PDA

View Full Version : It's Steelers Wee......I mean, it's Ravens Week!

Crow-Magnon
12-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Welcome, welcome to the Game of the Week! The one we've all been looking forward to. The one every football fan should have been looking forward to, but probably stopped looking at about two weeks ago when it appeared that both Baltimore and Pittsburgh may be outside the playoff door looking in.

Now the Ravens hold the #5 seed due to basically every team they wanted to lose yesterday losing, and the one team they wanted to win, New England, won. Now the 'magic' word is basically, because had the Steelers lost to Green Bay, their hearts may not have been in this Sunday's game as much as normal as they would have 'basically' been eliminated from playoff competition. But now Pittsburgh is wrapped up in a tie with several teams at 7-7 and has a legitimate shot at possibly making the playoffs, so you know it will be a Battle Royal at Heinz Field.

Just as it should be. AFC North Football in December. There is nothing better. Unless it's January. :thumbsup:

I hope to God the Ravens come to Heinz Field and walk out 9-6, just as you hope the Steelers will be 8-7, but it is going to be one hard-hitting game, no matter what. And it will show who the best team in the AFCN is this year (I'm not counting the Bengals- I just can't). :chuckle:

Let the 'intelligent' smack talk begin!

Bluedust
12-21-2009, 08:09 AM
It'll be a good game, I just hope we find a defense before the game.

Crow-Magnon
12-21-2009, 08:13 AM
It'll be a good game, I just hope we find a defense before the game.

Well, considering Roethliberger threw the ball for almost a half-mile yesterday and the Ravens are down Ed Reed and may have just lost Lardarius Webb for the year, it may just be an offensive shoot-out.

Whodathunkit? Two AFCN teams with arguably the best defenses in the NFL this decade may be running and gunning and scoring 28+ points on each other this Sunday.

Or.....maybe something kicks both defenses in the ass during the week and it turns into a brutal low-scoring contest like we're normally used to.

Rick5895
12-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Can't wait for Sunday, I love these games, and who knows............MAYBE WE GET TROY BACK!!

WindyCitySteelerFan
12-21-2009, 08:35 AM
I can't wait. Of course, I am nervous and wondering what Steelers team will show up on Sunday...

As always though, the Ravens Steelers matchups are the greatest of the year. I have a feeling we'll bring our A game.

Crow-Magnon
12-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I can't wait. Of course, I am nervous and wondering what Steelers team will show up on Sunday...

As always though, the Ravens Steelers matchups are the greatest of the year. I have a feeling we'll bring our A game.

It sucks that this match-up didn't look "this good" last week, as it may have been flexed into SNF. Then again, looking at Baltimore's track record on SNF, maybe a 1:00 start ain't a bad thing.

It's going to be good, no matter what. One thing is 100% certain- it will make the week go by so friggin' slow it'll drive us all nuts!

I don't know if it's really possible considering all the tie-breakers, etc, but if Pittsburgh does beat Baltimore Sunday, I'd like to see both of us get into the post-season. Having three AFCN teams in the playoffs would look awesome. Unless, of course, Cincinnati decides to lose to KC this Sunday. :applaudit:

steelcity1974
12-21-2009, 09:05 AM
It sucks that this match-up didn't look "this good" last week, as it may have been flexed into SNF. Then again, looking at Baltimore's track record on SNF, maybe a 1:00 start ain't a bad thing.

It's going to be good, no matter what. One thing is 100% certain- it will make the week go by so friggin' slow it'll drive us all nuts!

I don't know if it's really possible considering all the tie-breakers, etc, but if Pittsburgh does beat Baltimore Sunday, I'd like to see both of us get into the post-season. Having three AFCN teams in the playoffs would look awesome. Unless, of course, Cincinnati decides to lose to KC this Sunday. :applaudit:

Baltimore would have cried to the NFL if they had moved this to 8pm. Why do you think we played them at 8pm at their place? Because they REQUESTED the NFL schedule it that way because they needed a night game to be competitive against us. They were upset because we had MNF at home against them in the past couple years. We'll beat them any time, anywhere.

Crow-Magnon
12-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Baltimore would have cried to the NFL if they had moved this to 8pm. Why do you think we played them at 8pm at their place? Because they REQUESTED the NFL schedule it that way because they needed a night game to be competitive against us. They were upset because we had MNF at home against them in the past couple years. We'll beat them any time, anywhere.

That was then; this is now, so I really do not want to rehash that argument again. But, you brought it up, so......I don't blame Harbaugh one bit. Playing MNF against your bitter rival on their turf year after year with no reciprocity gets a little old. I notice the NFL didn't offer to switch that MNF game to M&T Bank, did they?

