PDA

View Full Version : Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda been 12-2 instead of 7-7

steelcity1974
12-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I actually think the only 2 games we legitimately lost were the Bengals game (at home) and the Browns game. In all other losses, the Steelers beat the Steelers.

Loss to Chicago. We SHOULD have won. Up 7 to start 4th quarter. Offense has 2 long drives in 4th quarter but no TDs and Reed misses FGs of 38 and 42 yards. Makes them and we win by 3.

Loss to Bengals (away). We SHOULD have won. Up 13-0 and failed 4th down gave Bengals opportunity for 3 points before half. Pick 6 to start 2nd half. Bengals fake punt leads to TD. Major debacle.

Loss to Bengals (home) We COULD have won. The kickoff return for TD was the differnece. Not a debacle, but one we could have easily won.

Loss to KC. We SHOULD have won. KC kickoff return for TD. Still, we had 17-7 lead on a terrible team. Heath's dropped pass turns into a pick. Ben's 1st and goal INT returned to the PIT 8??? WTF? Major debacle.

Loss to Ravens. We SHOULD have won. 3rd and 22 and then 4th and 5 and then a million missed tackles to give Ravens game tying FG. This with no Troy and no Ben.

Loss to Raiders. We SHOULD have won. Another 1st down Red Zone INT for Ben. O should have put them away early. D was a mess in 4th quarter. Debacle.

Loss to Browns. We COULD have won. We played terrible but still had a chance. 1st down from CLE 43 only down 7 with 2+ minutes left.

Frustrating season. It just shows the margin of error in the NFL is slim. This team that we are all thrashing could VERY EASILY be 12-2 right now...but instead we are 7-7. If just a couple of those games go our way, we would be 9-5 or 10-4. Of course this doesn't factor in the games we won that could have gone the other way...but still. C'mon man!

Crow-Magnon
12-22-2009, 05:16 PM
That's probably true, but by the same token, look at 2008 and see how may games the Steelers could have lost at the last minute.

Sometimes you roll 7 or 11, sometimes you get snake-eyes.

Preacher
12-22-2009, 05:17 PM
That's probably true, but by the same token, look at 2008 and see how may games the Steelers could have lost at the last minute.

Sometimes you roll 7 or 11, sometimes you get snake-eyes.

I think his point may be more towards the ugliness on this board toward the team.

MasterOfPuppets
12-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I think his point may be more towards the ugliness on this board toward the team. and cats ...:chuckle:

steel9guy
12-22-2009, 05:20 PM
we coulda lost to the titans because of the missed field goal.

Preacher
12-22-2009, 05:23 PM
and cats ...:chuckle:

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/Rump_slapping_hippo_character-emoticon-0043.gif

:buttkick:

:chuckle:

43Hitman
12-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Just like in golf, they don't ask how, they just ask how many.

Fire Haley
12-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Quit cryin' and be thankful we're still alive.

Rick5895
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Woulda, shoulda, coulda........and if Grandma had balls she'd be grandpa.

Crow-Magnon
12-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I think his point may be more towards the ugliness on this board toward the team.

Well, you may have a point there. I will say that I have been posting here for well over a year now, and 99% of the "we suck and we're NOT gonna make the playoffs!" posts are not being made by the posters who are on this site day-after-day, week-after-week, etc.

A long winning or losing streak always brings some certain posters out of the shadows, doesn't it? :chuckle:

cubanstogie
12-22-2009, 06:23 PM
The frustrating part to me is the losses to KC and Raiders. We let less than average QB's light us up, which worries me for next year. People can make Arians the scapegoat, but him leaving isn't going to fix our secondary next year. I would like to think that with Troy healthy next year our secondary won't be an issue. But counting on Troy healthy is turning a blind eye. I hope there are some good CB's in the draft next year.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Just look at it this way. Despite all these miscues, this team is still in the hunt. If they can make it into the playoffs, they could be very dangerous.

cubanstogie
12-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Just look at it this way. Despite all these miscues, this team is still in the hunt. If they can make it into the playoffs, they could be very dangerous.

very true, talk about a second wind or rejuvenation.

AllD
12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
We should have won Super Bowl XXX too, but that's why you play the game.

The Dolphins has first bid on Drew Brees, but the Saints offered him more $.

You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley.

KeiselPower99
12-22-2009, 09:45 PM
I actually think the only 2 games we legitimately lost were the Bengals game (at home) and the Browns game. In all other losses, the Steelers beat the Steelers.

Loss to Chicago. We SHOULD have won. Up 7 to start 4th quarter. Offense has 2 long drives in 4th quarter but no TDs and Reed misses FGs of 38 and 42 yards. Makes them and we win by 3.

Loss to Bengals (away). We SHOULD have won. Up 13-0 and failed 4th down gave Bengals opportunity for 3 points before half. Pick 6 to start 2nd half. Bengals fake punt leads to TD. Major debacle.

Loss to Bengals (home) We COULD have won. The kickoff return for TD was the differnece. Not a debacle, but one we could have easily won.

Loss to KC. We SHOULD have won. KC kickoff return for TD. Still, we had 17-7 lead on a terrible team. Heath's dropped pass turns into a pick. Ben's 1st and goal INT returned to the PIT 8??? WTF? Major debacle.

Loss to Ravens. We SHOULD have won. 3rd and 22 and then 4th and 5 and then a million missed tackles to give Ravens game tying FG. This with no Troy and no Ben.

Loss to Raiders. We SHOULD have won. Another 1st down Red Zone INT for Ben. O should have put them away early. D was a mess in 4th quarter. Debacle.

Loss to Browns. We COULD have won. We played terrible but still had a chance. 1st down from CLE 43 only down 7 with 2+ minutes left.

Frustrating season. It just shows the margin of error in the NFL is slim. This team that we are all thrashing could VERY EASILY be 12-2 right now...but instead we are 7-7. If just a couple of those games go our way, we would be 9-5 or 10-4. Of course this doesn't factor in the games we won that could have gone the other way...but still. C'mon man!

Read my signature!

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
That soundbyte from Rod Woodson at the beginning of the season keeps playing in my head...

"To repeat as champions, you can't win the same way you won the first time. The Steelers won on great defense last year. They can't win it like that again this year."

Steelblitz6
12-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I've seen the Steelers go through some tough times, but I've never seen them quit.....until now. Yes, the GB game was good, but the games prior, especially Cleveland, they just quit. I can take a loss, but giving up is not what Steelers football is all about. This off-season better be about wholesale firings, and you can start with Tyrone Carter. REALLY, is that guy getting paid to throw games. That's just painful to watch!!!!

KeiselPower99
12-22-2009, 10:59 PM
There is too much waiting around to either not screw up or wanting someone else to make a play when it comes to the secondary.

cubanstogie
12-22-2009, 11:32 PM
I've seen the Steelers go through some tough times, but I've never seen them quit.....until now. Yes, the GB game was good, but the games prior, especially Cleveland, they just quit. I can take a loss, but giving up is not what Steelers football is all about. This off-season better be about wholesale firings, and you can start with Tyrone Carter. REALLY, is that guy getting paid to throw games. That's just painful to watch!!!!

I just saw the game on NFL replay and was yelling at Carter and Gay the hole game. Neither guy can tackle worth $hit, and couldn't cover much better. I guess I have taken the D for granted for so long I really never saw those flaws. We need some serious secondary help next year. On the bright side, Ben and the receivers including Heath were phenomenal, Jeff Reed stepped up as well 3-3 in Heinz field with a cold football is impressive. Its hard to believe how bad our secondary has become without Troy.

ETL
12-22-2009, 11:41 PM
With losses like these, I don't blame Tomlin one bit for taking the chances that he did such as the onside kick.

plenewken
12-23-2009, 07:02 AM

Since we're in shoulda mode, how 'bout games we shoulda lost like Tennessee?

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 07:28 AM

We SHOULD be at least at 11-3 right now, but the D :poop:ing the bed in the late stages of the 4Q led us to where we are right now.

We SHOULD not still be alive for a playoff run but we ARE. :drink: :hope: :tt02:

stillers4me
12-23-2009, 08:15 AM
That soundbyte from Rod Woodson at the beginning of the season keeps playing in my head...

"To repeat as champions, you can't win the same way you won the first time. The Steelers won on great defense last year. They can't win it like that again this year."

Well, he's was right. We aren't. :sofunny:

markymarc
12-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I am still amazed that after suffering a 5 game losing streak and here we are still being talked about possibly making the playoffs. Just take care of business and let the chips fall where they may!

AllD
12-23-2009, 03:44 PM

Don't worry, they won't.

HughC
12-23-2009, 03:47 PM
The thing is, there's about 25 other teams that could all play the "woulda', coulda', shoulda'" game at this point in the season also.

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
The thing is, there's about 25 other teams that could all play the "woulda', coulda', shoulda'" game at this point in the season also.

Though you are absolutely correct, those 25 teams don't have even close to the number of very talented players that we do, especially defensively. I'd bet dollars to donuts that on the BB's of those 25 teams last season, you wouldn't see half of the B & M'ing about their respective teams as there was on this board after the Steelers won their 6th Lombardi. :shake02:

zulater
12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Since we're in shoulda mode, how 'bout games we shoulda lost like Tennessee?

Or the Vikings, or the Packers.

That said i think part of the problem is that this team has been a bit snake bit this year. Who can forget Janakowski's blown in field goal, Heath Miller having one doink off his shoulder into a game changing interception, blocking a field goal into a season changing injury, setting an NFL record in special teams futility, inexplicable lack of forced turnovers? :doh: Maybe it just wasn't meant to be this year? :noidea: