PDA

View Full Version : Ravens fans maturing

ETL
12-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Schadenfraude made me go peruse some Raven's messageboards. I was expecting gripes about the refs and the NFL trying to protect the Steelers, etc...

But to my surprise, most fans were looking inward and not outward. They griped about stupid penalties, such as the personal foul on Cousins (their guard) and the pass interference penalties on Frank Walker. There were complaints about Harbaugh and how undisciplined his players were. They lamented that even if they make the playoffs, they will likely bow out weakly as they are not confident in their team.

Well, that killed my enjoyment.

stlrtruck
12-28-2009, 09:31 AM
You must have been on the wrong message boards :chuckle:

kittenfantastico76
12-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Schadenfraude made me go peruse some Raven's messageboards. I was expecting gripes about the refs and the NFL trying to protect the Steelers, etc...

But to my surprise, most fans were looking inward and not outward. They griped about stupid penalties, such as the personal foul on Cousins (their guard) and the pass interference penalties on Frank Walker. There were complaints about Harbaugh and how undisciplined his players were. They lamented that even if they make the playoffs, they will likely bow out weakly as they are not confident in their team.

Well, that killed my enjoyment.

I noticed this with most of my friends from back home (Maryland girl, born and raised)... but with all the more mature fans I still noticed quite a few of them crying about the officials being on the Steelers side etc. I think one of the main reasons they are taking this in stride is that so far they are still in the wild card running and we're still "in the hunt"... unlike last year. Only time will tell! :tt:

I really, really, REALLY wish I would have been able to watch this game. (I was stuck with the Falcons and Saints games to watch, no Steelers for the MD girl in Alabama).

Larry
12-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I've heard Steelers fans gripe about the refs after a close game too. I GUARANTEE that the overwhelming majority of Ravens fans blame the coach, the players, and lack of discipline. Why the hell do we keep talking about this BS? Can't we just talk about football instead of spewing self-satisfying garbage all the time?

Gnutella
12-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Blaming the refs is for LOSERS, and it doesn't matter if it's other fans claiming that we have them in our back pockets, or some of us whining about a penalty or two that rubbed us the wrong way. It's STUPID, it's POINTLESS, and it's a total WASTE OF ENERGY.

Burghfan58
12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
I didn't see one replay that would suggest that any of their penalties wasn't justified.

steelwalls
12-28-2009, 07:16 PM
I seen plenty of conspiracy remarks. If a penalty is questionable I could see bringing it up (personally wouldnt) but at least then you wouldnt look as pathetic. I think the ones with an ounce of sense have gone back and looked at them and seen they were all very obvious, and pretty much all of them happened right there in front of an offical or right around the ball giving allmost perfect camera angles.

Preacher
12-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Blaming the refs is for LOSERS, and it doesn't matter if it's other fans claiming that we have them in our back pockets, or some of us whining about a penalty or two that rubbed us the wrong way. It's STUPID, it's POINTLESS, and it's a total WASTE OF ENERGY.

You obviously don't hang around here often after a loss :rofl:

Crow-Magnon
12-29-2009, 09:56 AM
I still feel that the holding penalty called on Washington was a little iffy, but the others were not. Especially the two PF calls. No excuses there. None. Sheer idiocy on the part of Ngata and Cousins. It looked like there may have been a bit of taunting going on that set Cousins off, but so what? Don't be an A-hole and get goaded into a PF. That cost the Ravens a chance at a FG and tying the game.

Whatta dingus.

SteelerFanInStl
12-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Ngata deserves a hefty fine for that very late, blindside hit that he made.

Crow-Magnon
12-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Ngata deserves a hefty fine for that very late, blindside hit that he made.

I hope Harbaugh adds about $25K to whatever the NFL levies.

Bluedust
12-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Now if only the Capitals and Bengals fans would mature, who am I kidding.

stlrtruck
12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Now if only the Capitals and Bengals fans would mature, who am I kidding.

But we can always dream :chuckle:

Gnutella
12-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Who gives a sh*t about the Capitals? We own them.

JEFF4i
12-30-2009, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I haven't seen too much. Each penalty was justified, to be honest.

And let's not forget the mis-spotting of the ball in our first match-up with the Ravens at the end of regulation. Penalties are what they are, sometimes they are called, usually they are right, and it's just something that can't be controlled.

Bluedust
12-30-2009, 04:16 AM
Who gives a sh*t about the Capitals? We own them.

I don't.
It's very amusing how much their fans blame the refs everytime we play them.

MasterOfPuppets
12-30-2009, 04:59 AM
I've heard Steelers fans gripe about the refs after a close game too. I GUARANTEE that the overwhelming majority of Ravens fans blame the coach, the players, and lack of discipline. Why the hell do we keep talking about this BS? Can't we just talk about football instead of spewing self-satisfying garbage all the time?

is somebody forcing you to participate in this thread ? if you don't wanna discuss it, then get the hell out of the thread.....:wave:

Preacher
12-30-2009, 05:26 AM
I still feel that the holding penalty called on Washington was a little iffy, but the others were not. Especially the two PF calls. No excuses there. None. Sheer idiocy on the part of Ngata and Cousins. It looked like there may have been a bit of taunting going on that set Cousins off, but so what? Don't be an A-hole and get goaded into a PF. That cost the Ravens a chance at a FG and tying the game.

Whatta dingus.

Thing is, if a call is iffy, it means its a gray area... which means the refs absolutely have a right to call it.

But I think you kinda meant that.

What gets me is how often this board yells and screams about refs screwing the Steelers out of a call, as if they have it in for the Steelers.. then turn around and laugh at all the other teams fans when they do it.

Crow-Magnon
12-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Thing is, if a call is iffy, it means its a gray area... which means the refs absolutely have a right to call it.

What gets me is how often this board yells and screams about refs screwing the Steelers out of a call, as if they have it in for the Steelers.. then turn around and laugh at all the other teams fans when they do it.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Of course, that was picked up during the replay. Being an official and trying to make that call in real-time is a lot different. Truth is, most of us would blow calls big time if we wore striped shirts and blew whistles.

bobby jr
12-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Admittedly, I am a Ravens fan and it is hard to be objective. However based upon the evidence I think the Ravens deserve to make the playoffs more than any of the other five teams in the running for the wild card. Here is why.

The Ravens have outscored their opposition this year by a whopping 122 points. This is far more than the other teams in the race for the wild card. The Jets are 75 points ahead of the opposition, the Steelers 38 points ahead, Houston 48 points ahead, Denver 22 points.

The Ravens have had extremely bad luck in losing almost every close game they have had this year. They did beat the Steelers in a close game in Baltimore, but followed that up with a 3 point loss in Pittsburgh.
The Ravens have a powerful team, and based on their points scored VS given up, they should have won 11 or 12 games this year. They are among the best teams in the league in the points scored VS given up ratio.

I have said I think the Steelers were given a raw deal this year by the Colts laying down against the Jets.. That severely hurt the Steelers playoff chances and was not right. But looking at the whole picture, the Steelers have had an easier schedule than the Ravens, and the Ravens have had several blowouts, which shows their power.

Last year was the Steelers year. They beat the Ravens 3 times, even though all the games were close, the Steelers did what they had to do, they were the better team, although not by much.

This year, different story. Baltimore deserves the playoffs, where they will be, if they take care of business against Oakland. next Sunday.

steelerchad
12-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Admittedly, I am a Ravens fan and it is hard to be objective. However based upon the evidence I think the Ravens deserve to make the playoffs more than any of the other five teams in the running for the wild card. Here is why.

The Ravens have outscored their opposition this year by a whopping 122 points. This is far more than the other teams in the race for the wild card. The Jets are 75 points ahead of the opposition, the Steelers 38 points ahead, Houston 48 points ahead, Denver 22 points.

The Ravens have had extremely bad luck in losing almost every close game they have had this year. They did beat the Steelers in a close game in Baltimore, but followed that up with a 3 point loss in Pittsburgh.
The Ravens have a powerful team, and based on their points scored VS given up, they should have won 11 or 12 games this year. They are among the best teams in the league in the points scored VS given up ratio.

I have said I think the Steelers were given a raw deal this year by the Colts laying down against the Jets.. That severely hurt the Steelers playoff chances and was not right. But looking at the whole picture, the Steelers have had an easier schedule than the Ravens, and the Ravens have had several blowouts, which shows their power.

Last year was the Steelers year. They beat the Ravens 3 times, even though all the games were close, the Steelers did what they had to do, they were the better team, although not by much.

This year, different story. Baltimore deserves the playoffs, where they will be, if they take care of business against Oakland. next Sunday.

Yea, the Steelers have had a really strange year and with our best defender on the sidelines aren't very scary. Troy is suppossed to be back this week and with him I would consider the Steelers more dangerous than any of the other teams in the playoffs.

I was at all 3 of the Ravens vs. Steelers games last year and I would consider the AFC championship game a little one sided even though it was close at the end. I thought that game was a pretty dominant effort by the Steelers.
Unfortunately, I think the Jets may be the weakest of the contenders and have been given a 2 game gift here at the end.
I said mid October I thought the AFC north would get 3 teams in and I hope it works out that way although not likely. I do think both Pittsburgh and Baltimore would be more dangerous opponents for the division winners in the playoffs than the others.

Larry
12-30-2009, 03:18 PM

THANK YOU!

Larry
12-30-2009, 03:19 PM
is somebody forcing you to participate in this thread ? if you don't wanna discuss it, then get the hell out of the thread.....:wave:

See above nitwit. If you don't wanna discuss what I'm discussing, don't respond to me or just get the hell out yourself.

:wave:

stlrtruck
12-30-2009, 05:02 PM
However based upon the evidence I think the Ravens deserve to make the playoffs more than any of the other five teams in the running for the wild card.

The problem with deserves is every team remaining, at least their fans, could tell you why they deserve to be in the playoffs.

Everyone deserves to be in the playoffs, but the ones that get there are THE ONES THAT EARN IT!

If the ratbirds win, they earned their trip
If they don't win and other things happened then they earned a trip to the golf course just like the other 25 teams not in the playoffs this year!

MasterOfPuppets
12-30-2009, 06:19 PM
here's a gem from a ravens fan....

Considering that the refs GAVE the Stellers wins over the Ravens and Packers, keeping them from being 6-9 at this point, they've got nothing to cry about.

here's one thing the idiots don't take into consideration....

most penalized teams in the NFL...
1 packers
2 ravens

i guess they got all those penelties in the other games to benefit the steelers ....:popcorn:

here's an article from BEFORE the steelers game....

Flags threaten Ravens' playoff hopes: Ravens are second most penalized team in NFL; they had 12 infractions in Lambeau loss

The Ravens and Packers combined for 310 penalty yards, tied for the second-most in NFL history. Only the Packers have more penalties and penalty yards than the Ravens (90 penalties for 868 yards) this season.

Such mistakes could hurt the Ravens again if they continue through the final quarter of the season against the Detroit Lions (2-10), Chicago Bears (5-7), Pittsburgh Steelers (6-6) and Oakland Raiders (4-8).

The five most penalized teams in the NFL:

Team Penalties Yards

Green Bay 98 905

Ravens 90 868

Philadelphia 90 721

Dallas 88 674

Cincinnati 81 643
http://dailyme.com/story/2009120900006978/flags-threaten-ravens-playoff-hopes-ravens.html

steel striker
12-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Usually people complain about the refs when there team loses. Just about all of the penalties called against the ravens were penalties none the less. Mason dropping the ball cost you that game.