PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs... Doesnt look good

gigispeed1332
12-27-2009, 07:09 PM
We will need to win and have 2 of these 3 go our way

1) hou loss to NE
2) Jets loss to Cincy
3) Baltimore loss @ oak

Doesnt look good. I dont know if any of those are very likely since New England and Cincy have nothing to play for.

stillers4me
12-27-2009, 07:10 PM
please read multitude of playoff scenario threads.

Welcome to SF.

gigispeed1332
12-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Trust me I just went through them all, what I have said is the easy way to understand what needs to be done.

Nadroj 20
12-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Trust me I just went through them all, what I have said is the easy way to understand what needs to be done.

welcome to SF i think we can make it, im hopin anyway

Preacher
12-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Not quite.

We MUST have Houston lose, or we are out.

Then we need one of the other two to happen.

Of those, If Cincy does not defeat the Jets, there is a very good chance they meet the Jets again the very next week. So there is definite reason to play the Jets strong.

If the Pats win, then they play us in the first round (unless the Ravens lose). You can bet Brady and comp. are licking their chops to get after our horrid defense.

gigispeed1332
12-27-2009, 07:13 PM
If houston wins but Baltimore loses @ Oakland and Jets lose to cincy we are in with houston being #5 and us #6

gigispeed1332
12-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Sorry that is with a Denver loss to KC as well, if Denver were to win Denver would be in with Houston, uggg, thats frustrating.

FacemeIke
12-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Huh? why does it matter what Baltimore does? My understanding is we win, Jets and houston lose and we are #6. How is that not correct?

EDIT: Haha never mind "2 of 3". Need to work on my reading comprehension skills i guess

gigispeed1332
12-27-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm still trying to work things out on this god damn yahoo thing... ugggg. I reallly hope we get a miracle next week but i have a feeling pats and bengals wont even try to win.

7willBheaven
12-27-2009, 07:35 PM
IT doesnt matter what happens with Denver next week...if they win against KC and are 9-7 WE have the head to head over them since we beat them earlier one. Thats why Denver HAD to loose tonight, since they did we dont need to worry about them anymore.

But the other stuff you said is true, 2 of the 3 have to loose..out of Balt, NYJ, and Hou....and if NE/CIN actually play and not rest their guys, they SHOULD win...but if they rest their stars then who knows. Would of been sooo much better if Indy played their guys today (yeah the Dolphins could of won too but still).

Atranox
12-27-2009, 07:36 PM
It looks pretty bleak now, but who knows.

HometownGal
12-27-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not worried what the other teams do at this point. We MUST win against the Fins next week, no ifs, ands or buts or our season is ended no matter what any of the other teams do.

Welcome to SF! :wave: :drink: :tt02:

mikegrimey
12-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Come on guys, Broncos losing or winning doesn't matter anymore. We beat them head to head, which takes precedence over any other tie breaker.

The original poster is right. Assuming we win, we need 2 out of 3 to lose: HOU, NYJ, BAL.

X-Terminator
12-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Come on guys, Broncos losing or winning doesn't matter anymore. We beat them head to head, which takes precedence over any other tie breaker.

The original poster is right. Assuming we win, we need 2 out of 3 to lose: HOU, NYJ, BAL.

Not when there are 3 or more teams competing for the spot, then conference record and common opponents come into play. If Houston wins and the Broncos win, the head-to-head gets thrown out since the Steelers did not play Houston this season. That's why they have to lose - if both teams win, the Steelers are out. I thought the same way you did until another member corrected me.

steelerchad
12-27-2009, 07:55 PM
IT doesnt matter what happens with Denver next week...if they win against KC and are 9-7 WE have the head to head over them since we beat them earlier one. Thats why Denver HAD to loose tonight, since they did we dont need to worry about them anymore.

But the other stuff you said is true, 2 of the 3 have to loose..out of Balt, NYJ, and Hou....and if NE/CIN actually play and not rest their guys, they SHOULD win...but if they rest their stars then who knows. Would of been sooo much better if Indy played their guys today (yeah the Dolphins could of won too but still).

