PDA

View Full Version : Criticism of Tomlin

DoubleYoi
12-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm hearing people bash Tomlin for his "moronic" onside kick call in yesterday's game. Not only did I agree with the call at the same time Troy Aikman was scratching his inbred forehead, I agree with it in hindsight as well and not just because it worked to perfection (left enough time on the clock for an amazing comeback drive).

However, here is my question. Why isn't Ike Taylor being reamed for his illegal touching of the ball? He knew the onside kick was coming, knew the ten yard rule and knew touching the ball anywhere short of the ten yard mark would warrant a penalty and give GB the ball. That knowledge still wasn't enough to keep him from snatching the ball after it only traveled nine yards. Awesome play call and pi$$ poor execution in my mind. Ike, quit swankin' and start thinkin' before you single-handedly cost your team any remote chance of having a playoff berth.

madtowndrunkard
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Stupid call no matter how you try to spin it.

Fact of the matter is if Wallace drops that last pass Tomlin would have been crucified by everyone....in Pittsburgh and the national media.

Packer fans were laughing their ass off at how stupid that call was. Luckily for us Ben pulled out one of his heroic drives that I haven't seen since the SB.

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm hearing people bash Tomlin for his "moronic" onside kick call in yesterday's game. Not only did I agree with the call at the same time Troy Aikman was scratching his inbred forehead, I agree with it in hindsight as well and not just because it worked to perfection (left enough time on the clock for an amazing comeback drive).

However, here is my question. Why isn't Ike Taylor being reamed for his illegal touching of the ball? He knew the onside kick was coming, knew the ten yard rule and knew touching the ball anywhere short of the ten yard mark would warrant a penalty and give GB the ball. That knowledge still wasn't enough to keep him from snatching the ball after it only traveled nine yards. Awesome play call and pi$$ poor execution in my mind. Ike, quit swankin' and start thinkin' before you single-handedly cost your team any remote chance of having a playoff berth.

Umm, how about he is running at break neck speed and literally has half a second to react to that ball. Also, it was a half a yard short of where it needed to be before being touched. In case you didn't know, half a yard is 18 inches. Now you tell me how you would have done in that circumstance with 5 guys getting ready to knock your head off. Just trying to put this in perspective for you, not flame you.
:drink:

MACH1
12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Hated the call at the time. But 20/20 hindsight, it was the right thing to do. And that folks is why I am not an nfl coach. :chuckle:

JEFF4i
12-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Fact of the matter is if Wallace drops that last pass Tomlin would have been crucified by everyone....in Pittsburgh and the national media.

Packer fans were laughing their ass off at how stupid that call was. Luckily for us Ben pulled out one of his heroic drives that I haven't seen since the SB.

I'm sorry, but you're the stupid one. :chuckle:

Really, the call was ballsy and maybe ill-advised, but I hardly think it was stupid. It worked, bottom line.

fansince'76
12-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Bet they stopped laughing when the clock hit triple-zero. Fact is, that game was beginning to play out just like a lot of other losses this year have - holding onto a precarious lead late in the 4th quarter only to be surrendered by a defense that can't get a stop to save their lives with next to no time on the clock.

madtowndrunkard
12-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Bet they stopped laughing when the clock hit triple-zero. Fact is, that game was beginning to play out just like a lot of other losses this year have - holding onto a precarious lead late in the 4th quarter only to be surrendered by the defense with next to no time on the clock.

That is all true, but it does not make that call any less stupid.

If any other coach makes that call and you are all laughing your asses off saying how stupid that was. If Wallace doesn't make that catch Tomlin would have been crucified and the players would probably revolted like we've never seen before.

2 point lead, late in the 4th quarter.... and we still have playoff chances. no way can you rationalize that call. it worked out luckily. Luckily the Packers secondary is even worse then ours.

Bluedust
12-21-2009, 11:45 AM

If any other coach makes that call and you are all laughing your asses off saying how stupid that was. If Wallace doesn't make that catch Tomlin would have been crucified and the players would probably revolted like we've never seen before.

2 point lead, late in the 4th quarter.... and we still have playoff chances. no way can you rationalize that call. it worked out luckily. Luckily the Packers secondary is even worse then ours.

If we were 12 - 4, yes I'd say it was a dumb call, but obviously whatever we've been doing hasn't been working.

