PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu is Steelers MVP

NEWstevo
12-21-2009, 08:26 AM
In football, so often an entire game comes down to one or two plays, usually near the end. And likewise, and entire season can depend on the outcome of one or two games. Taken as a whole it seems very unlikely that one play (or, one player) can be the difference between having an 11-3 season and going 7-7 through week 14. But as I step back and recap the season so far, it is easy spot the one thing missing from the Pittsburgh Steelers that “woulda” taken a few of the bad games and turned them into wins: Troy Polamalu.

Every Steelers loss was a winnable game this year. All those 4th quarter implosions meant the game came down to nearly a single play, and the ball just didn’t bounce the Steelers way (and once, the corner back literally dropped a guaranteed victory).

So on that one play… the BIGGEST play of the game… you essentially take out your two best players (and replace them with less than average players)… it will result in failure. Seven times, to be exact.

Knowing this, I believe you plug back in Troy Polamalu (and Aaron Smith) and Pittsburgh wins those games.

The outcome of a big “L” may have been the same but each of those seven games was a little different with lots of blame and pointing fingers. Heck, even sure-hands Miller probably cost the Steelers a game.

In fact, the only thing consistent was the way Pittsburgh collapsed in the 4th quarter. Polamalu and Smith would not have saved the defense from all the woes, but for that one game-changing-play, more often than not, they would have given the Steelers success. Coaches always say you got to play with what you have and in seasons past the team was just deep with talent. For the '09 season, this is not the case.

Can the Most Valuable Player be someone that that doesn’t actually play (Troy has missed 9 games)?

My vote is YES!

(ok, now I am done venting and stating the obvious)

steeltheone
12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Ummm without number 7 we are nothing!

steel9guy
12-21-2009, 10:20 AM
In football, so often an entire game comes down to one or two plays, usually near the end. And likewise, and entire season can depend on the outcome of one or two games. Taken as a whole it seems very unlikely that one play (or, one player) can be the difference between having an 11-3 season and going 7-7 through week 14. But as I step back and recap the season so far, it is easy spot the one thing missing from the Pittsburgh Steelers that “woulda” taken a few of the bad games and turned them into wins: Troy Polamalu.

Every Steelers loss was a winnable game this year. All those 4th quarter implosions meant the game came down to nearly a single play, and the ball just didn’t bounce the Steelers way (and once, the corner back literally dropped a guaranteed victory).

So on that one play… the BIGGEST play of the game… you essentially take out your two best players (and replace them with less than average players)… it will result in failure. Seven times, to be exact.

Knowing this, I believe you plug back in Troy Polamalu (and Aaron Smith) and Pittsburgh wins those games.

The outcome of a big “L” may have been the same but each of those seven games was a little different with lots of blame and pointing fingers. Heck, even sure-hands Miller probably cost the Steelers a game.

In fact, the only thing consistent was the way Pittsburgh collapsed in the 4th quarter. Polamalu and Smith would not have saved the defense from all the woes, but for that one game-changing-play, more often than not, they would have given the Steelers success. Coaches always say you got to play with what you have and in seasons past the team was just deep with talent. For the '09 season, this is not the case.

Can the Most Valuable Player be someone that that doesn’t actually play (Troy has missed 9 games)?

My vote is YES!

(ok, now I am done venting and stating the obvious)

I'd give Troy 2nd to Limas Sweed. He's made an impact this year and Bruce Arians should get an honorable mention.

zulater
12-21-2009, 10:50 AM

To me that's the most logical choice. But being as the players vote the award and Ben's never been the most popular guy in the room it will be interesting to see what the outcome is. I think it would send a good message of unity going foward if this team finally awarded Ben team MVP even if they don't all like him personally.

