View Full Version : Sweed, Warren done for year

mesaSteeler
12-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Sweed, Warren out for season
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_658867.html
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 21, 2009
Last updated: 7:32 pm

The Steelers have two roster spots to fill after placing long snapper Greg Warren on injured reserve and wide receiver Limas Sweed on the reserve/non-football illness list.

Both are out for the rest of the season.

Warren had to be carried off the field Sunday after Jeff Reed kicked the extra point that gave the Steelers a 37-36 win over the Green Bat Packers. He appeared to have torn the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee.

Sweed, who caught just one pass for five yards this season, didn't dress for the game against the Packers because of the illness.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Sweed, Warren out for season
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_658867.html
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 21, 2009
Last updated: 7:32 pm

The Steelers have two roster spots to fill after placing long snapper Greg Warren on injured reserve and wide receiver Limas Sweed on the reserve/non-football illness list.

Both are out for the rest of the season.

Warren had to be carried off the field Sunday after Jeff Reed kicked the extra point that gave the Steelers a 37-36 win over the Green Bat Packers. He appeared to have torn the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee.

Sweed, who caught just one pass for five yards this season, didn't dress for the game against the Packers because of the illness.

What "illness?" Dropitus? :rolleyes:

mesaSteeler
12-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Sweed out for season for reasons unknown
December 21, 8:14 PMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m12d21-Sweed-out-for-season-for-reasons-unknown

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers announced today that long snapper Greg Warren and wide receiver Limas Sweed will miss the remainder of the season.

Warren, a fifth-year pro, has been placed on the Reserve/Injured list with a right knee injury after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) on the final play of Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers.

He signed a three-year, $2.3 million contract with the Steelers in 2008.

Second-year wide receiver Sweed has been placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Illness list. No further information has been released by the team, but sources have said he has been home sick and not happy with his play this season.

The Steelers will add two players to complete their 53-man roster prior to Sunday’s 1 p.m. regular season home finale against the Baltimore Ravens.

Jared Retkofsky , who replaced Warren last season, and was in camp this summer could be heading back to Pittsburgh according to one league source. He is currently playing in the United Football League with the New York Sentinals. He was the Steelers long snapper in Super Bowl XLIII.

mesaSteeler
12-21-2009, 08:39 PM
In Sweed's case I suspect that the "illness" is not physical. He is turning into one of the worst high round busts we had in a long time.

tony hipchest
12-21-2009, 08:39 PM
maybe he needed surgery to remove the splinters from his ass. :noidea:

hopefully mcdonald is on speed dial (or maybe we're just clearing room for some more special teams contributors).

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Sweed out for season for reasons unknownDecember 21, 8:14 PMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m12d21-Sweed-out-for-season-for-reasons-unknown (http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner%7Ey2009m12d21-Sweed-out-for-season-for-reasons-unknown)

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers announced today that long snapper Greg Warren and wide receiver Limas Sweed will miss the remainder of the season.

Warren, a fifth-year pro, has been placed on the Reserve/Injured list with a right knee injury after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) on the final play of Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers.

He signed a three-year, $2.3 million contract with the Steelers in 2008.

Second-year wide receiver Sweed has been placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Illness list. No further information has been released by the team, but sources have said he has been home sick and not happy with his play this season.

The Steelers will add two players to complete their 53-man roster prior to Sunday’s 1 p.m. regular season home finale against the Baltimore Ravens.

Jared Retkofsky , who replaced Warren last season, and was in camp this summer could be heading back to Pittsburgh according to one league source. He is currently playing in the United Football League with the New York Sentinals. He was the Steelers long snapper in Super Bowl XLIII.

Okay, does that mean he is at home and ill, or "Homesick?" If it's the latter then someone needs to go smack him and tell him man the eff up.

You think the men and women in the desert aren't a little "homesick" you little bitch?

:banging:

mesaSteeler
12-21-2009, 08:41 PM
maybe he needed surgery to remove the splinters from his ass. :noidea:

hopefully mcdonald is on speed dial (or maybe we're just clearing room for some more special teams contributors).

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::hatsoff ::hatsoff::rofl::rofl::rofl:

steel9guy
12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
What "illness?" Dropitus? :rolleyes:

Yep, he has a strain of dropitus mixed with screw your team out of a gamefluenza.

Preacher
12-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Actually, I think the same thing happened to him that happened to Frank Summers.

