PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Sweed?

SteelerFanInTX210
12-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Last i heard he was ill so he didnt suit up, but now he is on the Reserve/ Non football illness list. I am a huge Limas Sweed fan because im a huge Texas Longhorns fan so i want him to do good. Anyone have any other info?

MACH1
12-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Bad case of butterfingers.

AllD
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
That is an unofficial way of putting him on notice. He better go to Jerry Rice's offseason camp to learn how to deal with the mental game in the NFL or he will be finished in Pittsburgh.

steel9guy
12-21-2009, 08:46 PM
he's "sick."

AllD
12-21-2009, 08:48 PM
He might be the best "go to" guy to drop the Gatorade on Coach T if we win out at the end of the season and make the playoffs.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Jeez he has the flu or something. Give him a break. Get well soon, Limas.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Last i heard he was ill so he didnt suit up, but now he is on the Reserve/ Non football illness list. I am a huge Limas Sweed fan because im a huge Texas Longhorns fan so i want him to do good. Anyone have any other info?

I'm a Longhorn fan myself. I was extremely happy that we drafted him, but his stay with the Steelers has really been strange.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
That is an unofficial way of putting him on notice. He better go to Jerry Rice's offseason camp to learn how to deal with the mental game in the NFL or he will be finished in Pittsburgh.

LOL I wouldn't be holding my breath for that one. I don't think he'll make the final roster next year.

:wave:

SH-Rock
12-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Does anyone actually think he's bad player. I don't, I am sure he's a great receiver, but he is just a frightened little boy. They need him to play him next season and create confidence in him.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Jeez he has the flu or something. Give him a break. Get well soon, Limas.

I agree with you. I remember what life was like at 23 and it wasn't always easy. I hope someone on the Steelers reaches out to him.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Does anyone actually think he's bad player. I don't, I am sure he's a great receiver, but he is just a frightened little boy. They need him to play him next season and create confidence in him.

No. I don't think he is a bad player at all. I think he could be a really good NFL Wide Receiver when he gets his confidence.

Glace
12-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I think he needs a lot more than confidence.

steelerchad
12-21-2009, 10:26 PM
I think he has the skills, he is lacking confidence right now. I want him to come to camp next year and do well. I hope the coaches give him a chance and when he plays I hope the fans do too. We need him to live up to his potential because we don't need to be drafting another receiver high in the draft to replace Ward in a year or 2. We spent a 2nd on him and he needs to start playing like it. We were lucky with Wallace this year. Picking him up with our 2nd pick of the 3rd round was a huge find.

SteelerFanInTX210
12-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Ya he was lights out in the preseason but a no show in the regular season, he needs to be allowed to make mistakes you can't yank him after one drop every game, and expect him to get confidence, just like next year everyone is going to expect keenan lewis and joe burnett to be lights out next year when they barely played this year young guys need PT.

steelreserve
12-21-2009, 11:00 PM
He's either got the flu, or cancer, or something like that. They're basically the same thing.

KeiselPower99
12-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Sweed Flu

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Ya he was lights out in the preseason but a no show in the regular season, he needs to be allowed to make mistakes you can't yank him after one drop every game, and expect him to get confidence, just like next year everyone is going to expect keenan lewis and joe burnett to be lights out next year when they barely played this year young guys need PT.

That young guy is being paid over $800 grand a season to catch the ball when it's thrown to him. He hasn't been able to do that when the opportunities have presented themselves. He's usually been playing on special teams in kick coverage since then and I've never heard his name called once despite being one of our faster guys. If this young guys needs confidence it's probably because he hasn't worked as hard as you would expect from a top draft pick...especially after that AFCCG fiasco last year.

He might have tons of potential, but I think in reality we won't hear much from him.

Angus Burgher
12-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Sweed Flu

:rofl:

ricardisimo
12-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Does anyone think that maybe "sick" is code for something else? Substance abuse, maybe? I have no reason to think that, mind you, except that when a team uses euphemisms, rather than whatever it actually is, it just seems weird.

steelwalls
12-22-2009, 03:19 AM

:chuckle: stepped into that one.

Mags87
12-22-2009, 03:30 AM
i think that he should be in the Hail Mary defense package seeing as how he can put a football on the ground in the endzone like nobodies business. :sofunny:

Galax Steeler
12-22-2009, 04:40 AM
I would say if he don't show signs of improving he is on his way out of Pittsburgh. He has the talent I just don't understand why he can't hold on to the ball.

ricardisimo
12-22-2009, 05:16 AM
I'd rather ask "What's wrong with Dallas Baker?" By all accounts, he had a good camp in '08, and a great one in '09, and then when it came time to make cuts, Sweed and McDonald made it, Baker got the axe.

How bad could Baker be, given the showings of those other two?

theplatypus
12-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Does anyone think that maybe "sick" is code for something else? Substance abuse, maybe? I have no reason to think that, mind you, except that when a team uses euphemisms, rather than whatever it actually is, it just seems weird.

My first thought when reading that article was he's suffering from a lack of confidence and depression.

stillers4me
12-22-2009, 05:55 AM
My first thought when reading that article was he's suffering from a lack of confidence and depression.

Those were my thoughts, too. That happened to Vince Young and look at what he's doing now.

Steelers>NFL
12-22-2009, 07:51 AM
He has sweedalitis - drops the ball frequently. Big Pharma is working on a drug or vaccine to mask the problem.

FacemeIke
12-22-2009, 09:06 AM
If he really is sick at least we can have confidence that he can in fact catch something. At best he'll be an overhyped #4 on this roster. He'll never pass Wallace to crack the top 3 in the depth chart. I say let him go and give him a chance else where.

steelerdave1969
12-22-2009, 09:13 AM

There is no doubt in my mind he needs to go somewhere and learn how to catch the ball. What a dissapointment he has been with the Steelers. I say he is gone soon after our week 17 game vs the Dolphins.

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2009, 09:30 AM
What's with these kids from Texas taking forever to get into gear at the Pro Level?

Indo
12-22-2009, 10:13 AM
The whole thing is interesting...
Does anyone REALLY think that someone would be pulled from the active roster because of the flu (or any other seasonal and temporary illness)? It just doesn't make sense.

Now, it would make sense if he is "sick" because he has been found to have cancer. Hodgkin's Lymphoma is classically diagnosed in people in their early twenties...it's treated with chemotherapy (generally) and one would not be able to participate in something like football during treatment.

I have no idea if this is the case, just speculating...but I imagine that this will eventually be revealed by the team if it is the case---

Tankus_Maximus
12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
he's "sick."

more like, he "sucks".

Angus Burgher
12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
I think he may actually have died at some point during the offseason and has been replaced by a computer generated image on TV. That's why it seems that he can't catch a ball. The Sweed that we saw in the Cincy and Oakland games was actually CGI and that's why the ball seemed to go right through him.

steelreserve
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
The whole thing is interesting...
Does anyone REALLY think that someone would be pulled from the active roster because of the flu (or any other seasonal and temporary illness)? It just doesn't make sense.

Now, it would make sense if he is "sick" because he has been found to have cancer. Hodgkin's Lymphoma is classically diagnosed in people in their early twenties...it's treated with chemotherapy (generally) and one would not be able to participate in something like football during treatment.

I have no idea if this is the case, just speculating...but I imagine that this will eventually be revealed by the team if it is the case---

Well, he could have mono or something like that.

But yeah, right now, it sounds pretty sketchy.

SteelerFanInStl
12-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Whatever's wrong with him, he needs to get his act together in the offseason or else he won't be with the Steelers next year. He has the physical ability. It's the mental part of his game that seems to be lacking. I hate to think that the Steelers wasted a 2nd round draft pick on him but the pick of Wallace has helped make up for that.

