PDA

View Full Version : Steelers-Ravens Rivalry

Larry
12-22-2009, 07:42 PM
I didn't think it was possible, but I get the feeling that this thing is about to get kicked up a notch. It's hard for a real rivalry to last a decade, and this one looks like it's going to go well beyond that point.

NJarhead
12-22-2009, 07:45 PM
It might get kicked up a notch (assuming that's even possible) IF the Ravens keep us out of the playoffs. But again, it's already a bitter rivalry.

Psyychoward86
12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Terrell Suggs returns, so does Ben, and possibly Troy. There will be blood!

Angus Burgher
12-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Ugh, Suggs is back? Damn it, I was hoping that prick was out for the season.

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Eh, even if the rats manage to pull out the win, it doesn't mean they are anything special. The Steelers lost to the Chiefs, the Raiders and the Browns, too...it will simply mean that the Steelers are a bad football team this year.

That being said, I think we'll take care of business. The Packers are a better team in almost every regard, and we managed to pull that one out....

smokin3000gt
12-23-2009, 03:02 PM
It might get kicked up a notch (assuming that's even possible) IF the Ravens keep us out of the playoffs. But again, it's already a bitter rivalry.

IMO It'll kick up a notch whether they keep us out, or we keep them out the second season in a row.

Ravnet
12-24-2009, 09:37 PM
we keep them out the second season in a row.

A.) Small chance that we miss the playoffs even if you do win, whereas a win on our behalf will automatically knock you out

B.) You didn't keep us out of the playoffs last year, even though Pittsburgh swept Baltimore

Ravnet
12-24-2009, 09:39 PM
The Packers are a better team in almost every regard, and we managed to pull that one out....

So by that logic, the Browns should beat every team with comparable talent to Pittsburgh, as Cleveland defeated the Steelers.

Larry
12-25-2009, 12:44 AM
The Packers game is nothing to be too proud of...our defense did let up 36 points, 22 of them in the 4th quarter. In my mind it has almost nothing to do with this game. From what I remember the Steelers had some trouble with the Ravens running game.

Galax Steeler
12-25-2009, 05:25 AM
The Ravens and Steeler Rivalry will always be a strong one. For years it has been the best rivalry in the North and just because they are not having a good year doesn't mean that this game will be any different.

steel striker
12-26-2009, 05:42 AM
When these two teams meet you can throw the records out because, it is a dog fight. It will be a physical game but, hopefully we can win this one.

HometownGal
12-26-2009, 08:55 AM
The Packers game is nothing to be too proud of...our defense did let up 36 points, 22 of them in the 4th quarter. In my mind it has almost nothing to do with this game. From what I remember the Steelers had some trouble with the Ravens running game.

Yes our D did shit the bed in that game, but the O came through again to seal the deal.

If the D can contain Rice and keep enough pressure on Flacco to frazzle him into making mistakes, we should come out on top, as I believe the O will put up enough points in this one.

Crow-Magnon
12-26-2009, 09:50 AM
In order for there to be a "real' rivalry, you need several factors to exist. They are, IMO:

1.) the teams (of course) must be in the same conference and division

2.) they must both be normally at the top of their division (no constant dog teams allowed)

3.) they must have a long-term intense dislike, yet begrudging respect, for each other

4.) each team must have a fervent and knowledgeable fan base that nevers says die

I think Pittsburgh and Baltimore fits that description to a 'T'.

Fire Haley
12-26-2009, 09:53 AM
This one is shaping up to be a cripple fight.

Crow-Magnon
12-26-2009, 09:54 AM
This one is shaping up to be a cripple fight.

I said it before. They'd play with crutches and in wheelchairs!

GoSlash27
12-26-2009, 10:41 AM
I said it before. They'd play with crutches and in wheelchairs!
And it'll be the most ruthless cripple-fight anybody's ever seen. :thumbsup:

GoSlash27
12-26-2009, 10:49 AM
3.) they must have a long-term intense dislike, yet begrudging respect, for each other
This is about the only part I agree with in that previous post. We have had (and in some cases still have) feuds with teams that violate the other prerequisites on that list.
We generally loathe the Cowboys, the Patriots, the Titans (going back to when they were the Oilers), and have had some bad blood in the past with the Bills.
The nastiest rivalry in the history of the league was Steelers/ Raiders.

I don't consider any matchup that doesn't involve some intense dislike to really qualify as a rivalry. All bets are off on the other criteria IMO.

steeltheone
12-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Plus they are they old Browns dressed in gay purple

markymarc
12-26-2009, 03:14 PM
If the D can contain Rice and keep enough pressure on Flacco to frazzle him into making mistakes, we should come out on top, as I believe the O will put up enough points in this one.

I totally agree HG. The key for us to win is slow down Ray Rice and pressure Flacco the whole game. Ben is back for this rematch so I am not worried about our offense putting up points.

Steelman16
12-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Out of all the games where we were fairly solid defensively, one of them was the first Baltimore game. We nearly won with Dennis Dixon behind the helm making his first start. Now we have Ben back coming off of a hot performance against Green Bay.

For all the talk of it being a shootout, I don't really think it'll go down that way. It won't be one of those classic 13-10 type games, probably more of a 24-20 type.

This will be Steelers-Ravens Rivalry at its finest though. And I think on that note, our #6 ranked defense will come out and play like they're actually in the top ten.

Both teams are banged up. Both will be without their star safeties. And both are fighting for wildcard spots.

Classic. I only hope the black and gold come out on top. :drink: :tt02: :tt02:

GoSlash27
12-28-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't really think it'll go down that way. It won't be one of those classic 13-10 type games, probably more of a 24-20 type.
Prophetic! :applaudit: