PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs suddenly not such a crazy idea....

pepsyman1
12-20-2009, 11:57 PM
As amazing as it sounds, with everything that happened today, the chances of the Steelers making the playoffs are suddenly not as hopeless as they seemed a week ago. We obviously have to win out are last two games, but if that happens there is fairly good chance that the Ravens & the Steelers would get the wild card spots. If we win out the Ravens most likely go 9-7 as well (they finish with Oakland). The other wild card team currently the Broncos have to play the Eagles next week leaving them most likely at 9-7 losing the head to head record in a 3 way tie to the Steelers & Ravens who both beat them. All the other 7-7 teams have great chances of picking up their 8th loss.

Miami plays us and would be done if we win out.
NY Jets still have to play the Colts and Bengals
Tennessee has to play San Diego this week and we've beaten them
Jacksonville has to play New England this week
Houston has Miami this week then New England

We still need help if we win out, but thanks to the help we got today we aren't looking for miracles out of teams that have no chance. We're just looking for the division winners to win the games they are favored in. Bring on the Ravens and cross your fingers!!!

steelerchad
12-21-2009, 12:26 AM
At 9-7 we're OK in tiebreakers with the Broncos and Titans. We'll lose tiebreakers with the Ravens, Jets, Jaguars.

Bad stuff happens when you start throwing around other combos. If we end in a 9-7 tie with Broncos and Ravens, we get in. But add Houston to the 9-7 mix and the Broncos and Ravens get in. That's right, Houston doesn't get in, but their presence at 9-7 takes away our head to head win against Denver and makes it a conference record breaker. Now add the Titans at 9-7 as well and we're back in since the tiebreakers eliminate all but 1 team per division when breaking ties. So, Baltimore would get the 5 seed, then the tie breaker scenario is repeated. The Titans eliminate Houston on division record. Then head to head takes over as we beat both the Titans and Broncos we claim the #6 spot. If that's not enough, add Jax to the mix and we're back out as they and the Ravens would get the 2 spots.

With only 2 games left, there are so many combos I'm not sure who to cheer for. I do know Tennessee at 9-7 can't hurt us, so we should cheer for them to cancel out Houston. If Miami had beaten the Titans, we would be doing the same for them to cancel out the Jets.

Basically, I'm cheering for 2 wins and at least 1 loss from everybody else in the hunt and 2 losses for Baltimore. That, I know will get us in.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 12:33 AM
You're right, we lose tiebreakers with most of the other teams if they finish 9-7 with us, but I think there is a reasonable chance that 4 of those other teams aren't gonna make it to 9-7 because of who they have left to play. The only reason I mentioned a 3 way tie with us, the ravens and broncos was that was the mostly likely 3 teams IF we can win out. All the others have rough schedules against strong teams and aren't likely to win out. If the division leaders win the games they are favored in the rest of the way, we will have an opening.

johnnyribcage
12-21-2009, 12:52 AM
http://rosenblumtv.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/equations.jpg

Yes it can happen... hang on... I'm working on it.... hang on... almost got it.... just... umm....

Steelman16
12-21-2009, 12:54 AM
As Tomlin said, there's still a pulse left. :chuckle:

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 12:58 AM
http://rosenblumtv.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/equations.jpg

Yes it can happen... hang on... I'm working on it.... hang on... almost got it.... just... umm....

LOL it's not THAT crazy! LOL

SteelerEmpire
12-21-2009, 01:16 AM
The lightnings gonna have to strike just right for that one.... If we do it'll be by the "hair of our chinny, chin, chin's ".....

johnnyribcage
12-21-2009, 01:44 AM
WELL... just assuming it's a astronomically outside shot.... guess which Head and Shoulder's spokesman will be rejoining the team right about that time...

ricksteelers55
12-21-2009, 02:21 AM
can you guys actually believe that even with 5 consecutive losses with losses against raiders,chiefs and browns...and injuries to Smith and Troy we're still fighting for a playoff spot ?