DoubleYoi
12-22-2009, 03:21 PM

You sure as hell can yank an NFL receiver for dropping big passes like he has over the course of his short career. It wasn't a one drop here, one drop there type of thing. Limas consistently has found ways to thwart drives and scoring chances. The AFC Championship Game drop would've been enough to cut him immediately had we lost that game.

I think Sweed has Swine Flu from "hogging" all the seats on the bench.

Aussie_steeler
12-22-2009, 03:54 PM

I instantly thought the same thing, I actually typed out a reply and couldnt go through with the post.

When I read non football related illness I instantly thought
A. serious physical illness
B. serious mental illness ( anxiety or depression)

These kids today live on the net and it would be hard not to read the hate that has filtered around.This morning I typed Limas sweed into google and the first auto fill option it gave me was "limas sweed drop". That has got to hurt your confidence.

Lets hope I am wrong because there is a real stigma against mental illness and their is little tolerance in the NFL for perceived damaged goods ( do some reading on Tommy Blake TCU - elite draft prospect)

I hope we are wrong on this one PLATYPUS

VTsteel
12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Tomlin said he wanted to "protect Limas' privacy".

This means to me that it's juicy and personal . . .

My guess:

Crabs

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I instantly thought the same thing, I actually typed out a reply and couldnt go through with the post.

When I read non football related illness I instantly thought
A. serious physical illness
B. serious mental illness ( anxiety or depression)

These kids today live on the net and it would be hard not to read the hate that has filtered around.This morning I typed Limas sweed into google and the first auto fill option it gave me was "limas sweed drop". That has got to hurt your confidence.

Lets hope I am wrong because there is a real stigma against mental illness and their is little tolerance in the NFL for perceived damaged goods ( do some reading on Tommy Blake TCU - elite draft prospect)

I hope we are wrong on this one PLATYPUS

Yeah, I was thinking a substance abuse problem or some kind of physical illness. Not even Willie Reid got put on the IR for no apparent reason. I hope he is OK.

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I was thinking a substance abuse problem or some kind of physical illness. Not even Willie Reid got put on the IR for no apparent reason. I hope he is OK.

I just hope he is going to be okay. His overall health and well being is more important than playing for the Steelers.

cubanstogie
12-22-2009, 06:48 PM
everyone say the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Limas Sweed. I will go first , BUST.

Preacher
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
What a classy thread.

tony hipchest
12-22-2009, 08:26 PM
everyone say the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Limas Sweed. I will go first , BUST.the resident board guru of "be all, end all" will be so proud of you! :applaudit:

today on woodleys weekly spot on sirius he had not yet heard that sweed was on IR and galloway had been signed. they asked him what was up. he said he thought sweed could be a great player and that its sometimes tough when youre burried on the depth chart (vrabel anyone) and not getting opportunities. he also noted how many players dont get that opportunity until their 3rd or 4th year in the league.

im much more inclined to believe a professional in the locker room as opposed to some internet jockeys.

from what little he said it sounds like sweed has been unhappy with his utilization and opportunities (and i gather he probably voiced his frustration).

for all we know, he coulda sat down with tomlin, told him he was sick of this shit and to get rid of him so he could have an opportunity elsewhere. :noidea:

cubanstogie
12-22-2009, 08:42 PM
the resident board guru of "be all, end all" will be so proud of you! :applaudit:

today on woodleys weekly spot on sirius he had not yet heard that sweed was on IR and galloway had been signed. they asked him what was up. he said he thought sweed could be a great player and that its sometimes tough when youre burried on the depth chart (vrabel anyone) and not getting opportunities. he also noted how many players dont get that opportunity until their 3rd or 4th year in the league.

im much more inclined to believe a professional in the locker room as opposed to some internet jockeys.

from what little he said it sounds like sweed has been unhappy with his utilization and opportunities (and i gather he probably voiced his frustration).

for all we know, he coulda sat down with tomlin, told him he was sick of this shit and to get rid of him so he could have an opportunity elsewhere. :noidea:

first of all I was just trying to stir the pot a little, I could care less about if a guy is considered a bust, either he is a productive team member or not. Sometimes high draft picks don't pan out and sometimes a sixth rounder can be a hall of fame QB. What comes around goes around, the Steelers have done very well drafting. I don't see him in practice, so I don't know his potential. All I know he is is big, fast and can't catch. I do think he has dug himself a mental hole so to speak, and IMO his future if any is with another team. He might flourish with a clean slate. $hit happens, we will be fine with or without him. If I am wrong I will gladly admit my erroneous judgment, and know I have no future as a NFL scout.

zulater
12-22-2009, 09:06 PM
I think Limas could be a good NFL receiver, possibly a really good one. But i don't think it will happen in Pittsburgh and I don't think that's neccessarily the Steelers fault. Some players just don't get the message the first time around and it takes cutting them to get them to reach down from within and become the player they have the ability to be.

The old AFL was littered with examples of great players who were washouts on their first team. Len Dawson, Don Maynard, George Blanda, quickly come to mind. More recent examples were our very own Yancy Thigpen and James Harrison. Anyway some people have to fail first to succeed later. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Limas was one of those guys.

Psyychoward86
12-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Im giving him one last chance. IF he even earns a roster spot for next year, and shows some promise, I say keep him here

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2009, 11:27 AM
What a classy thread.

Exactly!! It will probably come out in the following months that the kid has some kind of depression, substance abuse issue or even worse a physical ailment (somebody mentioned lymphoma here). But the majority of this thread chooses to kick a guy when he is down.

vasteeler
12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Exactly!! It will probably come out in the following months that the kid has some kind of depression, substance abuse issue or even worse a physical ailment (somebody mentioned lymphoma here). But the majority of this thread chooses to kick a guy when he is down.

welcome to steelers fever

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2009, 11:36 AM
[/B][/B][/B][/B]

welcome to steelers fever

Thanks. I'm pretty used to many on the board piling on a guy for football reasons, heck I am pretty much at the front of the line for pointing out the shortcomings of Carey Davis and Max Starks.

But, if either of those guys had a "non-football related issue" that put them on IR, I would hope the best for them. After all, this is just a game they play for a few years.......not a life they hopefully live for decades.

markymarc
12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I really hope everything is alright with Limas Sweed. The entire Steeler Nation should be keeping him in your thoughts and prayers. Please take care of yourself Limas.

solardave
12-23-2009, 01:17 PM
I agree with you. I remember what life was like at 23 and it wasn't always easy. I hope someone on the Steelers reaches out to him.

His problem is not a talent problem. He needs to toughen up mentally and hopefully that happens this off season. I'm rooting for him. I think the up side with him out weighs the problems up until this point.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Look, if something is wrong with the dude than he has my complete sympathy as a human.

But, as a PROFESSIONAL football player he has been a flop. That's not piling on, it's simply a fact. I really can't comprehend why, out of all the busts we've seen over the years, the braintrust has such a hard-on for THIS bust to succeed, to the point that they are employing mind-bendingly illogical and bizarre mental gymnastics to try and deny that the kid just doesn't have the mental make-up to play at this level.

markymarc
12-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I really can't comprehend why, out of all the busts we've seen over the years, the braintrust has such a hard-on for THIS bust to succeed.

And can you provide a few examples how exactly the Steelers brain trust has attempted to help Limas Sweed succeed?

GoSlash27
12-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I just stuck my nose in here to see if there was any new info. Guess not. :noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
12-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Its really simple. The Kids Drafted out of Texas are way too immature to make the next step to the Professional Ranks and are unprepared for the work it takes in the NFL To be a super star on a week in and week out basis. I put it all on Texas.

Examples: (Which I've done this before and said it when he was drafted that I was worried about his work ethic because of Texas and what it "demands" of players, which isn't much other than on Saturday.)

