PDA

View Full Version : Steelers may have to wait until midnight to see if they make playoffs

Venom
12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
NBC has announced that the Bengals vs Jets game will be the flex game for next Sunday . That means if everything goes the Steelers way , we may have to wait until Sunday at midnight to see we make the playoffs ( if Jets lose ) . It going to be a longgggggggggggg day . :tt04:

RowHH
12-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Had a feeling that would be the case.

Let's hope we have a reason to tune in.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 10:11 PM
see now that really sucks, we wanted the Bengals to play hard going head to head against the Patriots for the 3 seed playing at the same time. Now if the Pats beat the Texans (which we need) the Bengals may not have anything to play for being they'll be the 4 seed already before kickoff...so they may rest starters and that sucks big time for us.

Nadroj 20
12-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Thats really going to suck if we win and the pats win and we have to watch the Bengals lay down and take a beating.....lets hope they still win somehow.

casteeler
12-27-2009, 10:21 PM
It has to be a plus that the nfl decided to make Cin-Nyj a sunday night game! Who wants to look weak in front of the whole nation.... especially going into a wildcard weekend

Merchant
12-27-2009, 11:06 PM
They just announced it.. jets/bengals is gonna be sunday night

Psyychoward86
12-27-2009, 11:27 PM

FML....

LVSteelersfan
12-27-2009, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't put it past the Bungles to stick it to the Steelers seeing how we rocked their world the last time we played them in the playoffs. I don't think they would see us until a championship game though, so it probably wouldn't happen any way. We would have to go to Foxborough if by some miracle we get into the playoffs. Sorry, but Brady would probably throw for 500 yards against us with that weak secondary. Still, I would like to see it. It is so irritating that Indy let the Jets win today. They probably don't like the idea of meeting the Steelers in their first game either.

RowHH
12-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Was just looking at Cincinnati's schedule. They've lost two of their last three games, and the win was unimpressive (vs KC). They don't exactly have tons of momentum ... but maybe that'll motivate them against the Jets.

Also it's possible that if they lose to NY, they'll face them again the following week, albeit in Cincinnati.

WindyCitySteelerFan
12-27-2009, 11:32 PM

Not good for us.. Depending on NE game, Cincy can stuff us out by resting and pulling a Colts.

Merchant
12-27-2009, 11:33 PM
I aunno.. this isn't really worse than a 1pm kickoff other then we gotta wait for the result. Sunday night football.. nationally televised game.. who knows? maybe this will give the Bengals additional incentive to play with meaning

Gnutella
12-27-2009, 11:34 PM
If we don't make the playoffs, we didn't deserve to.

stb_steeler
12-28-2009, 12:12 AM
If we don't make the playoffs, we didn't deserve to.

Kind of seems that way. Just wasnt our year, oh well we dont have much to complain about. 2 SB's in 3 years i'll take that over never winning at all any day !

RavenManiac
12-28-2009, 12:55 AM
This is a bush-league move by the NFL.

Obviously, any bubble team could have prevented the bubble situation by winning more, but that is beside the point.

In this move, the NFL is giving Cincy a large advantage, that is a fact. Assuming New England wins, and Baltimore wins (not even close to assured, but let's assume for now), and Pittsburgh wins, then Cincy will essentially be playing to determine the playoff participants. That is lame.

They will have a choice: If they play hard and win, they would host Baltimore with Pittsburgh getting the 6th seed. If they essentially tank, and rest, and don't show their cards, they would host the Jets again (having shown them nothing), with Baltimore getting the 6th seed. They will choose option #2, I can count on it. Whether they win anyway, while resting and running vanilla plays, is beside the point. The change in schedule will have an effect on the chances of certain playoff matchups. Again, lame.

They should have made the 8 pm game one between two teams that have clinched, say Dallas and Philly. And they should have kept the Cincy/Jets game and the NE/Houston game at the same time.

I am having a hard time understanding the move, as it is so patently unfair.

markymarc
12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
The AFC playoff picture is just crazy considering that the Texans, Ravens, Steelers and Jets are still very much alive. Considering how this season has gone, I would not be surprised to see the Raiders take out the Ravens and the Bengals even with their backups take down the Jets. I definitely see the Patriots easily winning against the Texans even with their backups playing.

SteelerFanInCA
12-28-2009, 03:38 PM
The bengals have been asking for a prime time game. Hopefully playing in front on a national audience will keep the motivation factor there.