PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Picture

Atranox
12-21-2009, 11:53 AM
I know there's a few threads, but I figured I would solidify what must happen for the Steelers to make the playoffs. I'll try to make this short and to the point.

If you want to mess around with scenarios yourself:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario

First off, the Steelers MUST win out to finish 9-7. Assuming we win out, 4 of the following 5 things MUST happen as well:

1) Jaguars lose 1 game
- at New England
- vs Cleveland
- One loss will put the Jaguars at 8-8, where the Steelers will be ahead of them due to a better record. Otherwise if they win out and finish 9-7, they own the tiebreaker over the Steelers.

2) Jets lose 1 game
- at Indianapolis
- vs Cincinatti
- One loss will put the Jets at 8-8, where the Steelers will be ahead of them due to a better record. Otherwise if they win out and finish 9-7, they own the tiebreaker over the Steelers.

3) Ravens lose both games
- at Pittsburgh
- at Oakland
- Both losses will put the Ravens at 8-8, where the Steelers will be ahead of them due to a better record. If they Ravens only lose one and finish 9-7, they will own the tiebreaker against the Steelers for having a better divisonal record.

4) Broncos & Texans both lose 1 game **OR** Broncos lose both games
- Denver at Philadelphia, Houston at Miami
- Denver vs Kansas City, Houston vs New England
- One loss will put the Broncos at 9-7. This will force a 3-way tiebreaker which the Texans will win, unless the Texans lose one game. Alternatively, the Broncos can simply lose out.

5) Texans lose 1 game **OR** Titans win out
- Houston at Miami, Tennessee vs San Diego
- Houston vs New England, Tennessee at Seattle
- Losing one will put the Texans at 8-8. Otherwise if they win out & finish 9-7, they own the tiebreaker over the Steelers unless the Titans win out. If the Titans win out, it forces a 3-way tiebreaker in which the Steelers would win.

As for the rest of the teams in the hunt:

Titans
- The best they can finish is 9-7, even if they win out. We own the tiebreaker over them for beating them this year. They are no threat to our playoff hopes whatsoever. The Titans winning out will really help the Steelers, as it will force a 3-way tierbreaker between the Steelers, Titans, & Texans if all 3 teams win out. In this scenario, the Steelers get in over both teams.

Dolphins
- We play them in Week 17. If we win, the best they can finish is 8-8. They're really out of the playoff picture. It really helps us if they beat the Texans next week, as it eliminates Houston.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
What if Houston wins out?

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Then we want the Titans to win out also.

Atranox
12-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Sorry, I forgot about damn Houston. We do need them to lose one game as well.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry, I forgot about damn Houston. We do need them to lose one game as well.

Hopefully, Miami will take care of them this weekend.

Atranox
12-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Alternatively, the Titans can simply win out, which would eliminate the Texans. It would force a 3-way tie, which the Steelers would win,

SteelKid212
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
so... is that all that has to happen?

shouldnt be soo hard.... :doh:

i hate leaving things to hope and destiny. all we can do is BELIEVE men.
:tt03:

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Here's the simple version:
Steelers must wine no moar kan loose. This is critical.
PHI beats DEN. This is critical.
Other than that, so long as a few key upsets do not happen, we're in. The only help we need is for the chips to fall where expected.

sharkweek
12-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Next week every team in our way has a truly legitimate chance of losing (most of the games have those teams on the road against top playoff contenders), no cream puff games for anyone.

Jags @ Pats

Jets @ Colts

Ravens @ Steelers

Broncos @ Eagles

Houston @ Miami

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
The odds are actually *for* us getting #6 seed so long as we win out.
The only help we need is for Philly to beat Denver, and they're favored to do that at home.

Beyond that, it's actually easier to list what we *don't* want to see happen (and the odds are against those scenarios as well).

* We don't want the Jags to beat New England *and* Cleveland. They probably won't.
* We don't want the Jets to beat Indy *and* Cincy. Most likely, Hell will have frozen over anyway.
* We don't want the Texans to beat Miami *and* New England (unlikely) unless the Titans beat San Diego *and* Seattle (likely), in which case we don't care.

12+88=6
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
i just tried the playoff generator. to me it looks like all we need to happen is win the last 2 and have the jets, jags, and denver loose 1 each. even if the titans and texans win out making them 9-7 in a 5 team tie with denver,pitt,balt the generator had the ravens and steelers as wild cards.

Steelers>NFL
12-22-2009, 06:52 AM
They are not going to the playoffs!!! This is not there year to do anything great or special.
Except fail! And this happens every few seasons.

Crow-Magnon
12-22-2009, 07:16 AM
They are not going to the playoffs!!! This is not there year to do anything great or special.
Except fail! And this happens every few seasons.

