PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger's Celebration...

86WARD
12-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Anyone have a clue as to why Big Ben flashes the "Longhorns Sign" when he throws a TD pass as pasrt of his celebration?

RoethlisBURGHer
12-27-2009, 10:01 PM
It's only the Longhorns Sign to fans of the Texas Longhorns. It might have a different meaning to some players on the Steelers. There are a couple Longhorns on the team.

Psyychoward86
12-27-2009, 10:32 PM
That sign has a thousand different names and a thousand different meanings. It has nothing to do with the longhorns obviously, he's just throwin' that baby up to say "rock on!" :tt:

iloveben7
12-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I know Ben points to the sky after a TD to honor his mom who died

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I think he's putting up a number one. Just he's one of those people whose pinky sticks out.

touchdownward
12-27-2009, 11:05 PM
That sign has a thousand different names and a thousand different meanings. It has nothing to do with the longhorns obviously, he's just throwin' that baby up to say "rock on!" :tt:
True. To the deaf community that is the sign for "rock on".

Galax Steeler
12-28-2009, 07:23 AM
I don't care what sign he puts up as long as he makes plays. I guess everyone has some kind of celebration when they make plays. That would be Bens even though I am not sure what he means by it.

Dodt
12-28-2009, 07:30 AM
isn't like the red hawks have a finger thing.

kittenfantastico76
12-28-2009, 07:36 AM
I figured it was the "rock on" hand gesture as well. I tend to do that whenever I'm excited about something that "rocks" and well... a TD does indeed rock.

I think that's sweet that he honors his mother like that. I love that many of the NFL and college players do when they do well on the field. Not just to fallen loved ones but God as well. It's touching.

SteveS
12-28-2009, 07:39 AM
To those that don't know, that hand gesture was invented by the great Ronnie James Dio (of Dio and Black Sabbath) way back in the day. The meaning of it turned out to represent the devil's horns, in sort of a fun and rebellious way for teen heavy metal fans all over the world. The mainstream public seems to like to call it the "rock on" sign, which is probably what Ben means by it.

However, if you are a metalhead (which I am), the true term for it is the devil horns.

\m/

polamalu82
12-28-2009, 08:09 AM
To those that don't know, that hand gesture was invented by the great Ronnie James Dio (of Dio and Black Sabbath) way back in the day. The meaning of it turned out to represent the devil's horns, in sort of a fun and rebellious way for teen heavy metal fans all over the world. The mainstream public seems to like to call it the "rock on" sign, which is probably what Ben means by it.

However, if you are a metalhead (which I am), the true term for it is the devil horns.

\m/

Actually, Dio stole the sign from his grandmother. His grandmother used the sign as the "devil".

I think Ben used it to show that he sold his soul to start winning games again. He was just thanking his new master.:chuckle:

SteveS
12-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Yes, I did know that about his grandmother. I left that out, because I figured it made no difference to my little explaination to getting the point across.

Actually his grandmother used the gesture as what Dio refers to as the "evil eye" and would point it at him when she was angry. So the meaning kind of morphed.

kittenfantastico76
12-28-2009, 08:24 AM

\m/

I was going to go into all of this - well done! (I love me some Dio - technically he said his grandmother started - annnnnd after type this I see everyone else said that too). Of course you know Gene Simmons will argue to the end that HE invented this *wink*

\m/

Vincent
12-28-2009, 08:31 AM

That has been my take. I'd really rather he didn't do that.

http://www.gorelets.com/uncanny/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/hastings-metalfingers.jpg

SteveS
12-28-2009, 08:35 AM
:chuckle:

Simmons probably has an action figure of the devil horns somewhere too.

:wink02:

kittenfantastico76
12-28-2009, 08:38 AM
:chuckle:

Simmons probably has an action figure of the devil horns somewhere too.

:wink02:

Oh you know he does... and he'll probably tax both of us for using his name on this thread as well ;) I love him, but I can't help but pick on him from time to time. :chuckle:

kittenfantastico76
12-28-2009, 08:39 AM
That has been my take. I'd really rather he didn't do that.

http://www.gorelets.com/uncanny/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/hastings-metalfingers.jpg

OH NOES - GOOGLE-EYED SATAN!

SteveS
12-28-2009, 08:40 AM
:rofl:

kittenfantastico76
12-28-2009, 08:45 AM
:rofl:

Seriously - the "Satan's Got Your Nose" one made me snarf my coffee!!! bwahahaha!

HometownGal
12-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Well - whatever it means - Ben - keep rockin' on. :tt02:

StainlessStill
12-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Maybe Ben was a fan of the nWo!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/muertebella/Wolfpack/nwo.jpg

HAWK
12-28-2009, 10:22 AM
well Ben is referring the occultic/satanic meaning of course!

http://www.deafdc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/videoscreenshot.jpg

86WARD
12-28-2009, 05:35 PM
I've read that he's always done it since high school...so it could be the Rock on thing...except he makes a nose like the longhorns and less like the rock on thing...

stillers4me
12-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Who cares. Just keep throwing for 6.

rich4eagle
12-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Ben is the best..............A WINNER ..............enjoy the ride while it lasts

meanwhile Indy lost on purpose to be afraid very afraid of Ben and the Steelers

tony hipchest
12-28-2009, 06:02 PM
whether ben has his devil worshipping signs or conventional sign language mixed up, he said years a go, he flashes an "i love you" sign to his dead mother up in heaven. :noidea:

HAWK
12-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Ben is the best..............A WINNER ..............enjoy the ride while it lasts

meanwhile Indy lost on purpose to be afraid very afraid of Ben and the Steelers

You don't actually believe that do you?

devilsdancefloor
12-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Actually, Dio stole the sign from his grandmother. His grandmother used the sign as the "devil".

I think Ben used it to show that he sold his soul to start winning games again. He was just thanking his new master.:chuckle:

http://i49.tinypic.com/14w639t.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2dsp74k.jpg

Vincent
12-28-2009, 08:46 PM
whether ben has his devil worshipping signs or conventional sign language mixed up, he said years a go, he flashes an "i love you" sign to his dead mother up in heaven. :noidea:

That's probably what he's doing.

Shea
12-28-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm more confused by what \m/ means than what Ben's gesture is about. :huh: