PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Gay no longer starting at corner

7willBheaven
12-24-2009, 02:39 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09358/1023340-66.stm

"Steelers Notebook: Gay no longer starting at corner
Thursday, December 24, 2009
By Chuck Finder and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin has stirred -- if not shaken -- up a Steelers secondary carved recently as if it were a holiday dinner entree.

Tomlin yesterday informed starting cornerback William Gay that his role would change for this week against Baltimore, at least.

Gay was demoted to nickel-package duty at cornerback while longtime starting left cornerback Deshea Townsend was elevated to the first team. Townsend will continue to cover the slot receiver in the nickel.

"That was the decision Coach gave me. That's the game plan, I guess," Gay said after yesterday's practice. "You got to always go with the head coach. He makes the best decisions to suit the situation. I just got to go in and do my best. The season isn't over yet. And you're always one play away [from an injury to a regular player]. You definitely want to stay ready."

Townsend remains a trivia question poignant to the secondary's current woes: Who is the last Steelers cornerback to intercept a pass in a regular-season or playoff game?

"Probably would be me," Townsend answered correctly, in reference to his pick against Baltimore in the AFC championship game -- 15 such games ago. "Let's see if we can get it done this week."

The Steelers have allowed 308 and 383 yards passing in their past two home games, against the Raiders and Packers, and three touchdowns apiece. They rank second-to-last in the NFL with just eight interceptions, none by cornerbacks.
Polamalu a no-go

Safety Troy Polamalu said the results of a magnetic resonance imaging on his injured knee were "encouraging," but added that it is unlikely he will return to practice this week, meaning he will not play Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens.

Polamalu has missed the past six games with a strain to the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, an injury that can take up to six weeks to heal.
Infirm starters absent

Missing practice yesterday because of injuries were: defensive end Brett Keisel (neck), reserve cornerback Anthony Madison (illness), backup halfback Willie Parker (knee) and receiver Hines Ward (hamstring), who usually sits out Wednesdays along with linebacker James Farrior, a healthy scratch from practice.

Limited in practice were: halfback Rashard Mendenhall (hip), receiver Mike Wallace (knee) and reserve cornerback Keenan Lewis (back).

Left guard Chris Kemoeatu, who sat out all of last week to rest an ailing wrist, returned to practice and considered himself healthy enough to start.
Welcome the new guys

Graybeard receiver Joey Galloway, who really does have a gray-flecked beard, was gleeful about donning black and gold. Long snapper Jared Retkofsky felt a tad bittersweet over the situation that placed him back in those colors.

So went the first official day of work for those signed Tuesday to replace Limas Sweed (illness/personal) and Greg Warren (successful surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament yesterday), who were put on injured reserve.

"You always dream of those opportunities," said Galloway, a 15-year vet who grew up a Steelers fan in Bellaire, Ohio.

He was cut Oct. 20 by New England, returned to his Columbus, Ohio, home to prepare for the holidays and got the call from the Steelers while Christmas shopping.

Retkofsky had workouts with Washington, Atlanta and Houston while selling real estate in Fort Worth, Texas, where he admittedly wore to work the Super Bowl XLIII ring he won while filling in last year when Warren tore the ACL in his other leg. He actually got the call from Warren, who told him of the opening.
Quick hits

The Ravens signed cornerback Corey Ivy, who spent the week before the Nov. 29 Baltimore game as a member of the Steelers. ... The Steelers submitted their ballots yesterday for the Pro Bowl a week before the Super Bowl in Miami. They weren't allowed to vote for teammates, however."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont mind this move. Deshea has been playing consistent most of the year...its not like it could make things much worse, right?

steelreserve
12-24-2009, 03:27 AM
This is a fine decision, since Gay was certainly living up to his name.

I really don't think Townsend should have any problem against the Ravens' geriatric and/or bumbling receivers.