But hey the Packers scored 3 TDs on us in the 4th, so did the Raiders, so did (insert almost every team here) we'd definitely be able to stop them THIS time! :wink02:

fansince'76
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
If we were 12 - 4, yes I'd say it was a dumb call, but obviously whatever we've been doing hasn't been working.

But hey the Packers scored 3 TDs on us in the 4th, so did the Raiders, so did (insert almost every team here) we'd definitely be able to stop them THIS time! :wink02:

How many 3rd-and-15+ situations has our defense allowed to be converted? I've lost count.

Steel_12
12-21-2009, 11:52 AM

You can't be this stubborn...lol.

If Wallace drops the ball, he would've been crucified NOT Tomlin because Tomlin put us in that position with the onside kick!! Geez...

2 point lead, late in the 4th quarter...and we have a defense that has already given up 2 Touchdowns at that point in the quarter...no way you cannot see the rationality of the call! We did get lucky that they scored quick but that's what he anticipated...

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Bill Cowher called an even more gutsy onside-kick in the SB and he is praised for it....only because it worked.

I hated the onside-kick yesterday, but Tomlin is getting criticized today...because it didn't work.

I'm just going to enjoy the win. It's been a long 6 weeks.

solardave
12-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Hated the call at the time. But 20/20 hindsight, it was the right thing to do. And that folks is why I am not an nfl coach. :chuckle:

I still think it was not the right call. Wallace (and Ben0 saved Tomlin from national humiliation. I'm just glad we won.

madtowndrunkard
12-21-2009, 11:56 AM
You can't be this stubborn...lol.

If Wallace drops the ball, he would've been crucified NOT Tomlin because Tomlin put us in that position with the onside kick!! Geez...

2 point lead, late in the 4th quarter...and we have a defense that has already given up 2 Touchdowns at that point in the quarter...no way you cannot see the rationality of the call! We did get lucky that they scored quick but that's what he anticipated...

:rofl:

Yea what ever.

casteeler
12-21-2009, 11:58 AM
^^^ you almost expect the other team to convert however Troy is coming back and he will be a differance maker.

fansince'76
Bill Cowher called an even more gutsy onside-kick in the SB and he is praised for it....only because it worked.

I hated the onside-kick yesterday, but Tomlin is getting criticized today...because it didn't work.

He also called one during the '05 regular season against Indy which was unsuccessful and ultimately the backbreaker in that loss.

steelcity1974
Be happy Tomlin is willing to try ANYTHING to win a game. After all that lip service about personnel changes (and we haven't seen any) he just appeared to be content to keep doing the same old things even though we were losing games. The fact that he did this shows he is willing to change things to try and win games, as strange as the decision may seem on the surface. I hope he continues to take more risks. Maybe a fake punt every now and then?

madtowndrunkard
12-21-2009, 12:01 PM

There was more time on the clock in that game and our defense was awesome.

He figured if we didn't get it our defense could hold them to a FG at worst.

totally different....and even then it was a gutsy call that if back fired would have got Cowher in a lot of hot water. This was worse.

We're we losing and we tried it to open the 2nd half. Not in the closing minutes of a game we were winning by less then 3 points.

Steel_12
12-21-2009, 12:05 PM
There was more time on the clock in that game and our defense was awesome.

He figured if we didn't get it our defense could hold them to a FG at worst.

totally different....and even then it was a gutsy call that if back fired would have got Cowher in a lot of hot water. This was worse.

We're we losing and we tried it to open the 2nd half. Not in the closing minutes of a game we were winning by less then 3 points.

For some reason, you just don't get it. We've blown too many leads in the 4th quarter. Leads that were more than 2 points...why would you keep doing the same thing if it isn't working? That would be dumb...what he did was very smart.

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Insane- Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result.

What Tomlin did last night was break that insane circle we have been in for the last 5 weeks.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
:rofl:

Yea what ever.

No, he's right. We needed to do something different than rely on our defense to hold the lead. Sure, we could have lost but that was almost a guarantee if we kick deep. Tomlin took a chance because he had to try something different. You can call it luck if you want to, but it worked.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Insane- Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result.

What Tomlin did last night was break that insane circle we have been in for the last 5 weeks.

Exactly.

madtowndrunkard
12-21-2009, 12:24 PM

We didn't do anything different in that game. We used the same game plan we've used all year....abandon the run, air it out, and defensively fold in the 4th quarter.

