PDA

View Full Version : Yet another rub against Cowher haters...

Hammer67
01-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I hate to rub this kind of stuff in but Bob Smizik, again, lays down the law:

Smizik: Cowher one Super win away from Hall of Fame

Sunday, January 29, 2006
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If the Steelers beat the Seahawks, it will provide Bill Cowher with admission to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and we're not talking about as a paying customer.

The coach who is still ridiculed by a vocal minority of ill-informed fans has built up a resume in his 14 years with the team that is Hall-of-Fame ready. All that's required is a Super Bowl victory.

With 141 career wins, Cowher is 14th on the NFL's all-time regular-season list. By going 11-5 this season, Cowher broke a tie with Joe Gibbs, who -- by virtue of three Super Bowl wins -- is in the Hall of Fame. In terms of winning percentage, Cowher's mark of .632 is eighth. He trails John Madden, who is up for enshrinement this week, Vince Lombardi, George Allen, George Halas, Don Shula, Gibbs and George Siefert among coaches with more than 100 wins.

His winning percentage puts him ahead of Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Paul Brown, Bill Parcells and Bill Walsh, to name a few. Not bad company.

With such a lofty ranking, a Super Bowl win would almost certainly gain Cowher induction because there are coaches with equal or lesser credentials already in the Hall of Fame.

BlackNGold203
01-29-2006, 10:27 AM
and just think...he's what?...48???

we'll have him for 15-20 more years....talk about a resume!!..man...he could end up as one of the all time greats in terms of wins...

Yeah..he's on his way

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Yeah i read that article as well.. interesting stats about im and joe gibbs.

Livinginthe past
01-29-2006, 11:05 AM
H.O.F does not change any of the facts and it doesn't remove any of the home playoff losses either.

H.O.F is not based on hard facts entirely, alot of it is perspective and opinion.

Bill Cowher is the Peyton Manning of coaching - every year we hear about what a great player /coach they are - and every year they fall short - we also hear about how Peyton needs 'just one SB win' to confirm his pace.....why?...why only one?

And now we are hearing the same about Cowher.

Cowher is a regular season wonder - there is no doubting that - he has an excellent resume when it comes to games that aren't eliminators - which would you rather....2 SB's and 3 down seasons or 5 failed playoff journeys?

It seems that there are almost as many Cowher bandwagoners in the last week or so as there are Steeler bandwagoners......what happens if the Steelers lose the SB? - all these articles should be saved until he has actually won one.

Like I said at the start, its all perspective when it comes to the H.O.F entrys - I just wonder why Steeler fans are bleating about this non-stop and trying to change peoples minds.....tiresome.

NM

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Dont jinx us past...LOL

We all saw these bandwagon jumpers coming on board ever since we got past the colts. It was inevitable. I think in Cowher's case though, a SB win would validate him as a top head coach, now it doesnt erase all the past failures by any means..but I think for him to finally get over the hump and get a ring and a SB win on his resume would go along way to most getting off his case.. but I think even more will be what happens in the coming seasons and how competitive we stay in the league, no matter what happens in this game next week.

clevestinks
01-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Bill Cowher just win it!

Livinginthe past
01-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Dont jinx us past...LOL

We all saw these bandwagon jumpers coming on board ever since we got past the colts. It was inevitable. I think in Cowher's case though, a SB win would validate him as a top head coach, now it doesnt erase all the past failures by any means..but I think for him to finally get over the hump and get a ring and a SB win on his resume would go along way to most getting off his case.. but I think even more will be what happens in the coming seasons and how competitive we stay in the league, no matter what happens in this game next week.

I can see how a SB win would improve his case - its another box ticked under 'things needed to be a H.O.F coach' - but alot of people who are demanding all this respect seem to forget that as impressive as the Steelers have been (very very impressive - one of the best SB runs I have ever seen) - they still have to beat the best the NFC has to offer.

