PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks response to Texas A&M

ZornToLargent
01-29-2006, 01:25 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11075105/

A&M has twice registered trademarks for "The 12th Man" label -- in 1990 and 1996 -- that include entertainment services, "namely organizing and conducting intercollegiate sporting events," and products, such as caps, T-shirts, novelty buttons and jewelry.

Sorry, this isn't college.

"I will say this," Lopes told the newspaper. "Our fans have been the folks that have run with the 12th man. It has not been the organization itself. We raise a flag with a 12 on it, it doesn't say 12th man or anything like that. We retired the jersey No. 12 many, many years ago and we've always sort of kept it under that context.

Yeah, we're going to continue to keep using it.

ibleedburgundy
01-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Yeah, if I were the Seahawks, I would tell Texas A&M to blow it out their butt.

SteelerDan43
01-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Well it is a copyrighted thing... and the Seahawks have used it (providing desktops with "we are the 12th man") so I would say A&M has the rights to stop it ala Bears and Bills. The Steelers dont nessarily own the rights to towels as fan items but when people see other teams (Colts, Bengals) using them they all know where they came from. A&M should just lay off, everyone knows The 12th Man is from A&M just like the Towel is a Pittsburgh thing... No need to cause a ruckus, just let the Seahawks have their fun

SteelCityMan786
01-29-2006, 02:15 PM
But Still It's a COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT! And COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT IS AGAINST THE LAW!

SteelerDan43
01-29-2006, 02:40 PM
I understand its copyright infringment but its a matter of how much of a prick you want to be as to if you actually enforce it

Hawk Believer
01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Not realy a football topic but... Copyrighting short phrases has always seemed a bit crazy to me. If Fox copyrights "Fair and balanced," then we all have to pay them a royalty or cease and desist from using it in our vernacular.

Maybe I should copyright "Third and long" before next years season and see if I can make some money off it.

ZornToLargent
01-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Trademark....not copyright.

SteelerDan43
01-29-2006, 06:27 PM
oh well... either or

clevestinks
01-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Everybody is putting the trademark on everything, First Pat Riley with the Three Peat. Hell the local high school here is Riverside Beavers, Oregon State or somebody, college, in Oregon sued them saying their Beaver look just like theirs. Its a friggin beaver!

Rust-Buster
01-29-2006, 10:43 PM
I say the Hawks should keep using it. If A&M wants to go to court with it, there are ways around it, like saying " the No. 12 Man". It's bizarre what you can trademark nowadays.
Seattle's used the 12th man for decades, so what's the big deal now? Oh yeah, we're going to the SuperBowl! ( atrademarked name too, shouldn't be typing that)

Koopa
01-29-2006, 10:53 PM
But Still It's a COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT! And COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT IS AGAINST THE LAW!

really? it's against the law? damn i never knew that shit lol

anyway **** A&M damn hicks don't know what they doing. seahawks should just ignore them

nu4everfan15
01-29-2006, 11:12 PM
i say give it up seahawks... it was tamu's in the first place... its on their flippin stadium... its not just a flag that can be taken down... plus ummm that is wat they are known for since forever...

Koopa
01-29-2006, 11:31 PM
i think they should just take down texas a&m. they are jsut taking space up in the great state of texas

Suitanim
01-30-2006, 10:10 AM
It's not a crime to be unoriginal.