I hope beyond all hope the Ravens smoke the Steelers this Sunday. But if Pittsburgh wins and some other teams lose, there is a semi-decent chance that the Steelers get into the playoffs. And once a team gets into the playoffs, anything is possible.

Yeah, Pittsburgh is not dominant in any offensive or defensive category this year (stats not included in this discussion), but they are still a team that could go far in the playoffs. In 2006 the Colts came to Baltimore to play the Ravens in a playoff game, and at that time the poop on the Colts D was they SUCKED! As porous as a sieve. Yet their defense came alive, shut down the Ravens offense and it carried them all the way to the Super Bowl.

Unless your team is 4-10, now is not the time to give up. :doh:

Some of you guys are funny! :toofunny:

markymarc
12-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I know this has been stated several times this season, but it doesn't mean anything if the Steelers don't win their games. Hopefully the Steelers can beat the Ravens and Dolphins and then let the chips fall where they may :tt02:

steelcity1974
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Even though it would be better to make the playoffs than to not...I don't really want our secondary on display in NE, SD, or Indy this post season. Even if Troy returns, he won't be the same player this year and against a good team will probably get reinjured.

Eztarget
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Even though it would be better to make the playoffs than to not...I don't really want our secondary on display in NE, SD, or Indy this post season. Even if Troy returns, he won't be the same player this year and against a good team will probably get reinjured.

If Troy returns at 50% our secondary will be better. Carter and Gay look lost out there at 100%.

steelcity1974
12-22-2009, 03:06 PM
If Troy returns at 50% our secondary will be better. Carter and Gay look lost out there at 100%.

I don't disagree, but I would use Mundy and Townsand over Carter and Gay before I put a 50% Troy out there to cover for those two idiots. Still have no idea why Deshea isn't starting over Gay or playing over Burnett.

Crow-Magnon
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Wha-a-a-a-a-a???????

Once you get into the playoffs, who knows what your secondary will do? Did you read my post about the Colts-Ravens playoff game? :banging:

I don't know what in the name of God I'm doing trying to explain things to a Steelers fan about Pittsburgh's chances if they get into the playoffs :toofunny:, but here goes: no one can ever know what a team will or won't do once they get into the post-season. Some superstars bag it and look like they've gained 25 years in age and some pedestrian players suddenly turn All-Pro. And if any team has the ability to turn things around in the post-season, it's last year's SB champions.

Man, if the Steelers give up as easily as some of you guys do, the Ravens are going to win 42-3 Sunday. :popcorn:

Are you so afraid of potential embarrassment that you'd actually contemplate staying home and thinking about next year's draft rather than attempt to win it all again?

steelcity1974
12-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Wha-a-a-a-a-a???????

Once you get into the playoffs, who knows what your secondary will do? Did you read my post about the Colts-Ravens playoff game? :banging:

I don't know what in the name of God I'm doing trying to explain things to a Steelers fan about Pittsburgh's chances if they get into the playoffs :toofunny:, but here goes: no one can ever know what a team will or won't do once they get into the post-season. Some superstars bag it and look like they've gained 25 years in age and some pedestrian players suddenly turn All-Pro. And if any team has the ability to turn things around in the post-season, it's last year's SB champions.

Man, if the Steelers give up as easily as some of you guys do, the Ravens are going to win 42-3 Sunday. :popcorn:

Are you so afraid of potential embarrassment that you'd actually contemplate staying home and thinking about next year's draft rather than attempt to win it all again?

Like I said, I'd still rather make the playoffs than to not...so I'm not bagging anything. But to think our secondary will suddenly return to 2008 form is just silly. If we make the playoffs and play NE, Indy, or SD, our offense is going to have to score 40+ to win because those teams will score at least the same as GB did.

FYI, this is the 2009 Steelers not "last year's SB champions". We are without Troy, McFadden, Aaron Smith, and Foote. That's 4 starters, 3 of which were pro-bowl calibar. Replace them with Carter, Gay, 75% Timmons, and a rotating D line...you're fooling yourself if you think you'll see the pick 6s like Deshea's, Troy's, and Harrison's this post season.

Hope I'm wrong.

jokerman
12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
as goslash said, Philly must beat Denver and jets and Jags have to loose one. also, we have to win out. these are the most important things. its just possible....................

WH
12-25-2009, 03:48 PM
as goslash said, Philly must beat Denver and jets and Jags have to loose one. also, we have to win out. these are the most important things. its just possible....................

Baltimore or the Broncos have to lose out and Steelers must win out.

Those are the most important things.

GoSlash27
12-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Baltimore or the Broncos have to lose out and Steelers must win out.

Those are the most important things.
Not really. The most important thing (aside from us winning out) is Philly beating Denver.
After that, every scenario that can knock us out is unlikely.

markymarc
12-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Well at least the Titans are officially eliminated from the wild card race now. First and foremost here's to the Steelers beating the Ravens. Then let's hope the Eagles beat the Broncos and Patriots beat the Jaguars tomorrow. It will be a fun day to watch football :tt02:

StainlessStill
12-26-2009, 02:05 PM
We're going to make it!

steel striker
12-26-2009, 02:10 PM
We're going to make it!

Man I sure hope so and, just when things looked impossible we are stil in this thing. Pretty amazing if we take care of business I like our chances of getting in.

markymarc
12-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Man I sure hope so and, just when things looked impossible we are stil in this thing. Pretty amazing if we take care of business I like our chances of getting in.

I agree!

CPanther95
12-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Well at least the Titans are officially eliminated from the wild card race now. First and foremost here's to the Steelers beating the Ravens. Then let's hope the Eagles beat the Broncos and Patriots beat the Jaguars tomorrow. It will be a fun day to watch football :tt02:

With the Titans losing, now we are in the awkward position of hoping NE wins out.

Unless Miami can manage to knock off Houston.

WH
12-26-2009, 05:13 PM
With the Titans losing, now we are in the awkward position of hoping NE wins out.

Unless Miami can manage to knock off Houston.

I don't think either is that far fetched.

StainlessStill
12-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Houston still has to go @Miami, and play New England. If New England clinches the East and do what we need and beat Jax, then N.E might rest. But who knows with Billicheat. I think Miami beats Houston as well to remain alive against Pitt in week 17.

Pitt/Miami

Winner gets in!

MasterOfPuppets
12-26-2009, 06:12 PM
What Has to Happen for the Steelers to Make the Post Season
Posted by Matt Loede on December 26th, 2009 in News

Possible ways the Steelers make the playoffs:

FOR THE 5TH SEED

1) Steelers win out.

2) Houston loses one.

3) Jags, Jets and Denver lose or tie one game and Baltimore loses to Pittsburgh AND loses or ties the Raiders.

Results:

5th seed: Pittsburgh 9-7

6th seed: Denver 9-7

We claim the 5th spot based on a head to head sweep of the Titans and Broncos.

FOR THE 6TH SEED:

1) Steelers win out.

2) Titans win out OR Houston loses one.

3) Jags, Jets and Denver lose or tie one game (Baltimore 5th seed, Pittsburgh 6th)

OR

3) Jets and Denver lose or tie one game and Baltimore loses to Pittsburgh AND loses or ties the Raiders. (Jags 5th, Pittsburgh 6th)

OR

3) Jags and Denver lose or tie one game and Baltimore loses to Pittsburgh AND loses or ties the Raiders. (Jets 5th, Pittsburgh 6th)

OR

3) Jags and Jets lose or tie one game and Baltimore loses to Pittsburgh AND loses or ties the Raiders. (Denver 5th, Pittsburgh 6th)

CPanther95
12-26-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't think either is that far fetched.

Not far fetched - unless New England decides they'd rather play Baltimore in the first round instead of the Steelers.

Would have been much better if the Titans could have won out.

cubanstogie
12-27-2009, 10:32 AM
I really hope after today we control our own destiny. I don't know if it is even possible due to so many 7-7 teams. But it would be nice to be playing Miami for a playoff spot next week so we don't have to worry about other teams. I believe if Miami, NE, and the Eagles win along with us of course we can control our destiny next week. Sound right, or do we still need the Raiders to perform a miracle.

Mean Machine
12-27-2009, 10:34 AM
If all the chips fall correctly, we will control our own destiny. NE, Indy, Phil, all need to win, and of course we do, so that next week, we control our own destiny.

cubanstogie
12-27-2009, 10:37 AM
If all the chips fall correctly, we will control our own destiny. NE, Indy, Phil, all need to win, and of course we do, so that next week, we control our own destiny.

your right, I forgot about Indy. Hopefully they want the streak bad enough to pound the Jets. Two extra weeks of playoffs!

CPanther95
12-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Miami also has to win this week if we want to control our own destiny in Week 17.

Miami win is big also because if they lose, NE goes into week 17 against the Texans with their division already locked up.

bookshelf
12-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Well It's hard to believe that we'd even be talking about the steelers getting a chance in the playoffs with that drought they had in the middle of the season. But the more and more I look at it I'm liking their chances. It will take a bit of luck, sure, but with a couple of clutch wins and some help from the teams that SHOULD be winning their games anyway, they're in.