Ricky Williams, RB, Took him years to get his head right for the NFL. 1st round pick
Vince Young QB, still trying to get his right for the NFL. 1st round pick 06.
Roy Williams WR, classic underachiever. 1st round Pick 04.
Mike Williams OT, 1st round pick 04.
Derrick Johnson LB, 1st round pick 05. Still developing for KC.
Quentin Jammer CB, 1st round pick 02, playing well enough for SD
Cedric Benson RB, 1st round pick 05, considered bust in Chicago, revival this season in Cincy.
Justin Blalock OT, 2nd round pick 07. Not in the league anymore
Leonard Davis OT, 1st round pick 01, Playing well
Michael Huff, CB, 1st round pick 06. 1 int in 3 years.

There are a lot more, but what I see, is since about 2003, the guys just haven't been performing at a high level once they get to the NFL. It just seems that they aren't Prepared to live up to the 1st Round Hype they get.

They need time or they just don't get it done.

markymarc
12-25-2009, 10:52 AM
That is a very interesting theory Dino! Thanks for sharing that. It does appear that they either can't perform or takes awhile to play in the NFL.

WH
12-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Cut him loose. He's not worth this drama to the team. His cap hit would be better allocated towards Wallace or depth in the defensive secondary. Good luck elsewhere Mr. Sweed, I hope you get over whatever ailments you're experiencing.

ricksteelers55
12-25-2009, 11:48 PM
What a classy thread.

yup exactly what I thought,we dont know nothing about his illness and people are making fun of it...totally classless.

You could expect such comments in Ravens or Bengals boards but It looks like we still have some classless people.

This is way beyond football.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Its really simple. The Kids Drafted out of Texas are way too immature to make the next step to the Professional Ranks and are unprepared for the work it takes in the NFL To be a super star on a week in and week out basis. I put it all on Texas.

Examples: (Which I've done this before and said it when he was drafted that I was worried about his work ethic because of Texas and what it "demands" of players, which isn't much other than on Saturday.)

Ricky Williams, RB, Took him years to get his head right for the NFL. 1st round pick
Cedric Benson RB, 1st round pick 05, considered bust in Chicago, revival this season in Cincy.

There are a lot more, but what I see, is since about 2003, the guys just haven't been performing at a high level once they get to the NFL. It just seems that they aren't Prepared to live up to the 1st Round Hype they get.

Well Done!

Psyychoward86
12-26-2009, 12:29 AM

hampton? Does he have a questionable work ethic? Yes. Can it be denied that we've had the league's #1 rushing defense 4 times with him anchoring the defense? No.

devilsdancefloor
12-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Get well Limas!!!

ricardisimo
12-26-2009, 12:54 AM
hampton? Does he have a questionable work ethic? Yes. Can it be denied that we've had the league's #1 rushing defense 4 times with him anchoring the defense? No.

Or even from this year: Orakpo, or Roy Miller over in Tampa Bay, who isn't even starting and has two sacks. I really don't think Dino's on to anything with this line of thought.

markymarc
12-26-2009, 02:57 PM
yup exactly what I thought,we dont know nothing about his illness and people are making fun of it...totally classless.

You could expect such comments in Ravens or Bengals boards but It looks like we still have some classless people.

This is way beyond football.

I second that!

ricardisimo
12-26-2009, 06:03 PM
And can you provide a few examples how exactly the Steelers brain trust has attempted to help Limas Sweed succeed?

I hope everyone had a fine Holiday. I see rev is still compiling his data in order to answer your request.

Oh, no... Wait, I forgot... He's not going to waste his time on our petty little remarks, which are banal and thoroughly idiotic, but at the same time amuse him to no end. Sorry rev. My bad. We'll try not to bother you with these trivialities any longer.

Now back to the serious, worthwhile commentary... which was what, exactly?

Rhee Rhee
12-27-2009, 09:13 AM

derrick johnson is not developing as an ILB in a 3-4 system but as an OLB in 4-3 alignment he was a mighty fine player.

justin blalock is still in the league and has started all 14 games for the falcons this season....

michael huff recorded three picks within the first two games this year... albeit those three picks are his only ones this year but still... :noidea:

steelcity58
12-27-2009, 10:04 AM
I think Tomlin most likely took a more drastic measure with Sweed, (like he did with Mendenhall) and sat him out except OFF the active roster.

Rick5895
12-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I have been reading the majority of this thread, I must say I do so with a bit of disappointment. Making fun of a player who has either an illness or undisclosed personal issues is to say the least classless. I am a fan of Sweed , have been since he was drafted. Whatever the issues are with him I hope he comes out of it and helps us next season.
Good luck Limas, you are a Pittsburgh Steeler and that means you are part of the best "family" in sports.

Steelers>NFL
12-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Frightened!. He is playing football for christ sake! He is not in war over seas!!!

St33lersguy
12-27-2009, 05:30 PM

:toofunny:

supa_fly_steeler
12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I have been reading the majority of this thread, I must say I do so with a bit of disappointment. Making fun of a player who has either an illness or undisclosed personal issues is to say the least classless. I am a fan of Sweed , have been since he was drafted. Whatever the issues are with him I hope he comes out of it and helps us next season.
Good luck Limas, you are a Pittsburgh Steeler and that means you are part of the best "family" in sports.

i agree, we cannot give up on sweed, people on here are obviously jealous he made it as an NFL player and on the Steelers :tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

lukas
12-28-2009, 03:21 AM
He has far too much potential to give up on so soon. If he turns out the way as his potential dictates, the Steelers receiving corp will be the deepest and most dangerous (on paper) in the NFL. A good TRUE tall and fast #1 receiver (Sweed), the best blocking receiver in the league (Ward), two extremely fast and clutch receivers (Wallace and Holmes), and one of the most dependable TE who has an absurdly high catch rate (Miller).

That's just scary.

=)

SH-Rock
12-28-2009, 03:57 AM
we'll see how sweed does

markymarc
12-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I hope everyone had a fine Holiday. I see rev is still compiling his data in order to answer your request.

Oh, no... Wait, I forgot... He's not going to waste his time on our petty little remarks, which are banal and thoroughly idiotic, but at the same time amuse him to no end. Sorry rev. My bad. We'll try not to bother you with these trivialities any longer.

LOL. Thanks for the laugh!

markymarc
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM

Very well stated!

revefsreleets
12-28-2009, 12:34 PM

What does THIS tripe add? Sweed is a professional football player. In that capacity, he is, so far, a FAILURE.

The braintrust of which I speak is not in the Steelers FO, it's the self-professed geniuses of this board who are still just SURE that Sweed is going to pan out despite the ever growing MOUNTAIN of evidence to the contrary. When I point this FACT out, I get hassled. Does anyone have any data to say that the Steelers FO has NOT done everything in their power to help this kid out? Does anyone here actually think they HAVEN'T?

Why kill the messenger? Because it's easier to be lazy and blast me for saying something that's unpopular (but not untrue) then it is to actually acknowledge being wrong....

WH
12-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Does anyone have any data to say that the Steelers FO has NOT done everything in their power to help this kid out?

Do you have any proof that they have?

revefsreleets
12-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Do you have any proof that they have?
40 years of being the consistently best organization in all of sports. That's a good start.

Do you know ANYTHING about the Steelers at all?

You kids kill me...the less you know, the louder you complain...

WH
12-28-2009, 01:44 PM
40 years of being the consistently best organization in all of sports. That's a good start.

I thought you said you would never respond to me again..... I guess if someone loves you, and you let them go.....they'll come back eventually. I'm flattered.

Anyways, I said they should just let him go a page or two ago. I was just curious if you actually had any evidence other than some bizarre reference or blind statement that only you find true. I guess you leave me dissapointed again. hoo humm....

