PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall dancing like Parker was?

pepsyman1
12-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Is it me or does everyone else see Mendenhall dancing in the backfield like Willie Parker was when he first came back from his injury? There were a few times today that Mendi appeared to have some space around the outside and he just kinda danced along the line instead of turning up and getting some yardage. And of course, Murphy's Law dictates that in the last games that we've seen Willie Parker, he's simply put his head down and accelerated straight ahead as fast he can and gotten good yardage!!! I think these guys huddle up before the game and figure out what they can do to get us aggravated....LOL

Glace
12-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Mendy is still hitting the holes faster and stronger than Parker does.

Parker had some nice runs today when he imitated Mendy for once and blasted into the hole instead of doing his Jerome Bettis stutter-step.

Kanata-Steeler
12-27-2009, 05:13 PM
thats becuae ARIEN"S doesn't know how to call decent run plays -!?

Glace
12-27-2009, 05:15 PM
thats becuae ARIEN"S doesn't know how to call decent run plays -!?

I hate the internet grammar police....but holy crap dude...

Preacher
12-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Mendy is still hitting the holes faster and stronger than Parker does.

Parker had some nice runs today when he imitated Mendy for once and blasted into the hole instead of doing his Jerome Bettis stutter-step.

Stronger, maybe, faster? No way. At least, when there IS a hole.

When the O line opens a hole, Willie explodes through the hole.

I think the problem is, with his speed, there has been times he has gotten to the line before there was a hold opened.

Preacher
12-27-2009, 05:17 PM

http://www.tonystarkz.com/GrammarPolice.gif

Here you go! :chuckle:

Kanata-Steeler
12-27-2009, 05:17 PM
I thought you would understand that the most, having your "Cowher" Avatar Mr. Grammar.

Glace
12-27-2009, 05:19 PM
When I say faster, I mean that he is not stutter-stepping in the backfield before making his run. He is full-speed by the time he hits the line.

I've noticed Willie doing a LOT of stuttering, not only in his few carries this year, but the last couple years. He is not the same running back he was in his younger days when he was like a freaking ping pong ball coming out of the backfield and breaking it to the sideline.

Texasteel
12-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I thought Mendy lost some of the focus he had been showing, but that happens sometimes.. I wouldn't worry about him, he'll be fine next week and ready to take us into the playoffs.

Glace
12-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I thought you would understand that the most, having your "Cowher" Avatar Mr. Grammar.

Do NOT knock the Chin! :sofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 05:23 PM
It was the Ravens defense, he was trying to wait for his blocks to open holes but the penetration was too much early on the play...the kid is good, I've enjoyed watching him get 1000 yards this season, especially in this Pass First offense.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
12-27-2009, 05:36 PM
This is what happens when you dont use the spin move
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d815493ac/WK-16-Jonathan-Stewart-highlights
Steelers were 1 pick away..

Maybe that is what happens when you have a good blocking fullback leading the way...lol

Glace
12-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Nevermind that was Felix Jones 1 pick ahead of Mendenhall. But come Playoff time if the Steelers make it Tomlin should really go with Parker the more experienced back. Couple of plays today where it showed Ngata sack . Drop in the endzone , and the fumble. Steven Jackson had the same spinmove problem in his early years but now hes a top yards from scrimmage player.

Sorry, but you don't take our leading RB out to start a back with more "experience".

I remember Fast Willie having a few horrible fumbles too.

Mendy is the best RB on this team. Case Closed.

His fumble today was something that's becoming incredibly rare given the amount of carries he's had this year. He's becoming very reliable and very sure-handed.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 05:55 PM
well at least no one is calling for Moore to get the starting job.

SteelCityMom
12-27-2009, 06:00 PM
If your satisfied with 17 att 36 yds 2.1 avg. Not that it matters with all the 5 Wr sets

I don't know...when was the last time Parker, Mendenhall or Moore had a good game against the Ravens defense?

The Steelers always have to beat the Ravens through the air...just how it is.

Glace
12-27-2009, 06:00 PM
If your satisfied with 17 att 36 yds 2.1 avg. Not that it matters with all the 5 Wr sets

You wouldn't have seen any better with Parker tonight either

Steel Mountain
12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Pepsyman has three thread starters on page one and each one is either blatant criticism or a backhanded slap at our team! Hey, I wish we played better too, but I still back this team with all my heart (have so since 1972!) and hate listening to this shit after two straight wins against playoff contenders. Pep, you need a nice big steaming hot cup of STFU!

Rick5895
12-27-2009, 06:42 PM
You wouldn't have seen any better with Parker tonight either
Well Parker had 2 carries today for 17 yards, so i would say that was better. Mendy is a great player and will be in the future for us , but IMO his head wasn't in the game today, a dropped TD pass in the 1st Q, and that fumble, IMO should have had him some time on the bench. I would have liked to see Parker with a few more caries today.

pepsyman1
12-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Pepsyman has three thread starters on page one and each one is either blatant criticism or a backhanded slap at our team! Hey, I wish we played better too, but I still back this team with all my heart (have so since 1972!) and hate listening to this shit after two straight wins against playoff contenders. Pep, you need a nice big steaming hot cup of STFU!

Hey Steel...this is a place to express opinions...if you don't like my threads, don't read them. I'm a huge Steeler fan and have been for 35 years. If I want to debate and talk about problems my team is having after winning the superbowl and not showing up the next year to defend it, I'm well within my right as a fan.

and the point of this thread was simply to see if anyone else had seen what I saw in Mendi's performance today in comparison to FWP the last couple of years....period

Steel Mountain
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey Steel...this is a place to express opinions...if you don't like my threads, don't read them. I'm a huge Steeler fan and have been for 35 years. If I want to debate and talk about problems my team is having after winning the superbowl and not showing up the next year to defend it, I'm well within my right as a fan.

and the point of this thread was simply to see if anyone else had seen what I saw in Mendi's performance today in comparison to FWP the last couple of years....period
And I am well within my right to state that you are a fair weather fan. Prove me wrong by starting ONE post bragging about how good our guys played today...and last week....and the first half of the season.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Ok, here we go...

Parker Career Stats vs the Ravens:

2005 game 1 = 14 carries 63 yards
2005 game 2 = 18 carries 59 yards
2006 game 1 = 10 carries 22 yards
2006 game 2 = 13 carries 29 yards
2007 game 1 = 23 carries 42 yards
2007 game 2 = Did Not Play
2008 game 1 = Did Not Play
2008 game 2 = 14 carries 47 yards
2009 game 1 = 5 carries 14 yards
2009 game 2 = 2 carries 17 yards

Mendenhall career vs Ravens
2008 game 1 = 9 carries 30 yards
2008 game 2 = Did Not Play
2009 game 1 = 24 carries 95 yards
2009 game 2 = 17 carries 36 yards

explain to me how Willie Parker is better than Rashad Mendenhall against the Ravens...

and don't just blow off the stats...It took me while to look all those up and type them up...thanks

SMR
12-27-2009, 09:59 PM
And I am well within my right to state that you are a fair weather fan. Prove me wrong by starting ONE post bragging about how good our guys played today...and last week....and the first half of the season.

I agree with you man. I am STILL waiting for Pep to do a positive thread............................................ .....

pepsyman1
12-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree with you man. I am STILL waiting for Pep to do a positive thread............................................ .....

Ummm.....like these?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39881

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=44919

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=41382

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=40121

We talk about what's happening good or bad. I'm surely not a fair weather fan, I suffered through the tough times of the 80's and early 90's. Been to more than my share of games..(which is a 5-6 hour drive for me from New Jersey) We post about what's pertinent....if the team is playing bad we talk about why...if they play well we talk about why. If they play well and loose we get upset, if we play poor but luck out a win we laugh our ass off. If you guys are incredibly thrilled when our team plays significantly below expectations and don't want to look at why...that's on you. I talk about what's happening. I've started about a dozen threads all season...some of them positive, some of them negative..some of them neither, just starting conversation.

And again....this post was just a question about Mendenhall and how he was running...you know, the guy who averaged a little over 2 yards per carry today.

Oh...and Dino I am especially NOT blowing off the research you did....again, I was just asking everyone's opinion on how it appeared Mendi was running today and that it reminded me of FWP when he came back from injury.

markymarc
12-28-2009, 11:17 AM
We just need to face reality in that no matter who lines up at RB, our offense is not going to run against the Ravens defense. The only problem I had with Mendenhall yesterday was his dropped pass that would have went in for a TD.

pepsyman1
12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
We just need to face reality in that no matter who lines up at RB, our offense is not going to run against the Ravens defense. The only problem I had with Mendenhall yesterday was his dropped pass that would have went in for a TD.

that was as bad as the dropped pass against Cleveland....we just can't afford those kinds of mistakes.

markymarc
12-28-2009, 01:18 PM
that was as bad as the dropped pass against Cleveland....we just can't afford those kinds of mistakes.

It was a bad drop, but it would have been nice to see Rashard get a few more attempts in the passing game.

GodofGridiron
12-28-2009, 07:51 PM
It was a bad drop, but it would have been nice to see Rashard get a few more attempts in the passing game.

I agree. Mendy is usually open in the flat when he swings outside. Ben just focuses downfield 20-25 yrds from some reason. Im startin to think Ben is "farsighted". My thing is, keep the chains movin even with a swing pass now and then its gonna get positive yardage, its better than an incompletion and definitely a sack.

SteelerFanInStl
12-28-2009, 08:09 PM
You'd dance too if you got hit in the backfield as much as he has. The reality is that there just wasn't anywhere to run.

tony hipchest
12-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Stronger, maybe, faster? No way. At least, when there IS a hole.

When the O line opens a hole, Willie explodes through the hole.

I think the problem is, with his speed, there has been times he has gotten to the line before there was a hold opened.

http://www.tonystarkz.com/GrammarPolice.gif

Here you go! :chuckle:

:chuckle:

....these are 2 great posts in succession. :applaudit:

i have no problems with mendenhalls spin move, any supposed dancing, nor his 2 lost fumbles for the season.

frankly i could care less about his "suddenness and glide". :rolleyes:

at this point of the season, i think he is the least of our concerns.

Preacher
12-28-2009, 08:31 PM
:chuckle:

....these are 2 great posts in succession. :applaudit:

i have no problems with mendenhalls spin move, any supposed dancing, nor his 2 lost fumbles for the season.

frankly i could care less about his "suddenness and glide". :rolleyes:

at this point of the season, i think he is the least of our concerns.

:rofl:

Suddenness and glide!

You're right. On the offense, right now our RB's are not the worry. I am a little big more worried about our receivers (injury to Ward), and a lot more worried about our overall ability to beat the fish and having to depend on the Pats* and then Cincy or Oakland to get us into the playoffs.

markymarc
12-29-2009, 10:59 AM
a lot more worried about our overall ability to beat the fish and having to depend on the Pats* and then Cincy or Oakland to get us into the playoffs.

Right now that should be our only concern. It's going to be a very long Sunday if the Steelers and Patriots take care of business and then having to wait until about 11:30 to see if we are playoff bound or not.