JCPsteelers
12-21-2009, 12:09 PM

:yeahthat:

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 06:37 PM
OK, now can we stop the silly talk about the Steelers' most valuable player this season?
While safety Troy Polamalu watched in street clothes one more time, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger passed for a team-record 503 yards and willed victory in the final minutes again. Yes, the defense misses Polamalu in the worst way, but to be an MVP, you have to actually play the games.

Great article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/312314-steelers-report-cardweek-15-team-mvp-its-big-ben-by-big-margin

I got a particularly nice chuckle out of this comment:

I’m convinced that a mannequin could play better than William Gay right now. :chuckle:

Still, he did a good job last year so I don't know what the problem is.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 06:46 PM
I think we can vote him the Defensive MVP

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
I think we can vote him the Defensive MVP

Considering he's our INT leader and missed what...9 games?., I'd say you have a point. If not him, then who?

zulater
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Considering he's our INT leader and missed what...9 games?., I'd say you have a point. If not him, then who?

Lamar Woodley or Brett Keisel. Both are having good years despite the defense's overall decline.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Lamar Woodley or Brett Keisel. Both are having good years despite the defense's overall decline.

Based on what? Pressures? Unfortunately, I don't think they have the numbers.

zulater
12-21-2009, 09:41 PM

Woodley has 9.5 sacks so far, that's more than James Harrison had in 07 when he beat Ben out for team MVP when Ben had 32 td passes.

I'm not sure what Keisel's stats are, but I still think he's been playing well all year.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Woodley has 9.5 sacks so far, that's more than James Harrison had in 07 when he beat Ben out for team MVP when Ben had 32 td passes.

I'm not sure what Keisel's stats are, but I still think he's been playing well all year.

James Harrison has 10 this year and had 16 last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/_/year/2008/stat/def/sort/sack

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/leaders/NFL/SCKS/2009/regular

Also, James Farrior is 24th (in the AFC only) with 87 Tackles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/leaders/AFC/TAC/2009/regular

He did not rank in the top 30 NFL wide (no Steeler did).

UPDATE: You said 2007. My bad. Yea, Harrison had 8.5 sacks.

zulater
12-21-2009, 09:57 PM
James Harrison has 10 this year and had 16 last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/_/year/2008/stat/def/sort/sack

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/leaders/NFL/SCKS/2009/regular

Also, James Farrior is 24th (in the AFC only) with 87 Tackles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/leaders/AFC/TAC/2009/regular

He did not rank in the top 30 NFL wide (no Steeler did).

UPDATE: You said 2007. My bad. Yea, Harrison had 8.5 sacks.

Just to set the record straight so we're on the same page here. I think Ben is clearly this year's team MVP. ( I also thought he should have been in 07)

But if they had a defensive MVP award for the Steelers this year and I had a vote I'd vote for Woodley. Harrison has more sacks but his play has fallen off lately while Woodley's play has steadily been climbing as the season goes on.

Polamalu is far and away our best defensive player, and also most valuable and needed. But imo to get my vote for a year end award you need to have played in over half the games to qualify.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Just to set the record straight so we're on the same page here. I think Ben is clearly this year's team MVP. ( I also thought he should have been in 07)

But if they had a defensive MVP award for the Steelers this year and I had a vote I'd vote for Woodley. Harrison has more sacks but his play has fallen off lately while Woodley's play has steadily been climbing as the season goes on.

Polamalu is far and away our best defensive player, and also most valuable and needed. But imo to get my vote for a year end award you need to have played in over half the games to qualify.

I can agree with that.

Psyychoward86
12-21-2009, 10:22 PM

this isnt the DPOY award

Ravnet
12-21-2009, 10:24 PM

So? The Steelers wouldn't be remotely competitive in those games if you plugged in Polamalu and took out Roethlisberger.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 10:26 PM
this isnt the DPOY award

I know this. Team MVP is clearly Ben IMO. IF we have to have a defensive MVP, right now I'd probably agree that it's Woodley. But I'd be happy to see it go to whomever say made a playoff saving play on defense in week 17 against the Phins.