BehindSteelCurtain
12-28-2009, 01:46 PM
SWEEED SUCKS!!! CUT HIS ASS

markymarc
12-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Let me know when you actually have something showing the Steelers coaches have put Sweed in a good position to succeed. Like I have stated before it's a mental thing for Sweed and that could very well be his failing in the NFL. While I still support Sweed, the odds are stacking against him right now.

It could very well be the Steelers coaches have tried to help him out and it could be that they haven't. We could possibly never know. I have no problems accepting the fact that Sweed could have done better the past 2 years to show he can perform in the NFL, but I refuse to let the coaches off so easy either.

tony hipchest
12-28-2009, 01:49 PM
revs argument = strawman king. hes got nothing else but...

"whaaaaa... harrass... :blah:.... blast me... :crying01: "

....obviously running on fumes.

ironic being that he is the only self proclamed genius on this board. just ask him. he will tell ya.

markymarc
12-28-2009, 01:54 PM
ironic being that he is the only self proclaimed genius on this board. just ask him. he will tell ya.

Man I am getting all kinds of laughs on this thread :chuckle:

revefsreleets
12-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I thought you said you would never respond to me again..... I guess if someone loves you, and you let them go.....they'll come back eventually. I'm flattered.

Anyways, I said they should just let him go a page or two ago. I was just curious if you actually had any evidence other than some bizarre reference or blind statement that only you find true. I guess you leave me dissapointed again. hoo humm....

That's a tall order...if I actually stopped responding to every twit who posts up nonsense it would eliminate my ability to respond to well over half the posts on this board.

Anyway, what's clear is that Sweed is having some off-field problems to go along with all his on-field woes. So, let's weigh the options: Either Sweed is a headcase, and the Steelers are trying their best to help him through this (which is what ALL the evidence suggests, since they are keeping this quiet ostensibly to protect his privacy), OR, as some of the braintrust are suggesting, the Steelers, in a complete 180 of their normal and usual above-board and classy way of handling internal problems, are now conducting a nefarious plot to undermine his abilities and keep their #2 pick in last years draft off the field to keep him from succeeding.

I'm going with the logical and rational and obvious option #1.

markymarc
12-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Anyway, what's clear is that Sweed is having some off-field problems to go along with all his on-field woes. So, let's weigh the options: Either Sweed is a headcase, and the Steelers are trying their best to help him through this (which is what ALL the evidence suggests, since they are keeping this quiet ostensibly to protect his privacy), OR, as some of the braintrust are suggesting, the Steelers, in a complete 180 of their normal and usual above-board and classy way of handling internal problems, are now conducting a nefarious plot to undermine his abilities and keep their #2 pick in last years draft off the field to keep him from succeeding.

I'm going with the logical and rational and obvious option #1.

Actually I would like to clear maybe a misunderstanding up. When I refer to the Steelers coaches helping Limas Sweed with his mental issues I am talking about performance on the field. I am definitely not referring to what is going on now with his off the field concerns.

I have no issues with the way the Steelers organization have handled Sweed's recent off the field concerns. I think they have been very classy and professional about it. They are respecting his privacy and giving him plenty of time to clear things up and I really hope that is what happens for Sweed.

Now I do believe the coaches are partly to blame for the performance of Limas Sweed on the field. I am not saying it's all their fault and Limas Sweed must take responsibility to get out of his football mental funk. But as coaches it is definitely your job to help get the most out of a player on your team.

Once again it's very possible the Steelers have made several attempt to right Sweed's football mental issue, but it's also very possible that they haven't done enough to help him out. IMO when a player fails or busts out of the NFL, it's on them and the coaches must take some of the blame as well.

In any case I truly wish the best to Limas Sweed and I pray he can get everything worked out off the field. His #1 priority is to get himself better and then worry about trying to turn his football career around.

SteelerEmpire
12-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Sweed has simply lost his confidence in himself .... he needs a Psychologist... not a coach.... at this point...

Hayeksheroes
12-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Steelers have got Mike Wallace. Sweed can go to Tampa Bay for all I care.

Holmes, Ward, Wallace, and Miller. Let's draft another rookie or pick up a free agent. Sweed has issues. Golden Tate would be a good offseason pick up.

revefsreleets
12-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Sweed has simply lost his confidence in himself .... he needs a Psychologist... not a coach.... at this point...

Thank you. The braintrust's solution seems to be "Let's all just pretend you're fine, Limas! Go play, and we'll throw you a bunch MORE balls that you'll drop".

The kid obviously has some off-field issues that have leaked into his on-field performance. To suggest that the coaches haven't worked with him ON the field up to this point is patently absurd. I mean, it goes back to the ridiculous notion that they WANT him to fail.

I honestly don't know how people come up with these idiotic notions....

WH
12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
The Steelers can let go of Limas because simply because they don't need him anymore with the arrival of the 60 minute man, Mike Wallace. You can pull a #4 WR off the scrap heap of FA and not have to worry about their targets.

I can, however, see the Steelers keeping Limas for 1 more season just in case, they think he can turn it around, and if he does the FO will have an insurance policy in case Wallace is a flash in the pan.

43Hitman
12-29-2009, 04:05 PM
The Steelers can let go of Limas because simply because they don't need him anymore with the arrival of the 60 minute man, Mike Wallace. You can pull a #4 WR off the scrap heap of FA and not have to worry about their targets.

I can, however, see the Steelers keeping Limas for 1 more season just in case, they think he can turn it around, and if he does the FO will have an insurance policy in case Wallace is a flash in the pan.

Exactly. What would be absurd is cutting a guy that is already under contract, especially a player that was a second round pick. I think that cutting someone with his potential just to save a few hundred thousand is piss poor management.

zulater
12-29-2009, 05:15 PM

Better yet, what about Santonio Holmes, how long until his initial contract runs out? Or Hines Ward, at some point he's going to finally reach the end of the road. There's no reason I know of that the Steelers shouldn't bring Limas to camp next summer. Who knows a good spring of OTA's and if an opportunity presents itself he still might be able to prove himslef an assett to this team.

stb_steeler
12-29-2009, 05:28 PM

Maybe he's goin thru a Vince Young thing. Losing confidence when being pulled out of the game.

revefsreleets
12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
IF the Steelers bring him back, it means he's gotten the help he clearly needs. If they don't, I will absolutely trust their judgment. They VERY rarely miss when it comes to jettisoning players who are either crashing and burning or about to. This isn't a charitable organization, it's a profession football team, first and foremost a business. I don't know why so many posters fell in love with this kid, but they did....it has no bearing whatsoever on what his final fate with the Steelers will be, however...

markymarc
12-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Thank you. The braintrust's solution seems to be "Let's all just pretend you're fine, Limas! Go play, and we'll throw you a bunch MORE balls that you'll drop".

The kid obviously has some off-field issues that have leaked into his on-field performance. To suggest that the coaches haven't worked with him ON the field up to this point is patently absurd. I mean, it goes back to the ridiculous notion that they WANT him to fail.

I honestly don't know how people come up with these idiotic notions....

You obviously know it all. I mean how can this statement be debated considering you are the smartest poster on this board. I guess the brain trust loses again.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know why so many posters fell in love with this kid, but they did.

What a concept........I mean it's such a horrible thing for wanting to support a player on the Pittsburgh Steelers team. So many posters really need to get a clue :blah:

revefsreleets
12-30-2009, 01:34 PM
You obviously know it all. I mean how can this statement be debated considering you are the smartest poster on this board. I guess the brain trust loses again.

Do you have anything other than this to contribute? There are already plenty of people following me around posting sarcastic garbage behind my posts...not sure why we need yet another.

Any facts?
Stats?
Analysis?
Logical assumptions?
Informed opinion?

