PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Mock Draft 1st try

Steel Glory
12-27-2009, 01:52 AM
To be honest the reason I joined this community is because I stumbled on the war room and you guys all knew your stuff about the draft, which I like to watch. So here's my first real try, tell me what you think. I am guessing they pick somewhere around 15-20 if they don't make the playoffs. If they do, anything goes.

Points- Ryan Clark, Parker and Carter are let go. Hampton is resigned, Reed is resigned. Arians is fired or demoted. More run oriented OC comes in.

1. Bruce Campbell, LT, Maryland

With Hampton resigned and top defensive backs Haden and Berry already gone look for a left tackle at this spot. Max Starks has been horrendous and needs to be on the bench. Steelers have shown they aren't afraid to take an injured player early as well (see Miller, Heath).

2. Ras-I Dowling, CB/FS, Virginia

Both areas have need for depth. Tomlin likes versatility and if he is still around this is the pick.

3. Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa

Already looks good in black and gold and is a solid football player. Boasted over 100 tackles both seasons he started (Junior and Senior year). Also had 5 picks his first year starting and another his Senior season.

4. Noel Devine, RB/KR, West Virginia

Fast kid. Around the same speed as Mike Wallace at 5'8. Would take the place of Fast Willie and Stefan Logan. He would be like our Darren Sproles. May shy away from him due to character issues though. I love the possibilities with this pick-up

4b. O'Brien Schofield, OLB, Wisconsin

Maybe a bit late for this guy, but with the junior talent at almost every position in this draft that is likely to declare, a lot of players could fall into the later rounds. Brings needed depth at outside linebacker.

5. Vladimir Ducasse, OG, UMass

A colossal guy that can plow holes. Nearing 330 pounds and a strong lineman, should have no problem creating running lanes for Mendenhall.

5b. Taylor Price, WR, Ohio

Another Mike Wallace type receiver at 6'1" running around a 4.37. Produced well in college nearly breaking reception records for his school. May rise after combine.

6. Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana

A once widely hyped player has fallen well off the radar. His sophomore year, he led the nation in sacks with 16. He also had 50 tackles, 17 for a loss and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Since then his production has fallen off and he only recorded 7 sacks the following 2 seasons. A work in progress but has potential that would be hard to pass up.

7. Scot Sicko, TE, New Hampshire

Led his team in receptions with 57 for over 700 yards. Also led team with 9 TD catches. His senior year was really his breakout season. Plus his name is really cool.

Texasteel
12-27-2009, 07:25 AM
To be honest the reason I joined this community is because I stumbled on the war room and you guys all knew your stuff about the draft, which I like to watch. So here's my first real try, tell me what you think. I am guessing they pick somewhere around 15-20 if they don't make the playoffs. If they do, anything goes.

Points- Ryan Clark, Parker and Carter are let go. Hampton is resigned, Reed is resigned. Arians is fired or demoted. More run oriented OC comes in.

With Hampton resigned and top defensive backs Haden and Berry already gone look for a left tackle at this spot. Max Starks has been horrendous and needs to be on the bench. Steelers have shown they aren't afraid to take an injured player early as well (see Miller, Heath).

Would be a very nice pick, but starting to think he will be gone in the top 10.

Both areas have need for depth. Tomlin likes versatility and if he is still around this is the pick.

I do like this pick, think he would make a better FS, which we need.

Already looks good in black and gold and is a solid football player. Boasted over 100 tackles both seasons he started (Junior and Senior year). Also had 5 picks his first year starting and another his Senior season.

Don't think I need to coment on this one.:thumbsup:

Fast kid. Around the same speed as Mike Wallace at 5'8. Would take the place of Fast Willie and Stefan Logan. He would be like our Darren Sproles. May shy away from him due to character issues though. I love the possibilities with this pick-up

Interesting idea, but I think if we go RB here, would likely be Gerhart or Doxon.

Maybe a bit late for this guy, but with the junior talent at almost every position in this draft that is likely to declare, a lot of players could fall into the later rounds. Brings needed depth at outside linebacker.

May be gone a round earlier, but would be a nice pick for us.

A colossal guy that can plow holes. Nearing 330 pounds and a strong lineman, should have no problem creating running lanes for Mendenhall.

See above.

Another Mike Wallace type receiver at 6'1" running around a 4.37. Produced well in college nearly breaking reception records for his school. May rise after combine.

I knew he had nice size, but didn't realize he was that fast. If he shows hands at the combine likely will be gone.

A once widely hyped player has fallen well off the radar. His sophomore year, he led the nation in sacks with 16. He also had 50 tackles, 17 for a loss and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Since then his production has fallen off and he only recorded 7 sacks the following 2 seasons. A work in progress but has potential that would be hard to pass up.

Seems to have fallen from grace. Could be a little small for a DE for us.

Led his team in receptions with 57 for over 700 yards. Also led team with 9 TD catches. His senior year was really his breakout season. Plus his name is really cool.

Nice job bud!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-27-2009, 11:26 AM

Good draft (predicated on Hampton being resigned).

I like the picks of Campbell, Schofield, and Middleton!

Very nice.

Steel Glory
12-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think if the coaches think Middleton is too small for them at DE he could also fill in at outside linebacker. He might even be better served switching over and learning for a while behind Harrison and Woodley.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-27-2009, 11:53 PM
I know a Maryland resident that would like that #1 pick. :wink:

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2009, 01:22 AM
I know a Maryland resident that would like that #1 pick. :wink:
i know a MD resident that thinks he might end up being the first tackle off the board if he has the combine numbers he's predicted to have. he should throw up about 37 reps (i think i read somewhere he benches 450 or so ) and run a low 5 forty. those kinda numbers shot jason smith infront of the other OT's last year.

Texasteel
12-28-2009, 04:28 AM
i know a MD resident that thinks he might end up being the first tackle off the board if he has the combine numbers he's predicted to have. he should throw up about 37 reps (i think i read somewhere he benches 450 or so ) and run a low 5 forty. those kinda numbers shot jason smith infront of the other OT's last year.

Except for the ones yelling " why take a OT" I think most of us would enjoy that pick. But I don't think its likely. He's just not going to be there for us.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think if the coaches think Middleton is too small for them at DE he could also fill in at outside linebacker. He might even be better served switching over and learning for a while behind Harrison and Woodley.

I think Middleton is a bit to large and slow to play OLB for the Steelers, but he is a good DE prospect in the later rounds. Most drafts that I have seen show him to be a 6 rounder to FA prospect.
Take a look at Jeffrey Fitzgerald as a possible 6th rounder. He was a first-team all-american freshman who sat out last year after leaving Virginia and transferring to Kansas State,
With Virginia
In 2006 he had: 64 total tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 5 sacks 2 int, 14 QB hurries, 2 fumble recoveries and 1 forced fumble.
In 2007 he had 73 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 2 int, 4 QB hurries, 1 fumble recovery and 2 forced fumbles.
With Kansas State
in 2009 he had: 40 total tackles,10 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 1 interception (returned for TD), 5 QB hurries, and 2 forced fumbles

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Except for the ones yelling " why take a OT" I think most of us would enjoy that pick. But I don't think its likely. He's just not going to be there for us. oh you mean the people who still can't see how inconsistent the oline still is ? or the people who don't realize there's still zero depth at tackle.when you gotta pull your starting right guard from his position and put him at left tackle...YOU NEED A TACKLE !!!...:chuckle:
but anywho...our lil win streak here has probably put most of the quality pics i wanted out of reach... i'll probably be hoping for a trade back into the mid to late 20's and pick up an extra 2nd....unless i develop a man crush during senior week..

Texasteel
12-28-2009, 05:40 AM
oh you mean the people who still can't see how inconsistent the oline still is ? or the people who don't realize there's still zero depth at tackle.when you gotta pull your starting right guard from his position and put him at left tackle...YOU NEED A TACKLE !!!...:chuckle:
but anywho...our lil win streak here has probably put most of the quality pics i wanted out of reach... i'll probably be hoping for a trade back into the mid to late 20's and pick up an extra 2nd....unless i develop a man crush during senior week..

Yea, those would be the guys. How long have we been screaming for a OT, well maybe someday. I like the idea of trading down, we might be able to pick up Spikes, or even my guy Bulage. I've heard that Anthony Daves has declared so that is a possibility too.

Did you watch the USC - BC game? Don't tell Gonzo, but I think he's right about that Tennent kid.

Texasteel
12-28-2009, 05:48 AM
I think Middleton is a bit to large and slow to play OLB for the Steelers, but he is a good DE prospect in the later rounds. Most drafts that I have seen show him to be a 6 rounder to FA prospect.
Take a look at Jeffrey Fitzgerald as a possible 6th rounder. He was a first-team all-american freshman who sat out last year after leaving Virginia and transferring to Kansas State,
With Virginia
In 2006 he had: 64 total tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 5 sacks 2 int, 14 QB hurries, 2 fumble recoveries and 1 forced fumble.
In 2007 he had 73 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 2 int, 4 QB hurries, 1 fumble recovery and 2 forced fumbles.
With Kansas State
in 2009 he had: 40 total tackles,10 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 1 interception (returned for TD), 5 QB hurries, and 2 forced fumbles

Your right, Fitzgerald has been a bit of a forgotten name, but I doubt if he has been forgotten by the scoots. Could be a heck of a pick.

supa_fly_steeler
12-28-2009, 09:04 AM
lol were not going to bench max starks with the money he has attatched to him, sorry to break it to you we dont need o-lineman, there pretty good now, like on sunday ben holds too long.

Steel Glory
12-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Oops

Steel Glory
12-28-2009, 10:39 AM
What are you talking about, pretty good? Max Starks gets more penalties then anyone on the line I can think of and he can't even turn. A 330 lb man burned him by just started outside and cutting it back in. I don't even know why they gave him that much money because he isn't good.

And, I think Ben is forced to hold it longer because of the line. He is running for his life after 2 or 3 seconds of play development and still manages to get the ball to his receivers.

supa_fly_steeler
12-28-2009, 12:35 PM
well he isn't going to be benched lol. too much money for nothing.

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2009, 04:22 PM
lol were not going to bench max starks with the money he has attatched to him, sorry to break it to you we dont need o-lineman, there pretty good now, like on sunday ben holds too long.
pretty good now ? they did play better than they did last year, but to say they're "pretty good" is a bit of a stretch. they had a few good games, but were still very inconsistent overall. do you not realize colon's contract is up this year ? did you not notice when starks got hurt they had to put thier guard at tackle ? i don't know what that tells you, but it tells me they have no backup tackles they want on the field. they could let colon go, draft a tackle and let him get his feet wet on the right side for a year or two...then move him to the left and get rid of starks.

Aussie_steeler
12-29-2009, 12:15 AM

Welcome to the War Room Steel Glory.

Based on your resignings ( keeping Hampton and Reed) your mock is well constructed.

1. OT 2. FS / CB 3. ILB 4a. RB / KR 4b. OLB 5a OG 5b. WR 6. DE 7. TE

The only area that I think could have been addressed was a backup SS.

I like picks 1, 2 and 3 a lot. I think Campbell is gone by our pick but OT is fine by me.
Whether it is Dowling, Allen, Wright, Burnett I like the FS pick in the 2nd. Angerer would be a good replacement in waiting for Farriors retirement.

I really like Ducasse as a prospect and I can only see his stock climb over the next few months.

Thanks for giving me some more late round prospects to watch.

:thumbsup:Look forward to more posts from you in the war room

Steel Glory
12-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Welcome to the War Room Steel Glory.

Based on your resignings ( keeping Hampton and Reed) your mock is well constructed.

1. OT 2. FS / CB 3. ILB 4a. RB / KR 4b. OLB 5a OG 5b. WR 6. DE 7. TE

The only area that I think could have been addressed was a backup SS.

I like picks 1, 2 and 3 a lot. I think Campbell is gone by our pick but OT is fine by me.
Whether it is Dowling, Allen, Wright, Burnett I like the FS pick in the 2nd. Angerer would be a good replacement in waiting for Farriors retirement.

I really like Ducasse as a prospect and I can only see his stock climb over the next few months.

Thanks for giving me some more late round prospects to watch.

:thumbsup:Look forward to more posts from you in the war room

Thanks. I look forward to guesstimating our draft picks. It'll be much clearer who we have a shot at once the season is over and we know who is resigned and what not. But this is how I see it going for now. I also wanted to try and find a NT for grooming but I kind of forgot about that when making this mock. Maybe in another try. :wtf:

Aussie_steeler
12-29-2009, 02:10 AM
Thanks. I look forward to guesstimating our draft picks. It'll be much clearer who we have a shot at once the season is over and we know who is resigned and what not. But this is how I see it going for now. I also wanted to try and find a NT for grooming but I kind of forgot about that when making this mock. Maybe in another try. :wtf:

My advice is to just keep mocking. I already have put a few out there and I am sure that I will live to regret some of them. Stick true to the guys that you truly like and make sure you pimp them all the way. As far as a NT look at of the guys out of Georgia and LSU who are currently projected as Rd 7 -- UDFA. Dont be frightened to put a few UDFA's at the end of your mock.:drink:

taztroy43
12-29-2009, 02:30 AM
All I know is that by the time the steelers pick...all of the good OT will be off the board....and yes their Oline is not good....they are still struggling although not as much as last year but they still are!!! I hope they pick up a decent linemen in either round 2 or lower because they need a good CB or a good Safety in the 1st round to help the Steelers defense from day one!!!!! I agree with you "masterofpuppets" that our line does not have any depth....its funny that the replacement for our LG kemoeatu was a rookie by the name of Ramon Foster who didn't even get drafted!! Now that is kinda sad....where are all the backups that been there for years???....I hope the Steelers find more Ramon Fosters...players like that have the desire to play and the desire to become a better player!!! After all Foster took out all the other backups...that should tell you something about him!!!!

Texasteel
12-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Russell Okung
Bruce Campell
Anthony Davis
Trent Williams
Bryan Bulaga, If he comes out.

And don't count out Fox in the 2nd.

I think if the Steeler do want an OT one of these will most likely be there when we pick, unless we make a great playoff run.

Still don't care much for Starks, but I'm not running the team.

Steel Glory
04-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread back up. Just bare mind that this was made in December of 2009, before the combine or even the Super Bowl.