PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we get Troy back for Baltimore?

Merchant
12-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Now would be a VERY good time to return. If we're gonna come out of this thing, we need 43 out there. I've lost all faith in Carter.

Angus Burgher
12-21-2009, 02:54 PM
He said in an interview that he might be back for the Miami game, so unless things have changed, don't expect to see him on Sunday, unfortunately.

4G63
12-21-2009, 03:06 PM
He said in an interview that he might be back for the Miami game, so unless things have changed, don't expect to see him on Sunday, unfortunately.

Thank god. I can honestly say he would be the difference between a win/loss for us. He's that good! Of course, we lose Webb too so that certainly doesn't help us either...looking forward to a typical ball busting game between two good teams!

Angus Burgher
12-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I hope we can win it, simply because that way we will have beaten at least 2 teams in our division. But without Troy, it will be a lot harder. Ben's just going to have to throw for another 500 yards, lol.

Seriously though... at this point I think that's what the Steelers need to do. Just keep piling up points relentlessly because they can't count on any help from the defense.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Thank god. I can honestly say he would be the difference between a win/loss for us. He's that good! Of course, we lose Webb too so that certainly doesn't help us either...looking forward to a typical ball busting game between two good teams!

The Baltimore defensive backfield is very similar to ours when Reed is in there. It doesn't seem to matter who else they put in there as long as Reed is in there.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-21-2009, 03:24 PM
BlastFurnace, I think you should remove the Mora avatar since the Steelers won a game :P

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 03:34 PM
BlastFurnace, I think you should remove the Mora avatar since the Steelers won a game :P

Not yet

In the words of Bill Cowher...."They haven't accomplished anything yet". They aren't even a playoff team this year as it stands right now.

I will remove it if we make the playoffs.

HometownGal
12-21-2009, 03:43 PM
I don't see Troy being back for this game, unfortunately, and hopefully our fingernails (and hearts) will get a reprieve this week. :hope:

steelreserve
12-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, even without Troy, we probably should've won the first game if we'd had Ben. Now that we do have Ben and we're at home this time, I like our odds.

Need4Sweed
12-21-2009, 04:17 PM
How much of a difference will a wk make when he has been out for the past...what?...6-7gms. If he's not on IR by now, i feel he will, and should play THIS wk. If not sit him for the remainder of the yr. Why play in the last gm of the season if its meaningless.

Burghfan58
12-21-2009, 04:29 PM
How much of a difference will a wk make when he has been out for the past...what?...6-7gms. If he's not on IR by now, i feel he will, and should play THIS wk. If not sit him for the remainder of the yr. Why play in the last gm of the season if its meaningless.

If we can get past Balt. and a few teams lose it won't be meaningless. If we lose to Balt. then let him sit.

casteeler
12-21-2009, 04:53 PM
I reallly believe that troy should play in certain packages. Limit his play vs Balt,give that knee some testing and see where it goes. Just him being on the field will give the whole orginazation and fans the boost we need, even if it's a couple of series

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Not yet

In the words of Bill Cowher...."They haven't accomplished anything yet". They aren't even a playoff team this year as it stands right now.

I will remove it if we make the playoffs.

"PLAYOFFS?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!"

priceless....LOVE the reference
:rofl:

csandvik
12-21-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't see him playing this week. I wish he would as we have a realistic chance to make a run at the playoffswith him, but without him I just don't see it happening.

Preacher
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Well, even without Troy, we probably should've won the first game if we'd had Ben. Now that we do have Ben and we're at home this time, I like our odds.

True..

Having our QB is a BIG thing.

LVSteelersfan
12-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I miss Troy. His play was spectacular when he was on the field this year. D%#@ John Madden and his stupid game.

jjpro11
12-21-2009, 10:22 PM
my guess is he won't play again this season unless it's a playoff game.

JEFF4i
12-21-2009, 10:52 PM
I say sit him.

We need to earn this without him. It's there, I still believe.

steelpride12
12-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Im sure Tomlin will adress this during the weekly press conference, but as HTG said prob. not this week against the Rats, but isn't Ed Reed going to be out as well so thats a plus!

Preacher
12-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Knees are tricky things.

I prefer he not play until it is healed. If he has to push it, I DO NOT WANT him to push it to MAKE the playoffs.

I'd rather us make it or not make it without him, then bring him back in to play during the playoffs if we make em.

JEFF4i
12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
The knee is an incredibly complex joint, and as such, can be very...frustrating if there are problems.

My knees are my bane, horrid ligaments on them from years of abuse. Baseball, motorcycle racing, blah...

It'll be best to keep Troy healthy and not play him this season so he can see a few more, than have a repeat injury player on our hands. Anyone else, maybe, but we can't risk it with Troy.

Galax Steeler
12-22-2009, 03:58 AM
It would be nice if we could get him back this week for Baltimore but I wouldn't your breath.

SteelPete
12-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Does anyone know if Troy is coming back this season?

It would be great to see him in the line up this week against Baltimore!!

Don't get a lot of info up here in Canada:tt02::tt02:

markymarc
12-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Knees are tricky things.