Not really. Denver is still in over us in some scenarios. Basically any 3 or 4 way tie win the Broncos, us and a 3rd or 4th team and we're screwed. A 4 way tie between the Ravens, Broncos, Texans, and us puts the Ravens and Broncos in. Add the Jets to the mix and they're in over us as well.

SteveS
12-27-2009, 08:04 PM
>>>Not really. Denver is still in over us in some scenarios. Basically any 3 or 4 way tie win the Broncos, us and a 3rd or 4th team and we're screwed. A 4 way tie between the Ravens, Broncos, Texans, and us puts the Ravens and Broncos in. Add the Jets to the mix and they're in over us as well. <<<

I am fine with that, as the official NFL tie breaker rules are what they are. But I would still like to see a full and final scenerio.

Everyone keeps saying in here that if the Jets and Texans lose and we win, then we are in, but it doesn't sound like it anymore. It also sounds like we may have to root against the Broncos one more time and maybe even a few other games given that we are SOL in case of any 3 or more way ties for a spot. But who knows. I have yet to see a definitive answer.

Anyone know when the NFL will release the official scenerios? Then there will be no more confusion and I can rest easy knowing exactly what needs to happen for us to get in.

:tt02:

mikegrimey
12-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Man what a rip.

Who knew things got so convuluted in a 3 way tie haha.

TackleMeBen
12-27-2009, 08:09 PM
this is giving me a headache..lol..

steel striker
12-27-2009, 08:10 PM
It's goona take a little miracle for us to get in now.

GoSlash27
12-27-2009, 08:12 PM
We will need to win and have 2 of these 3 go our way

1) hou loss to NE
2) Jets loss to Cincy
3) Baltimore loss @ oak

Doesnt look good. I dont know if any of those are very likely since New England and Cincy have nothing to play for.

Looks a darn sight better than it did yesterday! :wave:
We *needed* New England to beat Jacksonville and Philly to beat Denver to get us this far.
The door is wide open now.

TackleMeBen
12-27-2009, 08:15 PM
it would have been better if the colts would have beat the jets today

SteelerEmpire
12-27-2009, 08:20 PM
They just updated the playoff picture on NFL.com..... looks like we need at least 3 of 4 teams to lose IN ADDITION to if we win over the Dolphins.... LINK: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

Sharkissle29
12-27-2009, 08:22 PM
some games today didnt work out for us

im not expecting playoffs even with a win, still hoping tho...

pepsyman1
12-27-2009, 08:28 PM
They just updated the playoff picture on NFL.com..... looks like we need at least 3 of 4 teams to lose IN ADDITION to if we win over the Dolphins.... LINK: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

We need help, but we don't need 3 or 4 teams to lose, we need two teams (NYJ and Houston( to lose to the Pats and Cincy...plus we have to beat Miami. That would create a 3 way tie with Baltimore and Denver. (assuming they can beat Oakland and KC..lol) A 3 way tie with those teams puts Baltimore as the #5 seed and Pittsburgh #6

GoSlash27
12-27-2009, 08:30 PM
They just updated the playoff picture on NFL.com..... looks like we need at least 3 of 4 teams to lose IN ADDITION to if we win over the Dolphins....
Not so.
We need 2 teams to lose to better teams. That is a vast improvement over needing 4 teams to lose to better teams, which was the situation at noon.

I can see we've got some glass-half-empty types in attendance. Need I remind you how the playoff picture looked 2 weeks ago?

HughC
12-27-2009, 08:30 PM
>>>Not really. Denver is still in over us in some scenarios. Basically any 3 or 4 way tie win the Broncos, us and a 3rd or 4th team and we're screwed. A 4 way tie between the Ravens, Broncos, Texans, and us puts the Ravens and Broncos in. Add the Jets to the mix and they're in over us as well. <<<

I am fine with that, as the official NFL tie breaker rules are what they are. But I would still like to see a full and final scenerio.

