PDA

View Full Version : How are we behind Houston?

steel9guy
12-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm tired, just got home from the Steelers game and I don't feel like thinking but last week we were ahead of Houston in the playoff picture and this week were behind. HOW?????

steel9guy
12-27-2009, 10:03 PM
We have the same conf record and a better division record.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
common opponents

they beat the Bengals and the Raiders. we both beat the Titans once.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Right, they are 3-1 against Common Opponents, who are the Raiders, Bengals and Titans.

we are 1-3 against those same 3 teams. (we played Bengals twice and lost both, they played Titans twice and split)

steelreserve
12-27-2009, 10:15 PM
I've got to add that while the common opponents is the right reason, I was pretty damn shocked to find out these homos actually have the upper hand over us. Probably because for 90% of the season, they've been one of the very fringe playoff contenders hanging on by a thread, and they never really did much to indicate they were a good team. I guess when you go on a 5-game losing streak, you can wake up and find yourself in some pretty unexpected situations.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 10:19 PM
I think the Dolphins pulled off one of the worst performances in a long time that I've ever seen from a "playoff" contender. Besides the total melt down of the Cowboys last year in the last game of the season against the Eagles, today's performance by the Dolphins...at home, has to rank up there with one of the worst melt downs of a playoff contender in a long long time.

well besides us losing 5 in a row including to KC, Oak, and Cleveland...and losing 2 times to the Bengals...throw in the loss to the Bears too...cause that was pathetic in hindsight...and we probably should have beaten the Ravens the first time if Dixon doesn't throw that pick...we got the ball first in OT right?

GoSlash27
12-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Here's the deal:
It's not that Houston has a better record, it's that Denver has a better record in conference games.
If we tie Denver for #6 seed, we beat them because we have the head to head win. But when Houston is involved, the sweep no longer applies and then Denver beats us.

LVSteelersfan
12-27-2009, 10:38 PM
We are basically screwed because of Arians play calling in the red zone this year. We left 3 TDs on the field yet again today. And of course Ben got sacked on that empty backfield set yet AGAIN in the red zone. Effin moron Arians cost us a chance at the playoffs with his red zone calls all year long. We won today again DESPITE Arians and his stupid play calls. If by some miracle we get into the playoffs, we are one and done with the lack of offensive TDs. New England will kill that secondary as that is their specialty. Sorry, but that game today was yet another display of a horrible offensive plan and we were extremely lucky to win because of stupid penalties by Baltimore. We could have easily lost by 2 TDs.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-27-2009, 10:50 PM
We are basically screwed because of Arians play calling in the red zone this year. We left 3 TDs on the field yet again today. And of course Ben got sacked on that empty backfield set yet AGAIN in the red zone. Effin moron Arians cost us a chance at the playoffs with his red zone calls all year long. We won today again DESPITE Arians and his stupid play calls. If by some miracle we get into the playoffs, we are one and done with the lack of offensive TDs. New England will kill that secondary as that is their specialty. Sorry, but that game today was yet another display of a horrible offensive plan and we were extremely lucky to win because of stupid penalties by Baltimore. We could have easily lost by 2 TDs.

:coffee:

X-Terminator
12-27-2009, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I'm sure Arians told Mendenhall to drop that easy TD pass that cost us 4 points, or Grisham to drop an easy toss that could have resulted in a first down on the final FG drive. And of course, it was NOT Arians who called for 2 straight run plays inside the 10 that resulted in Mendenhall's TD run.

Seriously, some of you need to put down the Arians haterade and actually PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAME.

It's also hard to believe that here we are in a thread about playoff scenarios and why the Steelers are behind Houston, and there is a post bashing Arians, which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic at hand. It's freaking ridiculous around here anymore.

steelax04
12-28-2009, 08:16 AM

How did this turn into an Arians bashing thread?

FacemeIke
12-28-2009, 08:27 AM
It used to be that tiebreaker #1 was AFC conference record and #2 was divisional record. Apparently at some point that got changed to a process that makes it impossible to determine the #2 tiebreaker without examining each teams week by week schedule.

As far as Arians, if I see Ben get sacked in another five wideout, empty back set I will throw up. We are now 1 for 135 in that set with 75 sacks and our 1 completion being a wide receiver screen. Exaggeration, but you get my point.

steel9guy
12-28-2009, 11:01 AM
It used to be that tiebreaker #1 was AFC conference record and #2 was divisional record. Apparently at some point that got changed to a process that makes it impossible to determine the #2 tiebreaker without examining each teams week by week schedule.

As far as Arians, if I see Ben get sacked in another five wideout, empty back set I will throw up. We are now 1 for 135 in that set with 75 sacks and our 1 completion being a wide receiver screen. Exaggeration, but you get my point.

yeah I thought it was division record after conference record. we screwed ourselves out of this.

ricardisimo
12-28-2009, 01:02 PM
More perplexing is this: Denver lost and moved up a slot in the seeding.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Here's the deal:
It's not that Houston has a better record, it's that Denver has a better record in conference games.
If we tie Denver for #6 seed, we beat them because we have the head to head win. But when Houston is involved, the sweep no longer applies and then Denver beats us.

Bingo.

While it's true that Houston would beat us in a head-to-head tiebreaker (3-1 common game record vs. our 1-3) - the likelihood of it coming down to Pitt and HOU for a WC is slim.

Where they really hurt us more is inserting themselves into the process so that we can't eliminate Denver with our victory over them. Since we didn't play Houston, it will go to Conference record and Denver benefits.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
More perplexing is this: Denver lost and moved up a slot in the seeding.

The week by week seedings just apply the tiebreakers to the current standings - without regard to what the matchups are in Week 17.