That is all. :wave:

steelerchad
12-21-2009, 09:22 AM

This game would not have been switched to Sunday night anyway. Maybe to 4pm, but I believe teams are not allowed to play more than 5 night games per season and we have already played our limit. They do this out of some semblance of fair scheduling as night games usually mean a disruption to a teams normal work week. Either a short week of prep before the night game (Thursday) or a short week the following game isn't really fair to make a team do this too frequently, thus the rule.

solardave
12-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Can't wait for Sunday, I love these games, and who knows............MAYBE WE GET TROY BACK!!

It would be nice but don't count on it. Should be a passing game for both teams.

KeiselPower99
12-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Im ready for some smash mouth football. Oops not this week. I said that the Packers game would be a shootout and was right. I think this one will be a 21-17 kinda game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2009, 10:15 AM
I just cant talk smack with any sort of confidence. The Steelers secondary has shown that it can be riddled by a decent QB. They are not getting any pressure on the QB and I think the front 7 can be run on as evidenced by the Browns game.

I hope its close, but fear that the Ravens are playing better football than the Steelers are right now.

steel9guy
12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I HAVE TICKETS. I hope its a Defensive struggle to the end like last year.

Da Steeler Soprano
12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
We dont lose wearing our throwbacks...nuff said.

memphissteelergirl
12-21-2009, 10:25 AM
I HAVE TICKETS. I hope its a Defensive struggle to the end like last year.

The way our D is playing, that would give the obvioius edge to Baltimore. No...I think the offense is going have to carry the day as it did last night.

Crow-Magnon
12-21-2009, 10:38 AM
The way our D is playing, that would give the obvioius edge to Baltimore. No...I think the offense is going have to carry the day as it did last night.

Other than the Lions and Bears games, I could say the same. Who would have ever thought the Steelers and Ravens fans would be worried about their defenses?

stillers4me
12-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Other than the Lions and Bears games, I could say the same. Who would have ever thought the Steelers and Ravens fans would be worried about their defenses?

And the Bengals winning the division. Hell has froze over in the AFCN! :toofunny:

Fire Haley
12-21-2009, 10:43 AM
I hope its a Defensive struggle to the end like last year.

BWAhahahahaha - not a chance.

The only secondary possible worse than our is the Ravens crew, it should be another shoot-out.

I demand entertainment.

stlrtruck
12-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Just as it should be. Steelers and Ravens AFC North Football in December. There is nothing better. Unless it's January. :thumbsup:

I hope to God the Ravens come to Heinz Field and walk out 9-6, just as you hope the Steelers will be 8-7, but it is going to be one hard-hitting game, no matter what. And it will show who the best team in the AFCN is this year (I'm not counting the Bengals- I just can't). :chuckle:

Let the 'intelligent' smack talk begin!

Fixed it for you.

And you know I like you....except this week! :flap: :chuckle:

Game 1 was an excellent game from a fans perspective even though I hated the outcome. I hope Game 2 is just as exciting with opposite results.

And I know it's very difficult to count the bengals since they only do this every 4-5 years, but just give them their due and watch them fade into oblivion in the playoffs and then next season too.

Now let the ratbird beating begin!!!! :thumbsup:

Nadroj 20
12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
This is a huge game......cant wait.

Steelersfan4life0655
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
I am excited for this game! I really hope it doesnt turn into a shoot out! Just cuz both teams secondaries are down right now! Hopefully the D can show up for 4 Quarters!

Steelers Since '75
12-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Steelers D must have a better gameplan than the first game... especially Farrior covering Rice out of the backfield... at least give Timmons the coverage assignment due to his speed.

Angus Burgher
12-21-2009, 04:24 PM
And the Bengals winning the division. Hell has froze over in the AFCN! :toofunny:

I had comic book nerd-type theory about this. If you've ever read superhero comics or watched things like Star Trek, they like to play with the idea that you can alter reality by putting someone or something in a place where it doesn't belong, like a sending a guy back in time.

So when looking at what has happened this year, things just feel... off. The Bengals won the division. Huh? The Steelers are losing to utter crap teams one year after the Super Bowl win. What? And on that note, the defenses of teams like the Steelers and Ravens are being viewed as the "weak link" on each team. Makes no sense right?

Then I figured it out. All of this can be blamed on one thing.

BRETT FAVRE.

Sure, it was one thing when he played for the Jets. Not seeing him in a Green Bay uniform was strange, but it didn't drastically impact anything because his mediocre time in New York didn't affect Green Bay.

But when he joined Green Bay's most hated Rival, Minnesota, he shattered the fabric of reality, sending ripples all over the NFL. First Troy gets injured. Then the Titans can't seem to win a game. Then, Jay Cutler implodes. The Bengals win games despite still playing faily poorly. And then, finally, the anomoly becomes glaringly apparent: THE COWBOYS WON A GAME IN DECEMBER. And more importantly... they beat a previously undefeated team.

