PDA

View Full Version : Just be what you are ???

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Anybody ever get a chance to listen to ESPN radio between 10am-1pm weekdays..there's a host during that time named collin cowherd....but anyways..he was talking yesterday or the day b/4, about teams in the NFL, just being what they are. With colts, he was like just be what you are.. if ur a team that's gonna throw 50 times a game and win 12 games a year by just outscoring ur opponents, that's ok, just be what you are.

I normally like this guy, he's pretty funny and down to earth, but I was like Collin, WTF !!! Being what you are, especially in the colts case, has gotten them nowhere fast in late january and will continue to do so. Just being what you are isnt gonna add any vince lombardi trophy's to your case... just ask peyton manning, just ask rich gannon a couple years ago. Defense wins championships, and sooner or later ur gonna have to spend some of that cash you keep giving to the offense, on some good defensive players !!

ironcitychef
03-20-2005, 10:29 AM
I think you have to know what your strengths and weaknesses are. Look at our game against the Pats. Being what we are gets us the same. Run on 1st and 2nd against a stacked line then throw long on 3rd. But knowing we can run, we should open up and throw controled routes on 1st, mix it up on 2nd, and do what we do best by picking up more first downs on the ground than anyone. So thats my take on the herd.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Oh I'll agree w/ you that since we live and die by the run, that makes us somewhat predictable, and that combined w/ the stubborness of cowher, can make for some hard times in the post season. There's something to be said for being who you are and not straying from what got you to the playoffs and what has given you success. I'd expect nothing else from us, but to predominately run the ball most times..but being alittle more un conventional on 1st or second down especially is something I wish we'd do more. But the flip side of it is..if you dont complete, convert those different opportunities you are trying to create by throwing on 1st and/or second down, u run the risk of 3rd and long, which isnt our strength by any stretch. However Ben really came thru last year on ALOT of big 3rd down plays all year long, so that would be something to factor in as well.

Mainly I was just referring to the fact that, if you know that you have a GLARING weakness on your team, like the colts entire defense, or the Raiders defense a few years ago, that'd you think you'd address that in the offseason, instead of dumping all your money into your offense, spend alittle more on defense to sure it up.

The Steelers every year, if we have a glaring weakness, we address it..whether it was special teams a few years, ago..we went out and took spencer away from the colts..or on defense, we brought back lebeau...secondary, we went w/ a youth movement w/ the players back there, and brought in Perry to coach them.... etc etc etc. We may be somewhat predictable, no doubt...but we're a pretty well rounded team, on the upside trend now especially w/ Ben at the QB position.

:)

JerseySTEEL
03-20-2005, 11:30 AM
well if the pats were out of the picture they would made th afc champ game and then we owulda had to sick farrior and porter on him hehe.

HinesWard4Life8682
03-20-2005, 11:56 AM
but its not like the steelers are a bad passing team either. they could be a great passing team. Hines ward, one of the best WR's in the NFL. Then you have a great run game to help out ben and then you got randle el and plax (last year)

BlitzburghRockCity
03-20-2005, 02:18 PM
We tried being an all passing team 2 year ago..man that was a disaster.. We broke all kinds of records..except in the W column. Balance is the Key.. Balance.. thats what BC preaches every game every year. We've got a chance more than ever now to be balanced. Just like last year.. we rocked the world all year being balanced, till december & january, when the passing game went into the ground, when Ben hit that wall, and things started to go down hill alittle more. He battled thru it though,and that will help carry him thru this season.

JerseySTEEL
03-23-2005, 06:13 PM
why not teams have done it in the past beign what they are.