PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Beat The Officials In This Game

solardave
12-21-2009, 03:12 AM
When they didn't call holding against Harrison in the first quarter,Packers score a TD.
On the TD run by Ryan Grant there was another holding call not made. In the fourth quarter Hines was mugged by Woodsen and that wasn't called. Funny though, they didn't miss a single call against the Steelers.

johnnyribcage
12-21-2009, 03:26 AM
When they didn't call holding against Harrison in the first quarter...

:old: I remember the last time they called an opposing team for holding Harrison! I was, well let's see, nigh on two score and a fortnight yonder... :old: Yep, you t'wernt nothin but a twinkle in yer mammy's hope chest. Heh heh, yessir, them was the good ole days! :old:

Preacher
12-21-2009, 03:27 AM
When they didn't call holding against Harrison in the first quarter,Packers score a TD.
On the TD run by Ryan Grant there was another holding call not made. In the fourth quarter Hines was mugged by Woodsen and that wasn't called. Funny though, they didn't miss a single call against the Steelers.

Actually, they DID miss a couple calls against the Steelers.

It was actually a very well called game all said and done.

johnnyribcage
12-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Actually, they DID miss a couple calls against the Steelers.

It was actually a very well called game all said and done.

It was pretty fairly called. They would miss one on the Packers, give it right back on the Steelers, etc.... Plus most of the calls were blatant. Can't get upset anymore about Harrison, he gets held to one degree or another on damn near every play and it usually goes unpunished, which I think is fairly typical of the leagues best OLB's

Galax Steeler
12-21-2009, 03:39 AM
They were missed calls on both sides of the ball but they do seem to miss alot on Harrison.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-21-2009, 08:55 AM
We have been called before for that penalty against Miller on the TD run and it's a ticky tacky call.

I also thought that one of the holds they called was the player fell down and our guy fell on top of him nothing more than that.

And I agree that Hines was mugged but only time he got the call was when he was knocked down.

IMHO it did seem they called us for more questionable calls than they did the pack.

zulater
12-23-2009, 07:02 AM
The Steelers were the benificiaries of the biggest blown call of the game. The inexplicable reversal of the called fumble of Ben's. That's total misuse of the replay system ( on the booth's part) and if I'm a Packers's fan I'm spitting mad about it. In all honesty I thought Tomlin blew it by even challenging the play, I was wrong on that I suppose. But I still don't think that's the sort of play that should be getting reversed.

plenewken
12-23-2009, 07:07 AM
The Steelers were the benificiaries of the biggest blown call of the game. The inexplicable reversal of the called fumble of Ben's. That's total misuse of the replay system ( on the booth's part) and if I'm a Packers's fan I'm spitting mad about it. In all honesty I thought Tomlin blew it by even challenging the play, I was wrong on that I suppose. But I still don't think that's the sort of play that should be getting reversed.

I agree. There was nothing in the replay to reverse the initial call but hey, we'll take all the breaks we're given at this point.

zulater
12-23-2009, 07:10 AM
I agree. There was nothing in the replay to reverse the initial call but hey, we'll take all the breaks we're given at this point.

Oh I'm cool with it, because it helped us. But this gives me equity the next time I moan when the steelers are on the receiving end of the reversal and someone accuses me of being a homer. :wink02::flap:

Seriously I can't stand moaning about the officials, it's so Holmgren like. :doh:

steelcity1974
12-23-2009, 08:12 AM
It goes both ways, but Steelers eyes will never see the ones the refs miss on the other side. Quit pissing and moaning like Seahawks or Cardinals fans.

fansince'76
12-23-2009, 08:16 AM
We get effed constantly by the officials, but so does everyone else. NFL officiating sucks, it always has sucked and it probably will continue to do so, but it sucks for everyone. That's why it gets so tiresome to hear people whine about the officials.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 08:21 AM
The Ben Non-Fumble was exactly like the first Non-Fumble Warner had in the Super Bowl. Called a fumble, reversed on replay because the arm was coming forward.