I prefer he not play until it is healed. If he has to push it, I DO NOT WANT him to push it to MAKE the playoffs.

I'd rather us make it or not make it without him, then bring him back in to play during the playoffs if we make em.

I second that. If we are lucky enough to make the playoffs then worry about bringing Troy back.

markymarc
12-22-2009, 12:56 PM
We should be happy to have Ben back for the Ravens game. Even with Troy still out, I like our chances with Ben playing this time around.

steelpride12
12-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Ill lend Troy my knee if he needs it. May not be as flexable or such, but better than nothing!

Larry
12-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Now is not the time to risk Troy. I understand why some would like him back but to play the Ravens on a knee that isn't fully healed would just be a bad decision. We should want to ensure that Troy heals as fully as possible for future years, he already re-injured himself once this season and it probably didn't help his long term prospects.

Larry
12-22-2009, 01:09 PM
We should be happy to have Ben back for the Ravens game. Even with Troy still out, I like our chances with Ben playing this time around.

Me too, although I wonder why we had such trouble in Cleveland. We did have Ben for the Bears, Chiefs, Raiders and Browns, so I'm not sure how to judge the situation. These games haven't typically been high scoring, but you get the feeling this one might be with the depleted secondaries. I really don't know what to expect.

Fire Haley
12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Troy is having another MRI today - we'll see.

solardave
12-22-2009, 02:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNmEeTgYLvw

Merchant
12-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Actually there's a CHANCE he could play. he's gonna be re-examined before practice tomorrow and if all looks good, it'll be a breath of fresh air to see 43 prowling the field once again!

jokerman
12-22-2009, 07:30 PM
polamalu will have his knee checked out in an MRI tomorrow(wednesday). he was supposed to originally play for the packers game. watch NFL Network tomorrow to see if he will be back for ravens. man, i hope he is back.............

steelwalls
12-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm a big believer in rust, if he can play I think he should, to put it shortly.

AlleghanyAdams87
12-22-2009, 08:29 PM
I believe the MRI was today, and since they say he will be examined tomorrow before practice, the MRI must of looked okay.

Merchant
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
UPDATESSS... gimme gimme gimme. what time is practice

Merchant
12-23-2009, 12:32 PM
bleh.. doesn't look good. he didn't practice today.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/23/steelers-polamalu-still-cant-practice-on-injured-knee/

GoSlash27
12-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I just read in another link that Troy doesn't anticipate practicing this week, which would imply that we wouldn't start him.

We'll have to find a way to beat the Ravens without Troy.

Merchant
12-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Well. they don't have Ed Reed so at least it evens out.

moedap
12-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Well. they don't have Ed Reed so at least it evens out.

Ed Reed says he is playing.

IMO Troy should sit out for the rest of the year even if we make the playoffs. Should we make the playoffs and miraculously make it to the SB then maybe.

WH
12-23-2009, 03:06 PM
They should just put him on IR and stop leading us on week after week.

I'm getting really bored and fed up with this ''will he won't he'' crap every week.

Merchant
12-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Ed Reed says he is playing.

IMO Troy should sit out for the rest of the year even if we make the playoffs. Should we make the playoffs and miraculously make it to the SB then maybe.

Why should he sit out the rest of the year if he can play. If you haven't noticed our secondary is horrific. If we do happen to make it to the playoffs, we ain't going nowhere without Troy.

SteelMember
12-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Steelers safety Polamalu unlikely to play against Ravens (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_659153.html)
Buzz up!By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Last updated: 2:18 pm

Troy Polamalu, who has missed the last five games with a strained posterior collateral ligament in his left knee, looks like a long shot at best to play Sunday against the visiting Ravens.

The news is more encouraging for the Steelers' beat-up wide receiving corps as Hines Ward and Mike Wallace both said they will play in the 1 p.m. game.

Polamalu recently had an MRI taken on the knee that he has injured twice this season and said the results were "encouraging." He didn't sound optimistic about returning to the field for the must-win game for the Steelers.

Polamalu is not practicing today and he said he doesn't anticipate practicing this week. When asked if he needs to practice on the knee before playing a game, the five-time Pro Bowler said, "I would think so."

Polamalu said last week that he hoped to return for the Steelers' regular-season finale on Jan. 3 in Miami.

Ward re-aggravated a hamstring injury in the Steelers' 37-36 win against the Packers last Sunday. Before practice today he said, "I'll be fine. I'm not missing this (game) for the world."

Wallace said he too will play against the Ravens despite sustaining a laceration on his right knee last Sunday.

Wallace caught a pair of touchdown passes against the Packers, including a 19-yarder on the final play of the game.

I would say that meant... doubtful to out.

moedap
12-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Why should he sit out the rest of the year if he can play. If you haven't noticed our secondary is horrific. If we do happen to make it to the playoffs, we ain't going nowhere without Troy.

A couple of reasons:

1st - I just dont believe someone can come back after a knee injury such as his that fast. The MRI may show that the tear or sprain is healed but considering the wreckless abandon that Troy P plays with (which he showed when he first came back) I dont think it would hold up without further rehab.

2nd - I do not feel we make it far without Aaron Smith in the playoffs so why risk further injury to Troy.