Glace
12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Do you have anything other than this to contribute? There are already plenty of people following me around posting sarcastic garbage behind my posts...not sure why we need yet another.

Any facts?
Stats?
Analysis?
Logical assumptions?
Informed opinion?

What exactly do you bring to the table except for bashing every single person that disagrees with your opinions....

You're not out here name-calling....but your tone and condescending posts are some of the more insulting posts on this board.

Step down off the freaking pedestal....

zulater
12-30-2009, 02:17 PM
What exactly do you bring to the table except for bashing every single person that disagrees with your opinions....

You're not out here name-calling....but your tone and condescending posts are some of the more insulting posts on this board.

So I wasn't just imagining that? :chuckle:

markymarc
12-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Thank you for speaking the truth. You stated it perfectly.

WH
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
There are already plenty of people following me around posting sarcastic garbage behind my posts...not sure why we need yet another.

This is somehow worse than your ''Braintrust'' remark that has been making it into 50% (there are some statistics for you) over the past few weeks?

markymarc
12-30-2009, 02:36 PM

Any facts?
Stats?
Analysis?
Logical assumptions?
Informed opinion?

Let me start off by stating that when you speak only football, your vast knowledge and contribution is appreciated. Unfortunately the majority of your posts have to always mention about the boards brain trust and of course questioning posters intelligence anytime they disagree with your statements.

If only you could stick to just football talk......then you wouldn't come off as a very condescending and arrogant person.

For the record I felt that I was contributing to this thread with football talk. The only time I got off track was to call you out with your usual brain trust garbage. By the way, I have yet to see any facts, stats, analysis, etc contributed by you in this thread. But I am sure you will come back and say how your general statements and speculation cover all that.

If you want to talk football then that is great and I would love nothing more than to talk strictly football with you, but please stop calling out posters on this board and always questioning their intelligence. If you haven't noticed I tend to agree with your analysis and comments most of the time. It doesn't mean I always will and in those cases we can debate "football" instead of talking nonsense.

Everyone on this board is extremely passionate about the Pittsburgh Steelers and message boards are great tools to debate different football topics all year long. I just wish we could do without the brain trust comments and get back to football talk. I am willing to make an effort and I really hope you are as well.

zulater
12-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Let me start off by stating that when you speak only football, your vast knowledge and contribution is appreciated. Unfortunately the majority of your posts have to always mention about the boards brain trust and of course questioning posters intelligence anytime they disagree with your statements.

If only you could stick to just football talk......then you wouldn't come off as a very condescending and arrogant person.

For the record I felt that I was contributing to this thread with football talk. The only time I got off track was to call you out with your usual brain trust garbage. By the way, I have yet to see any facts, stats, analysis, etc contributed by you in this thread. But I am sure you will come back and say how your general statements and speculation cover all that.

If you want to talk football then that is great and I would love nothing more than to talk strictly football with you, but please stop calling out posters on this board and always questioning their intelligence. If you haven't noticed I tend to agree with your analysis and comments most of the time. It doesn't mean I always will and in those cases we can debate "football" instead of talking nonsense.

Everyone on this board is extremely passionate about the Pittsburgh Steelers and message boards are great tools to debate different football topics all year long. I just wish we could do without the brain trust comments and get back to football talk. I am willing to make an effort and I really hope you are as well.

Oh damnit, there you go acting all like a grown up, while I was enjoying us all just piling on .:chuckle:

Honestly I'm not sure what he has to say? :noidea:. He lost me when he played the "who are you" card the first time I commented on someone's post,:blah: I'm not even sure if it was his? :flap:

But since you speak highly of him here Marc I suppose I'll try to read in between the insults next time he has something to say. :coffee: .

markymarc
12-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Oh damnit, there you go acting all like a grown up, while I was enjoying us all just piling on .:chuckle:

Honestly I'm not sure what he has to say? :noidea:. He lost me when he played the "who are you" card the first time I commented on someone's post,:blah: I'm not even sure if it was his? :flap:

But since you speak highly of him here Marc I suppose I'll try to read in between the insults next time he has something to say. :coffee: .

LOL. I needed that laugh and thanks :wink02: While it may be hard to get, IMO he does have a very high football level of smartness. It can be very difficult to pick out between the brain trust and intelligence comments, but it does happen! Of course it would be just much easier to remove the insults and talk football. Hopefully he can work that out :chuckle:

Steelerroy
12-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Sadly there are several people on these boards that feel their opinion is the only right one and that also talk down to others.I don't wanna mention specific names but I think most know who those people are.I have followed this sight for years and didn't join because of it.I finally did and I find myself not commenting as much as I would like to because of it.I don't feel like getting into pissing matches. I go to other boards alot and find the attitudes much less.This sight is the best at getting information out and is run pretty damn good so I follow more then post and stay out of the drama.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Sadly there are several people on these boards that feel their opinion is the only right one and that also talk down to others.I don't wanna mention specific names but I think most know who those people are.I have followed this sight for years and didn't join because of it.I finally did and I find myself not commenting as much as I would like to because of it.I don't feel like getting into pissing matches. I go to other boards alot and find the attitudes much less.This sight is the best at getting information out and is run pretty damn good so I follow more then post and stay out of the drama.

Well thanks for posting today. And please don't be a stranger...........don't forget that this is a Steelers board and most of the conversations are football related and not pissing matches. We would love to see you join the conversations and get your feelings on different topics.

revefsreleets
12-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Jesus, what a bunch of whiny, oversensitive babies. Grow a set of balls...

I've stated over and over again that there are CLEAR problems with Sweed off the field. This is undeniable fact. The Steelers will handle him as they would any other professional football player. It IS stupid to sit here and spin wild yarns, toss out crazed and uninformed speculation resulting in ridiculous excuses for a guy who has not performed on the field, and rather than come up with some rational and logical reasons outside of the obvious (which I've clearly stated), you babies all just want to pile on me because I'm too mean?

Really?

Pathetic. I don't give a shit if you like me or not. That's NOT the point. I'm tired of people posting up trashy nonsense and whining like little bitches when it's properly identified as such. Half the people posting do NOTHING but complain about things they have no concept of, but rather than read up a little and learn, they'd rather complain more and bellyache that people are mean to them when they say stupid things.

Here's a hint: If you can't handle being called a retard, either stop posting retarded garbage or just put me on ignore.

As for Sweed, the subject has pretty much been beaten to death. I've posted a bunch of opinion and analysis on it, and I DO NOT just post attacks on people who don't agree with me. I call bullshit bullshit, and if you're posting bullshit, prepare to be called to the mat...

markymarc
12-31-2009, 03:34 PM

I've stated over and over again that there are CLEAR problems with Sweed off the field. This is undeniable fact. The Steelers will handle him as they would any other professional football player. It IS stupid to sit here and spin wild yarns, toss out crazed and uninformed speculation resulting in ridiculous excuses for a guy who has not performed on the field, and rather than come up with some rational and logical reasons outside of the obvious (which I've clearly stated), you babies all just want to pile on me because I'm too mean?

Really?

Pathetic. I don't give a shit if you like me or not. That's NOT the point. I'm tired of people posting up trashy nonsense and whining like little bitches when it's properly identified as such. Half the people posting do NOTHING but complain about things they have no concept of, but rather than read up a little and learn, they'd rather complain more and bellyache that people are mean to them when they say stupid things.

Here's a hint: If you can't handle being called a retard, either stop posting retarded garbage or just put me on ignore.

As for Sweed, the subject has pretty much been beaten to death. I've posted a bunch of opinion and analysis on it, and I DO NOT just post attacks on people who don't agree with me. I call bullshit bullshit, and if you're posting bullshit, prepare to be called to the mat...

