PDA

View Full Version : Steelers need to end turnover drought

mesaSteeler
12-26-2009, 01:39 AM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/12/25/steelers-need-to-end-turnover-drought/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Steelers need to end turnover drought
December 25th, 2009

Here is something that does not bode well for the Steelers Sunday, when they play the visiting Ravens in a must-win game for the reigning Super Bowl champions.

Baltimore is 6-1 in games this season in which quarterback Joe Flacco has not thrown an interception. And the Steelers have just eight interceptions this season, none since Nov. 9 when they picked off Kyle Orton three times in a 28-10 win at Denver.

Help for a beleaguered secondary wonít come from All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu, who leads the Steelers with three interceptions despite playing in only five games, for at least another week.

Polamalu (knee) didnít practice again today, and he has been ruled out for the 1 p.m. game at Heinz Field.

Flacco is a different quarterback when he steers clear of interceptions.

In the seven games that he has not committed a turnover via the air this season, the second-year signal caller has a passer rating of over 100 in six of them.

Whether the Steelers harass Flacco into ill-advised passes -- he threw five interceptions in three games against them last season -- or force (and recover) fumbles they need to be more opportunistic Sunday.

They have not had any takeaways since the Ravens lost a pair of fumbles in their 20-17 overtime win against the Steelers on Nov. 29. The Steelers have gone three consecutive games without forcing a turnover, which is unheard of for a team with a well-regarded defense.

If that trend continues against Baltimore, the Steelers may need their offense to win the game for them as what happened last week against Green Bay.

solardave
12-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Deshea is capable of picking balls off though and he is in. Let's hope he has a career day against Flacco.

HometownGal
12-26-2009, 08:25 AM
The lack of turnovers has really hurt the Steelers D this season and for them to be successful against the Rats on Sunday, they need to find their mojo and frazzle Flacco into making mistakes. I'd also like to see them go after the ball when making tackles - they just don't seem as aggressive in that regard this season.

zulater
12-26-2009, 10:14 AM
The lack of turnovers has really hurt the Steelers D this season and for them to be successful against the Rats on Sunday, they need to find their mojo and frazzle Flacco into making mistakes. I'd also like to see them go after the ball when making tackles - they just don't seem as aggressive in that regard this season.

It's hurt more than the defense, it's hurting the whole team. It's built into the equation for success that you have to force turnovers with your defense to occasionally give the offense a short field. What's really mind boggling is that the team is usually generating good pressure on the quarterback. The fact that opposing receivers are coming open so early is inexcusable. I really think a lot more blame should fall on LeBeau and Tomlin for continuing to focus on stopping the big play while allowing opposing qb's carte blanche underneath. And the real irony is that since Carter, Clark, Gay and Ike are so poor in coverage even when they overcompensate to stop the big play they still get burned more than their fair share of times in that way. :doh:

markymarc
12-26-2009, 03:08 PM
It sure would be nice to force Flacco into throwing a couple picks tomorrow. Even if we don't create a turnover, I would be happy with just the defense making stops when they need to late in the game. Tomorrow would be a great time to start :tt02:

Texasteel
12-26-2009, 04:44 PM
I am hoping they force the Ravens to turn the ball over, but right now I would be happy if they would just wrap up their darn tackles.

Psyychoward86
12-26-2009, 04:46 PM
i always use to argue back against people who said our 2ndary is nothing without Troy, but gee they sound like geniuses. Prove me wrong!

stb_steeler
12-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Deshea is capable of picking balls off though and he is in. Let's hope he has a career day against Flacco.

Yep, he seems to be the only one that holds on to the ball. Lets hope he doesnt prove us wrong Sunday........:tt02:

BozMan
12-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Really surprising with the lack of takeaways this year. The few times that we actually did get some takeaways, we won big games (MIN, @DEN).

steelcity58
12-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm predicting 2 picks and a forced fumble recovery today.:tt03:

steelerchad
12-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm predicting 2 picks and a forced fumble recovery today.:tt03:

Wow. Who in our secondary could actually catch the ball if it is thrown in their direction. I hope your right though. I think without a turnover or 2 our D is in trouble in this game.

steelcity58
12-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Wow. Who in our secondary could actually catch the ball if it is thrown in their direction. I hope your right though. I think without a turnover or 2 our D is in trouble in this game.

Deshea and one of the defensive lineman, both on pop-ups.

Harrison plays and strips Flaccid on a sack/fumble.