Anyone else watch the replay last night on NFL Network? I loved watching Carter get beat time and time again.

solardave
12-23-2009, 08:22 AM
It goes both ways, but Steelers eyes will never see the ones the refs miss on the other side. Quit pissing and moaning like Seahawks or Cardinals fans.

Why don't you post a few more times before you start judging me.jerkit

solardave
12-23-2009, 08:24 AM
We have been called before for that penalty against Miller on the TD run and it's a ticky tacky call.

I also thought that one of the holds they called was the player fell down and our guy fell on top of him nothing more than that.

And I agree that Hines was mugged but only time he got the call was when he was knocked down.

IMHO it did seem they called us for more questionable calls than they did the pack.

Thanks. I get called a whinner for calling it the way it is.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Pass interference penalties need to be reviewable, or at least, changed to 20 yard penalties. I'm tired of seeing the 50 yard penalties for pass interference on deep pass plays. Half the time I think the QBs are actually going for the penalty over the play.

stillers4me
12-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Pass interference penalties need to be reviewable, or at least, changed to 20 yard penalties. I'm tired of seeing the 50 yard penalties for pass interference on deep pass plays. Half the time I think the QBs are actually going for the penalty over the play.

10 yards would be plenty. Dumb rule.

SteelMember
12-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Funny.

There's a thread in the football section stating this very thing.

The funny part is that it was a Packers fan claiming WE benefited. :doh:

I thought it was pretty even.

Some officials are good, and some officials are bad. Getting an entire crew of good ones, is almost impossible.
You can't get too caught up in it. Just keep playing.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-23-2009, 08:37 AM

You gotta be freakin' kidding me the worst call of the game??? Worst call of the game was the one on Heath Miller that negated a touchdown and we ended up coming out with only a field goal.

Hey we overcame it and that's all that matters in the long run, just wish they would call the holding calls against Harrison a couple times if they are going to call it against us.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 08:37 AM
anyone who tries to say the Steelers get the calls needs to review the tape of the "holding" call made in our own endzone in the Super Bowl on a basically game winning play for a first down, that resulted in a safety for the Cards and them getting the ball back. That was the biggest freaking call of the game, bottom line, and it went against the Steelers.

In watching the replay last night, there was a huge 3rd down conversion made to Health Miller on the near sideline for the first down, and the Ref signaled for the clock to stop...I question whether Heath was really out of bounds when he landed, so we may have gotten one there, at least in regards to the Stoppage of the clock on that last drive.

Woodson pretty much mugged receivers the entire game, sorry but if that's how he's having a "pro bowl" type year I'm not impessed. Tired of our receivers being held down field, that's a killer when you're running longer routes. And that linebacker was just jacking up our receivers down the field at least 8 yards off the ball, at least they called the one on the last drive where he planted Ward into the turf. Especially since the illegal contact lead to an interception. Imagine if they don't make that call.

plenewken
12-23-2009, 08:40 AM
I just wish they would call the holding calls against Harrison a couple times if they are going to call it against us.

+1 on that. There are holdings on him pretty much all the time.

stillers4me
12-23-2009, 08:44 AM
There's also been alot of holding going on in every one of the kick return TD's against us this year. Every single one of them could have been called back, but they weren't.

steelpride12
12-23-2009, 08:44 AM
It has happened since last season against the Steelers and the holding calls on Harrison are so in-frequently called when I see it happen I just ignore it and move on.
Officials suck its just part of the game and in the NFL season after season. What can us as fans truly do, but the Packers game was called pretty fair except for the usual Harrison holds it went both ways.

fansince'76
12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
anyone who tries to say the Steelers get the calls needs to review the tape of the "holding" call made in our own endzone in the Super Bowl on a basically game winning play for a first down, that resulted in a safety for the Cards and them getting the ball back. That was the biggest freaking call of the game, bottom line, and it went against the Steelers.

