PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben: Steelers not a 'run-first team anymore'

mesaSteeler
12-24-2009, 06:43 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/12/24/big-ben-steelers-not-a-run-first-team-anymore/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Big Ben: Steelers not a 'run-first team anymore'
December 24th, 2009

The Steelers are now a pass-first team and fans that pine for the days when Pittsburgh pounded opposing defenses with the run need to accept if not embrace the change.

That is the message Ben Roethlisberger sent Wednesday during his weekly Q&A with reporters.

Fresh off a 503-yard, three-touchdown passing performance, Roethlisberger said, Its probably hard for people to really wrap their head and fingers around it, but this offense is changing. Its not a run-first team anymore. Thats not a bad thing, it really isnt. Weve got two 1,000-yard receivers, well have a 1,000-yard rusher. You know, its a pretty fun thing.

Such a sentiment might make traditionalists cringe but Roethlisberger merely articulated what has become reality since Bruce Arians took over as offensive coordinator in 2007.

And the approach, as unpalatable as it may be to some, means that the Steelers are merely up with the times.

Seven of the eight division leaders in the NFL rank among the top 12 passing teams. First and third, respectively, are the Colts and Saints.

They have one loss between them.

If the Steelers are part of a trend that has taken root in the NFL, they have also had to take their approach out of necessity.

The defense is not nearly the same without strong safety Troy Polamalu and defensive end Aaron Smith. When the Steelers play a team with a good offense more often than not they are going to have to outscore them as what happened against Green Bay last Sunday.

And if the Steelers somehow sneak into the playoffs, they are going to have to put up points if they want to advance in them.

Hes the real reason why were in this position right now, defensive end Brett Keisel said of Roethlisberger, because of the way he got his offense ready to play. Hes one of the greats.

The Steelers will ride the right arm of Roethlisberger the rest of the way and this much is certain: the Ravens will see a different offense Sunday than the one the Steelers put on the field in Baltimore a month ago.

With Roethlisberger out because of a concussion and Dennis Dixon making his first NFL start, the Steelers took a conservative approach on offense.

Dixon played well enough for the Steelers to win but the defense could not make a fourth-quarter lead stand up.

Rest assured, the Steelers will go down with their offense if they lose again to the Ravens, especially with Roethlisberger play at a high level and with such confidence.

(Arians) always wants us to score as many points as we have minutes in time of possession. I think thats a good goal for us, Roethlisberger said. Its something we feel we can strive for, because we have a really good offense. We should put three points on the board every time we have the ball.
Filed under: Steelers Comment (0)

Galax Steeler
12-24-2009, 07:08 AM
I think everyone saw this one a coming Ben is approaching 4,000 yards so that should tell someone something. In reality we still have Mendenhall approaching a 1,000 yards as well. So it seems like we still have the running game if we need it.

stlrtruck
12-24-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't mind them not being a run first team. I just don't want them to become the abandon the run team they've been throughout the season.

markymarc
12-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm happy with whatever works and gets us the victory.

Psyychoward86
12-24-2009, 11:47 AM
havent they already said this a bunch of times already

HometownGal
12-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't mind them not being a run first team. I just don't want them to become the abandon the run team they've been throughout the season.

I think given the fact that we'll have a 1,000 rusher (Mendy) and already have over 1,500 yards gained on the ground this season with 2 games remaining strongly suggests that we haven't abandoned the run.

GoSlash27
12-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I preferred being a run-first team. But we didn't need Ben to tell us that. The lack of a FB kinda tipped us off.

stillers4me
12-24-2009, 12:42 PM
No shit, Ben. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
12-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Our only hope is if Ben retires - then we draft Tebow, I bet that he'll want to run the ball

MACH1
12-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I think given the fact that we'll have a 1,000 rusher (Mendy) and already have over 1,500 yards gained on the ground this season with 2 games remaining strongly suggests that we haven't abandoned the run.

