PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Likely to sign Joey Galloway

BlastFurnace
12-22-2009, 09:40 AM
www.postgazette.com/steelers

Steelers likely to sign receiver Galloway
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have brought in veteran wide receiver Joey Galloway and will likely sign him to their 53-man roster today as a replacement for Limas Sweed.

Galloway, 38, was at the Steelers offices this morning because Sweed, a No. 3 draft choice in 2008, has been placed on the reserve/non-football illness list, meaning he cannot play the rest of the season.

This isn't the first time the Steelers considered signing Galloway, the No. 1 draft choice of the Seattle Seahawks in 1995.

They brought him in during the offseason when they were looking for a veteran receiver to add to their roster. Galloway played two games this season with the New England Patriots, catching seven passes for 67 yards, before he was released on Oct. 20.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09356/1022801-100.stm#ixzz0aQsawfI1

Steelers>NFL
12-22-2009, 09:42 AM
What happened to McDonald????

HometownGal
12-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Cool beans. :thumbsup: Don't really think he is going to see much action, but it's good to know that we'll have another reliable WR on the roster in case of injury.

NJarhead
12-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Why not Shaun McDonald? I don't think he's on anyone's roster at the moment and If I recollect, Galloway was released by the Pats for the same reason we benched Sweed.

UPDATE: Yep, he's still available. In all actuality, I wish David Tyree was available; He's not "Johnny Hands" but could be a decent 4th/5th WR and he is a special teams ace.

Oh well.

HometownGal
12-22-2009, 09:44 AM

He was released. I'm still scratching my head over that one. I don't believe he was really given a fair chance to prove himself.

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 09:44 AM

I am pretty sure we released him a month or so ago.

Nadroj 20
12-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I like Galloway hes a good vet and if hes called upon i think he can come threw for us.

steelreserve
12-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Eeewwwwwww. I hope he doesn't still have Patriot stink on him.

BlastFurnace
12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Another thing to consider why the Steelers brought in a veteran is how bad is Ward's hammy. The way they were talking on the radio is that Ward is playing in some serious pain.

SteelerFanInStl
12-22-2009, 10:26 AM
He was released. I'm still scratching my head over that one. I don't believe he was really given a fair chance to prove himself.

:iagree: McDonald is a good WR. I would've rather seen him back than Galloway.

Steelers Since '75
12-22-2009, 10:31 AM
This is an experience move... if they don't have Ward out there to read the subtleties of the opposing D then they will need another vet who has seen it all and will be able to find the soft spots in the D on short routes. I don't think you will be seeing Galloway going long very much... think more of a 6-8 yard quick route guy who posts in the soft underneath.

supa_fly_steeler
12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
i cant wait until galloway tears up the ravens defence with wallace... will be fun!

Steel_12
12-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Cool beans. :thumbsup: Don't really think he is going to see much action, but it's good to know that we'll have another reliable WR on the roster in case of injury.

HTG...what does cool beans mean? lol...seriously, where did that term come from? Plenty of people use it in the military and I just don't get it.

Anyway, I'm glad we picked up Galloway. I still think he can produce.

KeiselPower99
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Id rather bring back McDonald.

NJarhead
12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
i cant wait until galloway tears up the ravens defence with wallace... will be fun!

I doubt he'll even see the field Sunday.

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 11:02 AM
So is that it for Sweed? The team never gave a specific cause or extent of this....

fansince'76
12-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Id rather bring back McDonald.

Same here - Galloway's done, IMO.

Steel_12
12-22-2009, 11:06 AM
So is that it for Sweed? The team never gave a specific cause or extent of this....

It is...the article said it was because Sweed was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-22-2009, 11:15 AM
:iagree: McDonald is a good WR. I would've rather seen him back than Galloway.

Agreed.

Steelers17
12-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Another thing to consider why the Steelers brought in a veteran is how bad is Ward's hammy. The way they were talking on the radio is that Ward is playing in some serious pain.

Hopefully if true, Joey can hold up for the duration. Shaky pins here! :noidea:

tony hipchest
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Agreed.the 4th wr is just gonna rot on the bench anyways. at this point, i'd just as soon bring in a second kicker just to put the ball in the end zone.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Steelers Sign Joey Galloway and Jared Retkofsky to Roster

PITTSBURGH ─ The Steelers added two players to their roster today when they signed wide receiver Joey Galloway and long snapper Jared Retkofsky to contracts.

Galloway (5-11, 197), a 15-year veteran from Ohio State, caught seven passes for 67 yards (9.6 avg.) with the New England Patriots this season before being released on Oct. 20. He has caught 689 passes for 10,777 yards (15.6 avg.) and 77 touchdowns during his NFL career.