That's just it - nobody knows what constitutes a hold anymore. You noticed fatboy Madden didn't say anything about that call, but remarked that "that didn't look like a hold to me!" about this one:

lcTm9PPdT3I

So, yeah, Hartwig getting trucked over by a defender without laying a hand on him and the defender tripping over him is a hold, but Locklear getting a fistful of Haggans' jersey and yanking backwards wasn't. Due to this example, among many others, the idiots in the booth (many of whom, as far as I'm concerned, have a rabid anti-Steelers bias - in Madden's case it was a 35-year+ case of butthurt over the Immaculate Reception) are just as responsible as anybody for all the whiners crying that "DA ROONEYS PAYED OFF DA REFS!," especially when their bias is on display to a billion+ people, many of whom are casual fans who don't know dick about the game.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 08:51 AM
It has happened since last season against the Steelers and the holding calls on Harrison are so in-frequently called when I see it happen I just ignore it and move on.
Officials suck its just part of the game and in the NFL season after season. What can us as fans truly do, but the Packers game was called pretty fair except for the usual Harrison holds it went both ways.

Is it because he's so much shorter than the tackles that they almost have to neck hook him every times so the officials pretty much won't call it unless there is a jersey pull as well? (which, there was a jersey pull on the Packers huge TD Pass that wasn't called, to go along with the neck hook)

And didn't we actually get called for a holding that was exactly a Neck Hook that used by every single Tackle that lines up against Harrison?

I'm pretty sure the tackles are being told by their coaches, "Look, unless they call this early, do it as often as you have to, its the only way to slow the guy down and the refs haven't been calling it." It comes from the film from last season. Sure, once in a blue moon there is a holding call against the tackle "blocking" him, but really, there could be a yellow flag on 9 of the 10 times he is blitzing.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 08:57 AM
That's just it - nobody knows what constitutes a hold anymore. You noticed fatboy Madden didn't say anything about that call, but remarked that "that didn't look like a hold to me!" about this one:

lcTm9PPdT3I

So, yeah, Hartwig getting trucked over by a defender without laying a hand on him and the defender tripping over him is a hold, but Locklear getting a fistful of Haggans' jersey and yanking backwards wasn't. For this reason, among many others, the idiots in the booth (many of whom, as far as I'm concerned, have a rabid anti-Steelers bias - in Madden's case it was a 35-year+ case of butthurt over the Immaculate Reception) are just as responsible as anybody for all the whiners crying that "DA ROONEYS PAYED OFF DA REFS!," especially when their bias is on display to a billion+ people, many of whom are casual fans who don't know dick about the game.

My work server won't let me view the video but I get the idea of what you're saying. And both Madden and Collinsworth both have clear hatred for the Steelers. I've pointed out that Collinsworth wears a tie with the opposing team's color every time he calls a Steelers game. And Madden still says he's pissed about the immaculate reception. Still. That's one of the problems with letting former players or coaches call games. You think Bettis would be fair in a game between the Patriots and the Steelers? Really? Or maybe Terry Bradshaw should call a Steelers Cowboys game. Or maybe we should have Franco Harris call a Steelers Oakland game and see how "fair" they call the game.

I mean, Really, the Immaculate reception is one of the most popular, controversial, exciting, and important plays in the history of the game, yet we are going to assume that the coach that came up on the short end of that play is going to be fair in his calling of the game involving that team? Really?

BigBen'sSwagger
12-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Collinsworth wears a tie of the opposing teams collors??? Really never noticed that, but now I will keep an eye out for it.

How bout aikman and buck...they blathered on for a good 20 to 30 minutes about the onside kick. Get over it already. I can't stand those two on any level it doesn't even have to be a Steeler game they are just down right annoying.

fansince'76
12-23-2009, 09:04 AM
My work server won't let me view the video but I get the idea of what you're saying. And both Madden and Collinsworth both have clear hatred for the Steelers. I've pointed out that Collinsworth wears a tie with the opposing team's color every time he calls a Steelers game. And Madden still says he's pissed about the immaculate reception. Still. That's one of the problems with letting former players or coaches call games. You think Bettis would be fair in a game between the Patriots and the Steelers? Really? Or maybe Terry Bradshaw should call a Steelers Cowboys game. Or maybe we should have Franco Harris call a Steelers Oakland game and see how "fair" they call the game.

I mean, Really, the Immaculate reception is one of the most popular, controversial, exciting, and important plays in the history of the game, yet we are going to assume that the coach that came up on the short end of that play is going to be fair in his calling of the game involving that team? Really?

The coup de grace of this last SB for me was having the Walrus as a guest commentator. Yep, real unbiased there.

fansince'76
12-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Collinsworth wears a tie of the opposing teams collors??? Really never noticed that, but now I will keep an eye out for it.

How bout aikman and buck...they blathered on for a good 20 to 30 minutes about the onside kick. Get over it already. I can't stand those two on any level it doesn't even have to be a Steeler game they are just down right annoying.

Or the commentary for the Vikings' game (don't recall who the announcers were at the moment) -

After the call on Heath's "pick" which nullified a TD for us: "Hmmm...don't know about that one."

After the tripping call against the Pack which nullified a TD for them: "BAD CALL! BAD CALL! BAD CALL! BAD CALL! BAD CALL!"

It's ridiculous.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Or the commentary for the Vikings' game (don't recall who the announcers were at the moment) -

After the call on Heath's "pick" which nullified a TD for us: "Hmmm...don't know about that one."

After the tripping call against the Pack which nullified a TD for them: "BAD CALL! BAD CALL! BAD CALL! BAD CALL! BAD CALL!"

It's ridiculous.

Wasn't that the idiot from the lions...Matt Millen??? Could be wrong but for some reason I think it was.

They say the mind is the 2nd thing to go...right???

Steeldude
12-23-2009, 09:27 AM

IMO, his arm was going forward when hit.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Oh god, Matt Millen drives me insane, I hate that guy calling games. Even non-Steelers games.

He called the Browns game, the entire time he kept saying "The Browns are playing Playoff Football tonight!" And I was like, No arse Hole, the Steelers are in a funk, and its a Rivalry game and that's the kind of thing that happens in Rivalry games, but nope, he kept on harping on it. Tried to watch a game he called this past weekend too, might have been the Dallas Saints game? Not sure, whichever it was he was gawd awful!

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 09:33 AM

Yes he does. He wore Baby Blue for the Titans Steelers season opener and think it was Purple for the Ravens game he called as well. He's awfully biased against us. Even on his inside the NFL picks he would almost never pick us at all, until late in the season last year when he finally said "I can't pick against that defense anymore" but then didn't call a pick for the SB because he was somehow "involved" in the broadcast and he wasn't allowed to. But still, he hates us. Total hatred.

I don't mind Aikman and Buck actually, of all the duos, they are one of the better ones that call national games. Aikman does a fair job evaluating the plays and players and Buck has a good eye for the game. And guess what, that onside kick, was questionable at the time, and they wouldn't have been doing their jobs if they didn't address it. So I don't mind those two guys.

Billeck calls a good game too, and usually is calling NFC Games or non-Raven related games.

Oh and I like Gruden, and he calls out refs when they make bad calls or lack of calls.

fansince'76
12-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes he does. He wore Baby Blue for the Titans Steelers season opener and think it was Purple for the Ravens game he called as well. He's awfully biased against us. Even on his inside the NFL picks he would almost never pick us at all, until late in the season last year when he finally said "I can't pick against that defense anymore" but then didn't call a pick for the SB because he was somehow "involved" in the broadcast and he wasn't allowed to. But still, he hates us. Total hatred.

I don't mind the hatred as I can understand it and neither he or his former team are favorites of mine either, but when the hatred bleeds into his commentary and manifests itself as a clear bias as it invariably does when he's calling a game we're playing in (and as it always did with Madden), it pisses me off.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't mind the hatred as I can understand it and neither he or his former team are favorites of mine either, but when the hatred bleeds into his commentary and manifests itself as a clear bias as it invariably does when he's calling a game we're playing in (and as it always did with Madden), it pisses me off.

whats killer, and related to the initial heart of this thread, is the fact that the commentary can lead into the fans perception of the game. If an announcer is saying, great call, on a great call, then the fans for the most part won't pisss and moan about it on Monday, but when a guy like Madden starts calling holding on Steelers players, but turns around and says the other teams wasn't holding or that the Steelers are getting all the calls, well that perception bleeds into the fans minds as legitimate because of the respect a guy like Madden gets from the fans and national pundets. So he can pretty much, make it seem like the Steelers get all the calls, when the reality isn't that way at all.