Cowher is something of a genius, in conjunction with the Rooney's, in keeping the Steelers competetive - one thing I would never argue with....when it comes to evaluating personnel Cowher certainly is H.O.F.

I know some people like to preach the 'everything works in cycles' theory but I can see no logical end to the Steelers visits to the post-season in the near future - they are deep personnel wise and well coached.

NM

clevestinks
01-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Like I said HOF or no HOF, a Super Bowl is a Super Bowl ring! Just win!

BlackNGold203
01-29-2006, 11:31 AM
85% of the NFL would LOVE to have the "failures" we have had in the past 14 years...
6 championship games?
youre right..the HOF is about impressions..its very very subjective...
Ive always found it amazing whenever we lose a championship game..or have an off year...everybody jumps on the "Cowher must go" wagon...

Whats wrong with singing this guys praises at a time like this?

Dook
01-29-2006, 11:36 AM
I've always supported Bill Cowher for many reasons. The Steelers are a classy organization and he fits in well with that.

We don't sign Randy Moss or Terrell Owens just to take one shot at the super bowl yet we are in the playoffs year after year. The Steelers are loyal to their coach's and players and for the most part players are loyal to us.

Sometimes players think they are more important than the organization as a whole and we have to let them go. We simply insert a backup and move on, and usually make it to the playoffs.

We don't flip flop head coach's every three years because we don't sell out.

Too many people have completely unrealistic expectations. They want a super bowl win at any cost because they don't understand that all victory is fleeting. Class is hard thing to come by.

Livinginthe past
01-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I 100% agree with the stability that Cowher has brought to the organisation.

However, in past AFCCG games he has been completely out-coached and his players out-played - and these games have been at home.

Sure BB is a great coach, but you should get beat by 2TD's or more at home in the big game......ever.

It was common knowledge that he was one-dimensional on offense -bash,bash, pass on 3rd down......

This year he has changed it up, maybe it really is due to the fact he has an excellent QB in Ben R - a little more freedom with playcalling etc.

Maybe coach Cowher is learning - the fact that he has excelled at getting his team to the post-season on such a regular basis is the reason he has had so many chances to win the 'Big One' - if he does it...it will be deserved.

NM

ps. This will be the first game for a while that the Steelers have been favorites - they were against Cincy but that outcome was hugely affected by the loss of C. Palmer - it will be interetsing to see how they handle the pressure.

clevestinks
01-29-2006, 11:47 AM
In Cowhers defense, last season he had a 22 year old rookie, playing against the reigning SB champs! Nobody else beat that team either! And last appearance in the Bowl, Odonnel screwed us all

Livinginthe past
01-29-2006, 11:51 AM
In Cowhers defense, last season he had a 22 year old rookie, playing against the reigning SB champs! Nobody else beat that team either! And last appearance in the Bowl, Odonnel screwed us all

Definitely valid points - way too much was expected of Ben last year.

I was with you guys at the start of the year laughing at all the dumb 'experts' who told us that Ben would have a 'sophomore slump'!

I always thought he would be an excellent QB - I just didnt expect him to progress as far as he has in such a short amount of time.

NM

Dook
01-29-2006, 11:54 AM
So you think that Bill Cowher's Steelers, who make it to the playoffs because of their running game, should suddenly change and go almost exclusively to the pass with Kordell Stewart at QB? We only were able to do it this year because we had Big Ben.

Cowher haters don't get it. You have to play with what you have. You can't suddenly expect Kordell Stewart to recognize defenses and throw like Steve Young in a big game. It's just not going to happen.

And to some degree our success has kept us down. We always draft deep and when we finally have a shitty year it's not 2-14 like most other teams but 6-10 (because they tried to get Maddox to open up the passing game). The next year we were able to draft Big Ben.

The super bowl with Neil O'donnell at QB, heck we did as good as could be expected against Aikman, Irvin, and Smith.

