PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks Had A Bad Game...

SteelerEmpire
12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I hav'ent seen an O-lineman go totally goofy like that in a while... He looked more out of place on that left side than Stefan Logan would have at the Left Tackle position...
Starks started to make me nervous yesterday...

Indo
12-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Yep.

Wallace is awarded my Game Ball

Starks gets the Swift Kick in the Ass award

OneForTheToe
12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I think Starks has had a decent year. He played very well against Jared Allen. He has gotten better at pass blocking good rushers, but a pure speed rusher (see Mathews) still gets him.

Rick5895
12-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Max had a bad game, but he has been solid most of this year. He got beat by speed against the Pack. Not alot of 6'7 340 lb guys would have done much better. IMO

supa_fly_steeler
12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
max also had a good game against dumervil.

Indo
12-21-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm not saying he should be benched or anything crazy like that...just that he needs a kick in the butt to get back to playing well

He had a bad game...it happens...Matthews was all over him

But I also agree he had a phenomenal game at shutting down Allen (and Dumervil, for that matter).

FacemeIke
12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
He had a bad game. He's been pretty good overall all season though. And he should have gotten a lot more help from the running backs. Moore didn't help him at all back there, and many times Arians still went to the no back set even though the Oline kept getting beat on Ben's blindside.

ljk2442
12-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Max Starks is a right tackle, he doesnt belong on the left side... But i am pleased with his performance... if we could get that Faneca, Dawson, Hartings, caliber player on that left side, i really believe the line can be bolstered up.... Overall Ben holds on to the ball so it does make the line look bad at times, but then again at times the line flat out sucks!

If a miracle can happen, and we get in the post season some how... I would not want to play Big Ben and this offense, they just anihalated the number 2 d against the run and 3 d against the pass.... But i do know we run the same D, so big ben had a clear advantage going in

HometownGal
12-21-2009, 04:50 PM
I so wanted to punch Max right in the head yesterday, but everyone has a bad game or two per season and in his defense, that was one of his few crappy performances this year. Overall, I think the big guy has played the best out of all our OL'men.

wootawnee
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Max Starks is a right tackle, he doesnt belong on the left side... But i am pleased with his performance... if we could get that Faneca, Dawson, Hartings, caliber player on that left side, i really believe the line can be bolstered up.... Overall Ben holds on to the ball so it does make the line look bad at times, but then again at times the line flat out sucks!

If a miracle can happen, and we get in the post season some how... I would not want to play Big Ben and this offense, they just anihalated the number 2 d against the run and 3 d against the pass.... But i do know we run the same D, so big ben had a clear advantage going in

Dude get over it.......He is a left tackle now.....And a good one.........That dude Mathews was pretty darn fast/good.......He got 9 sacks and he is a rookie..........
You all quit hatin on Max........

RoethlisBURGHer
12-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Max Starks isn't as bad as some people make him out to be. Guys have bad games, it happens. He's played pretty damn well this year and overall I have been happy with his performance.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Starks reverted to his same old sloppy technique of his previous 5 pro seasons. He failed to get decent depth with a kick slide and he lunged at Matthews instead of setting and using those long arms to keep him away.

And.......for all of you that credit Matthews speed vs Starks poor technique, then please tell me why it was that 6'2" 305lb Cullen Jenkins beat Starks to sack Ben?? I'm just happy that Starks is getting paid like the average OT that he is and not $8million like a franchise OT.

Hoping that Anthony Davis of Rutgers is on the board and the Steelers select him this spring.

Preacher
12-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Starks reverted to his same old sloppy technique of his previous 5 pro seasons. He failed to get decent depth with a kick slide and he lunged at Matthews instead of setting and using those long arms to keep him away.

And.......for all of you that credit Matthews speed vs Starks poor technique, then please tell me why it was that 6'2" 305lb Cullen Jenkins beat Starks to sack Ben?? I'm just happy that Starks is getting paid like the average OT that he is and not $8million like a franchise OT.

Hoping that Anthony Davis of Rutgers is on the board and the Steelers select him this spring.

I don't know... but I doubt it. Seems that if we are going to draft for need, it will be a DB or maybe a NT long before an OL at this point. With the play of Foster at LG, Leg showing himself at center, and Urbik being draft at RG last year (with Trai Essex able to slide out to LT), I doubt we will be drafting for the O line, unless we are in a BPA situation.

7/39/43
12-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Maybe if we paid him $16 million a year instead of the 8-5 fro the franchise tag maybe he will block someone. Hit the road toad

Burghfan58
12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Starks needs to lay off the tastycakes. He looks like he could drop about 20 pounds around his gut. Maybe that would help him get out of his stance a little quicker.:tt05:

Preacher
12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Maybe if we paid him $16 million a year instead of the 8-5 fro the franchise tag maybe he will block someone. Hit the road toad

Oh I see... because he has sucked all year right? Cause he didn't block, to near perfection some of the better players in the NFL?

That's right. He sucks... because either 1, we said he did a couple years ago or 2. We watched him last night and that is fresh in our brains.

As I have said before, thank goodness our bosses don't treat us the way we treat these players.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I don't know... but I doubt it. Seems that if we are going to draft for need, it will be a DB or maybe a NT long before an OL at this point. With the play of Foster at LG, Leg showing himself at center, and Urbik being draft at RG last year (with Trai Essex able to slide out to LT), I doubt we will be drafting for the O line, unless we are in a BPA situation.

I agree that we have lots of interior linemen on the roster right now. I think Colon is 50/50 that he gets re-signed and if he leaves, then Essex could play RT and Urbik, Legursky or Foster compete for the RG spot.

We are still thin at OT as Essex is in the final year of his contract next year, Hills still hasnt proven anything yet and Starks is mediocre at best. If Starks gets injured or just plain sucks........then there is no depth.

While I agree the Steelers will look at ILB, NT, S in the draft, I think they will still go BPA and if Anthony Davis is there at #19, it would be a shame to pass on him. Then again, trading up to #20 this year to get Oher wasnt that big of a jump and it should have been done.

wootawnee
12-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Colon is the nastiest guy we got........If Ben was in a Bar getting into a fight, of all the lineman he has, he would stand next to Big Willie to get his back.....He's one of the only guys in the league who stands up to Nagda.........Bronx represent..........

markymarc
12-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Max Starks was entitled to have 1 bad game this season. Hopefully he got it out of his system and plays well the last 2 games. Max Starks has been very good this season IMO and I actually was not a fan of his prior to 2009.

markymarc
12-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I think Colon is 50/50 that he gets re-signed and if he leaves, then Essex could play RT and Urbik, Legursky or Foster compete for the RG spot.

Personally I believe Willie Colon is our best OL player right now. I really hope the FO extends him after this season. I also really like the depth we have on the interior OL with Urbik, Legursky and Foster. IMO Ramon Foster is going to be a very good OL player for the Steelers. He has already filled in nicely at LG for 2 games.

OX1947
12-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Starks is just not a good player. He is average at best. Colon has improved to above average this year. Hartwig is average by a hair over below average. Kemo is a good guard tinkering above, above average. Essex below average.

Ben doesnt make them look any better when he holds the ball too much and takes those 15 yard sacks. But, you can not blame ben for those false starts at the worst times in the game.