PDA

View Full Version : Steelers could control playoff destiny in week 17

steelerchad
12-22-2009, 09:21 AM
The playoff possibilities are many in the AFC right now. But a week ago, not many would have thought the Steelers had much of a chance to get in. Now, a week later they can not only get in, but they can actually control their own destiny going into the week 17 matchup with the Dolphins. The below scenario in this weekends games would mean a winner take all matchup with the Dolphins. Winner is in, loser is going home.

Pit over Balt
Philly over Denver
Colts over Jets
Pats over Jags

All the above 4 teams needing to win are at home also and will be favored. This could actually happen and then we wouldn't have to hold our breathe the last week waiting for help.

Side note: If the above happens this week and the Dolphins beat Houston. The Ravens would become Steelers fans against the Dolphins.
If the Steelers beat the Dolphins, the Ravens and Steelers get the wildcards. If the Dolphins win that game, the Broncos and Dolphins get the wildcards regardless of whether the Ravens beat Oakland or not.

Crow-Magnon
12-22-2009, 09:32 AM
The playoff possibilities are many in the AFC right now. But a week ago, not many would have thought the Steelers had much of a chance to get in. Now, a week later they can not only get in, but they can actually control their own destiny going into the week 17 matchup with the Dolphins. The below scenario in this weekends games would mean a winner take all matchup with the Dolphins. Winner is in, loser is going home.

Pit over Balt
Philly over Denver
Colts over Jets
Pats over Jags

All the above 4 teams needing to win are at home also and will be favored. This could actually happen and then we wouldn't have to hold our breathe the last week waiting for help.

Side note: If the above happens this week and the Dolphins beat Houston. The Ravens would become Steelers fans against the Dolphins.
If the Steelers beat the Dolphins, the Ravens and Steelers get the wildcards. If the Dolphins win that game, the Broncos and Dolphins get the wildcards regardless of whether the Ravens beat Oakland or not.

Although I hope to God above that the Ravens beat the Steelers this Sunday, if they don't, it would be kinda cool to see Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati in the playoffs.

And if any of the above take down Indy, so much the better! :drink:

Hotrodder07
12-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Although I hope to God above that the Ravens beat the Steelers this Sunday, if they don't, it would be kinda cool to see Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati in the playoffs.

And if any of the above take down Indy, so much the better! :drink:

I can't believe it. After the Cleveland game, I thought we barely had any chance at the playoffs. This is incredible.

By the way, I'm definitely rooting for the Ravens and Steelers as the wildcards. That would be very exciting.

eafratitpm3
12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I have a good feeling, I just watched Tim Hassleback on ESPN talking about the AFC Playoof race and he said that the Ratbirds and the Donkeys will get the 5th & 6th seed. He made no sense on what he was saying, his whole reasoning was that teams that have something to play for would win. He followed that up by saying that the Steelers would lose to the Ratbirds and then beat the Phins. I'm confident that with him not picking us that we are a shoe in. He was a terrible QB and even a worse ANALyst! GO STEELERS!!!!

steelerchad
12-22-2009, 10:03 AM
I have a good feeling, I just watched Tim Hassleback on ESPN talking about the AFC Playoof race and he said that the Ratbirds and the Donkeys will get the 5th & 6th seed. He made no sense on what he was saying, his whole reasoning was that teams that have something to play for would win. He followed that up by saying that the Steelers would lose to the Ratbirds and then beat the Phins. I'm confident that with him not picking us that we are a shoe in. He was a terrible QB and even a worse ANALyst! GO STEELERS!!!!

Hasselbacks an idiot. He was even spewing hate last year at the Steelers even though they looked great most of the year.

Crow-Magnon
12-22-2009, 10:04 AM
I can't believe it. After the Cleveland game, I thought we barely had any chance at the playoffs. This is incredible.

By the way, I'm definitely rooting for the Ravens and Steelers as the wildcards. That would be very exciting.

Is it theoretically possible that if Baltimore and Pittsburgh make it into the post-season and both of them win their first two games, that the AFCC could be Steelers at Ravens?

A switcheroo repeat of last year's AFCC would be surreal.

steelreserve
12-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Is it theoretically possible that if Baltimore and Pittsburgh make it into the post-season and both of them win their first two games, that the AFCC could be Steelers at Ravens?

I think that's exactly what would happen. The #5 and #6 seeds could only play each other in the conference championship.

So you guys had better get off your asses and lose this weekend.