SteelC7
12-21-2009, 02:53 AM
i llove that the same ppl that were crucifying the steelers last week, and saying the seasons over and we suck, are the same ppl who are saying keep hopes alive and, were goin to the playoffs and SB...so everybody calm down, obviously were the same defense that cant stop anybody, in the words of deion sanders on nfl network, "this is the WORST steeler defense i've ever seen." hes right, but hey that doesnt mean im not hopeful too, and didnt love the game today. it was a great game and i was on the edge of my seat the whole time, would be better than the SB drive if it won us anything except survival to next week. GO STEELERS!!!

LVSteelersfan
12-21-2009, 02:55 AM
It's a pretty crazy year. Who woulda thunk that th 0-6 Titans would even be in this conversation and that Denver could be on the outside looking in after starting 6-0. And we won 5 in a row and lost 5 in a row and are still in the hunt. This has been crazy. But as I keep saying I never, ever give up until we are totally eliminated. We have sneaked into the playoffs through the back door before.

Preacher
12-21-2009, 02:58 AM
WELL... just assuming it's a astronomically outside shot.... guess which Head and Shoulder's spokesman will be rejoining the team right about that time...

Only if that knee is good.

johnnyribcage
12-21-2009, 03:05 AM
Only if that knee is good.

well if it ain't we'll find out in a hurry (first or second quarter)... and... I ain't ready to jump on the playoff bandwagon yet anyway. Unless a very very tangible reality surfaces week 17 in Miami for a slot, I'd rather see him sit the rest of the year.

Galax Steeler
12-21-2009, 03:45 AM
Crazier things have happend who know if we can just play some football and win our games then we will see where that puts us.

Preacher
12-21-2009, 04:00 AM
well if it ain't we'll find out in a hurry (first or second quarter)... and... I ain't ready to jump on the playoff bandwagon yet anyway. Unless a very very tangible reality surfaces week 17 in Miami for a slot, I'd rather see him sit the rest of the year.

Absolutely agree.

He needs to sit until the first playoff game ATLEAST.... and that is if everything falls right for us.

At this point however, we have an outside, but realistic chance of making it. Well, of everything else falling right.

WE have to win two more...and that is more unrealistic IMO.

Bluedust
12-21-2009, 04:47 AM
can you guys actually believe that even with 5 consecutive losses with losses against raiders,chiefs and browns...and injuries to Smith and Troy we're still fighting for a playoff spot ?

Considering that means a 9 - 7 team can get into the playoffs I'd say it says more about the NFL than the Steelers.

NEWstevo
12-21-2009, 04:54 AM
I am not sure but...

The best the Steelers can do is 9-7, and 6-6 in the AFC.

Head to head only work with TWO teams. With more 3 or more teams at 9-7... the tie breaker goes to Conference record and the Broncos (if beat Oak) will edge out the Steelers.

Ravens in AFC: 7-5
Bronocs in AFC: 7-5

Steelers AFC: 6-6 ***WATCHING FROM HOME***

Like Joe Buck said... Pittsburgh will need help from NATO to get into the playoffs.

X-Terminator
12-21-2009, 05:54 AM
I am not sure but...

The best the Steelers can do is 9-7, and 6-6 in the AFC.

Head to head only work with TWO teams. With more 3 or more teams at 9-7... the tie breaker goes to Conference record and the Broncos (if beat Oak) will edge out the Steelers.

Ravens in AFC: 7-5
Bronocs in AFC: 7-5

Steelers AFC: 6-6 ***WATCHING FROM HOME***

Like Joe Buck said... Pittsburgh will need help from NATO to get into the playoffs.

First, the Broncos lost to Oakland. Second, if it came down to the Steelers and Broncos for the 6th seed, then head-to-head does come into play, and the Steelers would edge the Broncos out.

SteelersGirlTN7
12-21-2009, 06:55 AM
but if it came down to Broncos, Ravens, and Steelers in a 3 way tie .. then I think that means we're screwed... ?

Even though we beat Denver, when its a 3 way tie with 2 of the teams in one division, the division tie is cleared first, Ravens and Steelers tie AT ALL , and we lose ...

Vincent
12-21-2009, 07:06 AM
As Tomlin said, there's still a pulse left. :chuckle:

That's inspiring. Where did they find that brilliant young coach?

Dino 6 Rings
12-21-2009, 09:42 AM

man...you really hate Tomlin huh?

Its going to be a really long 10 years for you that's for sure.

jjpro11
12-21-2009, 09:56 AM
but if it came down to Broncos, Ravens, and Steelers in a 3 way tie .. then I think that means we're screwed... ?

Even though we beat Denver, when its a 3 way tie with 2 of the teams in one division, the division tie is cleared first, Ravens and Steelers tie AT ALL , and we lose ...

i don't think that's entirely true since there are 2 WC spots up for grabs rather than just one. for spot #5, the Ravens first would eliminate us, and then eliminate Denver since they beat them head-to-head. now the #6 spot is open with the Ravens out of the picture. we own the head-to-head tie-breaker over Denver, so we would get in over them.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 10:01 AM
OP is correct. We used to need quite a few borderline games to swing our way, plus a significant upset or (OAK defeating DEN or BAL would be best).

Thanks to MIA beating JAX last week and OAK beating DEN this week, aside from winning out, we don't need any games to be won by the team with the worse record in any remaining matchup.

This scenario is setup by highest winning percentage team wins:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=WinningPct

Now the only change needed for PIT in the playoffs is a win over BAL.

So there's still alot needed, but all are fairly likely.

jjpro11
12-21-2009, 10:11 AM
OP is correct. We used to need quite a few borderline games to swing our way, plus a significant upset or (OAK defeating DEN or BAL would be best).

Thanks to MIA beating JAX last week and OAK beating DEN this week, aside from winning out, we don't need any games to be won by the team with the worse record in any remaining matchup.

This scenario is setup by highest winning percentage team wins:

Now the only change needed for PIT in the playoffs is a win over BAL.

So there's still alot needed, but all are fairly likely.

we had some EXTREMELY good fortune last week. Colts coming back against Jacksonville late to win.. Falcons scoring their only TD on the final drive after playing like garbage on offense all game to defeat the Jets. Jamarcus Russell coming in for an injured Charlie Frye on the final drive of the game and leading the Raiders to the game TD over Denver in Denver (i still can't believe that one). and finally the Steelers winning with no time on the clock.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2009, 10:20 AM
At 9-7 we're OK in tiebreakers with the Broncos and Titans. We'll lose tiebreakers with the Ravens, Jets, Jaguars.

The Tiebreaker is first AFC division standings and the Steelers are currenly 4-6 in the Division. If the Steelers win out, the best they can be is 6-6 in the AFC.

Currently here are the other teams division records:
Ravens...6-4
Jags........6-4
Broncos..6-5
Titans.....4-7
Dolphins 5-5
Jets......... 5-5

Only the Titans have a worse division record than the Steelers at this point. I hate to rain on the parade, but playoffs ARE a really crazy idea. I think 2 of 3 wins vs. the Raiders, Chiefs or Browns losses would have made things a lock by now. :banging:

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 10:25 AM
The Tiebreaker is first AFC division standings and the Steelers are currenly 4-6 in the Division. If the Steelers win out, the best they can be is 6-6 in the AFC.

Currently here are the other teams division records:
Ravens...6-4
Jags........6-4
Broncos..6-5
Titans.....4-7
Dolphins 5-5
Jets......... 5-5

Only the Titans have a worse division record than the Steelers at this point. I hate to rain on the parade, but playoffs ARE a really crazy idea. I think 2 of 3 wins vs. the Raiders, Chiefs or Browns losses would have made things a lock by now. :banging:

Wrong.

Head to head is first. We'll have that tiebreaker over 3 of those 6 other teams. There's 2 spots available and not all 7 teams will end up 9-7.

Play around with this:

fansince'76
12-21-2009, 10:43 AM

He's not going anywhere anytime soon, so you might as well get used to it. The team is run by the Rooneys, not Dan Snyder.

JCPsteelers
12-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Actually not true.. If no one else finishes 9-7 and its just Denver, Balt and Pitt at 9-7. WE ARE IN..