You-- ARE SICK. Now go home. See you in the offseason workouts.

tony hipchest
12-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Okay, does that mean he is at home and ill, or "Homesick?" If it's the latter then someone needs to go smack him and tell him man the eff up.

You think the men and women in the desert aren't a little "homesick" you little bitch?

:banging:he has been at home, sick.... not "homesick".

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Actually, I think the same thing happened to him that happened to Frank Summers.

You-- ARE SICK. Now go home. See you in the offseason workouts.

I'm convinced Frank pulled a Bettis and that to avoid either a demotion or being cut, he suffered what Tomlin called a "mysterious injury." I'm not sure he would have been cut, but I'll bet he though it was possible.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
he has been at home, sick.... not "homesick".

So ill and not happy about his performance. Well, I've been that too a few times since we drafted him. :chuckle:

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 08:59 PM
he has been at home, sick.... not "homesick".

Lame....no other word for it....LAME.
:coffee:

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I hope he's ok. This is a little strange.

devilsdancefloor
12-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I hope he's ok. This is a little strange.

:iagree: very strange.... maybe a CB & ILB?

Glace
12-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Goodbye, Sweeeeed! Good riddance!!!

Enjoy life bagging groceries, because you'll never play in the NFL again.

7willBheaven
12-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Hopefully there is nothing legitimately wrong with Sweed. I'm not going to throw him under the bus (or hope he doesnt play in the NFL again or anything like that) as some have done. He looked good in preseason and other than being in the game for like 5 plays total this year (with the one big TD drop and the other time he was thrown to it wasnt catchable). So I still see potential there...he just needed to play more in my opinion, but oh well.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Goodbye, Sweeeeed! Good riddance!!!

Enjoy life bagging groceries, because you'll never play in the NFL again.

Well, conversely is the idea that he rededicates himself and comes back to help us.

Glace
12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Well, conversely is the idea that he rededicates himself and comes back to help us.

I've yet to see it...he's had more than enough opportunities in my book.

BlastFurnace
12-21-2009, 09:22 PM
I think he deserves one more chance. I'm hoping he comes in and proves his worth.

ljk2442
12-21-2009, 09:53 PM
i think sweed has this bad gut feeling he wont be with the black and gold next season! I am highly confident we can find a 4th - 6th round reciever than can contribute more than Sweed has....

Remember we can blame sweed for losing to Cinncy earlier this year... well he was one of the factors!

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Or on a negative note, he could rededicate himself if the Steelers give up on him and come back to haunt us.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Man I am disappointed I was looking forward to seeing him sport the latest Steeler gear ala Duce Staley

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I think he deserves one more chance. I'm hoping he comes in and proves his worth.

I'm not sure how deserving he is of it, but I would like to see that too.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 10:02 PM
i think sweed has this bad gut feeling he wont be with the black and gold next season! I am highly confident we can find a 4th - 6th round reciever than can contribute more than Sweed has....

Remember we can blame sweed for losing to Cinncy earlier this year... well he was one of the factors!

Well, he did drop a TD pass, but that's a far cry from giving up a TD return, throwing a pick six, missing a FG or letting Cincy drive down for the winning score.

Sweed was the least of our problems in that one.

Glace
12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't understand why...with so many people calling for Arians to be decapitated....that so many more of you are hoping Limas gets yet ANOTHER chance....

How many more does he have to drop before enough is enough?

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, he did drop a TD pass, but that's a far cry from giving up a TD return, throwing a pick six, missing a FG or letting Cincy drive down for the winning score.

Sweed was the least of our problems in that one.

I agree with this. I still think Sweed can get it done although time is running out on him. I have said before that it generally takes 3 years for a WR to get with the NFL game, so he gets one more season in my book. After that, I think it would be safe to consider him a bust. The last thing we want is to let him go prematurely and have it come back to bite us on the ass.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't understand why...with so many people calling for Arians to be decapitated....that so many more of you are hoping Limas gets yet ANOTHER chance....

You seem like the stereotypical negative minded Steelers fan. With that, does it really matter to you why we might think that? ...Aren't we just wrong? :noidea:

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 10:11 PM

Well, I think he has only had like 15 balls thrown to him in 2 years. Hardly enough time to get a good indication of what he can do with this team imo. How often do we even throw to our 4th receiver?

Glace
12-21-2009, 10:12 PM
heh, I don't even see it coming back to bite us...

Even Gay could cover him...see the ball coming his way....and go "AAABOOGABOOGABOOGA!!!!" and Sweed drops it.

Either that or just put him on the jumbotron so he can watch that mid-catch instead of keeping his eyes on the ball.