Hawk Believer
01-29-2006, 12:10 PM
85% of the NFL would LOVE to have the "failures" we have had in the past 14 years...
6 championship games?
youre right..the HOF is about impressions..its very very subjective...
Ive always found it amazing whenever we lose a championship game..or have an off year...everybody jumps on the "Cowher must go" wagon...

Whats wrong with singing this guys praises at a time like this?

Amen.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-29-2006, 12:20 PM
I 100% agree with the stability that Cowher has brought to the organisation.

However, in past AFCCG games he has been completely out-coached and his players out-played - and these games have been at home.

Sure BB is a great coach, but you should get beat by 2TD's or more at home in the big game......ever.

It was common knowledge that he was one-dimensional on offense -bash,bash, pass on 3rd down......

This year he has changed it up, maybe it really is due to the fact he has an excellent QB in Ben R - a little more freedom with playcalling etc.

Maybe coach Cowher is learning - the fact that he has excelled at getting his team to the post-season on such a regular basis is the reason he has had so many chances to win the 'Big One' - if he does it...it will be deserved.

NM

ps. This will be the first game for a while that the Steelers have been favorites - they were against Cincy but that outcome was hugely affected by the loss of C. Palmer - it will be interetsing to see how they handle the pressure.

Pats have a good team ,but now you guys are losing your Coordinators like we do every year. Time will now tell just how "great " BB is. Not saying he ain't good, but now's the real test. Hopefully you still be living in the PAST!! It's our turn NOW!!

Hammer67
01-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Jesus...who CARES about the AFC losses? At least they were in the final four 6 times! How about all the other NFL teams that haven't been there at all in the last 14 years??!!

Plus, look at the QB's he's had to work with in these games. Kordell twice??!?! :dang:
A rookie QB. Plus...almost all of the AFC Championship losses were caused by turnovers on poor passes by said QB's. How is that Cowher's fault?

Execution on the field is very under rated....

Coaches get all the blame when they lose and players get the praise when they win.

ibleedburgundy
01-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Uh, I didn't know there were any Cowher haters. Everything I hear about that guy is positive. I would say he is one of the most widely-respected coaches in the NFL.

Hammer67
01-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Uh, I didn't know there were any Cowher haters. Everything I hear about that guy is positive. I would say he is one of the most widely-respected coaches in the NFL.

Clearly you don't live in Pittsburgh or haven't in some time. Go to any bar and some drunk idiot will be bitching about Cowher. I guess that happens everywhere.

It just bothers me for some reason cause no one can give reasons why or suggest a better coach for the Steelers...

Man_Of_Steel
01-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Ben saved him. He finally has a franchise QB that can actually pass the ball. If Cowher had had one in the last SB, they probably would have won it in 1995. Ben is a savior in more ways than one.

jaysta
01-29-2006, 02:54 PM

Just wait until they lose a game or two in a row some year. That's all you'll hear are those "band wagoners" who want him fired. He's a HOF coach for what he has done. Period. Look at Jo Pa. This whole part of the state had him retired or fired last year. Now he just about led his team to the National Championship. A good head coach is a good head coach from one year to the next. Other factors change too.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-29-2006, 03:22 PM
I've always supported Cowher.I'd rather go to the AFC Championship Game and lose than end up with 2-6 win seasons all the time like Arizona,Cleveland,Detriot,& New Orleans.

Most coaches would kill for Cowher's track record.

blitzburghXL
01-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Cowher is one of the greatest coaches of all time and he deserves to be in the HOF. All the other teams that rip on Cowher ought to realize that the Steelers have had 2 coaches since the 1970s. Realizing that firing a coach after one bad season would be the best thing for other teams, and maybe then they would realize how great Cowher is.

Hammer67
01-29-2006, 06:47 PM
I've always supported Cowher.I'd rather go to the AFC Championship Game and lose than end up with 2-6 win seasons all the time like Arizona,Cleveland,Detriot,& New Orleans.

Most coaches would kill for Cowher's track record.

Amen to that...

If all the coaches in the NFL were released into a fantasy draft. Cowher would go top 3.