Now if only Denver, Balt, Pitt and Houston finish 9-7- WE ARE OUT (DEN and BALT in)

Now if only Denver, Balt, Pitt, Houston and Tenn finish 9-7- WE ARE IN

If the Jets or Jags finish 9-7, we will need a lot of help (i.e. teams collapsing to 8-8)

So a key game under the radar this week is the Titans/SD game Christmas Day.. We would like the Titans to win just in case Houston runs the table.. (Titans would need to win in week 17 at Seattle also)

Need Jags, Broncos and Jets to lose this week.. :tt04: Pats playing to clinch division and Colts playing for perfection.. We don't want to be hoping for Week 17 losses especially since the Jags are at Cleveland and Cincy is at the Jets (and will be already locked in as a 3 or 4 seed which means they won't be playing all out with their top players)

Best case scenario for us this week on the importance scale.
1. Steelers win
2. Jags lose to Pats
3. Broncos lose at Eagles
4. Jets lose at Colts
5. Texans lose at Dolphins
6..Titans win (not important if the Texans lose)

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah - if SD beats the Titans - Miami better beat Houston.

Thankfully, the Patriots can't throw the final game to screw the Steelers (unless they don't mind being the 4 seed instead of the 3 seed.)

madtowndrunkard
12-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Call me a party pooper are what ever you want....but fact of the matter is thinking about the playoffs with this team is not only crazy. It's mentally retarded.

We just snapped a 5 game losing streak by beating an over rated Packers team in the last second at home. Put our defense on the field against Indy or NE and I have a feeling the out come would not be so nice.

I love my steelers as much as the next guy but I can at least be honest. This team has serious issues.

JCPsteelers
12-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Call me a party pooper are what ever you want....but fact of the matter is thinking about the playoffs with this team is not only crazy. It's mentally retarded.

We just snapped a 5 game losing streak by beating an over rated Packers team in the last second at home. Put our defense on the field against Indy or NE and I have a feeling the out come would not be so nice.

I love my steelers as much as the next guy but I can at least be honest. This team has serious issues.

All the teams have issues and we aren't playing Indy or NE (who would have trouble stopping our offense) in the next two weeks..

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
We have issues, and NE doesn't ???

Puh-lease.

fansince'76
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM

I think NE is going to get knocked out quickly due to the same glaring problem we have, namely a porous secondary (and they have NO pass rush - at least we can generate pressure on occasion). But I agree with everything else you said.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Wrong.

Head to head is first. We'll have that tiebreaker over 3 of those 6 other teams. There's 2 spots available and not all 7 teams will end up 9-7.

Play around with this:

I checked the NFL site and here is what I got. I think by division they mean AFC North, so I think its just between us and the Ravens for that. Otherwise you may be right that its head to head.

I thought I saw on CBS or ESPN that they were saying it was total conference record, so I think they must be mistaken. We may have a better shot than I thought.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1.If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2.If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
-Head-to-head, if applicable.
-Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
-Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
-Strength of victory.
-Strength of schedule.
-Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
-Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
-Best net points in conference games.
-Best net points in all games.
-Best net touchdowns in all games.
-Coin toss.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

steelreserve
12-21-2009, 11:34 AM

So? It may come as news to you, but the teams in front of us for the wild card are not very good either.

Unless you think the Broncos or the Jets are the kind of unstoppable powerhouse you apparently demand of a playoff contender, we're just as deserving to be in the mix as anyone else.

madtowndrunkard
12-21-2009, 11:46 AM
We have issues, and NE doesn't ???

Puh-lease.

Our issues are a little different then NEs. We lost to Oakland, Cleveland, and KC on a 5 game losing streak.

not quite the same.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 11:59 AM
I checked the NFL site and here is what I got. I think by division they mean AFC North, so I think its just between us and the Ravens for that. Otherwise you may be right that its head to head.

I thought I saw on CBS or ESPN that they were saying it was total conference record, so I think they must be mistaken. We may have a better shot than I thought.

The goofy thing that complicates matters is that they first eliminate all teams except the best from each division - then they apply the tiebreakers to those that remain. After the winner of the #5 seed is determined, they throw all those teams back in and repeat. So, even if there are 7 teams at 9-7, there can only be 4 teams (1 from each division) that will advance through the tiebreaker process for each WC spot.

That's why if Baltimore is in the mix, they'll eliminate us (better AFC North record) - then they proceed to the tiebreakers. Thankfully they are in a good position to snag the #5. If they don't, they would enter the #6 tiebreaker as the AFC North representative a second time and Pittsburgh would never really get an opportunity to get into the mix.

