PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Joey Galloway and Jared Retkofsky to Roster

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Steelers Sign Joey Galloway and Jared Retkofsky to Roster

PITTSBURGH ─ The Steelers added two players to their roster today when they signed wide receiver Joey Galloway and long snapper Jared Retkofsky to contracts.

Galloway (5-11, 197), a 15-year veteran from Ohio State, caught seven passes for 67 yards (9.6 avg.) with the New England Patriots this season before being released on Oct. 20. He has caught 689 passes for 10,777 yards (15.6 avg.) and 77 touchdowns during his NFL career.

Galloway, 38, was originally selected eighth overall in the first round of the 1995 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks. He played with the Seahawks (1995-99), Dallas Cowboys (2000-03) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2004-08) before signing with New England as a free agent on March 19, 2009. Galloway will wear No. 84 with the Steelers.

Retkofsky (6-5, 260), a second-year long snapper from TCU, played with the New York Sentinels of the United Football League (UFL) in 2009. He signed with the Steelers on Oct. 25, 2008 after starting long snapper Greg Warren was lost for the season with a knee injury. Retkofsky played in nine regular-season games plus the postseason with the Steelers in 2008. He originally signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2007 but did not make the final roster. Retkofsky will wear No. 48 for the Steelers.

Galloway and Retkofsky filled the roster spots that became open when starting long snapper Warren and second-year wide receiver Limas Sweed were lost for the season.

solardave
12-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I missed something here. What happened to Sweed? Bruised ego? What?

Kvnfaber
12-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Bruised hands.

CPanther95
12-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Why Jared Retkofsky, is something wrong with Harrison?

Glace
12-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Why Jared Retkofsky, is something wrong with Harrison?

He's too strong and angry to be a long snapper

LVSteelersfan
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Wow, What happened to Shaun McDonald? I thought he looked good back in preseason. Instead they pick someone up off the scrap heap.

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Galloway couldn't make the Patriots roster so I guess he's just Practice Fodder at this point. Not sure if he'll actually take the field against the Ravens this weekend. I was hoping in the offseason for Tory Holt as a number 3, but I'll take Wallace at 3, Ward at 2, Holmes at 1 and now Gallaway at 4.

Sweed will need to earn his roster spot in the offseason, otherwise, he's another Texas bust.

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Galloway couldn't make the Patriots roster so I guess he's just Practice Fodder at this point. Not sure if he'll actually take the field against the Ravens this weekend. I was hoping in the offseason for Tory Holt as a number 3, but I'll take Wallace at 3, Ward at 2, Holmes at 1 and now Gallaway at 4.

Sweed will need to earn his roster spot in the offseason, otherwise, he's another Texas bust.

I agree, he needs one more year like most WR prospects out of college. If he shows no improvement next season, then I will be right along with everyone else proclaiming him a bust. Until then though, I will remain hopeful that he can turn it around. The kid has tons of upside and could potentially make our WR corps uncoverable(is that even a word?).

OX1947
12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Can someone explain to me the odds of a long snapper tearing his knee in back to back season? Seriously? A Long snapper tearing both his knees in back to back seasons? What next, the kicker and punter both are lost with Achilles tears in the same game?

Dino 6 Rings
12-22-2009, 01:54 PM
What next, the kicker and punter both are lost with Achilles tears in the same game?

Hey! Bite your tongue! Mitch Berger is already signed with a team so if our punter goes down we are in serious trouble :chuckle:

steelpride12
12-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Well that makes sense I suppose. I mean with Sweed out we needed a good pick up and other than age Galloway is an excellent replacement for the rest of the season.
Im surprised this team really never gave Mcdonald a chance to go out in a game and prove himself. he was excellent for the lions last season and thats saying something when you stick out for that team.

Other than that no surprises just filling in for the injuries.

7willBheaven
12-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Can someone explain to me the odds of a long snapper tearing his knee in back to back season? Seriously? A Long snapper tearing both his knees in back to back seasons? What next, the kicker and punter both are lost with Achilles tears in the same game?

It may seem odd to some but he does more than snap. On punts he is one of the first sprinting down the field, as you cannot put a man over the longsnapper, so he gets a free release. He's running down the field just like the gunners do, thats probably where the injury took place. Be it while he was running or maybe if he got hit/etc.

As far as Galloway is concerned, i doubt he see the field a ton. I figured McDonald would be back too, since he actually got to play in a couple games this year, plus preseason. Maybe HE didnt want to come back or something, who knows, I for one liked the guy.

MJ5150
12-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Wow, Galloway? Seriously? We're only about eight years too late on this signing.

-Mike

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 01:59 PM
It may seem odd to some but he does more than snap. On punts he is one of the first sprinting down the field, as you cannot put a man over the longsnapper, so he gets a free release. He's running down the field just like the gunners do, thats probably where the injury took place. Be it while he was running or maybe if he got hit/etc.

As far as Galloway is concerned, i doubt he see the field a ton. I figured McDonald would be back too, since he actually got to play in a couple games this year, plus preseason. Maybe HE didnt want to come back or something, who knows, I for one liked the guy.

It happened on the XP at the end of the game. :noidea:

steelerfan29_99
12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
did I miss something? we go out and sign a WR?? How about sign a veteran CB or Safety for the Defense...something to help the weak part of this seasons team....

WH
12-22-2009, 02:11 PM
did I miss something? we go out and sign a WR?? How about sign a veteran CB or Safety for the Defense...something to help the weak part of this seasons team....
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA!!!

Until Ward, Smokey, or The Anchor get hurt and we only have 2 wide receivers....

Steel_12
12-22-2009, 02:29 PM
He's too strong and angry to be a long snapper

lol

steelerfan29_99
12-22-2009, 02:31 PM
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA!!!

Until Ward, Smokey, or The Anchor get hurt and we only have 2 wide receivers....

I understand what your saying and I see your point..but as it stands right now WR is not a position that needs help.our DB's need the help and right now thats where this team should be looking to improve on...but we'll have ot wait and see..I like Galloway and think he's a great addition just that I don't think he's the answer at this point in the season...

KeiselPower99
12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey! Bite your tongue! Mitch Berger is already signed with a team so if our punter goes down we are in serious trouble :chuckle:

But Paul Ernster is available.

WH
12-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I understand what your saying and I see your point..but as it stands right now WR is not a position that needs help.our DB's need the help and right now thats where this team should be looking to improve on...but we'll have ot wait and see..I like Galloway and think he's a great addition just that I don't think he's the answer at this point in the season...

I wonder what Anthony Smith is up to these days....oh wait, he's in Jacksonville. 2 interceptions in 6 games.....

ljk2442
12-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I would honestly take Wallace as #1, you dont see him dropping every other pass like Holmes... I just hope Wallace is the real deal and flourishes! I hope we get him locked in for years...

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I wonder what Anthony Smith is up to these days....oh wait, he's in Jacksonville. 2 interceptions in 6 games.....

But he still gets abused regularly in the passing game.

ricardisimo
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Just how bad is Dallas Baker that he gets passed over by an octogenarian?
Just how low has Hines' status in the locker room dropped as the "veteran presence" that this signing was felt necessary?

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Just how bad is Dallas Baker that he gets passed over by an octogenarian?
Just how low has Hines' status in the locker room dropped as the "veteran presence" that this signing was felt necessary?

Not sure I really understand this question. Galloway was signed because Sweed has been put on the non-football/illness list and we needed depth for that spot. This has nothing to do with Hines' status in the locker room.

ricardisimo
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Not sure I really understand this question. Galloway was signed because Sweed has been put on the non-football/illness list and we needed depth for that spot. This has nothing to do with Hines' status in the locker room.

Dallas Baker had, by most accounts, a great camp and a decent preseason, and he knows the staff, some of the playbook, etc. He's young, the Steelers saw enough in him to draft him, and I'm sure he's willing to play on Special Teams. None of those things apply to Joey Galloway, who's main attribute at this point in his career - his veteran savvy - couldn't keep him on a roster this year.

Obviously, he was signed to replace Sweed... unless he's a long-snapper. That wasn't really the question.

WH
12-22-2009, 03:52 PM
But he still gets abused regularly in the passing game.

So does Carter, but he doesn't have any interceptions in 14 games.....:banging:

Rick5895
12-22-2009, 04:04 PM

Have you ever long snapped.? I did in highschool, and I can tell you people fall into your legs at all kinds of goofy angles. Isn't too hard to tear a ligament

NEPAsteeler
12-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Why Galloway? What happened to Shaun Mcdonald? :noidea:

rich4eagle
12-22-2009, 05:00 PM
I like the Galloway move ......a guy who can play albeit aged..................he may just be able to put up a few more clutch catches..........and right now Sweed in not dependable

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Dallas Baker had, by most accounts, a great camp and a decent preseason, and he knows the staff, some of the playbook, etc. He's young, the Steelers saw enough in him to draft him, and I'm sure he's willing to play on Special Teams. None of those things apply to Joey Galloway, who's main attribute at this point in his career - his veteran savvy - couldn't keep him on a roster this year.

Obviously, he was signed to replace Sweed... unless he's a long-snapper. That wasn't really the question.

To answer your question then. No, Hines' status hasn't changed one iota.

ricardisimo
12-22-2009, 05:17 PM
To answer your question then. No, Hines' status hasn't changed one iota.

And you know this... how?