MasterOfPuppets
12-24-2009, 03:43 AM
about 3 weeks too late if you ask me....:noidea:

zulater
12-24-2009, 06:58 AM

How true.

Galax Steeler
12-24-2009, 07:06 AM
I still don't think that is our answer it might help for now but not long term we need to draft or sign us a couple of good corners. That way we will be set for years to come.

Triggerfish
12-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Amen brother! I've been campaigning for his ass to be run outta town since the beginning of the season. I realize on a Steelers fan site, this is gonna be almost blasphemy, but I hate that dude! I mean really....I loathe him. He defines the word "suck". He's looked totally lost out there all season, and how Tomlin didn't pull his ass weeks ago is beyond me. Not only does he suck on the field, he acted like a total asshat at the parade last year. Like anyone wants to hear that idiot on the microphone?! Let someone who actually HELPED win the Superbowl speak you freakin' no-talent toolbag!

So, yea...this is the best Steelers news I've heard in a LONG time! Whew...I feel better now. Just had to rant there fellas. hahahaha :blah:

Crow-Magnon
12-24-2009, 08:34 AM

I really don't think Townsend should have any problem against the Ravens' geriatric and/or bumbling receivers.

They may not be the best receivers in the NFL, but they aren't that bad. Anyway, I guess we'll find out Sunday.

HometownGal
12-24-2009, 08:35 AM

Bingo. That is all.

Steelblitz6
12-24-2009, 08:54 AM
We have been talking about this suspect secondary for years, and they have yet to do anything about it. Benching Gay is a start, but Tyrone Carter needs to be the next one run out of town. The obvious is drafting a couple "shut down" corners, and hoping Polamalu can stay healthy for an entire season. For now we'll just have to hope that the offense can out score the Ravens/Dolphins, and that this team won't quit, like they did against the Browns. :helmet:

GoSlash27
12-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I agree it's not a permanent solution, but it is a temporary solution.
Our mission right now is to beat the Ravens. We do that, and we stand a very good chance of getting Troy back in the lineup in time for Miami.

klick81
12-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Geez man...it's about TIME.

Glace
12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Merry Christmas, Galloway. Now make some catches for us!

Mike Tomlin - THANK YOU!!!

Experience makes almost as much of a difference in coverage as speed does. Townsend brings a TON of experience and can put himself in the best position to make a play. I don't even think I'm being optimistic if I say he gets a pick this week.

Look at old-man Ty Law....the dude definitely doesn't have the speed anymore...sometimes makes up for that by grabbing receivers....but the dude is a ball-hawk. He always seems to be in the right position. Even now you don't throw at him carelessly.

solardave
12-24-2009, 10:54 AM

I agree.

stlrz fan
12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Gay has been a punching bag all season and certainly the weakest link on defense. I try to avoid ever saying cut somebody but I think that we have seen all that Gay has to offer.

steelpride12
12-24-2009, 11:22 AM
It's about time. It seems during the last 5 weeks when the secondary look non existing I would see Townsend make a strong play or two when he is not even a starter!
This guy may be older, but he was was our second corner and know's how to play this position.
Great move Steelers!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-24-2009, 11:34 AM
you mean it took them this long to realize what the fans realized 5 weeks ago?

Please........know your place, as you are just a fan on a message board. These men are professional football people that know what they are doing.

Sincerely, Bruce Davis LB, UCLA :rulez:

markymarc
12-24-2009, 11:57 AM
What took so long Mike? Now let's work on getting TC back to the bench.

Vincent
12-24-2009, 12:09 PM
This young Lewis fellow we drafted to play cornerback, what's the story with him? We read that he doesn't practice because of a bad back. If he's serviceable, I'd like to see da yute some out there.

These men are professional football people that know what they are doing.

Sincerely, Bruce Davis LB, UCLA :rulez:

As Mr. Davis' counsel, I concur. Scott Shields, Public Defender and Sports Agent.

