PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall

Galax Steeler
12-21-2009, 04:18 AM
I think we need to give Mendenhall some props in the win over the Packers. I know he didn't have but 34 yards rushing but he added six catches for 73 yards. It just seems like he is getting better and better with each game. He stayed on his feet and fought off tackles to get his touchdown. He is going to be a beast for years to come.:tt04:

cakmakli
12-21-2009, 05:41 AM
I think we need to give Mendenhall some props in the win over the Packers. I know he didn't have but 34 yards rushing but he added six catches for 73 yards. It just seems like he is getting better and better with each game. He stayed on his feet and fought off tackles to get his touchdown. He is going to be a beast for years to come.:tt04:

I agree 100% but only if they will turn him loose and let him do his thing.

Vincent
12-21-2009, 06:52 AM

That sounds like a cheap shot at the coaches. Yer not allowed to criticize the coaches round here. :chuckle:

redst3
12-21-2009, 07:04 AM
I like how he catches out of the backfield. Kind of reminds me of Franco in a general sort of way

4xSBChamps
12-21-2009, 07:16 AM
I know he didn't have but 34 yards rushing but he added six catches for 73 yards. It just seems like he is getting better and better with each game. He stayed on his feet and fought off tackles

I watched the game at a local sports-bar, sitting with a seemingly-intelligent & courteous Packer fan, and we had a good time watching & commenting on the game:
when it was over, he was surprised that Mendenhall had so-few yards, said he was a tough back, and surprised he hadn't been used more

WH
12-21-2009, 07:53 AM
I like how he catches out of the backfield. Kind of reminds me of Franco in a general sort of way

I would think very Brian Westbrook-ish.

steelcity1974
12-21-2009, 08:12 AM
I watched the game at a local sports-bar, sitting with a seemingly-intelligent & courteous Packer fan, and we had a good time watching & commenting on the game:
when it was over, he was surprised that Mendenhall had so-few yards, said he was a tough back, and surprised he hadn't been used more

Did you ask him to mention that to Bruce Arians?

solardave
12-21-2009, 08:29 AM

I agree with you both. This guy needs the ball in his hands early and often.

steelerchad
12-21-2009, 08:34 AM
He's actually making Moore expendable as a 3rd down back. This guy looks like he can play everydown. Now that he is showing he can catch out of the backfield and pick up blitzes on he's a better 3rd down option. I think for next year Parker is gone, unless he's willing to accept a lesser role and the lesser pay that comes with it and Moore is depth and a change of pace every once in a while.

4xSBChamps
12-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Did you ask him to mention that to Bruce Arians?

"..... Ben..... I've been meaning to ask ya.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/RoethlisbergerArians.jpg

..... whadaya think about Mendenhall, lining-up at Tight End?"

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Isnt this the same guy that fans were calling a bust in September??? A scatback with only 1 year of college experience as a starter?? A wasted pick???

Back on the bandwagon everybody!!! :kick:

WH
12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Isnt this the same guy that fans were calling a bust in September???

Sweed?

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Isnt this the same guy that fans were calling a bust in September??? A scatback with only 1 year of college experience as a starter?? A wasted pick???

Oh yeah, I remember that. Redman is the future!!:blah::blah::blah:

SteelerFanInStl
12-21-2009, 11:12 AM
He's actually making Moore expendable as a 3rd down back. This guy looks like he can play everydown. Now that he is showing he can catch out of the backfield and pick up blitzes on he's a better 3rd down option. I think for next year Parker is gone, unless he's willing to accept a lesser role and the lesser pay that comes with it and Moore is depth and a change of pace every once in a while.

:iagree: I'd like to see Mendenhall kept in the game on 3rd down. He's a more dangerous weapon than MeMo.

casteeler
12-21-2009, 12:06 PM
i like the swing pass to moore on 3rd and 5 he's good at getting extra yardage

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that. Redman is the future!!:blah::blah::blah:

LOL...Mendenhall has the "suddenness and glide" that some on the board didn't think he had.

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 12:20 PM
LOL...Mendenhall has the "suddenness and glide" that some on the board didn't think he had.

So true! :flap:

Indo
12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I, for one, always thought that he had suddenness and glide. To that, however, i would add perspicacity

stlrtruck
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I say forget the props and just give him the ball a lot more.

It seems to me that we've got the personnel to be successful on the ground but they aren't being utilized properly.

psusteelers4life
12-21-2009, 05:20 PM
I am a Mendy fan he can only become deadlier as his years go on when given the chance . I do like the spin move but I wish he would put his head down and go instead of trying to juke in the open field like he does sometimes. Get your yards when you can. I think he has a bright future!

JEFF4i
12-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Rashard is a funny back. And he's one of my favorite Steelers for it.

He's got speed,not FWP speed, not CJ speed, but he's still quick. He's got strength, not Bus strength, but as we've seen he has the strength and drive to keep his legs moving. In one of the games they said he's a little bit of everything, and it makes him great.

He's not a power back, or a breakout, but it seems like he can do it all.

Preacher
12-21-2009, 11:07 PM

LOL.

September? They were calling him a bust in the offseason.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2009, 12:30 AM
LOL.

September? They were calling him a bust in the offseason.

Yeah, but remember late september he got benched for "not knowing his details" and the Steelers "faithfully fickle" were already calling him a bust??

Personally, I thought he was the 2nd best RB his draft year for the NFL game. I thought Jonathan Stewart, Mendenhall, Forte, McFadden had game in that order. I thought McFadden was going to be Reggie Bush lite. I also thought that Chris Johnson was too light to run between the tackles.................guess I missed that one big time!!! :doh:

markymarc
12-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Personally, I thought he was the 2nd best RB his draft year for the NFL game. I thought Jonathan Stewart, Mendenhall, Forte, McFadden had game in that order. I thought McFadden was going to be Reggie Bush lite. I also thought that Chris Johnson was too light to run between the tackles.................guess I missed that one big time!!! :doh:

That is a very good ranking on your part! I loved the Mendenhall pick last year. He is going to be a stud for a long time in Pittsburgh. And the best part is he can be an every down back (unfortunately Bruce Arians doesn't like to utilize him in that role). I really like how he can catch the ball and do things afterwords.

His TD run was a thing of beauty. He looked like the bus on that run :chuckle:

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Rashard catching 6 for 73 is pretty much almost just like rushing the ball. Teams that run the West Coast know this inherently...we don't run that kind of offense so it's harder to spot, but all a short pass to a RB out of the backfield is is a run moved out into space.

Been saying this but it bears repeating: This kid can do it all. Run for power and speed, he can block, he can catch, and he's just getting started....

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Been saying this but it bears repeating: This kid can do it all. Run for power and speed, he can block, he can catch, and he's just getting started....

I thought that you didn't believe Mendenhall was worth anything better than a 3rd round pick?? Maybe I am confused with somebody else. :noidea:

markymarc
12-23-2009, 10:57 AM
and he's just getting started....

And that is the scary part! Imagine what can happen once the game slows down for Mendenhall.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I thought that you didn't believe Mendenhall was worth anything better than a 3rd round pick?? Maybe I am confused with somebody else. :noidea:

Nope...whilst exerting all your effort in an attempt to constantly misquote and mischaracterize almost everything I say in order to bolster your own opinion by knocking mine down, you find yourself on the wrong side of the argument yet again.

I was all OVER the Mendy pick, thought it was an incredible steal. I was actually one of the few who defied the omnipotent and all-knowing, never-wrong braintrust and thought we'd take a RB in Rd 1. I thought it'd be Stewart through...