There's the revefsreleets we have grown to admire so much. You get called out and then become defensive. By the way, since Mike Tomlin has refused to say anything concerning what is truly wrong with Limas Sweed, how do you know it's a mental or confidence thing? And that is exactly what you have stated in this thread....that it's all mental with Limas Sweed. At this point it's all speculation, but you are obviously the know it all for everything Steelers related including what is wrong with Limas Sweed right now.

And when you talk about trashy nonsense and whining I would hope you include yourself since you love to question posters intelligence and love to throw out the brain trust comment so much. How in the hell do you know what other fans read up on or know when it comes to topics relating to the Steelers? Oh that's right you are the board genius and know everything Steelers related including on what fans do or don't know.

Can't wait to see your next brain trust post on this board :wink02:

WH
12-31-2009, 03:57 PM

I'm sure this will really clear things up.

I've stated over and over again that there are CLEAR problems with Sweed off the field. This is undeniable fact. The Steelers will handle him as they would any other professional football player.

Which they are.

It IS stupid to sit here and spin wild yarns, toss out crazed and uninformed speculation resulting in ridiculous excuses for a guy who has not performed on the field, and rather than come up with some rational and logical reasons outside of the obvious (which I've clearly stated)
I'm glad they found some reason to keep Terry Bradshaw (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTe00.htm) after his his first two, terrible, seasons....must have been his potential.

tony hipchest
12-31-2009, 06:55 PM
everyone should aspire to be just like revs who obviously has the biggest balls of them all *cue AC/DC*

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/wrk_wallballs1.jpg

revs, you need to quit crying about people supposedly attacking, bashing, piling on, or hating on you. if you cant stand the heat, get the hell out of the freakin kitchen.

your constant sniveling and "trail of tears" is unbecoming...

you are literally turning into a parody of your former posting persona.

for the life of me, i cant figure out why you would intentionally want to fill the gap that LITP has left. the board has been fine w/o "that guy" around.

if you take a moment to reflect upon all the reasons he was despised, a bit of introspection will show those are the same traits you now go out of your way to exude.

kinda sad really.

anyways i cant wait to read your psycho analysis of sweed. :thumbsup:

43Hitman
12-31-2009, 08:16 PM
everyone should aspire to be just like revs who obviously has the biggest balls of them all *cue AC/DC*

revs, you need to quit crying about people supposedly attacking, bashing, piling on, or hating on you. if you cant stand the heat, get the hell out of the freakin kitchen.

for the life of me, i cant figure out why you would intentionally want to fill the gap that LITP has left. the board has been fine w/o "that guy" around.

if you take a moment to reflect upon all the reasons he was despised, a bit of introspection will show those are the same traits you now go out of your way to exude.

kinda sad really.

Isn't that the truth. Let's just hope Revs never becomes a mod and starts a FF league.:wink02:

GoSlash27
12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
I honestly think he has a personality disorder.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
4. requires excessive admiration
5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Wait.... who are we talking about again? Sweed?

No. I don't know what's up with Sweed...

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2009, 09:30 PM

kinda sad really.

:pde: you mean revs and LITP aren't the same poster ? :huh: the arrogant , know it all, pompous posting styles are pretty indistinguishable. 6 one way, half a dozen the other.....:coffee:

Glace
12-31-2009, 09:35 PM

The funny thing is.....I'm on rev's ignore list :rofl:

Although I DO agree with him regarding Sweed.

He has been given the opportunites...he has failed to deliver. It's clear the coaching staff and Ben have no faith left in him. To be honest, I don't know how much faith the kid has in himself.

I wish him well as a human being, but if it were my decision....I cut my losses.

I kinda doubt he is cut after the season unless this mystery turns out to be more serious than what little information is being given....so, to be fair, I give Sweed this....

I wasn't convinced with Mendy at first either....but he has EARNED my respect and admiration.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2009, 09:49 PM
The funny thing is.....I'm on rev's ignore list :rofl:

Although I DO agree with him regarding Sweed.

He has been given the opportunites...he has failed to deliver. It's clear the coaching staff and Ben have no faith left in him. To be honest, I don't know how much faith the kid has in himself.

I wish him well as a human being, but if it were my decision....I cut my losses.

I kinda doubt he is cut after the season unless this mystery turns out to be more serious than what little information is being given....so, to be fair, I give Sweed this....

I wasn't convinced with Mendy at first either....but he has EARNED my respect and admiration. then can you explain why he stayed on the roster and mcdonald was shown the door ? if the coaches thought he had no future in the nfl he would have been cut ala bruce davis.

cubanstogie
12-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Even though I don't think Sweed will ever amount to anything in Pittsburgh, he will hang around next year. He is under contract and doesn't make a huge salary. If they cut him loose earlier it shows he sucked even more than a lot of us think.

fansince'76
01-01-2010, 05:07 AM
Wait.... who are we talking about again? Sweed?

Exactly. Can we stay on topic here folks? Please? Don't feel much like giving infractions or vacations here. Thanks.

BlackNGold88
01-01-2010, 05:20 AM
He sucks. Couldve seen it coming when we drafted him. Terrible hands and not he best route runner.

Glace
01-01-2010, 09:43 AM
then can you explain why he stayed on the roster and mcdonald was shown the door ? if the coaches thought he had no future in the nfl he would have been cut ala bruce davis.

On the roster, yes....on the field, no.

Big and tall possession receivers, to me, have a HUGE up-side and potential to them. More so than the pure speed guys like Wallace....which I'm sure is why the Steelers are probably going to keep him around for another season. Ben didn't go and publicly ask for a tall receiver because he thought they were pretty. So the hope is that IF Sweed comes around, he can become the threat on the field that Ben can throw to even if he's double-covered, Sweed can get up in the air over the DB's heads and get the ball. Kind of like...oh, I don't know...Randy Moss? lol

markymarc
01-01-2010, 02:59 PM
As long as Limas Sweed can get his off the field issues resolved, then I do believe he will be given 1 more year with the Steelers. First and foremost I really hope he can work everything out and take care of himself.

While I do disagree that he has been given plenty of opportunities here in Pittsburgh, I have no issue admitting that he will not amount to the WR I felt he was capable of becoming. I really thought he would be a steal in the 2nd round and unfortunately it has not worked out that way.

I would love nothing more than for him to resolve everything personally and do a 360 and be a different player in 2010. The door with Sweed is still ajar with a very small crack and maybe he can show something next year. Unfortunately Limas Sweed will probably be another Steelers draft pick I was very wrong about. Good luck Limas Sweed with resolving your personal matters and in the off season.

WH
01-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I would love nothing more than for him to resolve everything personally and do a 360 and be a different player in 2010. The door with Sweed is still ajar with a very small crack and maybe he can show something next year. Unfortunately Limas Sweed will probably be another Steelers draft pick I was very wrong about. Good luck Limas Sweed with resolving your personal matters and in the off season.
Doesn't this make it that he would be going to same direction he is now?

Nadroj 20
01-01-2010, 04:14 PM

:chuckle: yea 180 would be better.

