PDA

View Full Version : Transcript of Ed Bouchette's live chat

mesaSteeler
12-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Transcript of Ed Bouchette's live chat
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022853-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Ed Bouchette: You may enter questions now. Questions won't be visible unless they're answered during the live chat, which begins at 1:30 p.m.

KS Steeler: Any word on the time of the game changing this week to account for the importance of the game?

Ed Bouchette: No time change. They had to make those changes last week and they did not change the time. Still 1 p.m. kickoff.

Y-Twon Steeler: What are the chances of Troy playing Sunday, and what are their chance to beat the Ravens without him?

Ed Bouchette: He had an MRI today and Mike Tomlin did not have the result at his press conference. He said he eagerly awaited it, and if it's positive, there's a chance Polamalu could play. They nearly beat the Ravens in Baltimore without their QB and without Polamalu, so I would say they can beat them in Heinz. And, they are favored to do so.

Steel Curtain Rising: Hey Ed, on the Steelers Report you seemed to indicate that the Steelers might have a shot at knocking off the Packers. But then on PG Plus prior to Sunday's game, you backed off and indicated that you expected Pittsburgh to fold quickly. Why the change of heart then, and what do you think now?

Ed Bouchette: I do not remember saying that on Steelers Report, but I do know I thought they were going to get drilled by the Packers. I should have said their defense would get drilled.

Patrick: Ed, what was the reaction in the press box when the Steelers onsides-ed the kickoff?

Ed Bouchette: Disbelief. I still think it was the wrong call. I have never seen such a call in all my years of covering football -- pro, college or high school.

Chooch79: Any news on why Sweed was placed on the non-injured list?

Ed Bouchette: Not really. My strong suspicions were that it is not a flu-like illness or any kind of disease. Mike Tomlin referred to it today as Sweed's "personal issues" and said he had the team's support. They still are calling it an "illness" though so you can speculate as much as I can. (I diagnose HUA syndrome as in Head up A*s - mesa)

Jeff in Williamsport: Hey Ed, Billy Hillgrove said that Sunday's game was the best he's ever seen at Heinz Field. Do you concur?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, if you like all offense and no defense. Two others that quickly come to my mind was the Steelers' comeback playoff victory against Cleveland and the tie with Atlanta.

Silverback: After a game like this, are the defensive guys happy to be on the winning side, or do you think it feels like a loss to them?

Ed Bouchette: I think they feel like the guy who tripped over his own two feet in the middle of the street and tumbled head over heels. He got up embarrassed but happy he was not injured.

polamalu43: Ed, Do you think the Steelers will WIN their final two games???

Ed Bouchette: Of all the scenarios they need to happen, that seems the most difficult to me.

Hombre De Acero: Ed, when the Steelers need to make a roster move a while back, they cut Shaun McDonald. Then, instead of bringing him back, they promoted someone from the practice squad. Now that Sweed is out for the year, they bring in Joey Galloway. I have no great affection for McDonald, but I am just curious to see what he did to get himself off the roster for good. Can you shed any light?

Ed Bouchette: I think Mike Tomlin wanted Joey Galloway, who played on his team in Tampa. I would have brought McDonald back. But maybe it just does not matter if you have to get to your fourth wide receiver.

Chooch79: Unless Heinz field gets hit by a tornado this Sunday, should we expect to see the Benny-gun offensive again this week?

Ed Bouchette: I think you should prepare to see it for the next decade.

Kirkland_99: Will Joey Galloway get any playing time this Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: They are in trouble if they need him to.

GasMan: Ed -- I have a rare day off work so I have been looking forward to participating in today's chat. I always enjoy the transcripts, but it is more fun to be in the game. Speaking of being in the game, or even on the sideline, are Keenan Lewis and Kraig Urbik complete busts as 3rd round draft picks? It is clear that the Steelers are desperate for help at corner, but Lewis is unfit to dress, and Urbik can't beat an undrafted rookie for time on the line.

Ed Bouchette: You have to hope they are merely getting a scholarship year and can blossom. Like Tony HIlls, who is a redshirt freshman and still not dressing.

The Musch Las Vegas: I understand the Steelers are scoring points. However, do you think they would be better off utilizing a scheme similar to John Elway in Denver, whereby they could take advantage of Ben being able to roll out more..?

Ed Bouchette: You mean, if he rolled out he might throw for more than 503 yards and score more than 37 points? I get your point, but even Elway cut down on the running as he got older.

armirage: Just curious -- What was your initial reaction to the infamous onside kick on Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: Dumbfounded. That was my initial reaction, and it remains as such.

Wild card wishes: Big Ben and the Steelers remind me of Elway and the Broncos of the 80s...lots of last minute drives...only the defense was better... . Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: Except the Steelers have won two Super Bowls in the past four years. The Broncos of the 80s won zip.