Not to dump on the FO, but we have made some remarkable "moves", non moves, and attempted moves over the years. Guessing most teams have a similar résumé they'd prefer to leave in the drawer. Just for historical perspective and :doh:...

http://www.steelertribute.com/L_WORST_PRSNL.HTM

Merchant
12-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Gay is benched!!!

It's a christmas miracle!!!

BehindSteelCurtain
12-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Joe Haden anyone?

Psyychoward86
12-24-2009, 12:24 PM
What took so long Mike? Now let's work on getting TC back to the bench.

and start who? Mundy?

Merchant
12-24-2009, 01:23 PM
and start who? Mundy?

We can just put a pylon in the middle of the field. It would have the same effect more or less.

Even more effective would be a cardboard cut-out of Troy.

casteeler
12-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Merry Chistmas to all and to all a good secondary!

austinfrench76
12-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Great news about Gay. Galloway CHOSE New England I thought in the pre season. Didn't he make some comment about wanting to play for a "1st Class" organization?! Just sayin....

austinfrench76
12-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Our DB's can't catch but Burnett did catch one in pre season and he took it to the house. I know he dropped the one against OAK but i'm just sayin...

supa_fly_steeler
12-24-2009, 03:13 PM
he will get burned by mark clayton lol, CAREER HIGH FOR FLACCO.

Flacco will throw it deep, townsend will be beaten, should of started keenan lewis.

Preacher
12-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I think that was a very good call.

Look for a lot more cover-2 to help Townsend on the top end of the routes though.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-24-2009, 04:10 PM
As Mr. Davis' counsel, I concur. Scott Shields, Public Defender and Sports Agent.

Not to dump on the FO, but we have made some remarkable "moves", non moves, and attempted moves over the years. Guessing most teams have a similar résumé they'd prefer to leave in the drawer. Just for historical perspective and :doh:...

http://www.steelertribute.com/L_WORST_PRSNL.HTM

Not criticizing the Steelers for any move or non move, but rather those posters here on the board that often criticize other posters for making predictions because....."they are not football professionals."

I think a lot of draftniks here didnt like the Bruce Davis pick, just as many didnt like how Gay was playing. But, with Gay, I honestly liked the idea of letting him try and play thru it.

Lamberts Lost Tooth promoted Doug Legursky before he was ever done at Marshall, others liked Brandon Jacobs in the 4th round instead of Fred Gibson or Chris Canty instead of Trai Essex in the 3rd. All good picks made by amateurs that deserve recognition, instead of ridicule.

7willBheaven
12-24-2009, 04:32 PM
This young Lewis fellow we drafted to play cornerback, what's the story with him? We read that he doesn't practice because of a bad back. If he's serviceable, I'd like to see da yute some out there.

I wouldnt mind this either...or at least have him in the rotation. I never heard anythign about this bad back so i cant comment on that. I do remember sometime within the last month or so...i think i was either reading a Tomlin press conference or an article with some Tomlin quotes in it...but it was saying that earlier in the season Lewis was injured and he didnt get to practice and such and so he fell behind in learning some of the D which is why he's been inactive more than Burnett, because Joe has moved ahead of him based on being able to practice/etc.

I dunno how they could work it work it with inactives...this weekend will probably be something like this. Batch (3rd QB), Troy, Hills, Urbik, Harris, Eason and probably one of Grisham or Galloway...which leaves 1 more that needs to be inactive. Unless someone else is injured and cant play I dunno who else they could have inactive...Logan? And have Wallace/Moore/Holmes/Burnett back for returns? Who knows....

pepsyman1
12-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Deshea is older at this point, but he is a FAR better cover guy than Gay has turned out to be. He had a couple of good plays against Green Bay when he was in and has the ability to play good man to man when necessary. Sounds like a good idea to me.

ChrisKemoFan
12-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Is it necessary to be homophobic?

johnnyribcage
12-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Good riddance to Gay rubbish. Where was this call a month ago?

Texasteel
12-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Joe Haden anyone?

Lost any chance of that last week.