That's why the Titans winning out could actually help us. They would have a better division record than Houston, so once they lost the #5 tiebreaker to the Ravens, they will still be the team that we would face in the tiebreakers for #6. Houston's better Conf. record than the Steelers would never come into play. We'd win the head-to-head vs the Titans and that would be the end of it.

But you're right - if it ends up going to Conference record, we're screwed. It just is pretty likely that it never will.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Our issues are a little different then NEs. We lost to Oakland, Cleveland, and KC on a 5 game losing streak.

not quite the same.

And we beat San Diego, Minnesota, Green Bay.

Which three are we most likely to meet in the playoffs, yours or mine?

steelreserve
12-21-2009, 12:05 PM

not quite the same.

We also beat the Chargers, Vikings and Broncos on a 5-game winning streak.

I'm not saying that guarantees success, but it does prove that over the course of three games, anything can happen. Things looked a lot more bleak 10 days ago, but given the events of the past few days, I'm not ready to give up until we're mathematically eliminated. I don't know why you're so eager to write off our remaining chances right now (will it REALLY be that satisfying if you're right?) but I'm not.

steelcity1974
12-21-2009, 12:06 PM
The most difficult part of making the playoffs is winning out. There's a 75-80% chance of other teams losing as we need them to. The biggest question is can we win our final 2 games? I think we will beat the Ravens and it will come down to a win we're in game vs. Dolphins. After losing back to back to the Raiders and Browns, I can't believe we have such a good chance to make the playoffs.

madtowndrunkard
12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
And we beat San Diego, Minnesota, Green Bay.

Which three are we most likely to meet in the playoffs, yours or mine?

We were a totally different team when we beat the Chargers and Vikings.

Now we are just trying to figure out how to win a game. Beating the Packers in the closing seconds is a good start, but to talk about playoffs is just ridiculous.

Talk to me in two weeks if we actually beat the Ravens and Miami. Until then lets not act like idiots.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Talk to me in two weeks if we actually beat the Ravens and Miami. Until then lets not act like idiots.

I've got no desire to talk to you about the playoffs. If you don't want to talk about the playoffs, check the thread title before entering. Try and avoid those that mention "playoffs".

Nadroj 20
12-21-2009, 12:21 PM
We were a totally different team when we beat the Chargers and Vikings.

Now we are just trying to figure out how to win a game. Beating the Packers in the closing seconds is a good start, but to talk about playoffs is just ridiculous.

LOL why is it just ridiculus?, no matter what your answer is fact of the matter is the steelers have a shot and until they are eliminated then the "talk" about playoffs is fine :thumbsup:

Also your saying lets not act like idiots....what? i dont get how looking at something that is VERY possible for a team someone supports can make them acting like an idiot.....not a cool statement.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 12:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=41015155&15=50001041&16=55145515

Okay folks...deep breath. Check out this link (thanks to Preacher)...it shows a playoff scenario generator. If the Steelers, Ravens and Broncos finish in a 3 way tie at 9-7 DENVER IS OUT (obviously we have to win out...which brings the ravens down. Denver plays the Eagles...that should take care of them) All of the other 7-7 teams have a tough game that they will likely lose. (if in doubt, check the beginning of this thread)

Jmat
12-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes the playoffs are a crazy idea.

A team needs some semblance of a defense to make and be successful in the playoffs. The Steelers don't have that this year in case you haven't been paying attention.

Nadroj 20
12-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Yes the playoffs are a crazy idea.

A team needs some semblance of a defense to make and be successful in the playoffs. The Steelers don't have that this year in case you haven't been paying attention.

This thread isnt about the Steelers D its about our chances of making the playoffs and in case you havent been watching we HAVE a chance.

The D needs to step up yea, but IMO its fine to think about the playoffs until we are eliminated.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
I've got no desire to talk to you about the playoffs. If you don't want to talk about the playoffs, check the thread title before entering. Try and avoid those that mention "playoffs".

:rofl:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 02:35 PM

See my Avatar. One game at a time.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM
BF,
It's understood that we have to win these 2 games.
Having said that, everything is leaning towards a #6 berth for us. If things unfold as they're likely to, we're in.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 05:18 PM

I'd rather the Steelers play two games at a time and end them at halftime.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
I'd rather the Steelers play two games at a time and end them at halftime.

LOL Man!...wouldn't THAT be sweet! We'd be right there undeated with the Colts.