View Full Version : Steelers' Hampton making best of chances

mesaSteeler
12-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Steelers' Hampton making best of chances
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_659405.html#
By Mark Kaboly
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 25, 2009

When the Steelers didn't come to Casey Hampton during the offseason with a contract extension, he knew exactly what that meant.

The two-time Pro Bowler and a member of the franchise's 75th anniversary team hasn't quite given up returning to the only team he has ever played since being a first-round pick in 2001, but he knows the odds of him returning are not favorable.

"Like anything else, it is a business to me and it is business to them," said Hampton, who is in the final months of a 5-year, $22.75 million contract he signed before the start of the 2005 season. "They let me go into the final year of my contract, so the consequences with that is that there is a possibility I might not be here. That's bottom line, point blank. No other way to look at it."

So instead of complaining about the possibility of not being in the team's future, Hampton decided to take a different mode of operation.

The big man in the middle of the Steelers' 3-4 defense that has finished No. 1 against the run four times since his arrival has been on a mission to prove that he is still one of the most disruptive nose tackles in the NFL.

And he's succeeding.

"He is playing well, and it is an accumulation of several things," defensive line mate Brett Keisel said. "It is his contract year. Also, I think Casey had a lot of criticism from a lot of people about his weight and stuff like that. It got to the point where he wanted to go and show people what he is capable of."

Hampton has been one of the few bright spots on a maligned defense.

He already has a career-high three sacks, is on pace for his third-most tackles and very well could set a career high in that category by season's end. He's also on schedule to play in all 16 games for the first time in five years.

"All of that, and he is usually just a first- and second-down guy," Keisel said. "For him to be doing what he is doing says a lot about him."

That's because Hampton only plays in the Steelers' base defense. When they go to any of their sub packages, Hampton comes off the field, thus making his opportunities to make an impact limited.

"I am taking advantage of opportunities that I get," Hampton said. "That's about it. I am taking advantage of it. I am not missing a lot of tackles. When I have the opportunity, I am making the best of it."

Hampton's resurgence has been linked to arriving to training camp in August in much better shape than the year before. Coach Mike Tomlin was so upset how he prepared for the 2008 season that he placed him on the physically-unable-to-perform list to start the year and didn't allow him on the practice field until he got into better shape.

That took two weeks. This year, there was no problem.

"His health is better this year," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "He is in great shape and is just playing some outstanding football, but year in and year out, that is what Casey has done for us."

Defensive captain and veteran linebacker James Farrior also thinks a slimmer and trimmer Hampton has been the secret to his success.

"I think Casey has come into the season in better shape than years past," Farrior said. "He didn't need that extra time to try to get himself in shape. He came into camp ready to go, and that really helped out a lot."

Hampton, who is listed at 6-foot-1, 325 pounds, politely disagreed with the assessment of his coach and the captain's theory about his physical health.

"Nah," Hampton said. "I came in shape and out of shape and still played good. It really doesn't matter."

But the difference on the field between last year and this year has been stunning, and that very well could change the minds of the organization come March 4 when Hampton officially hits the free-agent market.

"I am not going to sugar-coat it like I am going to be back here because there is definitely a chance that I won't," Hampton said. "But I have not given up on it. I would love to be back here. You never know how things are going to go. I am not going to say I am not going to be here because you never know."

The Steelers don't really have a replacement in waiting, which could make them seriously look into re-signing him.

"I am sure all of that will take care of itself," Keisel said. "I can't imagine this locker room without him."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

steel9guy
12-25-2009, 10:35 AM
I really hope we resign him but this reminds me of when fanaca left.

Psyychoward86
12-25-2009, 10:58 AM
It would be nice to have him back here. Based on his work ethic and age, maybe not too long, but just long enough to find a replacement. I've enjoyed his time in Pittsburgh, but we might have as much trouble replacing Big Snack as we did Bryant Mcfadden, and that worries me. A dominating nose tackle is a MUST in our 3-4

Men of Steel
12-25-2009, 11:14 AM
hopefully hampton LOVES Pittsburgh enough to agree to stay even if a contract offer isnt in the BAZILLIONS like other high value players get.

kinda hope he follows in farriors and wards footseps.
ziggy hood can use some good mentoring for the next couple years :thumbsup:

GoSlash27
12-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I really do hope we get to keep Big Snack. Those are some awfully big shoes for Chris Hoke to fill.

Mags87
12-25-2009, 11:49 AM
whether or not he comes back, i still want Cody out of 'Bama in the draft.

Psyychoward86
12-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I really do hope we get to keep Big Snack. Those are some awfully big shoes for Chris Hoke to fill.

he filled them pretty good 12 times in '04 :thumbsup:

supa_fly_steeler
12-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Hoke replacing Hampton is not good enough look at his age, we will probably get hamtpon back... or he goes to houston lol.

Merchant
12-25-2009, 12:03 PM

Everyone's saying they want this guy, but my concern is how durable he's going to be. He's soo big. That can't be easy on his joints and all that. I predict he's gonna have a lot of health issues once he enters the NFL.

nikstar
12-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Everyone's saying they want this guy, but my concern is how durable he's going to be. He's soo big. That can't be easy on his joints and all that. I predict he's gonna have a lot of health issues once he enters the NFL.

Sound's like your describing Hampton again...

I really really think the steelers trade picks with someone (browns?) and pick up Cody and let one big man go for the other, however I wish big snack wasn't so against being tagged, Franchise tagging him for one year AND drafting Cody for him to play under for his rookie season would be perfect. Imagine the trench war with Snack playing a down or to, and a fresh Cody coming in for 3rd down, no doubt there would be penetration and may help to solve the 3rd down issues.

Only in a perfect world

steeltheone
12-25-2009, 06:04 PM
The only way hampton comes back is a big reduction in pay. We have to get younger.

MasterOfPuppets
12-25-2009, 06:13 PM
The only way hampton comes back is a big reduction in pay. We have to get younger.
reduction ? :rofl: ....he'll get 7 or 8 mill a year with someone else. why would he take less than the 4 mill avg he gets now ?

Stlrs4Life
12-25-2009, 07:32 PM
hopefully hampton LOVES Pittsburgh enough to agree to stay even if a contract offer isnt in the BAZILLIONS like other high value players get.

kinda hope he follows in farriors and wards footseps.
ziggy hood can use some good mentoring for the next couple years :thumbsup:

I hope so too. But I don't think we should break the bank on him either. Part of the reason he is having a good season, is the fact that he is in a contract year. We give him the big money, he slacks off next year.

markymarc
12-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I would like to see the FO franchise Hampton in the off season and then draft his future replacement. If we did lose Hampton, I believe Hoke can fill in nicely as well. The entire defense needs a nice injection of youth outside of Timmons and Woodley.

nikstar
12-26-2009, 02:08 PM
I would like to see the FO franchise Hampton in the off season and then draft his future replacement. If we did lose Hampton, I believe Hoke can fill in nicely as well. The entire defense needs a nice injection of youth outside of Timmons and Woodley.

Another compliment to why Hampton leaving at the end of the year seems to be make a lot of sense, Hoke is a perfect 3rd down replacement for a rookie NT. Hoke could probably be a used a little bit more in coverage because he has always been seen as lighter than the Big man, which hopefully will fit better into a coverage defense that Tomlin likes to run.

steeltheone
12-26-2009, 02:38 PM
reduction ? :rofl: ....he'll get 7 or 8 mill a year with someone else. why would he take less than the 4 mill avg he gets now ?

Just sayin...We wont take him at that price,nor should we. Smith and Farrior bye bye

OneForTheToe
12-26-2009, 04:39 PM
First, can we stop the talk about Ziggy being Hampton's replacement. Ziggy has done ok this season by being able to get on the field. His goal for next year should be more playing time rather than trying to start at a position he is undersized for. Maybe he could paly some third down and long snaps at NT, but he will not be "big snack's" replacement as a starter.

I would be in favor of franchising Casey, but I wonder how he would take that? I like Casey, but he seems to have the type of personality that leads me to believe that might be willing to sit out or be a cancer in the locker room.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mags87

His joints are good enough for him to dunk a basketball...That being said I would take either him or Dan Williams out of Tennesee if they are available in the first. I would probably lean towards Williams.

steelreserve
12-26-2009, 08:07 PM

His cap number is something like $6 million this season, and we have an extra $3 or $4 million that we didn't even use for some inexplicable reason this year. So if we want him back, I really don't see us having a big problem finding enough money.

Still, if there's no cap in 2010, this has franchise tag written all over it.

steelerzfannforever
12-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I look for the Steelers to tag Casey. We did it with Starks 2 years in a row I believe, and in my opinion Casey is more valuable and worth more than Starks was the first time around. I dont think the Steelers will let him walk, but they will the year after because they will have his replacement well groomed.

BehindSteelCurtain
12-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Is that Mount Everest????? No....that's our new DT...... MT. Cody