Everyone keeps saying in here that if the Jets and Texans lose and we win, then we are in, but it doesn't sound like it anymore. It also sounds like we may have to root against the Broncos one more time and maybe even a few other games given that we are SOL in case of any 3 or more way ties for a spot. But who knows. I have yet to see a definitive answer.

Anyone know when the NFL will release the official scenerios? Then there will be no more confusion and I can rest easy knowing exactly what needs to happen for us to get in.

:tt02:
I've found the section on the CBS Sports site to be the best with playoff and tiebreaker scenarios, but it probably won't get updated till tomorrow. I think it's more reliable than the Yahoo playoff generator. Not sure how much effort the NFL puts in to playoff scenarios on nfl.com.

You're correct with Denver, that's something a lot of people tend to overlook. In a 2-way tiebreaker the Steelers win, but that most likely gets thrown out with a 3 (or more) team tiebreaker.

Also keep in mind with tiebreakers that the first thing they do is get it down to just one team from each division. In other words, they would use division tiebreakers to advance / eliminate either the Ravens or Steelers first (assuming they have the same record), and then that team would go into a tiebreaker with whatever other teams are 9-7 for the 5th seed. Then, they do the same tiebreaking procedure for the 6th seed.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be really strange around here next week with people having to root for New England to beat Houston.

Steel Warrior
12-27-2009, 08:33 PM
The Jets beating Indy basically put a dager in our hearts, we're done, Cincy won't beat them next weekend. Oh well, that's what happens when you lose to crap teams during the year. We need to get a safety in the draft or trade for one or pay big bucks for one, desigining a D with Troy is stupid as he's never gonna be there, he's starting to remind me of the guy that drank pickle juice.

SteveS
12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Ok, I think the confusion here seems to be whether the tie-breaker between three teams is an elimination tie breaker (meaning that the one team that wins the tie breaker over the other two gets the spot and then the tie-breaker between the remaining two teams then goes back to the one on one tie-breaker rule)....or if a three way tie-breaker is simply determined by the whichever the two top teams of the three are given the statistic that they are comparing(being strength of victories, record vs. common opponenets etc.)

If it is the later, then we are screwed, if it is former then we have a decent shot at it.

Preacher
12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I've found the section on the CBS Sports site to be the best with playoff and tiebreaker scenarios, but it probably won't get updated till tomorrow. I think it's more reliable than the Yahoo playoff generator. Not sure how much effort the NFL puts in to playoff scenarios on nfl.com.

You're correct with Denver, that's something a lot of people tend to overlook. In a 2-way tiebreaker the Steelers win, but that most likely gets thrown out with a 3 (or more) team tiebreaker.

Also keep in mind with tiebreakers that the first thing they do is get it down to just one team from each division. In other words, they would use division tiebreakers to advance / eliminate either the Ravens or Steelers first (assuming they have the same record), and then that team would go into a tiebreaker with whatever other teams are 9-7 for the 5th seed. Then, they do the same tiebreaking procedure for the 6th seed.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be really strange around here next week with people having to root for New England to beat Houston.

That is true, EXCEPT....

We are talking about the 5th seed. Since all three teams are 9-7 at that point. So, the Steelers lose to the Ravens, and the Ravens have the tiebreaker to the Broncos.

That then means the Broncos and Steelers are head to head for the 6th seed. However, the Steelers hold the tiebreaker over the Broncos for that seed.

That is how, in a three way tie, the Broncos lose out.

BUT you got one thing right... It will be STRANGE rooting for the Pats* AND Bengals next week! {ick}

pepsyman1
12-27-2009, 08:40 PM
That is true, EXCEPT....

We are talking about the 5th seed. Since all three teams are 9-7 at that point. So, the Steelers lose to the Ravens, and the Ravens have the tiebreaker to the Broncos.

That then means the Broncos and Steelers are head to head for the 6th seed. However, the Steelers hold the tiebreaker over the Broncos for that seed.

THANK YOU Preach....I keep trying to explain it to people but no one believes me...lol There are a couple of very bizarre, almost impossible scenarios that would allow us to make the playoffs, but the 3 way tie with the Ravens and Broncos is the most realistic one (and one that we get in!!! ) This link is the one to check...it lets you play with scenarios

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=WinningPct

HughC
12-27-2009, 08:46 PM
That is true, EXCEPT....

BUT you got one thing right... It will be STRANGE rooting for the Pats* AND Bengals next week! {ick}
Yeah, you're right. I was getting ahead of myself and thinking of a situation where first Baltimore gets the tiebreaker for #5, and then there are still at least three other 9-7 teams involved for the #6 slot - in other words, the Steelers, Broncos, and one (or even two) other teams still tied. Having the head-to-head tiebreaker with Denver is great, but that only works if it's a two-way tie for one of the playoff seeds.

SteveS
12-27-2009, 08:47 PM
What are the other scenerios?

sharkweek
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Not so.
We need 2 teams to lose to better teams. That is a vast improvement over needing 4 teams to lose to better teams, which was the situation at noon.

I can see we've got some glass-half-empty types in attendance. Need I remind you how the playoff picture looked 2 weeks ago?

The problem is that the teams ahead of us have a favorable schedule in the sense that there is little incentive for their otherwise apparently superior opponents to try because they're pretty much locked in to their playoff spots.

Indy was a perfect example today. A week or two ago they would have curb stomped the Jets to secure their #1 seed, but today they just shut down with the false logic that coaching staff has been clinging to since forever (a strategy that didn't quite work when we strolled in to town as the #6 seed after Indy had taken the better part of a month off). Had Indy actually kept their starters in, the Jets should have lost that game. The same scenario will likely play out next week when the Jets host the Bengals because the Bengals don't even have a bye so what do they have to play for? Trying to avoid playing the Jets in back to back weeks by hosting them in the playoffs? I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Houston vs. Miami was another heart breaker. Down 27-0 I thought Miami was done for but the final score was 27-20. That was the perfect game because had Miami won, we get to play them next week so that would have essentially been two birds with one stone. Now Houston gets to host New England in yet another game that means extremely little to New England vs. treating it as a bye to rest up key players, again the best hope for us is that perhaps they try to prevent playing the same team back to back.

While 2 of 4 teams we needed to lose did in fact lose, the glass is less than half full because the best chance to get 4 of those teams losses came and went with this week.

I hope to god the Pats don't change their ways and try to go into the playoffs hot, and I also hope the Bengals try to follow suit, with extra incentive to try and avoid replaying the Jets (although I don't think very highly of the Jets, I think they're clearly the worst 8-7 team in the AFC and wouldn't put it past a crafty team to intentionally lose to them on the road to get another shot at them again at home)

SteveS
12-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Ok, so as it turns out, it doesn't matter what Denver does so as long as the Jets and Texans lose? In that case, I think we can still get in in!!!!

HughC
12-27-2009, 08:49 PM
What are the other scenerios?
Off the top of my head, if the Ravens, Jets, Texans and Broncos all lose is one.

eden
12-27-2009, 08:52 PM
The Jets beating Indy basically put a dager in our hearts, we're done, Cincy won't beat them next weekend. Oh well, that's what happens when you lose to crap teams during the year. We need to get a safety in the draft or trade for one or pay big bucks for one, desigining a D with Troy is stupid as he's never gonna be there, he's starting to remind me of the guy that drank pickle juice.

ur screwed up he is the best safety ever i would take having him in 8 games over any other in 16 mods need to get rid of u :mad:

Preacher
12-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Ok, so as it turns out, it doesn't matter what Denver does so as long as the Jets and Texans lose? In that case, I think we can still get in in!!!!

Yep. That is the point of all this.

Texans MUST LOSE. Jets OR Ravens must lose.

It really is that easy.

SteveS
12-27-2009, 08:56 PM
There was 4 games besides ours that we were paying attention to today. I still think the two we HAD to get to keep our hopes realistic, went our way.

Had Denver beaten the Eagles, then we would have had to be rooting for the Chiefs over the Broncos next weekend. Had the Pats not beaten the Jags, then we would had to hope that the Browns beat them next Sunday. Not likely for either. The fact that the Jets and Texans won today were not as devistating as the other two would have been, because those two teams still play good teams next week, even though the meaningfullness of their games may be in question right now. I still think you will see the Pats and Bungholes plays their starters. I think what happened to the Colts today was a good lesson for every team out there...

GoSlash27
12-27-2009, 08:57 PM
'Zackly.
Of course, sharkweek may well have a point; the Patsies or the Bungles might not necessarily show up. Heck, one of them might even catch wise and actually decide to play as weak as possible just to insure that a resurgent Steelers with Troy back in the lineup doesn't wreck them in the playoffs...

But heck, you pays your money and you takes your chances, right? First order of business is to "unleash Hell" on the Dolphins.

GoSlash27
12-27-2009, 08:59 PM
There was 4 games besides ours that we were paying attention to today. I still think the two we HAD to get to keep our hopes realistic, went our way.

Had Denver beaten the Eagles, then we would have had to be rooting for the Chiefs over the Broncos next weekend. Had the Pats not beaten the Jags, then we would had to hope that the Browns beat them next Sunday. Not likely for either. The fact that the Jets and Texans won today were not as devistating as the other two would have been, because those two teams still play good teams next week, even though the meaningfullness of their games may be in question right now. I still think you will see the Pats and Bungholes plays their starters. I think what happened to the Colts today was a good lesson for every team out there...

Also 'zackly. we had 4 games that could help us, but only two of them were critical this week. We got what we needed.

Mags87
12-27-2009, 09:05 PM
just found out that Cincy game is Sunday night. so. if the pats win, cincy has 0 to play for, and we want NE to win...NBC is screwing us :banging: go Raiders!

HughC
12-27-2009, 09:05 PM
One thing with the 'playing the same team back-to-back' scenarios - i.e., Bengals-Jets and Patriots-Texans: the two division winners can sit their key players and have a vanilla game plan while the two teams on the bubble will be forced to game plan and do whatever they can to win. Then the coaching staffs of those division winners will have a better idea of what adjustments they need to make, how to scheme to exploit their weaknesses, etc. - while showing those opponents absolutely nothing that those wildcard teams can prepare for.

In other words, I don't think it will hurt the Bengals or Patriots to have to play the same team twice in a row; in fact, it could make it easier for them to prepare for a playoff game against the Jets or Texans. They may not mind replaying a team back-to-back, even if they did lose to them the previous week.

mikegrimey
12-27-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm telling you NE and CIN should be playing to win. That #3 seed is at stake. That may not sound like much, but if both bye teams get upset (which happened to 3 out of the 4 bye teams last year) all of the sudden that 3 seed looks awful nice.

Belichik is a good coach, he will almost definitely be playing to win.
Who knows about Marvin Lewis, i'm hoping the Bengals put a beating on the jets.

mikegrimey
12-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm seeing the jets/Bengals at 1 o 'clock

it got moved to sunday night?

that hurts

SteveS
12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
If Houston wins are we officially out? Or are there any other scenerious mathematically that would get us in (no matter how far fetched they would be)?

Steel Warrior
12-27-2009, 09:12 PM
ur screwed up he is the best safety ever i would take having him in 8 games over any other in 16 mods need to get rid of u :mad:

Oh my, when was the last time you were burped?

Mags87
12-27-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm telling you NE and CIN should be playing to win. That #3 seed is at stake. That may not sound like much, but if both bye teams get upset (which happened to 3 out of the 4 bye teams last year) all of the sudden that 3 seed looks awful nice.

what im saying is that the Pats are playing before the Bengals because NBC picked up the Bengals/Jets game. so if the Pats win like we need too, then that 3 seed is out of reach for the Bengals, so then they cant really gain or lose ground, so they lay down and possibly stick it too us

HughC
12-27-2009, 09:14 PM

On the other hand the #4 seed only has to travel to Indy, while the #3 seed has to travel cross-country to San Diego. If Indy is resting up players already, plus next week and then a bye week, they could be ripe for another one-and-done in the playoffs this year. Plus, I'm sure New England would love another shot at them too.

Mags87
12-27-2009, 09:15 PM
If Houston wins are we officially out? Or are there any other scenerious mathematically that would get us in (no matter how far fetched they would be)?

if Houston wins, we need Denver, NYJ, and Bal to lose. so we are depending on KC, Oakland, and Cincy to win. and these teams have been problems to us so far this year.

on a side note: I HATE THE COLTS COACH!!! :mad:

steelbad@50
12-27-2009, 09:15 PM

Who knows about Marvin Lewis, i'm hoping the Bengals put a beating on the jets.All i know is if i were a head coach i would want to go into the playoffs on a winning note. It just doesnt make sense to give your opponent any hope of beating you later on if you meet again.

steelbad@50
12-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Oh my, when was the last time you were burped?Now thats funny, i dont care who you are:chuckle:

Rotorhead
12-27-2009, 09:43 PM
And like so many games this year . . . it will come down to the very end before we know anything . . . going to be a very long week and an even longer sunday!

mikegrimey
12-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Man, we could all be at the mercy of the Bengals coaching staff by 830 sunday night. This is a pretty big blow. You know if Cincy has the #4 slot locked they're not going to try and get into a slug fest with a very physical NYJ team----the schedule just boned us, very sneaky.

LVSteelersfan
12-27-2009, 10:18 PM
You gotta know the Bungles do not want the Steelers in the playoffs. Of anyone they might have to play, they do not want to meet the Steelers. The Patriots would love to stick it to the Steelers, so they will go all out to win methinks. Our fate was sealed when we lost to the Bears, Chiefs, and Raiders. If we win any one of those games, we are in like Flynn. What a bummer.

mikegrimey
12-27-2009, 10:42 PM
I was just thinking of how upset I would be as a Jaguars fan too.
This isn't the first time Indy has done this too. I remember when they put the screws to the Browns a couple of years back by not playing their starters against Tennessee (who got into the playoffs the last week of the season against the jim sorgi lead colts).

I wouldn't expect the Bengals to do us any favors, but I doubt they're afraid of playing us either. If anything, I imagine they want to play us (who wouldn't want to beat a divisional opponent 3 times in the same year?).

Hopefully they buy into the logic of notw wanting to play the Jets the week after rolling over for them.

LVSteelersfan
12-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Let me see. HMMM. Would the Bungles rather let a rookie QB into the playoffs or a two time Super Bowl Champion QB who has torched them and tormented them for years? Sounds like a no brainer to me. GO RAIDERS. Play the spoiler yet again. You beat us and the Bungles. Make it three times.

mikegrimey
12-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Football players are competetive my friend. Disrespect, doubt is probably the biggest motivator out there these days. You know the Bengals coaching staff would love to play up the 'underdog even though we alreayd beat them twice' angle---it'll get the players going.

Once you're in the playoffs you have to expect to be pitted against the best, and I can't imagine any team wanting it any other way.

You overestimate the steelers influence, really. The Bengals outplayed us at our own game this year---twice. I highly doubt they're afraid to play us.

AFter all, eventually in the AFC you're going to run itno the Mannings Bradys Rivers or Roethlisberger---there's no getting around it, to represent the AFC in the Superbowl you're going to have to take on the top QB's in the league.

So in a tournament where, if they intend to win, they'll have to eventually play some offensive juggernaut with a great QB, why would they shy away from the Steelers?

stb_steeler
12-27-2009, 11:04 PM
You gotta know the Bungles do not want the Steelers in the playoffs. Of anyone they might have to play, they do not want to meet the Steelers. The Patriots would love to stick it to the Steelers, so they will go all out to win methinks. Our fate was sealed when we lost to the Bears, Chiefs, and Raiders. If we win any one of those games, we are in like Flynn. What a bummer.

The Colts dont want to play us either, nor do the Patriots... Thats why Colts left this game go by.... Coach's decided to take Manning out to save him my ass!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-27-2009, 11:48 PM
I've been just enjoying the rest of the sesason since the KC loss, with no real expectations of repeating as SB champs. If by some miracle we make it........cool. But if not, then its time to get ready for the draft. Steelers tried really hard to throw this one away, but the Rats tried harder to get TD's called back with stupid mistakes........comedic genius!!

Preacher
12-28-2009, 01:08 AM
I've been just enjoying the rest of the sesason since the KC loss, with no real expectations of repeating as SB champs. If by some miracle we make it........cool. But if not, then its time to get ready for the draft. Steelers tried really hard to throw this one away, but the Rats tried harder to get TD's called back with stupid mistakes........comedic genius!!

That's about all you can do...

For me, it was the Oakland loss.

Now, its just a fun ride, no matter where it ends up.

MarsRover
12-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Yep. That is the point of all this.

Texans MUST LOSE. Jets OR Ravens must lose.

It really is that easy.

Texans can win and we still get in...although it would take all of the following:

Raiders > Ravens
Chiefs > Bronco's
Bengals > Jets

Gonna make it easy on my brain and just root for the Steelers, Pats and Cinci

Preacher
12-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Texans can win and we still get in...although it would take all of the following:

Raiders > Ravens
Chiefs > Bronco's
Bengals > Jets

Gonna make it easy on my brain and just root for the Steelers, Pats and Cinci

Sigh. for about the 50th time.

No, we need the texans to lose and EITHER the jets or the Ravens to lose.

MarsRover
12-28-2009, 01:19 AM

What are you saying? Read what I said.

Are you saying that if the Texans win we are mathematically eliminated?

That's not true. I just corrected you

Preacher
12-28-2009, 01:22 AM
What are you saying? Read what I said.

Are you saying that if the Texans win we are mathematically eliminated?

That's not true. I just corrected you
LOL

Sorry, like I said, I have read that same type of post about 50 times... guess I missed the top line...

:chuckle:

Yeah, with Texas winning, we need pretty much everything to fall our way.

SH-Rock
12-28-2009, 01:23 AM

That's pretty much it. Our best chance is that NE beats Texans, Baltimore wins against Oakland, Denver wins or loss at KC doesn't matter and the Jets lose to Cinci. It's a long shot. But if we don't make it to the Playoffs, I wan Troy to play one BIG game to end the season off and show the defense how it's done.

And if Houston wins, well KC has to beat Denver, Oak has to be Baltimore, Cinci has to beat Jets.

augustashark
12-28-2009, 01:25 AM
If NE says screw it and sits players, They are most likely to be stuck playing Baltimore. Does not matter what Cincy does on Sun eve. So I would have to question what NE will do. I would think they would rather win and try like hell to get away from Baltimore. If they win they either play us Bal, Denver Jets or Jacksonville.

My thoughts are that NE will play, but Cincy may not care either way. Therefore it would come down to Oakland!!!

Also if NE sits and takes a loss that will leave Cincy a chance to pick who they want to play. Cincy will not care about seeding they will throw the game (I think) so they can play a rookie QB with the Jets and leave NE playing Baltimore (most likely) or Denver.

I don't think Belichick wants to leave his playoff opponent in the hands of Cincy.

Go NE, Go Oakland!:applaudit:

MarsRover
12-28-2009, 01:30 AM
LOL

Sorry, like I said, I have read that same type of post about 50 times... guess I missed the top line...

:chuckle:

Yeah, with Texas winning, we need pretty much everything to fall our way.

no worries....you're right, texans/pats game is pretty much critical for all intents and purposes. i wish it were in new england, blizzard style :grin:

SH-Rock
12-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Please Cinci, Play and Win, stupid colts sat their starters :mad:

lukas
12-28-2009, 02:06 AM
I don't know about the Bengals, but I sincerely doubt that the Patriots will phone it in in the last game. This is the team run by Belichick. You know, the guy who still insists on ruthlessly torching teams in the 4th quarter even during a complete blowout.

Patriots are peaking at the very right time. They're going to be very hot in the playoffs. I don't think they'll let anything ruin their momentum.

Bengals, I have no idea.