Galloway, 38, was originally selected eighth overall in the first round of the 1995 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks. He played with the Seahawks (1995-99), Dallas Cowboys (2000-03) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2004-08) before signing with New England as a free agent on March 19, 2009. Galloway will wear No. 84 with the Steelers.

Retkofsky (6-5, 260), a second-year long snapper from TCU, played with the New York Sentinels of the United Football League (UFL) in 2009. He signed with the Steelers on Oct. 25, 2008 after starting long snapper Greg Warren was lost for the season with a knee injury. Retkofsky played in nine regular-season games plus the postseason with the Steelers in 2008. He originally signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2007 but did not make the final roster. Retkofsky will wear No. 48 for the Steelers.

Galloway and Retkofsky filled the roster spots that became open when starting long snapper Warren and second-year wide receiver Limas Sweed were lost for the season.

KeiselPower99
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I watched Mike Tomlins Press Conference and Paul Alexander Stan Savran and Ed Bouchette all scratched their heads on why its Galloway over McDonald. especially with Hines and Wallace banged up this week.

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 04:27 PM
It is...the article said it was because Sweed was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list.

That is neither cause (what IS his illness) NOR extent (how serious is this?)...

Texasteel
12-22-2009, 04:30 PM
the 4th wr is just gonna rot on the bench anyways. at this point, i'd just as soon bring in a second kicker just to put the ball in the end zone.

Not if someone gets hurt and can't play.

tony hipchest
12-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Not if someone gets hurt and can't play.i would like to think we could just use moore, mendenhall, spaeth, miller, more in the passing game, but i guess they dont know the assignments (then again, does joey?).

anyways i wonder if holmes picked him up at the airport with a rolled blunt. you know how those OSU receivers love their wacky tobaccy/hippie lettuce. :smoker:

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
i would like to think we could just use moore, mendenhall, spaeth, miller, more in the passing game, but i guess they dont know the assignments (then again, does joey?).

anyways i wonder if holmes picked him up at the airport with a rolled blunt. you know how those OSU receivers love their wacky tobaccy/hippie lettuce. :smoker:

:stirthepot::buttkick:

Texasteel
12-22-2009, 07:32 PM
i would like to think we could just use moore, mendenhall, spaeth, miller, more in the passing game, but i guess they dont know the assignments (then again, does joey?).

They probaby could fill in temporarily, but even with just a glimmer of hope I think I would rather have someone like Galloway lining up.

tony hipchest
12-22-2009, 07:44 PM
good point. this signing definitely seems to be a 4-5 game window of opportunity signing as opposed to a 1 game "quick fix".

it does make me wonder about mcdonald, however the steelers coveted galloway before signing shaun.

it also makes me wonder about sweed. either there is a fairly serious medical condition, or he simply went off and told the steelers to get bent.

Texasteel
12-22-2009, 09:06 PM
good point. this signing definitely seems to be a 4-5 game window of opportunity signing as opposed to a 1 game "quick fix".

it does make me wonder about mcdonald, however the steelers coveted galloway before signing shaun.

it also makes me wonder about sweed. either there is a fairly serious medical condition, or he simply went off and told the steelers to get bent.

The only thing I can figure on McDonald is that they may have wanted Galloway but he wanted to much money. So they went with McDonald. Now that the season is almost over Galloways price may have come down.

As for a Sweed is concerned, we may not know the answer to that till next year.

Steel_12
12-23-2009, 09:01 AM
That is neither cause (what IS his illness) NOR extent (how serious is this?)...

You asked was that it for Sweed...did you not? You didn't ask what was his illness or how serious it was...you made a statement.

Venom
12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Steelers sign Joey Galloway,,,,,, one word,,,,,,CHAMPIONSHIP ! lol

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 12:17 PM
You asked was that it for Sweed...did you not? You didn't ask what was his illness or how serious it was...you made a statement.

You can't understand most of what is said on this board anyway...leave the heavy lifting to those who can, okay, Junior?

Typically speaking, a team will release some details like "Limas Sweed has the Swine Flu and is out for the upcoming game. We'll update his progress" or something like that.

There was nothing like this, just that he's out for the season. It's certainly no great leap to suspect that a 2nd round pick who has like 7 catches for his career and can't even get on the field even when the guys on the depth chart ahead of him are injured MIGHT be done in Pittsburgh.

markymarc
12-24-2009, 09:42 AM
It's certainly no great leap to suspect that a 2nd round pick who has like 7 catches for his career and can't even get on the field even when the guys on the depth chart ahead of him are injured MIGHT be done in Pittsburgh.

If that truly is the case then why wasn't this move done earlier in the season?