Remember that last year? He's watching the EFFING JUMBOTRON instead of making the catch....they caught that....plain as day in slow motion.

Glace
12-21-2009, 10:13 PM
You seem like the stereotypical negative minded Steelers fan. With that, does it really matter to you why we might think that? ...Aren't we just wrong? :noidea:

Who the heck knows or cares who is right and wrong anymore.

It's my opinion...you have yours.

In the end, it's on the coaching staff.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
heh, I don't even see it coming back to bite us...

Even Gay could cover him...see the ball coming his way....and go "AAABOOGABOOGABOOGA!!!!" and Sweed drops it.

Either that or just put him on the jumbotron so he can watch that mid-catch instead of keeping his eyes on the ball.

Remember that last year? He's watching the EFFING JUMBOTRON instead of making the catch....they caught that....plain as day in slow motion.

BS! That was the AFCCG and the announcers said that, but it was bull. They showed it in slow motion and even then it was a split second that his eyes even went that way.

Besides, he was a rookie then. I agree with Hitman. It takes a few years for the avg. WR coming out of college to learn and make an impact. I have no question that he has the tools. What remains to be seen is if he has the aptitude and I'd give him one more year to prove it.

Glace
12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I guess my full line of thought is that we're going to have to give him one more year....

We have no room to be going after WR's in the draft with some of the other glaring needs that we have.

But if MT decides to let him go...I will not be upset in the least.

NJarhead
12-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I guess my full line of thought is that we're going to have to give him one more year....

We have no room to be going after WR's in the draft with some of the other glaring needs that we have.

But if MT decides to let him go...I will not be upset in the least.

I will be only if he gets picked up and proves himself. I was frustrated with him too, but at the same time, he needs a little more experience.

On the plus side, he did knock out Cory Ivy in that game. :chuckle:

Compliments of the School of Hines Ward.

Shea
12-21-2009, 10:29 PM

I agree. I'm not ready to give up on Sweed yet. I can understand the fanbase and their frustrations with him to this point but give him some more time to get his head on straight and see what he brings to TC next summer.

And as far as being sick, perhaps he is. Swine flu?? Who knows.....

It does seems like something fishy is going on though.

LVSteelersfan
12-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't know what to think about Sweed. I do agree that they haven''t given him enough chances this year. BUT, the coaching staff has him in practice. They probably see things we have no idea of that do not give them confidence in him. Hines is not going to be here forever. We need someone to step up. Hopefully it can be Sweed but who knows.

7willBheaven
12-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Well, I think he has only had like 15 balls thrown to him in 2 years. Hardly enough time to get a good indication of what he can do with this team imo. How often do we even throw to our 4th receiver?

Exactly.

wootawnee
12-22-2009, 01:12 AM
BS! That was the AFCCG and the announcers said that, but it was bull. They showed it in slow motion and even then it was a split second that his eyes even went that way.

Besides, he was a rookie then. I agree with Hitman. It takes a few years for the avg. WR coming out of college to learn and make an impact. I have no question that he has the tools. What remains to be seen is if he has the aptitude and I'd give him one more year to prove it.

Your totally correct, most of the time......Plus he came off of a severe wrist injury coming into his rookie year.........Some guys just have to do a little more mental work than others getting up to the NFL speed........Look how long it took Harrison......If he keeps pluggin he could be a great player.........He has to work hard though.......If he does, anything is possible..........You can't rush mental stuff in the game......You can't fake it........If you do, you will either get burnt for td's, mess up blitzs, throw multiple picks, miss blocking assignments, make stupid coaching decisions, or drop td passes..........Some kids have to try way harder than others........

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-22-2009, 01:39 AM
I dont know. Something is telling me there is some kind of problem like substance abuse or something like that. Or he got H1N1 and is on a respirator. This just sounds fishy.

Even Willie Reid never got put on the IR without being injured.

Galax Steeler
12-22-2009, 04:45 AM

That is the reason he has only 15 balls thrown to him out of those 15 may have caught 4. Ben does not have the confidence to throw to him.

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 12:46 PM
This is not good news for the people on-board the Marvin Lewis "12 strikes and you're still not out" bus...you know, the people who think that if we JUST throw him another 100 passes, maybe by pass #60 he'll start catching them...

Some draft picks just don't pan out, even for the Steelers. For every Lamar Woodley, there's an Alonzo Jackson. For every Mike Wallace, there's a Limas Sweed. Never understood why people took Sweed's failure so personally though...