If THAT doesn't tell you that the entire league has been turned on its head, I don't know what would. Brett Favre may have unknowingly brought about the apocolypse in his quest for his second ring.

4G63
12-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Should end up being a shootout because our best CB Lardarius Webb won't be playing....and :drink: to a great game as usual!

HometownGal
12-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game and am hoping the Steelers secondary remembers to take their nahas out of their lockers and put 'em on before they leave the locker room to run onto the field. :hope:

Here's to a great and injury free game. :drink:

GO STEELERS! :tt02:

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Should end up being a shootout because our best CB Lardarius Webb won't be playing....and :drink: to a great game as usual!

This might be the most physical game both teams will play all year.

Crow-Magnon
12-21-2009, 05:25 PM

Ya think? :rofl:

I have no doubt!

Preacher
12-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Yeah but sadly,

that's not saying a lot!

stlrtruck
12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Ya think? :rofl:

I have no doubt!

The problem is, this could also be the game, that should one of these teams make the playoffs they aren't healthy enough to play the competition.

This is all Good Deal's fault. He didn't want the ratbirds or the Steelers healthy so he made this game close to the last week just so they would be the snot out of each other.

Crow-Magnon
12-21-2009, 06:32 PM
The problem is, this could also be the game, that should one of these teams make the playoffs they aren't healthy enough to play the competition.

This is all Good Deal's fault. He didn't want the ratbirds or the Steelers healthy so he made this game close to the last week just so they would be the snot out of each other.

Or.....he wanted it to be a great game to flex for the ratings. Due to the Steelers being 6-7 last week, that probably put the kibosh on that. Shame. This will be the Game of the Week for sure.

stlrtruck
12-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Or.....he wanted it to be a great game to flex for the ratings. Due to the Steelers being 6-7 last week, that probably put the kibosh on that. Shame. This will be the Game of the Week for sure.

I'll go with the negative conpsiracy theory against both teams. Goodell isn't that smart to figure out the flex.

Even with the records, this game should still have been the flex option. Steelers mean ratings. Steelers vs. ravens means bigger ratings.

Indo
12-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I had comic book nerd-type theory about this. If you've ever read superhero comics or watched things like Star Trek, they like to play with the idea that you can alter reality by putting someone or something in a place where it doesn't belong, like a sending a guy back in time.

So when looking at what has happened this year, things just feel... off. The Bengals won the division. Huh? The Steelers are losing to utter crap teams one year after the Super Bowl win. What? And on that note, the defenses of teams like the Steelers and Ravens are being viewed as the "weak link" on each team. Makes no sense right?

Then I figured it out. All of this can be blamed on one thing.

BRETT FAVRE.

Sure, it was one thing when he played for the Jets. Not seeing him in a Green Bay uniform was strange, but it didn't drastically impact anything because his mediocre time in New York didn't affect Green Bay.

But when he joined Green Bay's most hated Rival, Minnesota, he shattered the fabric of reality, sending ripples all over the NFL. First Troy gets injured. Then the Titans can't seem to win a game. Then, Jay Cutler implodes. The Bengals win games despite still playing faily poorly. And then, finally, the anomoly becomes glaringly apparent: THE COWBOYS WON A GAME IN DECEMBER. And more importantly... they beat a previously undefeated team.

If THAT doesn't tell you that the entire league has been turned on its head, I don't know what would. Brett Favre may have unknowingly brought about the apocolypse in his quest for his second ring.

:rofl:
You actually might be on to something here

Angus Burgher
12-22-2009, 05:10 PM
:rofl:
You actually might be on to something here

Haha, thanks! After all, lest we forget...

Brett Favre has never been intercepted. The ball simply betrayed him out of jealousy.

Brett Favre ended World War II with an 80-yard bomb to Donald Driver.

Brett Favre rid London of the Black Death during a brief stint with the NFL Europe.

Brett Favre is the greatest Football TEAM of all time.

Brett wasn't addicted to painkillers....Painkillers were addicted to Brett Favre.

Brett Favre can throw a football around the world and catch it himself (as shown in the 1998 NFC Championship Game).

Brett Favre can throw a football through a bulletproof vest.

Bulletproof vests are made from Brett Favre's hair.

When Brett Favre and Billy the Kid dueled, the football beat the gun.

George Bush invaded Mississippi to search for the WMD known as Brett Favre's arm.

Federal Law states that no car can travel on interstate highways faster than a Brett Favre throw.

Upon his arrival to New York, a man tried to mug Brett Favre at gunpoint. Brett Favre remarked, "that is not a gun", flexed his right arm and said, "that's a gun". The man fled.

While God rested on the 7th day, Brett Favre picked up the slack and said "let there be Touchdowns"...and it was good.

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
All I can say is PLEASE Clevelanders, I need you to be apathetic as HELL and NOT sellout against the Raiders. I want a TELEVISED Steelers game for Christmas!