Texasteel
12-22-2009, 05:24 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought Carter had an int. just 3 or so weeks ago.

SteelerEmpire
12-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Tomlin better leave Joey in there... Sweed is never going to come around....

Psyychoward86
12-22-2009, 05:43 PM

he has two picks. Phail much?

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 06:13 PM

And you know otherwise how? We can continue this cyclical argument for days and still not get anywhere. Until I see or read something that indicates Ward is losing respect from the majority of the locker room, I'll continue to believe that he is in good standing.

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 06:13 PM

Never is a long time.

Preacher
12-22-2009, 06:16 PM

http://orlandonest.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/crystal-ball.jpg

Oh please, tell me how you do it.

MasterOfPuppets
12-22-2009, 06:17 PM
i can't find anywhere that mcdonald has signed elsewhere...so what the hell happend to him ?

Preacher
12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
i can't find anywhere that mcdonald has signed elsewhere...so what the hell happend to him ?

Don't know, but Galloway was our choice before McDonald, so its no surprise he was called in first.

Don't doubt he and Ward are having quite a few lunches and dinners together this week.

steelwalls
12-22-2009, 06:21 PM
I wondered about McDonald too. I can say I am not unsatisfied with signing Galloway though.

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
I wondered about McDonald too. I can say I am not unsatisfied with signing Galloway though.

Didn't you hear? He is our new locker room leader. Who cares that Hines has been here since 98.:chuckle:

Seriously though, he is/was a good WR so his experience and depth will be much appreciated I am sure.

steelwalls
12-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Didn't you hear? He is our new locker room leader. Who cares that Hines has been here since 98.:chuckle:

Seriously though, he is/was a good WR so his experience and depth will be much appreciated I am sure.

Yeah, that is insane :doh:

I do agree Galloway's experience is a big time plus, especially comming in late in the season like this. I allways liked him as a reciever personally, but I do admit I have not kept up with his play in several years now.

casteeler
12-22-2009, 07:00 PM
this year galloway next year brett favre? so at this point just draw a name out of a hat and sign them. we don't need defensive backs or anything

tony hipchest
12-22-2009, 07:06 PM

To answer your question then. No, Hines' status hasn't changed one iota.may have been posted already but hines re-aggrivated his hamstring injury.

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 08:16 PM
may have been posted already but hines re-aggrivated his hamstring injury.

I took status in the locker room as a social status or leadership status. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Psyychoward86
12-22-2009, 09:00 PM

u r not seriously considering this...

Super Fan
12-22-2009, 09:45 PM
I think Galloway can help us........He probably has lost a step because he was 4.2 in the 40 in Seattle...The guy has great hands. I hope he gets on the field....I can tell you he is better then Sweed.....

Psyychoward86
12-22-2009, 09:48 PM
I think Galloway can help us........He probably has lost a step because he was 4.2 in the 40 in Seattle...The guy has great hands. I hope he gets on the field....I can tell you he is better then Sweed.....

ive heard that his hands were the reason he got cut from the Pats

steelwalls
12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I took status in the locker room as a social status or leadership status. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

No I took it the same way, just skipped over it, perhaps the the poster's location has something to do with it. :noidea:

ricardisimo
12-22-2009, 11:32 PM
u r not seriously considering this...

Not seriously considering what? All I know... and the only reason I'm asking these questions... is that this has been a very weird year, to say the least, and I have not been able to make sense out of much of what the front office has done - or not done, depending.

I can't make sense out of this signing, that's all. I look at the Steelers receiving corps and see immense talent, as well as great experience from both Hines and 'Tone. So, why not use that spot to move up one of their own who can also contribute on special teams. It certainly doesn't have to be Baker, but why not?

Truth is, Bouchette may have answered the question in his chat when he pointed out that Tomlin's familiar with Joey from TB. That could be the long and the short of it. It's still weird, but at least it's something for my brain to mull over.

steelwalls
12-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Not seriously considering what? All I know... and the only reason I'm asking these questions... is that this has been a very weird year, to say the least, and I have not been able to make sense out of much of what the front office has done - or not done, depending.

I can't make sense out of this signing, that's all. I look at the Steelers receiving corps and see immense talent, as well as great experience from both Hines and 'Tone. So, why not use that spot to move up one of their own who can also contribute on special teams. It certainly doesn't have to be Baker, but why not?

Truth is, Bouchette may have answered the question in his chat when he pointed out that Tomlin's familiar with Joey from TB. That could be the long and the short of it. It's still weird, but at least it's something for my brain to mull over.

Dude he was signed for depth because Sweed is out for the season, not a suprise since we showed interest in him in the off season, and he's a proven vet. You are reading way too much into this.

devilsdancefloor
12-23-2009, 01:19 AM

well i dont know about you but i watched a denver game and carter had 2 INT huh.... must have been my imagination

DJMJ
12-23-2009, 01:41 AM
Galloway is 38 but I still think this is a good signing. He had 1,000+ yard seasons in 2005, 2006, and 2007 and only lost his job to Antonio Bryant in 2008 because of a foot injury. He was at one time the fastest WR in the NFL (4.18 at his official Ohio State Pro Day on February 26, 1994) and has a reputation of always keeping himself in good shape. I also read somewhere that he was still running a 4.3 in the 40-yard dash at 36 years of age. Known for great separation while stretching the field and always had excellent hands...

I'd give the old guy a shot. He should be fresh after sitting out this season and a welcome addition with his experience if the Steelers make it to the post season...

ricardisimo
12-23-2009, 02:30 AM
Dude he was signed for depth because Sweed is out for the season, not a suprise since we showed interest in him in the off season, and he's a proven vet. You are reading way too much into this.

You're probably right. At least, I hope you are, and I certainly hope he's a good pick-up. It would be a nice little bonus for him if we can get on track right now and get some help from a few teams, since I don't believe he has ever even smelled the Big Show.

MasterOfPuppets
12-23-2009, 02:48 AM
i'm thinkin if galloway had anything left in the tank, he'd still be a patriot... i doubt if he ever sees the field.

Preacher
12-23-2009, 03:33 AM
i'm thinkin if galloway had anything left in the tank, he'd still be a patriot... i doubt if he ever sees the field.

You know as well as I do... all it may have been was Brady giving Joey a "strange look" and Belicheat would have traded Joey out of jealousy.

Galax Steeler
12-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Just think we were looking at Galloway in the off season. We have probably signed him cheaper now then we would have in the off season. Saved a few bucks.:chuckle:

43Hitman
12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Just think we were looking at Galloway in the off season. We have probably signed him cheaper now then we would have in the off season. Saved a few bucks.:chuckle:

Bonus: We may also get some good info on the Pats should we make the playoffs and face them.

markymarc
12-23-2009, 12:59 PM
The only way I see Joey Galloway playing on Sunday is if Hines Ward can't go. I still can't believe that Shaun McDonald was not brought back. There have been 2 opportunities to bring him back now and he is still unemployed.

Let's see if Joey Galloway has anything left to offer the Steelers.

WH
12-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know the REAL reason Sweed is out?

besides the joke reasons....

43Hitman
12-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Does anyone know the REAL reason Sweed is out?

besides the joke reasons....

Undisclosed illness, everything else is speculation.

AllD
12-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Speculation is that he is going to Europe for hand transplants.

HughC
12-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Bonus: We may also get some good info on the Pats should we make the playoffs and face them.
Actually I don't think it's a bonus; I think it may be the primary reason for signing Galloway. Right now it looks like there's a good chance the Steelers will be playing the Pats in the first round of the playoffs. Normally a #4 receiver is expected to be playing on special teams, and I don't think the 38-year old Galloway is going to be out there on punt or kickoff coverage.

If it wasn't for the sudden chance of the Steelers playing the Pats, it seems to me that Shaun McDonald would have been the choice.

WH
12-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Undisclosed illness, everything else is speculation.

Did he shit in Tomlin's cereal or something? Because Tyrone Carter still starts every week.

43Hitman
12-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Did he shit in Tomlin's cereal or something? Because Tyrone Carter still starts every week.

I wish I knew bro. If it is depression I can understand the secrecy.

WH
12-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I wish I knew bro. If it is depression I can understand the secrecy.

I could completely understand if that were the reason.

steelwalls
12-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Good point. Should we have to face them it would be about time we had that opportunity against another team instead of vice versa.

markymarc
12-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Because Tyrone Carter still starts every week.

This is the logic I don't understand. No one can tell me that Deshea Townsend or Ryan Mundy could not be any worse than what TC is displaying every single week.

WH
12-24-2009, 01:42 PM
This is the logic I don't understand. No one can tell me that Deshea Townsend or Ryan Mundy could not be any worse than what TC is displaying every single week.

Deshea Townsend or Ryan Mundy, or some scrub FA off the waivers heap could not be any worse than what TC is displaying every single week. There, I said it.

43Hitman
12-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Deshea Townsend or Ryan Mundy, or some scrub FA off the waivers heap could not be any worse than what TC is displaying every single week. There, I said it.

Yeah man I watched the replay the other night on NFLN and his play was pathetic. When Ryan Grant had that long run for the TD, he just stood there and didn't press the line at all. Simply terrible.

IamTheSteelGod
12-25-2009, 07:31 AM

I didn't know that Green Bay had released him. Why did they do that?

43Hitman
12-25-2009, 09:29 AM
I didn't know that Green Bay had released him. Why did they do that?

Because he is horrible and can't stay within his assignment.