PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Time for Steelers to start Townsend

mesaSteeler
12-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Bires: Time for Steelers to start Townsend
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2009/december/21/bires-time-for-steelers-to-start-townsend.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Monday December 21, 2009 08:35 PM

Random notes from the Steelers beat:

- It’s time for coach Mike Tomlin to demote William Gay, but not in favor of rookie Joe Burnett.

Two weeks ago in this space, I wrote about the poor play the Steelers are getting from Gay, a third-year pro who’s starting because of Bryant McFadden’s free-agent defection to the Arizona Cardinals. It doesn’t take a genius to see that Gay is the weak link of a secondary that’s getting worse as the season goes on.

If you saw Sunday’s 37-36 win over Green Bay, you saw Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers picking on Gay all game.

It wasn’t much better when rookie corner Burnett replaced Gay for a few series. It was Burnett who got scorched badly late in the fourth quarter on a TD pass that gave the Packers a 36-30 lead.

So why not let Townsend start?

At 34, Townsend obviously isn’t the young buck he once was. But he can’t be any worse than Gay. And he certainly has the savvy that both Gay and Burnett lack right now.

- The have now played 15 straight games — Super Bowl XLIII included — without one of their starting cornerbacks pulling in an interception.

Who was the last Steelers corner to intercept a pass? It was Townsend in last year’s AFC Championship Game win over the Baltimore Ravens.

- Right after Tomlin called for that ill-fated onsides kick in the fourth quarter, I thought he had gone mad.
Advertisement Shakespeare's Restaurant

But then his explanation made perfect sense.

The Steelers’ defense is playing so poorly that Tomlin has lost faith in them.

Tomlin figured that no matter where the Packers started that possession, they would gash right through the Steelers defense and score a game-winning field goal.

So even though Tomlin risked field position, his reward was enough time on the clock for Ben Roethlisberger to engineer a come-from-behind win.

So really, Tomlin made the right call.

- The Steelers’ defense allowed the Packers to score 22 points in the fourth quarter.

That’s not quite as bad as allowing the Oakland Raiders to score three TDs in the fourth quarter two week ago. Still, that’s pathetic.

- One of my favorite plays in Sunday’s game was Rashard Mendenhall’s short TD run in the first quarter.

It was only a 2-yarder. But what was impressive about Mendenhall on the play was that he didn’t got down after taking a violent hit from Packers linebacker Nick Barnett. He may prove be a reliable short-yardage back after all.

- Mendenhall is also becoming more of a weapon in the Steelers’ passing attack.

He caught six passes for 73 yards against the Packers. Only Hines Ward and Heath Miller, who both caught seven passes, had more.

GoSlash27
12-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Burnett didn't look bad to me. He got burned one time, but the rest of his game looked pretty solid.
Start Deshea. Start Burnett. Whichever. :noidea:

SCSTILLER
12-23-2009, 07:33 AM
I have a twist for this, start Deshea at free safety and move Clark to strong safety (if Troy isn't coming back), give Carter the boot, start Burnett and make Gay the third CB.

supa_fly_steeler
12-23-2009, 07:35 AM
- One of my favorite plays in Sunday’s game was Rashard Mendenhall’s short TD run in the first quarter.

One of my favourites things about being a Steeler fan is that i dont need to read Bires crap. TOWNSEND WOULD GET BURNED EVEN MORE...dipshit. If Burnett gets burned then what does Townsend become Revis Speed?

HometownGal
12-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Hey- why not? Couldn't hurt. I've always liked Deshea and the secondary can't get much worse.

fansince'76
12-23-2009, 09:27 AM
TOWNSEND WOULD GET BURNED EVEN MORE...dipshit. If Burnett gets burned then what does Townsend become Revis Speed?

My sentiments exactly. "Veteran savvy" can only mask turtle speed at CB so much. There's a reason Townsend isn't a starter anymore.

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I have a twist for this, start Deshea at free safety and move Clark to strong safety (if Troy isn't coming back), give Carter the boot, start Burnett and make Gay the third CB.

I agree with this assessment 100%

Dino 6 Rings
12-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Wasn't it Deshea that made the INT TD against the Cowboys last season from the Nickle spot? Why not play him at safety? With his knowledge of the game, he could read plays fast enough to help in coverage and stop those huge cashing pass plays that kill us back there. Carter is not doing his job. Bottom line.

SCSTILLER
12-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Wasn't it Deshea that made the INT TD against the Cowboys last season from the Nickle spot? Why not play him at safety? With his knowledge of the game, he could read plays fast enough to help in coverage and stop those huge cashing pass plays that kill us back there. Carter is not doing his job. Bottom line.

Then when he does do his job, like make a tackle usually past the line of scrimmage, he gets up jawwing/smack talking like he just made the greatest tackle in the history of the NFL. Drives me nuts :banging:

steelcity1974
12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Remember when Rod Woodson lost a step and the Steelers didn't re-sign him? He went on to other teams as a safety and extended his career several years and won a Super Bowl. Deshea is a smart guy that makes great moves on the ball despite his lack of speed. AND HE CAN CATCH!!! Agree to start him...at safety.

Steeldude
12-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Burnett didn't look bad to me. He got burned one time, but the rest of his game looked pretty solid.
Start Deshea. Start Burnett. Whichever. :noidea:

he looked slow to me. he missed an easy tackle that resulted in a 1st down too. he also committed a silly personal foul. that's not a good way to make first impressions.

Steeldude
12-23-2009, 10:25 AM
TOWNSEND WOULD GET BURNED EVEN MORE

he's probably the steelers most fundamentally CB at the moment. IMO, he was the best CB when he was benched, but they were trying to make a move towards youth. taylor has been regressing.

If Burnett gets burned then what does Townsend become Revis Speed

who is to say he would get burned like the slow rookie? taylor has speed, but is the most burned CB on the steelers' team. according to the stats taylor is either the 1st or 2nd most burned CB in the league.

supa_fly_steeler
12-23-2009, 10:34 AM
he's probably the steelers most fundamentally CB at the moment. IMO, he was the best CB when he was benched, but they were trying to make a move towards youth. taylor has been regressing.

who is to say he would get burned like the slow rookie? taylor has speed, but is the most burned CB on the steelers' team. according to the stats taylor is either the 1st or 2nd most burned CB in the league.

i am to say that it will happen... ike can stay with them, he just bothers to try a feeble push and not a tackle, look at the stats of after carrys, it's extremely high for taylor, not yards to reciever.

go ahead start him ahead against ted gin jr and see what happens, not disrespecting townsend he should be a saftey now. but he wont fix problems at cornerback.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
I dont know that Townsend is gonna start outside any more. More likely to see a similar rotation of Burnett and Gay at CB with Townsend playing nickel.

Burnett doesnt have deep speed, but neither does Townsend. Burnett has quicker reaction and I think if you looked at his 3-cone drill time or short shuttle in his workouts you would see quickness for playing the underneath route. Hack on Burnett all you want, but he and Keenan Lewis are likely going to be the CB's of the future.

supa_fly_steeler
12-23-2009, 12:41 PM
i dont want that piece of rubbish burnett starting.

everyone was crying about gay being benched, now this stupid twat that wanted a benching, now wants another benching... i could kick him in the head right now, the biggest whiner of a "journalist" i have ever seen

steelreserve
12-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree, we need to give Gay a reduced role and hope he can improve in the offseason. Because it does not look like he was ready to be a starter this season.

Townsend would probably do fine against the Ravens and Dolphins, but I'm not sure how he'd do matching up against a really elite QB-WR combination. But we can cross that bridge when we come to it. I don't know, maybe Burnett will be more reliable than Gay, but we really don't have a whole lot to go by.

But one thing I do know -- Gay seems to just fall down on a key play at least 3 times a game, and I can't count how many times I've seen opponents convert a 3rd-and-9 by throwing a 3-yard pass that turns into one of those 12-yard catch-and-runs that make you want to pull your hair out, and it usually happens on a play where Gay is playing so far back he's not even on the screen. He obviously needs another training camp to get ready, and if he's not, there are plenty of guys eager to take advantage of a chance.

markymarc
12-23-2009, 01:47 PM

I like your thinking!

markymarc
12-23-2009, 01:49 PM
If only Keenan Lewis could earn his special teams "hat" :chuckle:

Angus Burgher
12-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of Townsend at Safety. I'm officially done with Tyrone Carter. He's not to bad when filling in for Ryan Clark, but for Troy? Forget it. And he seems to be getting worse as the season goes on.