Well I take that back....we started throwing to our RB's. Either Ben started using his dump off option or Arians just started giving him one....Im not sure which. In any event the only thing that was different is Ben had one of his best games...he was in a zone and he carried the team. Tomlin tried his best to lose the game for us but Ben would not allow it.

If you honestly think Tomlin's plan was for Ben to do what he did on that final drive in the closing seconds then you are just delusional. Its laughable to even suggest it.

Atranox
12-21-2009, 12:35 PM
If you honestly think Tomlin's plan was for Ben to do what he did on that final drive in the closing seconds then you are just delusional. Its laughable to even suggest it.

Whatever he planned, it sure as hell worked.

We've lost 5 games this year due to our defense giving up long methodical drives with 3-4 minutes left in the game, only to have them score with no time left for our offense to do anything.

When we kicked the onside kick, one of two things could have happened:
- We get the onside kick & win the game
- They get the onside kick, leaving a short field. Essentially no matter what they do, it leaves time for our offense to score.

If we didn't here's our potential outcomes:
- We kickoff, they drive down the field & score, leaving no time on the clock (as in every other game this year)
- We kickoff, they run it back for a TD (would this surpise anyone?)
- We kickoff, our defense holds them (this would be a FIRST for this year)

DoubleYoi
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Umm, how about he is running at break neck speed and literally has half a second to react to that ball. Also, it was a half a yard short of where it needed to be before being touched. In case you didn't know, half a yard is 18 inches. Now you tell me how you would have done in that circumstance with 5 guys getting ready to knock your head off. Just trying to put this in perspective for you, not flame you.

I completely understand the speed of the game and how everything looks easier in hindsight or slow motion. However, Ike Taylor's first objective in that situation is to gain the ten yard mark before laying a finger on the ball. That's fundamental football and Ike just didn't use his head. To touch that ball short of ten yards is just plain stupid, especially when there's only one Packer player even remotely close to the play. And who are these 5 guys ready to knock his head off? There was one Packer near the ball and his objective is to recover the ball, not crush Ike. The rest of their team had their backs turned running up the field preparing to block.

Regardless, the right call was made and that's the bottome line. We live to fight another day because the Packers only had to drive half the field. Great call by Coach Tomlin.

Bluedust
12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
We didn't do anything different in that game. We used the same game plan we've used all year....abandon the run, air it out, and defensively fold in the 4th quarter.

Well I take that back....we started throwing to our RB's. Either Ben started using his dump off option or Arians just started giving him one....Im not sure which. In any event the only thing that was different is Ben had one of his best games...he was in a zone and he carried the team. Tomlin tried his best to lose the game for us but Ben would not allow it.

It was his plan, listen to Tomlin's press conference from yesterday.

His explanation is the same one we're trying to explain to you, the defense has shown a pattern of failure.

DoubleYoi
12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Tomlin tried his best to lose the game for us but Ben would not allow it.

This can't be a serious statement. Ben was able to lead a game-winning drive BECAUSE Coach Tomlin gave him enough time to do so. What's delusional about giving your team 2+ minutes of clock as opposed to 20 seconds, if that? I'm sure Tomlin would've liked to save some of the drama (4th down conversion, score on last play of regulation) but his gamble put this team in a position to win which isn't laughable to me.

The success of the onside kick call did not hinge on whether or not the Steelers recovered. They didn't recover but were given an opportunity to put the winning points on the board after their D looked like a slice of Swiss cheese. I'll defend that call every time as long is our D is playing the way it has been.

Steelers24/7
12-21-2009, 01:07 PM
If Wallace didn't make that catch, it would be on the offense, not Tomlin. Tomlin put us in a position where our quarterback, who has shown he is the best when the game is tied or they need to score to win, pulled through again. It was risky but if he doesn't make the call, we don't even get the chance to win the game and everyone has a miserable Christmas as our defense screws up another game.

steeltheone
12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Ok trying to rely on a 23 % success rate on onside kicks is crazy. Tomlin needs to get with it!

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Ok trying to rely on a 23 % success rate on onside kicks is crazy. Tomlin needs to get with it!

So what are the chances that we win that game if we kick it deep given our track record this season? Because that is a big factor in this equation that some people are choosing to ignore.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 02:41 PM

What if he confirmed it in the post game interview? Are we still delusional? If not, what's that make you?

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Hmmm. I heard that a surprise onside kick in a situation such as that (ahead and not needing to score twice) has a success rate of 60%.

In fact:

Now, there are some things to consider. First, the Advanced NFL Stats computation was based on a 60 percent success rate for "surprise on-side kicks (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/onside-kicks.html)," vs. a 20 percent success rate for all on-side kicks.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/79841767.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Hmmm. I heard that a surprise onside kick in a situation such as that (ahead and not needing to score twice) has a success rate of 60%.

In fact:

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/79841767.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

We will have none of this fact finding to prove posts. Who do you think you are anyway? Educated? :chuckle:

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 02:49 PM
We will have none of this fact finding to prove posts. Who do you think you are anyway? Educated? :chuckle:

Waste of time? :chuckle:

You're probably right. Why let a few facts get in the way of some perfectly good hatin'!

Glace
12-21-2009, 03:01 PM
However, here is my question. Why isn't Ike Taylor being reamed for his illegal touching of the ball? He knew the onside kick was coming, knew the ten yard rule and knew touching the ball anywhere short of the ten yard mark would warrant a penalty and give GB the ball. That knowledge still wasn't enough to keep him from snatching the ball after it only traveled nine yards.

Ever gone after an onside kick?

I have.

You have ZERO time to think on an onside kick...it's like a fumble where everybody gets a running start. You see the ball....you go get the ball.

Recovering an onside kick takes a little bit of luck and proper ball placement. If that ball hops just a little bit further down the field, we are praising Ike.

HometownGal
12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
D gives up TWENTY TWO points in the second half and the Pack showed no signs of slowing down their pace. A ballsy call by Tomlin, which had it worked the way it was intended to, those of you who are damning him would be praising his genius. :coffee:

I commend him for taking the risk and in the end, it gave Ben & Co. time to get down the field and score the game winner.

SteelGhost
12-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Looks like Mr. Tomlin finally unleashed hell in December as he said.... at least in these forums :chuckle:

Preacher
12-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Looks like Mr. Tomlin finally unleashed hell in December as he said.... at least in these forums :chuckle:

LOL,. Very true.

SteelGhost
12-21-2009, 05:07 PM

WH
12-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Tomlin backed up his ''I will unleash hell in december'' on Sunday......When he unleashed hell on every Steelers' fans Circulatory system by almost giving all of us a heart attack.

ytsan2q
12-22-2009, 12:33 AM
A lot of these people either have not watched our D this year or in the second have of that game for that matter. Those guys are old and slow. You had to have the offense on the field with enough time to win the game. How many games does it take to realize this D can't stop anyone.

WH
12-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Moral of the story, our D should be embarrassed.

Preacher
12-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Moral of the story, our D should be embarrassed.

Funny thing is... I have to absolutely agree with you.

steelwalls
12-22-2009, 01:59 AM
How many threads are going to be made about this subject? For crying out loud we won, I guess some would prefer we kicked the ball deep and lost because that would have been a better call? Geeeezzz....

Preacher
12-22-2009, 02:00 AM
How many threads are going to be made about this subject? For crying out loud we won, I guess some would prefer we kicked the ball deep and lost because that would have been a better call? Geeeezzz....

:chuckle: though I would like to say, MY thread was a positive one!!

steelwalls
12-22-2009, 02:04 AM
:chuckle: though I would like to say, MY thread was a positive one!!

Yes I remember the original thread you made right after it happened seems about 10 or so others were spawned after the game.

OX1947
12-22-2009, 02:47 AM
The onside kick is the least of Tomlin's brain dead philosophies this season. His inability to run the damn ball with double digit leads to kill time and hammer the D is killing this team. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. Even if the steelers aren't scoring td's when running the ball, they are burning clock. When you throw the ball on leads, you don't make them AND you stop the clock. Blaming Arians is one thing, but tomlin is the head coach and has full authority to go to Arians and tell him to run the damn ball.

WH
12-22-2009, 03:56 AM
The onside kick is the least of Tomlin's brain dead philosophies this season. His inability to run the damn ball with double digit leads to kill time and hammer the D is killing this team. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. Even if the steelers aren't scoring td's when running the ball, they are burning clock. When you throw the ball on leads, you don't make them AND you stop the clock. Blaming Arians is one thing, but tomlin is the head coach and has full authority to go to Arians and tell him to run the damn ball.

There are a multitude of instances where I thought one of two things happened.
1. Tomlin doesn't think about it
2. Arians ignores Tomlin.

I think the onside kick was so insane that it was a good idea. I mean, if Ike Taylor plays like he always does and whifs on trying to get that onside kick, and someone else recovers....Tomlin is a genius. The only reason we are questioning the call is because Ike F'd it up (Story of Ike's season).

Reminds me of a call Dick Vermeil made at the end of a Chiefs game a few years ago. They were down by 3 with 2 seconds left at the 3 yard line on 4th and goal. He chose to go for the win and ran Larry Johnson into the end zone. If he gets stopped they lose and he looks like an ass. But it worked out and he looked ballsy.

Tomlin should admit 3 things though:
1 when Ike screwed that up and Green Bay got the ball at the Steelers 39....a little part of him died inside.
2 he thought of his post game explaination of that onside kick on the way to the locker room after the game was over
3 admit he was almost pooping himself on that entire last drive.

I love Tomlin, and I think he's a good fit in Pittsburgh, however I'm still waiting for him to take this team by the balls and make it HIS team.

Steelers>NFL
12-22-2009, 06:54 AM

Cuz. Ike Taylor is dumber than a rock. Such a bonehead!

plenewken
12-22-2009, 07:19 AM

All things considered, Jeff Reed kicking the ball "deep" would have gained us 30 more net yds, at best, and the Packers would have needed 1 or 2 plays to regain the yardage.

Yes we won but thanks to the equivalent of a Hail Mary thrown with 3 sec left. I guess we can't be too demanding at this point.

DoubleYoi
12-22-2009, 12:10 PM

You're completely missing the point. Tomlin wasn't relying on the success of the onside kick. He was relying on the fact that even if we failed the attempt (which we did), we'd still have more time on the clock once we get the ball back (which we did), regardless of what Green Bay does with the ball. Tomlin should be applauded for giving his team the best chance to win a game.

DoubleYoi
12-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Ever gone after an onside kick?

I have.

You have ZERO time to think on an onside kick...it's like a fumble where everybody gets a running start. You see the ball....you go get the ball.

Recovering an onside kick takes a little bit of luck and proper ball placement. If that ball hops just a little bit further down the field, we are praising Ike.

Yes, I have gone after an onside kick. Fortunately, I've never been flagged either because my coach taught me to not even think about touching the ball until you're absolutely sure you've hit the ten yard mark. Defending Ike in this situation is like defending Ryan Clark after his comments last week. Just plain stupid.

DoubleYoi
12-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Take note that I'm the original poster and wasn't being negative in any way (except for bashing Ike for not using his cranium).

OX1947
12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
There are a multitude of instances where I thought one of two things happened.
1. Tomlin doesn't think about it
2. Arians ignores Tomlin.

I think the onside kick was so insane that it was a good idea. I mean, if Ike Taylor plays like he always does and whifs on trying to get that onside kick, and someone else recovers....Tomlin is a genius. The only reason we are questioning the call is because Ike F'd it up (Story of Ike's season).

Reminds me of a call Dick Vermeil made at the end of a Chiefs game a few years ago. They were down by 3 with 2 seconds left at the 3 yard line on 4th and goal. He chose to go for the win and ran Larry Johnson into the end zone. If he gets stopped they lose and he looks like an ass. But it worked out and he looked ballsy.

Tomlin should admit 3 things though:
1 when Ike screwed that up and Green Bay got the ball at the Steelers 39....a little part of him died inside.
2 he thought of his post game explaination of that onside kick on the way to the locker room after the game was over
3 admit he was almost pooping himself on that entire last drive.

I love Tomlin, and I think he's a good fit in Pittsburgh, however I'm still waiting for him to take this team by the balls and make it HIS team.

You know whats worse then the decision on going for the onside? Putting Ike Taylor in to recover a football. A man who may have the worst hands I have ever seen on an athlete. Ike is also not a smart, on the spot decision maker. He is a one on one, try and stay on your guy and use that crazy speed as best you can type player. Other then that, Ike has zero ability to catch INTs, look for the ball at the moment of arrival, and be able to adjust to different players at safety. And with Williams GAY, playing 35 yards off the receiver, that doesn't help much either.