I would like to see Sweed become a good player and i hope he does, i wish him luck with his personal matters as well.

tony hipchest
01-01-2010, 06:06 PM
As long as Limas Sweed can get his off the field issues resolved, then I do believe he will be given 1 more year with the Steelers.

as for any off the field "psychological" issues he may have, all we got to base this on is the wild speculation of message board geniuses who think they know it all.

for all we really know, sweed may have pulled a douchebag move like that kid , back up qb in baltimore, and demanded a trade.

of course the steelers and tomlin wont coddle a kid who doesnt produce the way harbaugh did with smith.

again, i dont know what is wrong with sweed, but the suggestions that he has psychological problems are just as misguided at those last year that said he was "jumbo-tron watching" and planning his endzone celebration, when he simply dropped a pass. in the championship game (coming off cold, as a rookie, trying to replace hines ward).

he could have issues. or he could have told the coaches he wasnt happy with his situation and opportunities and he needed to go.

past history says the steelers will grant that wish. past history also says that limas stands on firm ground. any message board savant who suggests he is a nutcase with head problems, obviously doesnt know his history.

he was well vetted and charachter problems were the least of the concern. now competition problems may be the bigger problem.

had sweed not been hurt his final year, he was projected to be the #1 wr and a top 10 pick in the draft (kinda like that bust ted ginn was).

his ego, dreams, and career, have certainly been bruised, and that is all on him, but only a fool would deny his potential based on the several opportunities he has been given.

its not like he is vernon gholston who had been afforded every opportunity in the world to fail.

that is the TRUE definition of "bust", but i am sure the guru will expectedly take exception.

:coffee:

Godfather
01-01-2010, 06:24 PM
as for any off the field "psychological" issues he may have, all we got to base this on is the wild speculation of message board geniuses who think they know it all.

for all we really know, sweed may have pulled a douchebag move like that kid , back up qb in baltimore, and demanded a trade.

of course the steelers and tomlin wont coddle a kid who doesnt produce the way harbaugh did with smith.

again, i dont know what is wrong with sweed, but the suggestions that he has psychological problems are just as misguided at those last year that said he was "jumbo-tron watching" and planning his endzone celebration, when he simply dropped a pass. in the championship game (coming off cold, as a rookie, trying to replace hines ward).

he could have issues. or he could have told the coaches he wasnt happy with his situation and opportunities and he needed to go.

past history says the steelers will grant that wish. past history also says that limas stands on firm ground. any message board savant who suggests he is a nutcase with head problems, obviously doesnt know his history.

he was well vetted and charachter problems were the least of the concern. now competition problems may be the bigger problem.

had sweed not been hurt his final year, he was projected to be the #1 wr and a top 10 pick in the draft (kinda like that bust ted ginn was).

his ego, dreams, and career, have certainly been bruised, and that is all on him, but only a fool would deny his potential based on the several opportunities he has been given.

its not like he is vernon gholston who had been afforded every opportunity in the world to fail.

that is the TRUE definition of "bust", but i am sure the guru will expectedly take exception.

One of his problems is that the team hasn't put him in a good situation. He's only had a few chances and has dropped passes when he saw the field.

We needed to open up a big lead so we could put him in the game in a non-pressure situation and let him build his confidence by making plays. With the way our defense has been, we've had to keep our top three in to stay ahead or come from behind.

WH
01-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Just further speculation....

If the Steelers are sitting at 12-4...where they should be. I think Limas gets more targets. The reason he disapeared for those 5 games was a mix of his lack of production along with the Steelers not being in the position to be risking games to help Limas build his confidence. As we have all seen Pittsburgh has needed every reception that they have had to win.

There has been no time for love, Mr. Sweed.

Maybe next year.

If he fails next year. :wave::wave:

PS. Did he have a performance drop off in practice before he got send home?? I've look everywhere and it's not documented.

Preacher
01-01-2010, 06:35 PM
One of his problems is that the team hasn't put him in a good situation. He's only had a few chances and has dropped passes when he saw the field.

We needed to open up a big lead so we could put him in the game in a non-pressure situation and let him build his confidence by making plays. With the way our defense has been, we've had to keep our top three in to stay ahead or come from behind.

Bingo...

Or, leave him in and let him make up for his own mistakes.

I think the kid will definitely make up. I am hoping with us. Ward only has a couple three more years with us, we need to be finding the 3rd guy, and soon.

tony hipchest
01-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Bingo...

I think the kid will definitely make up. I am hoping with us. Ward only has a couple three more years with us, we need to be finding the 3rd guy, and soon.

exactly.

i still cant figure out why a board guru would make it into a personal agenda to bash the head in of any and all steelerfans who simply would hope for a 6' 4'' 220 lb receiver to go alongside holmes and wallace when that fateful day comes that ward retires...

or even worse, to go alongside hines and wallace if holmes leaves for greener pastures.

ben asked for sweed. ben has also publicly lobbied for arians. we gotta go with the front offices decisions, right?

i find it odd that an entire group of steelerfans are branded as idiots by a single poster for simply hoping and wishing for the best of their team.:noidea:

i understand that an OSU homer will go through all lengths to bash any player, or any fan of a rival team, but to take it to the extent of bashing any steelerfan who may chose to support a steeler player is a bit sick. :screwy:

GoSlash27
01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Bingo...

The thing with Limas is that he hasn't really found and capitalized on that drive. Every star on this team has an area of off-field preparation that makes him shine. Sweed appeared to come in with the attitude that it was just gonna happen without work, then started faltering when he found out that it just doesn't come on it's own in this league.

I also hope Limas finds what he needs to get him going. That's a lot of talent to go to waste.

HometownGal
01-01-2010, 08:26 PM
exactly.

i still cant figure out why a board guru would make it into a personal agenda to bash the head in of any and all steelerfans who simply would hope for a 6' 4'' 220 lb receiver to go alongside holmes and wallace when that fateful day comes that ward retires...

or even worse, to go alongside hines and wallace if holmes leaves for greener pastures.

ben asked for sweed. ben has also publicly lobbied for arians. we gotta go with the front offices decisions, right?

i find it odd that an entire group of steelerfans are branded as idiots by a single poster for simply hoping and wishing for the best of their team.:noidea:

i understand that an OSU homer will go through all lengths to bash any player, or any fan of a rival team, but to take it to the extent of bashing any steelerfan who may chose to support a steeler player is a bit sick. :screwy:

Hipcheese - seriously - must you continue with the baiting? Gary has asked nicely and now I am doing the same. Please stop. Just as Gary doesn't want to hand out infractions and/or vacations, I don't want to either but if we have to do so, we will. This goes for ALL of you who are continuing this behavior and revs - I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from instigating this any further. Thank you.

BlastFurnace
01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Bingo...

Agree!

If we don't give him a shot, someone else will and I would absolutely hate to see him have a great career with someone else when it should have been with the Steelers.

I still believe he will come through. I'm happy we have a team that does stand behind players such as Limas.

zulater
01-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Agree!

If we don't give him a shot, someone else will and I would absolutely hate to see him have a great career with someone else when it should have been with the Steelers.

I still believe he will come through. I'm happy we have a team that does stand behind players such as Limas.

Honestly I'm inclined to think it wont happen for Limas in Pittsburgh. But I'm still all for giving him one more shot through next seasons OTA's, training camp, and pre season. I have no doubt the guy has big time NFL ability, but I just don't know if he can get his head right for this team. :noidea:

WH
01-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Honestly I'm inclined to think it wont happen for Limas in Pittsburgh. But I'm still all for giving him one more shot through next seasons OTA's, training camp, and pre season. I have no doubt the guy has big time NFL ability, but I just don't know if he can get his head right for this team. :noidea:
I just hope he doesn't turn it around for anyone in the AFC if not the Steelers.

Rick5895
01-02-2010, 05:34 AM
I am hopeful that Limas gets it together, I think he can be a very good player for us, but I have said it before (last season) Mack Brown coddles his stars at Texas, It took V.YOung time to get his head on straight for the NFL, I look for Limas to do the same next season.

Angus Burgher
01-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I still don't think Vince Young is a good quarterback. I think he just had a few good games because he has the best runningback in the league right now.

markymarc
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Alright you busted me and good catch :chuckle:

markymarc
01-02-2010, 12:49 PM

I am with you Tony. At this point no one knows what is exactly wrong with Limas Sweed off the field. Mike Tomlin is not saying a single word on the issue. It could come down to where Mike Tomlin never lets the public know what exactly happened. At this point only the Steelers know what is going on and the fans are all speculating if they say they know what is wrong with Limas.

