enough time for us to have a chance to win teh game.

I guess people just keep forgetting the previous 13 games

GoSlash27
12-24-2009, 10:51 PM
I agree. Somehow, everyone seems to think the gamble was whether we would actually get the ball back on the kickoff, when it was really . . . would they score with enough time for us to have a chance to win teh game.
Well, that's my thinking too, but perhaps there's something I'm missing. That's why I asked.

steelwalls
12-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow this thread is still kickin... Tomlin explained his reasoning for the call, anything we say about his decision outside of that, is purely speculation. Liked the call then, and the win, be it luck or be it planning will never be taken away from us.

Preacher
12-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Wow this thread is still kickin... Tomlin explained his reasoning for the call, anything we say about his decision outside of that, is purely speculation. Liked the call then, and the win, be it luck or be it planning will never be taken away from us.

Well, until there is something else to talk about... what else would Steelers fans do? :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
12-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, until there is something else to talk about... what else would Steelers fans do? :chuckle:
we need a fresh arians thread ....:noidea:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I heard the onside kick was Arians' call. :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
12-26-2009, 11:23 PM

:link:

plenewken
12-27-2009, 09:13 AM

Whoever call it was, the bottom line is it failed. Onside kick strategy assumes that it is recovered by the kicking team, otherwise, it's pretty much like a KO returned to our 40yds line.
Since it was a "surprise" onside kick, with a higher probability to recover the ball than on a "regular" onside kick, whoever thinks it was designed so that Green Bay would score quickly and give us the ball back with enough time to score is full of sh*t.
It was designed so that we would recover the ball and score, giving us a 5pts lead, maybe a 9pts lead, while eating as much time as possible.
In any case, our win last week had nothing to do with the scenario Tomlin envisioned when he called it.

steelcity58
12-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Bad call.

This defense is not the 2008 version, but to totally not trust them is giving in, with a losing attitude.

Ben saved Tomlin's butt on that one.

stillers4me
12-27-2009, 09:28 AM
This is so last week.