PDA

View Full Version : "So I chewed him out..."

johnnyribcage
12-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Does anyone else find Ben's semi-rant about Wallace in the post-game a little odd and unnecessary? Why did Ben feel compelled to take away from his catch? His two TD's? Ben really kind of tore into this dude for a second. I understand he's a rookie and maybe Ben doesn't want him to get a big head, but he kind of let him have it there, in my opinion. Ben did say afterwards that he admired his "MVP-type catch," but... Wallace (of course along with Ben's neat-o pass) kept the season alive in spite of that insane onside kick and yet another par for the course defense collapse. Why the call-out?

Preacher
12-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Ben was brought up in the "Cowher Camp"

Psyychoward86
12-20-2009, 10:44 PM
i didnt hear anything out of the ordinary....

BlastFurnace
12-20-2009, 10:48 PM
I didn't have a problem with what Ben said.

Vincent
12-20-2009, 10:48 PM
...season alive in spite of that insane onside kick and yet another par for the course defense collapse...

It has been firmly established in another thread that you're not allowed to say that. Now go flog yourself and say several Hail Marys.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I got no problem with it. He may have chewed him out but how many defenders saw that??? Maybe that is why he was in man coverage on the final play and was able to make the great play. Sometimes a player needs a little chewing on. It aint like Ben just did that and then didn't go back to him he got in his head and for what it was worth they connected.

Also the onside kick was not such a bad idea in my books. The D was not stopping them in the 4th quarter so I was fine with it. If Ike lets it go for a second longer we can recover and I think Ben would have lead us to another score because even though we weren't stopping them they weren't stopping us either, at least not completely.

johnnyribcage
12-20-2009, 11:04 PM
It has been firmly established in another thread that you're not allowed to say that. Now go flog yourself and say several Hail Marys.

Sorry... I forgot!

(I'm with you on that one)

:drink:

BigBen'sSwagger
12-20-2009, 11:07 PM

Now come on just because many here liked the call doesn't mean you can't have your say. But on 2nd thought go ahead and flog yourself for not seeing the onside kick as a thing of beauty. LOL :rofl:

johnnyribcage
12-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Now come on just because many here liked the call doesn't mean you can't have your say. But on 2nd thought go ahead and flog yourself for not seeing the onside kick as a thing of beauty. LOL :rofl:

Don't you mean, thing of doodie? :poop:
:wink02:

Hell, we won the game, so it's all good, but that's about as close as it gets. I just thought the call out was odd. Maybe just a release of pent up emotion, which is good I guess considering the lack of fire everyone's been showing lately. The whole game was an emotional release. I'm just always a big fan of "praise in public, criticize in private."
:tt04:

klick81
12-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Any video of this? I completely missed it.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Don't you mean, thing of doodie? :poop:
:wink02:

Hell, we won the game, so it's all good, but that's about as close as it gets. I just thought the call out was odd. Maybe just a release of pent up emotion, which is good I guess considering the lack of fire everyone's been showing lately. The whole game was an emotional release. I'm just always a big fan of "praise in public, criticize in private."
:tt04:

I understand and overall Ben does a pretty damn good job of not laying blame on anyone other than himself. He could easily throw his line under the bus but he never does. Ben went back to him with the game on the game on the line just like he did with Santonio in the Superbowl last year and he caught it so I don't think it's as big of a thing as it seems to be on this thread. Heat of the moment and wallace is a rookie who is prone to making mistakes, it's all part of the learning process.

johnnyribcage
12-21-2009, 12:04 AM
I understand and overall Ben does a pretty damn good job of not laying blame on anyone other than himself. He could easily throw his line under the bus but he never does. Ben went back to him with the game on the game on the line just like he did with Santonio in the Superbowl last year and he caught it so I don't think it's as big of a thing as it seems to be on this thread. Heat of the moment and wallace is a rookie who is prone to making mistakes, it's all part of the learning process.

Oh yeah, I dig it too, Ben's a good leader I think. Went back to him, good catch, good times. I just thought that the fact that he told everyone about the on the field scolding was unnecessary, but not necessarily a big deal; discussion worthy, however.

JEFF4i
12-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Seems fair, seems...Cowher like.

He went to him to win the game, believed in him beating single man on the last play of the game instead of lobbing it to Holmes or Wallace.

Honestly I think it's a very fair, and very good call.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Oh yeah, I dig it too, Ben's a good leader I think. Went back to him, good catch, good times. I just thought that the fact that he told everyone about the on the field scolding was unnecessary, but not necessarily a big deal; discussion worthy, however.

That it is I don't remember the whole conversation but was he asked about it or did he just come out with it? Maybe he thought he was something they picked up on camera so he wanted to clear the air. I dunno.

Angus Burgher
12-21-2009, 12:28 AM
I think it was the result of several things. First off, the game came down to an 80+ yard drive in the final 2 minutes, capped off by a TD in the final second. His nerves were probably jacked up to 11 after that and I doubt it wore off until hours after the game. He was likely still wired in the interview.

Now add onto that some other factors. First, people were writing the Steelers off after the Browns loss. Many people criticized Ben, saying that he wasn't a good leader, and across the board, the team was being accused of giving up. Additionally, rumors are flying that coaches are going to be fired, players are going to be released and team members are fighting in the locker room.

So Ben goes and plays what might have been the best game of his career, and still had to win it in the final second. My guess is, when any of those reporters asked him anything he just said whatever popped into his mind.

lardlad
12-21-2009, 12:42 AM
I didn't like it. He sounded like he wanted to point out he had t slap his hands. He also said something like time to grow up or something. I think between him, the media and everyone listening it was unnecessary. I also didn't like Wallace breaking his arm to pat his back. He was talking a little to big about big time plays and big time players or something. It was an unreal catch, but I he doesn't need to tell us about it to boost his confidence.

17 is, BTW, ROY hands down. This guy is going to be GREAT! He plays like he has been in the league for 5 years. If Ben can get the ball to him on time, he is a real legitimate deep threat. If he is hit in stride nearly all of his catches go for 6.

johnnyribcage
12-21-2009, 02:51 AM
I didn't like it. He sounded like he wanted to point out he had t slap his hands. He also said something like time to grow up or something. I think between him, the media and everyone listening it was unnecessary. I also didn't like Wallace breaking his arm to pat his back. He was talking a little to big about big time plays and big time players or something. It was an unreal catch, but I he doesn't need to tell us about it to boost his confidence.

17 is, BTW, ROY hands down. This guy is going to be GREAT! He plays like he has been in the league for 5 years. If Ben can get the ball to him on time, he is a real legitimate deep threat. If he is hit in stride nearly all of his catches go for 6.

Thanks Lard, that's what I was thinking. I'm almost certain it was pure emotion though. There were some serious high tension nerves stretched pretty tight out there in all likelihood and that interview was right after the game.

iloveben7
12-21-2009, 03:37 AM
I didn't see any problem with it. If Ben had a problem with Wallace, he wouldn't have thrown him the winning TD.

The reasons people come up with to hate on Ben

johnnyribcage
12-21-2009, 04:19 AM
I didn't see any problem with it. If Ben had a problem with Wallace, he wouldn't have thrown him the winning TD.

Relax loverboy/girl, I wear a Ben jersey every week. Big fan. I'm sure I don't love him as much as you do, though, so take it easy, you can have him. Since you found it appropriate to echo a post almost directly after mine on a different thread regarding our superbowl wins thanks to ben, however, might I suggest you start reading a line or two and adding a comment that enlightens the conversation rather than some cheesy propaganda.:peace:

iloveben7
12-25-2009, 01:31 AM
^it's called having the same opinion as someone else. And I added my own thought to this thread about what I thought of Ben calling Wallace out. It's what everyone else did, post their opinions. Since when are you the posting police???

johnnyribcage
12-25-2009, 02:25 AM
^it's called having the same opinion as someone else. And I added my own thought to this thread about what I thought of Ben calling Wallace out. It's what everyone else did, post their opinions. Since when are you the posting police???

Back for a little last word action, eh? :thmbdown: Move along, everyone else did. :coffee: ...

It's Ravens Week. :tt04::helmet::tt04:

Borski
12-25-2009, 03:24 AM
Back for a little last word action, eh? :thmbdown: Move along, everyone else did. :coffee: ...

Whats the problem dude? you don't gotta be rude to fellow posters, especially to people that have been here for 3 years when you have only been here for 2 weeks.

solardave
12-25-2009, 04:43 AM

I think the appropriate thing would be to throw several Hail Marys.:rofl:

steel striker
12-25-2009, 09:32 AM
This happens more than most people think and, I remember Dan Marino, Jim Kelly chewing guys out on a weekly basis. Remember Wallace is a young guy and, between Ben & Hines they will make sure he stays grounded. I have no problem with Ben pretty much saying come man you quit on the ball run through your routes.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Ben reminding him never to give up on a play.. Never.... even if it means getting sacked 500 times a game... haha...
No really though... ben doesnt give up on plays and expects the same from his team.... also, doesnt want his receiver to get a big head on an amazing play

steel9guy
12-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I like the idea of not getting a big head but he did catch the game winning TD and probably got a hugh confidence boost.

Fire Haley
12-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Ben is just covering for his top two WR's who don't want him showing them up by praising a rookie.

TackleMeBen
12-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Ben is just covering for his top two WR's who don't want him showing them up by praising a rookie.
LOL:rofl:

Steeldude
12-25-2009, 01:49 PM
perhaps someone should chew out BR for his extremely pathetic long passes. i have never seen a QB throw long passes that poorly on such a consistent basis. it's worse than kordell's, by far.