SH-Rock
12-28-2009, 02:08 AM
Its either Bengals win, or Oakland wins for Steelers to be in the playoffs

jjpro11
12-28-2009, 02:37 AM
the Pats have only lost one week 17 game since 2001. it was 2005 vs the Dolphins.. it was the only time it appears where the Pats rested Brady (he started and went 3 for 8 passing). all the other games he played basically the entire game, other than 2008 of course.

solardave
12-28-2009, 02:40 AM
don't forget we need to beat Miami.

SH-Rock
12-28-2009, 02:49 AM
don't forget we need to beat Miami.

How can we forget that :doh:

Steelers
12-28-2009, 06:35 AM
You can bet Brady and comp. are licking their chops to get after our horrid defense.

And you know Belicheck and that ego of his will want to settle the Dynasty of the Decade debate on the field. Pats* vs. Steelers.

Triggerfish
12-28-2009, 07:11 AM
One thing I CAN tell you, since I do spend some time in enemy territory at the Pats forums (long story, but suffice to say that I am all PRO-Steelers over there).....the Pats fans want NOTHING to do with the Steelers in the playoffs! They're scared of us, and for good reason. Most of them would actually LOVE to see their Pats just sit their starters and fave ANYONE BUT the Steelers in the playoffs. Honestly, they'd be right too. I honestly feel (and not just being a homer here) that the Steelers have the best chance of making a splash in the playoffs if they sneak in. They're seasoned contenders and will likely have Polamalu back. NO ONE in their right mind would WANT to face them in the postseason. However, we know Bellicheck is an ego-maniac, so i can't see him resting his guys. On th flipside though, the Bengals have little reason to beat the Jets. ESPECIALLY since they will know the outcome of the Pats game before they take the field. We've really been screwed by this rescheduling!

plenewken
12-28-2009, 08:21 AM
We've really been screwed by this rescheduling!

We screwed ourselves and the rescheduling has nothing to do with it.

jev7452
12-28-2009, 09:06 AM
i dont know if this is a dumb question but on Mike and Mike they were talking about playoff scenarios but they already had the broncos in the number 5 seed... why is that possible?? i thought now that things are all tied up that both the steelers and the ravens would have the edge on them..?

Triggerfish
12-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Well, I agree that in the grand scheme of things, we did indeed screw ourselves. Just ONE win over one of the crappy teams we lost to this season, and we're in. However, that being said, first and foremost I'm a Steelers fan, and you bet your a$$ I wanna see them in the postseason! And at the momet, that isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. So while I agree with you to a certain extent, I also feel we're being hosed by the rescheduling.

Triggerfish
12-28-2009, 09:13 AM
i dont know if this is a dumb question but on Mike and Mike they were talking about playoff scenarios but they already had the broncos in the number 5 seed... why is that possible?? i thought now that things are all tied up that both the steelers and the ravens would have the edge on them..?

There are a few ways the Broncos can still sneak in, but you're right. Both us and Baltimore would edge them out in tie-breakers right now. Things get murky when you add another team or two to the tie-breaking scenerio though, which is why it's important for Houston to lose. We don't wanna be involved in a tie with them, as they hold the tie-breaker there. Any head-to-head scenerio with Denver and we're fine since we beat them, but other tied teams make it more complicated.

SteveS
12-28-2009, 09:15 AM

I don't know the details of why as well as some others in here. I will let them explain it to you.

However, amazingly given that right now they are the #5 if the playoffs started today, it still doesn't matter what they do next week for us to get in as #6 and that is even if the Ravens still beat the Raiders and get in as #5. Its just kind of a wacky scenerio that right now the Broncos are #5 but do not control their own destiny. The only two teams that control their own destiny right now are the Ravens and the Jets.

Dino 6 Rings
12-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Howdy Triggerfish...I recognize you LOL

Triggerfish
12-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Wassup Dino! Good to see you on friendly turf. :wink02: I just joined recently. I used to post at SteelerNation last year, but visited it this season and noticed something changed there. So, yea....I ended up here. It's good to be "back"!