PDA

View Full Version : Kickoffs!

steelerchad
12-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I sat there today after one of Reeds pop ups to the other teams 30 yard line wondering why we even bother. Why even risk the return in that situation. We kicked it to the 30, they got a meager 8 yard return to start at the 38. If we have a gameplan to pop up kicks to the other teams 30, then that gameplan is seriously flawed.

We could just drill the ball directly out of bounds as long as it crosses the other teams 40 and their starting spot would be their 40 yard line.
When you kick it to their 30, I'm guessing you think they'll pick up 5 or 10 yards on the return. Why risk the kickoff at all when you're giving it to them on the 35 or 40 anyway.

Solution- Have Reed kick it between the hash and sideline to around the 15 every time. If you get it close to the sideline, maybe it pins them close enough to help our coverage. Maybe they field it and step out of bounds because of momentum. Maybe they mishandle it and it goes out of bounds. Maybe they get a big return anyway, maybe even a TD. But that's happening anyway. And lastly, maybe it goes out of bounds and they start at the 40. If this happens 50% of the time, we still may be better off then what we've had so far this year.

stb_steeler
12-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I sat there today after one of Reeds pop ups to the other teams 30 yard line wondering why we even bother. Why even risk the return in that situation. We kicked it to the 30, they got a meager 8 yard return to start at the 38. If we have a gameplan to pop up kicks to the other teams 30, then that gameplan is seriously flawed.

We could just drill the ball directly out of bounds as long as it crosses the other teams 40 and their starting spot would be their 40 yard line.
When you kick it to their 30, I'm guessing you think they'll pick up 5 or 10 yards on the return. Why risk the kickoff at all when you're giving it to them on the 35 or 40 anyway.

Solution- Have Reed kick it between the hash and sideline to around the 15 every time. If you get it close to the sideline, maybe it pins them close enough to help our coverage. Maybe they field it and step out of bounds because of momentum. Maybe they mishandle it and it goes out of bounds. Maybe they get a big return anyway, maybe even a TD. But that's happening anyway. And lastly, maybe it goes out of bounds and they start at the 40. If this happens 50% of the time, we still may be better off then what we've had so far this year.

Heres a better thought, why not kick it in the endzone! I dont think Reed has the leg for it.