X-Terminator
12-25-2009, 03:05 PM
perhaps someone should chew out BR for his extremely pathetic long passes. i have never seen a QB throw long passes that poorly on such a consistent basis. it's worse than kordell's, by far.

His arm strength is not a problem - that throw to Wallace for the GW TD was a pass that not every QB can make. A 30-yard dart to Wallace's back shoulder. It's throwing off his back foot on the deep passes that's the problem. If he stepped into them more and had a little bit better anticipation, he would be so much better at it. It does not make him any less of a QB, though. Even the great ones have flaws.

StainlessStill
12-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I think MANY of you are overlooking all of this. I, for one, have NO problem of what Ben said. You got to realize that being a leader isn't always sunshine and rainbows and making cinnamon rolls for them after practice. Spending time is okay but being a leader reflects off of how the guys respond to you and that means when the going gets tough you need to say what needs to be said, even if they or anyone else likes it or not. Ben is a true leader and it shouldn't be taken as a call out, I mean.. Ben went back to him and trusted him to make a play and that stems off of leadership alone.

Bluedust
12-25-2009, 03:33 PM

:rofl: Man just let it go.

Steeldude
12-25-2009, 05:11 PM
His arm strength is not a problem - that throw to Wallace for the GW TD was a pass that not every QB can make. A 30-yard dart to Wallace's back shoulder. It's throwing off his back foot on the deep passes that's the problem. If he stepped into them more and had a little bit better anticipation, he would be so much better at it. It does not make him any less of a QB, though. Even the great ones have flaws.

i am referring to his long passes :smile: yes, i know it's because he throws off his back foot. i am puzzled as to why anderson has yet to correct such an easy flaw to fix.

IMO, the GW pass was basically a prayer. it's not like BR was saying to himself that he should aim it low, just past the pylon and in that specific spot. he threw it in the general area and hoped. which is how many passes in situations like that are completed.

Stlrs4Life
12-25-2009, 08:28 PM
What did Wallace do? I missed it?

Preacher
12-25-2009, 08:57 PM
What did Wallace do? I missed it?

I think Ben was referring to the pass thrown to him about two plays before the TD in the last game.

I was a little confused as well. I re-watched the play and didn't really see it.

johnnyribcage
12-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Whats the problem dude? you don't gotta be rude to fellow posters, especially to people that have been here for 3 years when you have only been here for 2 weeks.

Well dude, not to be rude, but I was responding to an originally snarky comment by that age old poster who accused me of hating on Ben, and in the same comment said the exact same thing I said in another comment. I'm not a Ben hater. I almost always defend him. This thread was dead, then that poster brought it back to life several days later, strictly to call me out, so I feel I can respond in kind. What, is this board unionized like everything else around here or something?
:bs:

Borski
12-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Well dude, not to be rude, but I was responding to an originally snarky comment by that age old poster who accused me of hating on Ben, and in the same comment said the exact same thing I said in another comment. I'm not a Ben hater. I almost always defend him. This thread was dead, then that poster brought it back to life several days later, strictly to call me out, so I feel I can respond in kind. What, is this board unionized like everything else around here or something?

Really? lets look at how the conversation broke down:

Relax loverboy/girl, I wear a Ben jersey every week. Big fan. I'm sure I don't love him as much as you do, though, so take it easy, you can have him. Since you found it appropriate to echo a post almost directly after mine on a different thread regarding our superbowl wins thanks to ben, however, might I suggest you start reading a line or two and adding a comment that enlightens the conversation rather than some cheesy propaganda.:peace:

Nobody questioned your fandom, I don't know what you are insulted by in this post and then you go on to belittle a fellow comenter like you are the boss around here. look, we love having new people around here but don't come in like you own the place and start pushing people around.

So the post was a few days later, not everyone runs on the same schedule, you don't think its appropriate for her to respond to your attack?

No, the board isnt unionized and everyone is free to express their own opinions, whats not cool is when people start attacking other posters, especially ones who have been here a long time by new people coming in and trolling.

Stop being so hostile to other people and its all good.

markymarc
12-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I have no problems of what Ben said to Mike Wallace. That is part of being a leader on this team. You're not always going to have nice conversations. Ben was trying to help out the rookie. In the end, it worked out perfectly.

KYsteelfan
12-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Ben is the leader of that offense. when he needs to say something he does, wether its good or bad. it obviously worked haha

iloveben7
01-01-2010, 01:30 AM

I don't see any problem with my comment. And excuse me for having the same opinion as you. I don't know why you're so insulted by me saying a similar thing as you. And where did I ever say you hated Ben. And I'm sorry I don't have a radar schedule that tells me when a new post pops up in a thread that would interest me. I have better things to do than post on message boards all day long. Posters like you are the reasons why I usually stay away from this board.

Have a good day and GO STEELERS