But wouldn't it be nice to run the ball at the end of a game and run the time out, control the clock, instead of the empty shotgun sets we've seen all year.

WH
12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Without reading the article, and going completely off the thread title. my response is

No shit sherlock.

zulater
12-24-2009, 02:28 PM
As long as they don't make a habit of going empty back sets on first and goal from the 9, and in 3rd and short situations they can pass as much as they like.

There's nothing wrong with being slanted towards the pass, but you still have to be situationally effecitve with your running game.

If that makes sense? :chuckle:

austinfrench76
12-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Passing team or not we still have a 1,000 yard rusher. For a "passing " team, that's not too bad. Especially considering he didn't start unitl the 4th week of the year!

AllD
12-24-2009, 09:00 PM
We need to turn back the clock with split tailbacks behind BB.

BB looks more like Joe Montana scrambling early in his career than Elway.

steelpride12
12-24-2009, 09:21 PM
We need a Fullback! And the I- Formation and then that pass game can go crazy!

Gnutella
12-24-2009, 09:53 PM
What's funny is, after Ben Roethlisberger joined the "500 Club" last Sunday, half the analysts in the football universe said something to the effect of, "This isn't 'Steelers football,' and they won't win if they continue this way." Never mind that the Colts, Patriots, Chargers, Saints and Eagles don't play "Steelers football" either, and they have no problem winning games, and nobody complains about their approach. I will also bet everybody a dollar amount greater than or equal to my personal debt load that after this season is done, when people discuss how to fix the Steelers, everybody will talk about how they "need to run the ball more," and that "having Big Ben throw 30 or more times per game is not a recipe for success." Never mind that the defense and special teams need far more improvement than the offense does. Simply put, "This isn't Steelers football" is code for "Ben Roethlisberger needs to be put in his place." The way the media treats him is not unlike the way Southern politicians treated black people during the 1950's and 1960's.

AllD
12-24-2009, 10:05 PM
What's funny is, after Ben Roethlisberger joined the "500 Club" last Sunday, half the analysts in the football universe said something to the effect of, "This isn't 'Steelers football,' and they won't win if they continue this way." Never mind that the Colts, Patriots, Chargers, Saints and Eagles don't play "Steelers football" either, and they have no problem winning games, and nobody complains about their approach. I will also bet everybody a dollar amount greater than or equal to my personal debt load that after this season is done, when people discuss how to fix the Steelers, everybody will talk about how they "need to run the ball more," and that "having Big Ben throw 30 or more times per game is not a recipe for success." Never mind that the defense and special teams need far more improvement than the offense does. Simply put, "This isn't Steelers football" is code for "Ben Roethlisberger needs to be put in his place." The way the media treats him is not unlike the way Southern politicians treated black people during the 1950's and 1960's.

The media is more like anti-Roethlisbergerites.

iloveben7
12-25-2009, 01:19 AM
^they so are

Gnutella
12-25-2009, 03:38 AM
The media is more like anti-Roethlisbergerites.

That was my point. They don't like it when Roethlisberger has success throwing the ball, and when he does, they treat him in much the same manner that Southern politicians treated black people in the 1950's and 1960's, with code statements meant to imply that he's getting too uppity for their liking, such as "This isn't Steelers football." (TRANSLATION: "What'chu doin', throwin' the ball around? Know yo' place, boy!")

WH
12-25-2009, 03:51 AM
That was my point. They don't like it when Roethlisberger has success throwing the ball, and when he does, they treat him in much the same manner that Southern politicians treated black people in the 1950's and 1960's, with code statements meant to imply that he's getting too uppity for their liking, such as "This isn't Steelers football." (TRANSLATION: "What'chu doin', throwin' the ball around? Know yo' place, boy!")

They'll be like that until all the 40-60 somethings get the F out of the media. Which won't be until they retire because all the 40-60 somethings in Pittsburgh agree with them. All of them are still stuck on the ''good 'ole days'' of Franco and Mean Joe. And most are too damn stubborn to accept change.