Actually I think it's completely wrong for anyone to speculate that it's definitely psychological, but of course that won't stop anyone from speculating.

markymarc
01-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Just further speculation....

If the Steelers are sitting at 12-4...where they should be. I think Limas gets more targets. The reason he disapeared for those 5 games was a mix of his lack of production along with the Steelers not being in the position to be risking games to help Limas build his confidence.

I don't agree with that theory. Why would the Steelers need a big lead in order to get Limas Sweed about 3-4 passes a game especially early? This could even be done in the first half.

markymarc
01-02-2010, 01:01 PM

See and that has been my biggest complaint from the very beginning. I am not letting Limas Sweed off the hook because he does have a job to do, but IMO the coaches have failed miserably in helping Limas Sweed succeed at this level.

There is no way any fan can argue that less than 20 pass attempts in 2 season was plenty of opportunity for Limas Sweed. It came down to when a dropped pass did occur he found himself sitting on the sideline and then not see action for a few games.

Limas Sweed's NFL career may soon come to an end, but I blame Mike Tomlin, Randy Fichnter and Bruce Arians just as much as Limas Sweed.

WH
01-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't agree with that theory. Why would the Steelers need a big lead in order to get Limas Sweed about 3-4 passes a game especially early? This could even be done in the first half.

Since the downward spiral that was our Defense and Special teams.....Pittsburgh has forced itself to be in a position where every single play counts on offense because they never know when Special Teams or the Defense is going to give up a TD.

No plays could be used in a will-he won't-he confidence builder experiment.

If Limas Sweed was going to see time on the field it would have been in Cleveland. When Ward played at 45-50% that night, part of me thought something wasn't right.

WH
01-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Limas Sweed's NFL career may soon come to an end, but I blame Mike Tomlin, Randy Fichnter and Bruce Arians just as much as Limas Sweed.
I would hold off on blaming anyone but Limas Sweed until we find out why he was sent home.

If Tomlin thinks that he has any fault in his failure or lack of chances, I think Tomlin will admit that.

steeltheone
01-02-2010, 01:46 PM
BustBustBustBustBustBustBust

markymarc
01-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Since the downward spiral that was our Defense and Special teams.....Pittsburgh has forced itself to be in a position where every single play counts on offense because they never know when Special Teams or the Defense is going to give up a TD.

No plays could be used in a will-he won't-he confidence builder experiment.

If Limas Sweed was going to see time on the field it would have been in Cleveland. When Ward played at 45-50% that night, part of me thought something wasn't right.

Our downward spiral on defense mostly happened in the 4th quarter of games. We were normally in games through the first 3 quarters. I am not talking about having Limas Sweed out there in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line. I am saying there is absolutely no reason what so ever to getting Sweed out there in the first half and maybe even the 3rd quarter and throw some footballs to him.

We were not getting blown out in the first half of games. Sorry but I still don't buy your theory of having to blow out opponents in order to get Limas Sweed in the game.

markymarc
01-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I would hold off on blaming anyone but Limas Sweed until we find out why he was sent home.

If Tomlin thinks that he has any fault in his failure or lack of chances, I think Tomlin will admit that.

I am not talking about why Limas Sweed was deactivated for the rest of this season. I am talking about all actions prior to that. We can debate this for a long time, but the Steelers coaches have to take responsibility some what for not allowing Limas Sweed to succeed on the football field. In my view they are to blame as well.

I wanted to make 1 more point on this argument with Limas Sweed. I am aware that they play different positions, but both of them are in their 2nd season with the Steelers. Most of the Steeler Nation have witnessed the bad play of William Gay this season. He has been horrible.

Not let me ask this question. Considering how bad William Gay has played, why did the coaches allow him to continue to go out on the field? Even when he was benched against the Ravens, he still saw a lot of playing time defensively. They are obviously allowing William Gay to play through his issues. Why couldn't the same opportunities be given to Limas Sweed?

WH
01-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Not let me ask this question. Considering how bad William Gay has played, why did the coaches allow him to continue to go out on the field? Even when he was benched against the Ravens, he still saw a lot of playing time defensively. They are obviously allowing William Gay to play through his issues. Why couldn't the same opportunities be given to Limas Sweed?
Mike Wallace.

and I didn't mean that the Steelers have to be blowing out and opponent, I mean that they can't afford to lose any plays on a player that can't prove himself.

Look at it in these hypothetical ways: The Steelers are 6-7 going into the Green Bay game, in basic Superbowl importance game mode (since 1 loss means the seasons is definately over) Tomlin/Arians/Ben decides to toss the ball to Limas to [I]maybe[I] help his confidence. 1st quarter, the Steelers are tied 7-7, 1st and 10. Ben throws the ball to Limas, he drops it. 1. Confidence 100% shattered. Team, Coaches, and himself (and whatever fan base he has left on his side) give up. 2. Steeler don't convert 3rd down, green bay gets the ball back and scores a TD 14-7. Steelers end up losing. Season over.

I know we'd like to think ''hey it's only 1 play'' but in almost every Steelers game it's always come down to 1 play. Like Tomlin/Arians/Ben wants to have his team thinking ''why, with these dire circumstances do you throw it to Sweed''.....Again, This is only a ''what if'' situation...sure they could have comeback regardless blah blah blah, internet nitpick, internet nitpick......just play along

Tomlin/Arians/Ben couldn't afford [I]risking[I] that one play on helping Limas' confidence. Especially when you have 5 or 6 guys on the field that are more trustable.

Situation 2. Steelers are 11-2, AFC north all but locked up, playoff spot guaranteed.
Going into the Green Bay game. NOW they have a little breathing room to try and help Limas' confidence and can toss him the ball a few times. Steelers lose, ok, 11-3...season's not over.

Maybe Limas' confidence is shot, but the other 52 guys on the roster aren't now guaranteed to be in Palm Beach, FL playing golf on January 20th.

I didn't mean the Steelers had to be blowing out opponents, I meant the Steelers had to have a more stable W-L record.

GoSlash27
01-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Mike Wallace.
Hear, hear. We rotated our DBs around trying to find a cure for the sucky, remember? If we had found anyone, Willie Gay would be benched.

LukesDad88
01-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Hear, hear. We rotated our DBs around trying to find a cure for the sucky, remember? If we had found anyone, Willie Gay would be benched.

Heck, big guy, speed, bad hands, maybe we should have replaced Gay with Sweed...

GoSlash27
01-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Heck, big guy, speed, bad hands, maybe we should have replaced Gay with Sweed...
Haha That's one way to make sure the ball gets dropped in the end zone! :chuckle:

WH
01-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Sweed was a Defensive Back in high school.......

revefsreleets
01-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Hilarious. Simply hilarious....this thread reads like a "who's-who" of people I've called out in the last two months.

You post bullshit, I'm going to call bullshit....and if you whine and cry about it, I'm going to comment on that too.

Who said FOR SURE that Sweed has a psychological disorder? He CLEARLY has some kind of off-field malady that is serious enough to keep him off the field, though, and it probably IS in his head. My point is simply this: He's been a bust so far, and he's NOT getting any closer to improving that standing. To CONTINUALLY watch people attack me because I have the audacity to simply tell the truth is beyond the pale.

And, please, Tony, dude, let it go....You are PERMANENTLY on my ignore. Stop directing posts towards me. I will NEVER respond to your posts, taunts, and disgruntled frustrated nonsense again.

HometownGal
01-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Whelp - looks like it's time for this thread to die.

WARNING: If we see this toddler vendetta being carried over into other threads, there are going to be some vacations handed out. This thread was totally ruined by the jr. high hazing. We aren't going to allow this to happen to any other thread.