SteelMember
12-22-2009, 10:18 AM

We did just resign our superbowl snapper... Stranger things have happened.

steelerchad
12-22-2009, 10:26 AM

It is possible. Of course like you said it would be in Baltimore if it happened. There are a very few scenarios that could give Pit the #5 and Ravens #6 seed which could put the game in Pit. You would have to lose both and then have a bunch of other teams lose for this to happen.
I could live with that outcome , a one game winner take all in Baltimore for the right to go to the SuperBowl. Hell, I live in Richmond and would even make the trip for that one although I'd pay alot more than I would have in Pittsburgh. I'm getting ready to request my refund from my home playoff game payment soon. :banging:

Hey Crow- I actually bumped one of my old threads from October titled AFC North- 3 playoff teams. I'm thinking this is a real possibility, although it would require we beat you this week to happen. :noidea: It's kind of funny to read everyone's posts from 2 months ago. Most said the Ravens had very little chance to make it. Now it's the Steelers who are more likely to miss than the Ravens. Even my original post said the Ravens were competing with the Chargers for a Wildcard. Hell they're 11-3 and Denver has fallen to pieces.

How about you let us win this one and we'll beat Miami next week for you, so we both get in.:drink:

SteelKid212
12-22-2009, 10:35 AM
okok.... i know its sooo easy to look far ahead into the playoffs now that "new light" has been shun and we have a chance again.... but seriously people.

we still have to win out for anything to even be possible.
in the last 6 games. we've only won one. and that was in the final second on a miracle tippy toe catch for the TD.

now we have a tough raven team also starving for a win. and dolphin team fighting for there lives the following week also (given they win this weekend).
add to all that, that our defense is not a playoff calibur defense! not even close!!!!

definetly not an easy task.
so before we jump the gun here.. lets just focus on the task at hand. BEATING THE RATBIRDS!:tt03:

KeiselPower99
12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
We win this week and all the other stuff is very possible. I really think we win this week and then beat Miami to get the 6 seed. When we do this will have been the wierdest damn season I have ever seen. And to boot we should have Troy back against the Dolphins.

steelerchad
12-22-2009, 10:54 AM
okok.... i know its sooo easy to look far ahead into the playoffs now that "new light" has been shun and we have a chance again.... but seriously people.

we still have to win out for anything to even be possible.
in the last 6 games. we've only won one. and that was in the final second on a miracle tippy toe catch for the TD.

now we have a tough raven team also starving for a win. and dolphin team fighting for there lives the following week also (given they win this weekend).
add to all that, that our defense is not a playoff calibur defense! not even close!!!!

definetly not an easy task.
so before we jump the gun here.. lets just focus on the task at hand. BEATING THE RATBIRDS!:tt03:

Thanks for slowing me down. With Christmas and all, I guess I was feeling like a miracle could happen. :chuckle:

This team still has many problems and even if they get in won't get far unless they get fixed. Troy would help.

Crow-Magnon
12-22-2009, 11:19 AM
It is possible. Of course like you said it would be in Baltimore if it happened. There are a very few scenarios that could give Pit the #5 and Ravens #6 seed which could put the game in Pit. You would have to lose both and then have a bunch of other teams lose for this to happen.
I could live with that outcome , a one game winner take all in Baltimore for the right to go to the SuperBowl. Hell, I live in Richmond and would even make the trip for that one although I'd pay alot more than I would have in Pittsburgh. I'm getting ready to request my refund from my home playoff game payment soon. :banging:

Hey Crow- I actually bumped one of my old threads from October titled AFC North- 3 playoff teams. I'm thinking this is a real possibility, although it would require we beat you this week to happen. :noidea: It's kind of funny to read everyone's posts from 2 months ago. Most said the Ravens had very little chance to make it. Now it's the Steelers who are more likely to miss than the Ravens. Even my original post said the Ravens were competing with the Chargers for a Wildcard. Hell they're 11-3 and Denver has fallen to pieces.

How about you let us win this one and we'll beat Miami next week for you, so we both get in.:drink:

Ok, the old thread was a good read! :toofunny:

Isn't it funny how the Chargers are 11-3, and yet you hear so little about them?

steelpride12
12-22-2009, 12:41 PM
We win this week and all the other stuff is very possible. I really think we win this week and then beat Miami to get the 6 seed. When we do this will have been the wierdest damn season I have ever seen. And to boot we should have Troy back against the Dolphins.

I just can't wait and hope that the Steelers pull this off and all goes according to plan for one reason; to hear the people who wrote the Steelers off and trolled this site for the last 6 weeks when they sneak into the playoffs! :popcorn:

Gnutella
12-22-2009, 12:43 PM
It'd be strange if the Bengals lose one more game, and then the AFC North snags the bottom three playoff seeds.

But let's take care of our own business first.