And I'm still waiting for someone to show me the bad call in XL besides the 15 yarder against Hasslebeck on the INT when he went low on the blocker but missed and actually made the tackle, that call was bad, but otherwise, Ben scored, the reciever did in fact Push off, and the Right Tackle was Holding.

fansince'76
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
And I'm still waiting for someone to show me the bad call in XL besides the 15 yarder against Hasslebeck on the INT when he went low on the blocker but missed and actually made the tackle, that call was bad, but otherwise, Ben scored, the reciever did in fact Push off, and the Right Tackle was Holding.

Another great moment from XL: at halftime of that game, Cokehead Irvin (who turned pushing off into an art form) claimed that Jackson didn't push off. :rolleyes:

CanadianSteel
12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
The reversal and call of incompleted pass was the right call as the rule is written - see Tuck rule - as Mathews missed swatting the ball in his initail attempt and when he finally made contact unfortuntely for him Ben's arm had started to come forward....

Not sayig I agree with te rule bit it was called correctly -which I was actually a little surprised about.

Also sick of the Homer NFC Fox announcers..... wow are they bad and biased when doig te Steeler games..

zulater
12-23-2009, 09:58 AM
You gotta be freakin' kidding me the worst call of the game??? Worst call of the game was the one on Heath Miller that negated a touchdown and we ended up coming out with only a field goal.

Hey we overcame it and that's all that matters in the long run, just wish they would call the holding calls against Harrison a couple times if they are going to call it against us.

That call was completely legit. It was a good play call, and almost perfectly executed, but almost is the key word here. Heath engaged the defender less than a second before the completion, so the call was correct.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-23-2009, 09:59 AM

I don't mind Aikman and Buck actually, of all the duos, they are one of the better ones that call national games. Aikman does a fair job evaluating the plays and players and Buck has a good eye for the game. And guess what, that onside kick, was questionable at the time, and they wouldn't have been doing their jobs if they didn't address it. So I don't mind those two guys.

Billeck calls a good game too, and usually is calling NFC Games or non-Raven related games.

Oh and I like Gruden, and he calls out refs when they make bad calls or lack of calls.

I don't care if it was a questionable call or not they need to try to see it from both sides and besides that I don't need to hear about it all damn game long. They went over the top with it just like they did when Moss fake mooned the crowd. The way they went on you would think the NFL world was going to rot in hell for this. Nope I can't stand either one of em.

I don't mind Gruden

Collinsworthless, I completely discount him he's worthless as an analys and as an announcer, but I will start noticing his ties now.

zulater
12-23-2009, 10:03 AM

In watching the replay last night, there was a huge 3rd down conversion made to Health Miller on the near sideline for the first down, and the Ref signaled for the clock to stop...I question whether Heath was really out of bounds when he landed, so we may have gotten one there, at least in regards to the Stoppage of the clock on that last drive.

Woodson pretty much mugged receivers the entire game, sorry but if that's how he's having a "pro bowl" type year I'm not impessed. Tired of our receivers being held down field, that's a killer when you're running longer routes. And that linebacker was just jacking up our receivers down the field at least 8 yards off the ball, at least they called the one on the last drive where he planted Ward into the turf. Especially since the illegal contact lead to an interception. Imagine if they don't make that call.

I don't claim the Steelers get the calls, nor do I claim they get screwed by the calls. Some games you might have a disparity either way, but lamost always things even out in the end.

My experience is if you take a room full of passionate fans, half root for team A, half root for team B at the end of the game you'll get a majority of both sets of fans to claim that both the announcers and refs had it in for them. :chuckle:

BigBen'sSwagger
12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
That call was completely legit. It was a good play call, and almost perfectly executed, but almost is the key word here. Heath engaged the defender less than a second before the completion, so the call was correct.

I will have to go back and look at it but if the ball is in the air going to another reciever and he blocks a split second to soon that sounds ticky tack to me. IMHO

zulater
12-23-2009, 10:09 AM
I will have to go back and look at it but if the ball is in the air going to another reciever and he blocks a split second to soon that sounds ticky tack to me. IMHO

No more so than the push off that was called against the Squaks in SB XL, which was also a legitmate call.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-23-2009, 10:29 AM
No more so than the push off that was called against the Squaks in SB XL, which was also a legitmate call.

BS they are not the same. the ball was coming to the reciever in SB XL and he pushed off to create space, miller was blocking for a reciever totally different.

zulater
12-23-2009, 10:42 AM
BS they are not the same. the ball was coming to the reciever in SB XL and he pushed off to create space, miller was blocking for a reciever totally different.

A "receiver" who didn't have the ball yet because the ball had yet to leave the qb's hand, thus offensive pass interference.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 10:50 AM
It was interference on Miller, he engaged the D back prior to the pass being completed, and that's not allowed. He'd have been better not using his hands at first and maybe doing a "pick" type play with a chest to chest contact but not with the hands, once his hands went to the inside of the DB's chest and he engaged to block, it was illegal because the ball was not yet caught so it was illegal. It was a legit call against Heath, sometimes you get away with that type of thing, especially on screens like that play was designed to be, it was a bubble type screen to the RB, usually you can get away with early downfield blocking on a play designed that way, but it is still a good call because it did in fact go against the rules. The replay from the endzone perspective shows him engage clearly before the ball is caught.

solardave
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
IMO, his arm was going forward when hit.

It was!

solardave
12-23-2009, 12:09 PM

NFL replay even showed Tomlin on the sideline commenting that if Heath just runs through the block they wouldn't call holding. It was pass interference.

markymarc
12-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Actually I would love to see the officials focus on calling the offensive pick move more. But since they are all about scoring in the NFL now, it won't happen. The offensive pick move is used very often in every single game and is barely called.

Jmat
12-23-2009, 12:49 PM
If you ever read other teams message boards you'll learn that the only reason the Steelers ever win games and Super Bowls in because the Refs and the League love us.

Mike Holmgren is responsible for much of the fans whining about how the refs love the Steelers.

Funny thing is that you never hear the whining about the Refs when the Steelers lose.

fansince'76
12-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Funny thing is that you never hear the whining about the Refs when the Steelers lose.

Probably because Steelers fans by and large aren't a bunch of gutless pussies and tend to blame the Steelers themselves for losses instead of everyone else.

zulater
12-23-2009, 11:22 PM
It was!

Yeah and if the exact same thing happened only it was Rogers getting hit and Woodley doing the hitting you'd be singing an entirely different tune this week. :chuckle:

steelerzfannforever
12-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Actually there was.....I recorded the game and watched the play over and over. If you watch Bens arm very closely, there was just a slight movement of forward motion a split second before he was hit. Im sure that is what the official saw as well...replay did its job because it was the right call.

steel striker
12-24-2009, 05:56 PM

I agree plus I think Aikman is a know steeler hater from way back. To be honest I'd rather turn the tv annoucers off and, Listen to Bill Hillgrove & Tunch.

Bng_Hevn
12-24-2009, 07:17 PM
They were missed calls on both sides of the ball but they do seem to miss alot on Harrison.

I was watching NFLN and the reason why calls are not made on Harrison is b/c of his style of play + his height.

Because he is shorter than most OLinemen he lines up against, when he dips his shoulders the OLineman "hooks his neck" and it looks like holding.

Accurate or not, that's the reason.

AllD
12-24-2009, 07:23 PM
I am watching the 1982 NFC Championship with "The Catch" and the Cowboys got called for a hold as a 49er LBer was closing in on Danny White. It was a combination hold/block in the back. Something that rarely gets called on pass rushers today.

The game has evolved. What I would lobby for would be the elimination of the grounding rule. The would in effect protect the QB better than all the other rules.