As for Gay and Taylor... I'd release them both at the end of this season. They're done. Well, actually, Taylor is done. Gay never even got started.

BlockMonsta
12-23-2009, 02:51 PM
How is a Taylor done? IMO he is having a bad..correction really bad year, but he is a still a good cb. What happened to K-Lewis?

Rotorhead
12-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Wow, I have been saying Townsend should be the backup safety since he was demoted, the guy is ALWAYS in the right spot when he is in, period. He is smart enough to not get burned at CB also, if he were to start at either Safety for Carter or CB for Gay our secondary would be better. He can tackle, he knows his speed and is smart enough to back off the faster guys or let our moron safety's know to watch the deep ball. Did I mention he is a sure tackler. PLEASE start Townsend for the rest of the season, give our Def a chance to be better. I dont really care who they bench, Taylor, Gay or Carter . . . right now Townsend would be an upgrade for any of them!!

Angus Burgher
12-23-2009, 04:03 PM
How is a Taylor done? IMO he is having a bad..correction really bad year, but he is a still a good cb. What happened to K-Lewis?

(Sigh) maybe you're right... it's just that I think that he may well be done. I love the guy for his overall contributions to our team over the years but I think his time might be up. Sometimes a player has an offseason but he has been getting burned way too often for a veteran player. He's not even 30 yet though, so perhaps it may just be that our whole scheme has been thrown off due to Troy's absense. But Ike's inability to ever intercept a ball, teamed with his knack for getting penalized for interference and getting beaten on routes... doesn't bode well.

supa_fly_steeler
12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Taylor needs to be lined up against the wall, then fire the electronic throwing ball cannon thing fast at his head, if he catches then he stays on the team, if he doesn't well, then you guys will never hear of him again lol

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Deshea isn't too old. Right about now, I would take the 70's Steelers defensive backs over the ones we have now. And I don't mean the 1970's versions. I mean get them out of their rocking chairs and put them on the field!

revefsreleets
12-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Great post, SC...Townsend's best days are behind him, but he's disciplined as Hell and knows how to play assignment football. If he gets smoked on a fly pattern, I at least know A) Townsend will challenge the WR at the LOS or within the legal 5 yards from it, B) He'll be in the vicinity of the play, C) He'll have probably just flat-out been outrun, and D) The offense will have had to execute the play perfectly, because if he IS burnt, and the QB underthrows it, Deshea is gonna make a solid play on the ball and may even pick it off.

Ike looks bad because he's trying to cover for Gay AND he's not getting Safety support. That's too much for any CB to overcome all at once...

GoSlash27
12-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Looks like Bires is gonna get his wish.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=45182

Rotorhead
12-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I predict 2 INT's in the next 2 games by our new starting corner :)

markymarc
12-24-2009, 11:43 AM
I predict 2 INT's in the next 2 games by our new starting corner :)

I'd be happy with just 1 by Deshea :chuckle:

Rotorhead
12-24-2009, 11:47 AM
It was funny, earlier this year I was debating on getting a new Steelers Jersey, and it came down to Townsend and a couple others . . . if he gets a pick in the next 2 games, it will be Jersey I get!

markymarc
12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
It was funny, earlier this year I was debating on getting a new Steelers Jersey, and it came down to Townsend and a couple others . . . if he gets a pick in the next 2 games, it will be Jersey I get!

You can provide more details than a couple others. So who were the other options outside of Townsend?

Rotorhead
12-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Mendy and Santo, I have a Ward and Ben jersey already.

AllD
12-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Deshea isn't too old. Right about now, I would take the 70's Steelers defensive backs over the ones we have now. And I don't mean the 1970's versions. I mean get them out of their rocking chairs and put them on the field!

Yeah, Mel Blount would probably play better now than what we can put on the field currently. If you compare them to their playing days, there was not a better CB anywhere, EVER.