John: Ed, Isn't the real issue on why people did not like the onside kick decision because it was a slap in the face to our defense and the pride that we take in it? I could hear Lambert and Green screaming from here!

Ed Bouchette: I think they did not like it because they thought it was a foolish thing to do.

BenISJohnGalt: Ed, what specifically makes you believe that winning the final two games will be difficult?

Ed Bouchette: Because I've seen this team play their last six games.

ImissBettis: I hope Mend gets his 1000 yards. Also is W. Gay as bad as he looks on TV, and can Burnett be any worse, or how about the old dog Townsend(sp)?

Ed Bouchette: TV always adds about 10 pounds so he looks slimmer in real life.

Kirkland_99: Ed, have you accepted that this team is now a passing team rather than a running team now? I know all of the Steeler Nation has a hard time accepting this, but the passing game truly won the game against the Packers.

Ed Bouchette: I believe I have pointed that out all year long and part of last.

T-Money: Someone asked about the reaction in the press box after the onside kick earlier in this chat. What was the reaction after the game-winning TD pass/catch?

Ed Bouchette: That Ben Roethlisberger just pulled Mike Tomlin out of harm's way.

Guest: Conventional wisdom notwithstanding, if they kick off instead of onside kick, if a review of this year's games tell us anything, Steelers are 6-8 and out of the playoffs.

Ed Bouchette: Then they should onside kick all the time, using that logic. I just wrote a piece on this for PG Plus. But Mike Tomlin said he never thought if they missed the onside kick that Green Bay would score a TD. He thought his defense would hold them to a field goal.It makes his decision even weirder.

NJ_Steeler: Primary draft needs: secondary or linebackers?

Ed Bouchette: Secondary, by far.

Roger in GA: Ed, why not let Deshea start? He has been better than Gay

Ed Bouchette: I like your thinking. Maybe the coaches will pick up on it.

Matthew: A lot of speculation about making the playoffs. If they do...can you envision any scenario where this team and this defense could win three games on the road against NE, IND or SD to reach the SB?

Ed Bouchette: No, but you might as well watch them try rather than someone else.

letdesheaplaynotgay: I think we all know that Sweed isn't sick. After all, he can't catch a cold!

Ed Bouchette: Do not kick a man when he's down.

WoodyM112: Any chances that Not so Fast anymore Willie Parker stays next season?

Ed Bouchette: I could see it, yes.

HoosierSteelerFan: Ed, any word on whether Tomlin stepped in and told Arians to run the ball more? It was good to see the ground game grinding out yards as well as the pass game.

Ed Bouchette: If he did, it appears Bruce violated those orders vs. Green Bay. Hey, this league is not set up anymore for you to have a run-dominant team and win. You have to pass. The rules say so, and even the officials say so.

NJ_Steeler: Does Limas Sweed return next year? What's his contract situation?

Ed Bouchette: He's under contract. I think they want him back but he's working right now on what MIke Tomlin called his "personal issues"

Mike Holmgren: Ed should Steeler Nation be scared? I just became the Head Man in Charge in Cleveland.

Ed Bouchette: And you did such a fine job in Seattle, too.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bill from So. Cal: When Smith comes back (and Keisel is signed), does that make Ziggy line depth or a potential NT? Seems like "line depth" is a curious use of a top pick.

Ed Bouchette: They did not draft him as a nose tackle, but he may have to become one.

Scott (Indy): Pass it on: I love the new chat screen.

Ed Bouchette: Wait until we add pictures!

Ed Bouchette: Thank you all for joining our new-look chat. It's good to see everyone still has a pulse. Merry Christmas, all.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022853-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0aSSYxLFE

Angus Burgher
12-22-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm wondering what is really going on with Sweed. I know that everyone wants to take the "he just sucks" approach, but I think it's something more than that. If he just sucked, then he'd continue to ride the pine. I don't think he's actually sick though, due to these comments about him working through "personal issues."

Hope the guy isn't suicidal or anything. I know that fans - and not just Steeler fans, but fans of any franchise - can be brutal to the guy that they view to be the "weak link" or whatever. Hell, that kickoff returner in Buffalo who blew their season opener against New England (I forget his name) had his house vandalized.

Hopefully people are leaving Sweed alone off the field. It is just a game, after all.

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 05:33 PM
He's playing the "CYA" game now after being called out for missing the Packers game call.

Cover
Your
Ass

He's got nothing more to report this year, it seems...

SteelGhost
12-22-2009, 05:44 PM
:uhh:Transcript of Ed Bouchette's live chat
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022853-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

polamalu43: Ed, Do you think the Steelers will WIN their final two games???

Ed Bouchette: Of all the scenarios they need to happen, that seems the most difficult to me.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022853-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0aSSYxLFE

Is this guy a Steeler Fan just being "jerkastic" ? :uhh: :horror: I'm talking about Edward B. :chuckle: